Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, the biggest problem with the Black Coach is that it's the last unit unlocked for VC, by the point it's even an option I am so over the idea of deploying a chariot ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Doom Divers have "only" about 65 AP damage/hit, which is still going to one shot most dwarf models they hit.

Rock Lobbers do have like 200 total AP damage though.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
All the Night Goblin units feel way higher tier than they should be. They're cool units with a bunch of neat gimmicks but they're also in no way competitive with all the actual late game heavy infantry and monsters you're unlocking around the same time.

Night Goblin Swordsmen should unlock at the same time as Orc Boyz, and fanatics shouldn't come any later than Big'uns.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
If they ever get around to releasing Wood Elves and/or Beastmen it could go a long way towards making Brettonia more interesting to play. They did say they were releasing the FLC race towards the end of the year, so it's not impossible that there will be one or more paid DLC factions added before Brettonia.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

peer posted:

You seem to be using words like "need" and "have to be" when what you actually mean is "it would be cool if". We're not gonna get three full factions at once as DLC.

Of course not, but we're also not necessarily getting Brettonia first.

Keep in mind, that the way CA handles DLC factions in their more recent games is that they get added to the map as NPC factions for everyone regardless, buying the DLC just makes them playable and gives you some extra LL/toys like the Chaos DLC does.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I think suggesting that CA is going to ignore the main factions for now and work on minor factions that don't have armybooks is contrary to all evidence. Those nutty russians found references to Beastmen, Wood Elves, Skaven, Tomb Kings, Ogres and Chaos Dwarves as dlc files, (though I expect at least four of those are earmarked for the first expansion) there's nothing in there about Kislev or Estalia and CA has repeatedly said they're not interested in tackling minor factions until they have all the major races in the game.

Here's CA's response to the find, btw.

quote:

Good Spot guys!

*Looks through Dusty Files*

I'm afraid to tell you that this is more than a little out of date!

When we have information on the Trilogy we shall let you know ;) Soon™!

Which denies nothing, really.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

On the subject of Wood Elves and beastmen:

It's a fine non-denial denial.

Not to say that the details and even the release order haven't changed over time but the CA response is pretty meaningless.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Decus posted:

Yeah, CA is still doing faction DLC outside of the expansions. They'll also be doing Lord, item, lore of magic and unit DLC packs. The main expansions they've announced are different from the faction DLC in that they also add entirely new campaigns whereas the faction DLC just adds playables to the grand campaign (the only campaign currently present).

I don't know why people wouldn't expect this when Chaos is already that and not even minor in that they're sort of the final boss and owning or not owning the DLC effects their lords and units/unit weapons. Both CA and GW will greatly enjoy releasing as many $9 factions as they are able to over the space between the new campaigns. If I had to guess, $60 in DLC spread between the various types between each $60 campaign sounds about right! We're currently 9/60.

Technically they are also releasing Mini-campaign packs, like the Caesar in Gaul campaign for Rome that gives you a cool little mini-campaign to play and also unlocks a new faction for the Grand Campaign. (One of the more interesting bits today from the dlc file discovery thing was what looked like a list of factions for a Wood Elf mini-campaign.)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

Lightning srike is indeed awesome and has done a ton of work in my very hard Dwarf campaign, underway travel is also incredibly useful as well and pretty easy to game the intercepcions to destroy whole armies. I'm in the final stage on the campaign, just mop up some vampires and colonize some lost holds and I'm golden.

Looking to play Chaos next, what's the goon consensus about starting lords? Kholek? He seems rather metal but Archafail's campaign bonuses are pretty good, plus he has a lot of quest items.

Kholek is a great starter because he's an impossibly powerful beast from level 1 which will help you coast a long time, also he takes the longest to unlock as a secondary. His campaign bonus isn't too hot though.

Archaon is the second best choice, he takes the second longest to unlock and has decent campaign bonuses plus he's also pretty strong in those early battles.

Sigvald has the worst campaign bonuses and unlocks like 15 minutes into starting a Chaos campaign and is also the weakest in early game battles and his starting army kinda blows. There's no reason to start Siggy ever but he's a great guy to assign your second army to.

Also, if you do start with Kholek be advised that Archaons unlock requirement is 10 sacrifices, not 10 killing. It's poorly worded.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
You beat light missile cavalry stacks by standing your ground and shooting them to death, it's not that difficult tbh. If you have an excellent fast melee unit like Chaos Hounds or any flying unit you can also use those to destroy them. Missile Cav only wins by tricking you into chasing it around the field and splitting your troops up for no reason.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Deified Data posted:

How do you guys spec out Thorgrim?

I build him as an invulnerable buff tank. Lots of leadership with a side in combat skills focusing on defense.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

Does the "poor against armor " stat actually mean anything? Goblin archers still seem to wreck anything that doesn't have a shield whether it has armor or not, and dire wolf or hound rear charges still do well against even heavily armored troops.

I suspect this is more because of difficulty settings giving the AI bonuses, but yes. Goblin Archers have 2 AP damage, which is pitiful, and they do much less damage against armored targets than any of the "normal" ranged units, including Arrer Boyz, Crossbows, and Quarrelers. Trust me, I tested this.

That said, sheer mass of fire still adds up, so while the Goblin Archers penetration is about the worst in the game if you've got 6 of them focusing a unit they're still going to kill dudes a lot faster than you'd expect. Always be shooting ranged units as Dwarves.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

From that one Reddit thread, armour blocks between 50 and 100% its full value worth of non-AP damage per hit.

I don't know how to explain goblin archers hammering a greatsword unit. Either there's a different mechanic for ranged damage, or maybe fatigue/morale is doing something?

Edit: oh looks like that article has gone back on that....

That guy did a later post where he said armor in this game works by percentage (ie a 50 armor roll reduces damage by 50% instead of -50) instead of raw numbers. So 100 armor in practice is 75% damage resistance against non AP damage.

It makes sense, if only because there's so many units that should be one-shotting everything off of raw damage otherwise.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dongattack posted:

I put this down while finishing Blood & Wine and having my fill of Hearts of Iron 4, but now when i try to play again i have this horrible flickering bug on the campaign map that i have never seen before. No graphical option change seems to do anything, Vsync on/off and windowed mode on/off as suggested in google searches did nothing and absolutely nothing about my system has changed since last time i played save updated Nvidia drivers.

Anyone had this and found a way to fix it?

Try rolling back your drivers, Nvidia screwed up and hasn't released proper Warhammer drivers yet.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
After playing a lot of Chaos recently, I think the biggest issue for them is just autoresolve mauling single model units really. It effects everyone but it's the worst for Chaos because outside of friendly settlements you'll never see again after leaving the north your Lords and Heroes will basically never get their health back, (250 HP per turn while encamped, yay!) I've had Sigvald sitting at 300 HP after autoresolving two easy garrison fights and that dude is literally invulnerable in real fights.

For your regular units it doesn't even matter, merge and replace, you can one turn half a stack of gold chevron units anyway so who loving cares. If autoresolve gets fixed I can see Chaos being way less of a slog to play.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Blacktoll posted:

I see, people feel very strongly about legendary lords not healing as fast as others. CA, get on this stat.

I am 100% sure you've never played Chaos.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

For those curious these are the rules CA is using for their tournament.

If these rules are indicative of what they have in mind for balance changes then I think we're on a good track.

Note that this isn't a CA official tournament, it's ESL, and they've been doing Sunday tournaments on the official channel for almost a month now, with the rules changing every week. I'm sure the CA balance guys are keeping a close eye on results though.

It might seem weird, but CA has guest streamers using their channel on weekends pretty much continually.

madmac fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 19, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rakthar posted:

With Rome 2 etc there were a variety of community setting for tournaments that became popular. No more than 6 of one unit, no more than two chariots I believe, and some other stuff.

This is an ESL tournament, not a CA tournament, right? How did people decide CA's balancing group made those restrictions? I believe CA had nothing to do with it at all.

They're all community rules, CA has nothing to do with the tournament or how it's run other than letting them stream it on their twitch channel.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

Huh. I'm not sure an expansion that adds nothing but Chaos variants would have enough staying power though.

That was definitely the most surprising and questionable bit. Well, even if factions aren't the main draw they could in theory make it attractive by bundling enough new mechanics or whatever. Plus it would probably allow for them to make some final super event involving full strength chaos to tie the games together. I'm still really skeptical but I can kinda vaguely see it.

Alternately, they may just have decided that there wasn't enough going on in the south/eastern part of the map to make a decent stand alone expansion out of it. Chaos Gods might not be a huge draw, but bundling most of the least popular races (Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, Ogres) in the least interesting part of the map for the first expansion isn't brilliant either. Doing those races as DLC means they can just gradually expand the base game map as they get added.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

My money is on Tuesday. There were fiddling with DLC 2 and 3 files last week and like to release everything together and Tuesday is the day all things are released so it's a safe bet.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Archonex posted:

As a side note, what the heck is DLC 2 (The one that might be upcoming.) supposed to be? That russian blog translates it to krovushki, which I have no idea how to parse.

No one really knows at this point. Taking a look at Atillas DLC schedule, just because that was their most recent game:

Game Release+ Vikings Preorder DLC: Feb 17 2015
Longbeards Culture Pack: Mar 5 2015
Blood and Gore+Celts Mar 25 2015
Last Roman Campaign June 25 2015
Empire of Sands Sep 15 2015
Age of Charlemagne Dec 10 2015
Slavs Feb 25 2016

So basically Blood+2 culture packs within 5 weeks, first mini-campaign within 4 months, another (much higher quality) faction pack at 7 months, second mini-campaign 10 months out, and slavs were timed for the final patch so they were pretty much a whenever sorta thing.

Obviously Warhammer DLC is more work than Atilla's was, but they delayed the game a month and the DLC team has been working on Warhammer since the beginning of March.

My prediction is they'll announce Blood and Gore+one more DLC this week and the free Vampire unit, probably a LL pack, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked with Beastmen, they'll want at least one new faction out relatively quickly. (Whenever Beastmen come out, they'll probably be bundled with the FLC Lore of Beasts and new Empire Wizard.)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Wallet posted:

The obvious faction targets, based on the files, are Kislev and Bretonnia. Even without the stuff in the files they'd be the most likely, since CA already has a shitload of human assets they can probably reuse. I'd be extremely surprised to see anyone else show up before them.

I'd say it's the opposite, Bretts being free means there's no hurry to get them out (And they already said the FLC faction won't come out until near the end of the year) and Chaos Dwarves are more confirmed than Kislev is at this point.

There's no way CA plans to wait 4-5 months to release any paid DLC factions, so Bretts will almost assuredly come after at least one or two other factions.

Bretts make sense from a man-hour perspective but not from a money/hype view, and they have to add two more magic lores for them anyway so it's not actually that simple.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 20, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

drat Dirty Ape posted:

In my greenskin campaign I made an effort to be sure I could hire a bunch of Goblin Big Bosses early. The swarm of them basically annoy my enemies like the AI used to do to me when I played dwarfs. They are good at assassinating, blocking, breaking walls, stopping enemy agents, and clearing corruption. I don't think the shaman agents are nearly as useful, though I like them better as embedded heroes in an army. I think the greenskins really should have an 'orc boss' type of hero too.

It's a little odd but right now Empire and Vampires are the only races with a full "set" of agents. Assassin, Wizard, Warrior, Priest.

Orcs don't have Priests or Warriors

Chaos doesn't have Priests or Assassins.

Dwarves don't have poo poo. Well ok, they have Warriors and two weird hybrid agents with the Engineer and Runesmith, but seriously they're the worst at agent poo poo.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I think it's actually attrition that makes the AI group up heroes like that. I see little parties of weirdos like that all the time up in the chaos wastes and that's without running any mods. I've also had some Orc attacks against me as Vampires where armies included like 5 shamans each.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Isnt the Greater Demon/Keeper o' Change you see in the campaign kinda weak for what a Great Demon is supposed to be? Combat wise. Even though he's of course mainly a caster-type of demon I guess, I was really expecting a real badass motherfucker.

The saddest thing is that he's a Lore of Metal caster, so he just spams Searing Doom and wonders why it doesn't do anything. Sarthorial is pretty much Gelt who lifts sometimes.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fangz posted:

There's still room for rebalancing magic on vanilla large, especially searing rain.

I was surprised how amazing vanilla fireball is though, when I had a proper go at it. Fire it into the flank of a line of units and it does a ridiculous number of kills.

Projectile spells in general are second only to Death Magic in effectiveness, imo. With a lucky shot something like Shems Burning Gaze actually hits much harder than Spirit Leech against commanders.

AOE/Vortex spells are still all over the place on large size, though. The best of the best are worth using sometimes and that's about it.

There's a Reddit thread digging into magic stats right now that's actually pretty interesting if you go into the comments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4pe2gc/warhammer_here_are_stats_for_every_spell/

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mans posted:

I want to see blood spraying all over the place when the giant bites someone's head off.

Is it the goblin big boss or the night goblin hero that has that sneaky stabby spell? It's super useful versus dwarves.

That would be the Night Goblin Shaman

The Gobbo Big Boss is a pansy riding a spider, he's a great agent but possibly the worst combat hero in the game.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

According to their FLC schedule the first thing is going to be a free unit:

I'm hoping it's one of the following:

Goblin Spear Chukka
Dwarf Ballista
Squigs

The paid DLC could be a Lord Pack, Race Pack or Campaign Pack. I think's it's probably too early to hope for a Race pack so maybe some new Legendary Lords and units.

The free unit will be for VC, thus the flag. (Also they said way back that an extra VC unit would be added post release.)

The first free LL also seems to be for Vampires, while the second will be Wazaug for Orcs. I could see them adding squigs along with Wazaug though.

The three lores/empire heroes will almost certainly be the missing Lores of Life, Beasts, and Shadow along with the accompanying wizards.

Free race is Bretts, almost certainly, and the placement after two lores added makes sense because they'll need those Lores.

As for paid DLC, if we're getting a small one now and a big one a little later, easy bet is Blood or a Lord pack for the first DLC and a race or campaign pack for the second, because there's nothing else they'd likely have been working on for that long. (I'm guessing Beastmen, bundled with the second FLC, Lore of Beasts)

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, Overcasted* Final Transmutation is actually quite potent, it just costs a shitload of mana.

*The overcast part is important, it's a pretty drastic upgrade over the normal version.

madmac fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 24, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Really? I thought it worked that way at first, but could have sworn someone did a test that showed the other way around. If so, then FT is great.

Tooltip mentions Halberdiers for me

Halbediers get Honest Steel, yes. It's why it's better than most of the other races basic infantry buff, it applies to units you'll actually be using all game.

Also, did a quick test of Final Transmutation and yes, spell loving owns. ~1600 damage each to four different infantry units and the General off a single overcast.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
lol, Darrentw playing VH Radius on stream, entire army gets wiped except Ungrim, puts the game on 2x speed for 10 minutes while Ungrim nearly solos the entire enemy army. "Uh, I don't think I want to play this mod anymore."

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That doesn't sound far off from my vanilla experience witha combat lord.

Not early game on VH against a full stack, I would hope.

Part of the problem was that the AI kept trying to break off and form into pretty lines while engaging a single unit, which is definitely modded behavior.

quote:

Just found out that the Runes the dwarven runiepriest have are incredibly good for loving with Enemy units. Like the one offensive rune they get took half the life off of a full ranked unit of Chaos Knights in the "axe of dargo" quest battle.

Yeah, the Rune of Wrath and Ruin is pretty drat good, it's just a DOT with a really bad particle effect so the effect isn't immediately noticeable.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
One of the interesting things that came out from digging into spell stats is that basically all the direct damage/dot spells have a built in model cap, essentially they can only kill so many dudes in a unit even if they're all goblins and have super weak HP. Which is all well and good for infantry blocks but it's what makes spells like Fate of Bjuna so brutal against Cav and other small elite units.

Honestly the cap should probably be adjusted to be proportional instead of a flat number, but eh lets just see what they do in the first patch first.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Gonna quote this guy from the official forums about how Searing Doom and similar spells work, because it explains a lot.

quote:

Bombardment spells (Cassandora, Urannon's Thunderbolt, Searing Doom, Bolts of Burning) function very differently. They basically spawn projectiles above the unit, which function in pretty much like any other projectile in game. You can futz with their gravity and make them do funny things like fall super-slowly - I think theoretically you could even make the Comet bounce or roll.

Searing Doom drops 50 projectiles (70 when overcast), each of which does 13 normal damage and 7 AP damage. So if all 70 hit, it would do 1400 damage to an unarmoured unit. That's slightly less than a volley of crossbow bolts from a unit of quarrellers that hits with every bolt. But that's a best case scenario. Many of the projectiles will miss, and because they fall straight down if they miss one model they miss all of them. And if (as may be the case) units that are knocked down or flying about don't take any damage, then any double-hits are wasted, too.

Even if the individual projectiles did way more damage it wouldn't make any difference. Since the spell only has a small area of effect, it can only hit a small number of models at any one time. Even if it killed the people it hit 100% of the time, great, but it's only 20 men out of 160, and all the excess damage is just wasted. You could, in theory, up the area of effect and the number of projectiles, which might make it more effective. But make the AoE too big and the projectiles are more like to miss. I can see why CA said that balancing magic for various unit sizes is tricky!

Cassandora effectively spawns an enormous cannon-ball above the unit, which then behaves like any other projectile. The actual Cassandora projectile has the highest damage of any projectile in the game, over 1000. It basically kills any normal model it hits and can knock a decent chunk of hp off a Lord or hero. It even does damage to walls and towers, about 14% per cast.

However, it's also quite small, and doesn't land exactly in the centre of the spell casting area - like other projectiles, it can go off target. It's quite possible to drop it on a unit standing perfectly still in the dead centre of the radius and have it miss them completely. But when it lands on regular infantry, it kills them flat dead. This part of the spell seems to be working fine.

However, the Comet also causes an explosion on impact. In theory this should do a lot of damage (144 AP when overcast, which is huge) but as per @rhinoinsomniac 's results, explosions seem to suffer from similar problems as vortexes.

There's some other interesting stuff there, apparently Purple Sun can actually do a shitload of damage against very heavy units like Chaos Warriors, but anything light enough to get picked up and thrown around basically takes nothing. Not that it makes those spells good really, but it's an interesting read.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

See what is everyones opinion on Ungrim Iron Fist, because I basically found that he can hold up an entire flank of enemy troops on his own.

He's pretty much the Dwarf Grimgor, except without his good campaign bonuses and starting army.

Still, Thorgrim is vastly easier to unlock and his quest items are something you can't even start working on until halfway through the campaign so after a couple of starts I've come to slightly prefer starting Ungrim.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Dre2Dee2 posted:

So if Beastmen do get added... where the hell would they end up? Map seems pretty crowded as is. Would they be able to take any settlements, or would they be another horde army?

No one really knows, but their fluff includes hating the poo poo out of civilization and buildings in any form, so horde seems very likely.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gonkish posted:

I wonder if they'll throw us any bones on what the DLC plan is now that the game has been out for a month.

Some kind of facebook announcement today in about two hours, according to their twitter account.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Something they mentioned on the stream that I don't think is in the patch notes, there's now events in the campaign that can spawn new Savage Orc hordes, instead of them being a thing that disappears forever 12 turns into the game.

Balance changes look pretty good, magic changes are as vague as ever. Looks like they nerfed direct damage by making it more random, buffed Invocation of Nehek and speed buffs, and probably did nothing for vortex/aoe spells yet, so Gelt campaign still a no go for me.

They also mentioned that the cryptic teaser they posted yesterday has nothing to do with the patch or Blood Knights, so that's up in the air.

madmac fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 29, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

God no, that's awful. In my very hard dwarf campaign, savage orcs were the strongest orc faction and survived until turn 90-something, had to chase them across the badlands to raze all their settlements. So incredibly annoying.

They also nerfed Savage Orc units across the board. I think they were more talking about the Bonerippers and other hordes that hang around the Empire though. Those guys do vanish way too quickly.

Edit: Ok poo poo, Top Knots too. Whelp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gejnor posted:

They didn't give them any actual stats buffs though so they are still trap status for most of us. The only way to make them truly viable is to install a mod that either gives them some damage mitigation or turns them super cheap volounteer type units. What they did do is that now auto-resolve won't insta murder them which is good!

Making Slayers more resistant to knockdown is a sorta interesting sidways buff, given how many monster units have big sweeping knockback effects. They're still gonna be basically a flavor unit though.

As for Flame Cannons, they actually lob fireballs, so giving them an arc effect is pretty trivial.

• Locked thread