Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Lots of people are really butt hurt about misunderstanding the stance system.

Total War players :downs:

The AI gets bonuses I don't get? Bad design!

The AI intelligently uses the same system I do? Bad design!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Because it loving sucks to chase AI armies around your territory and not catch them AND have them sack your cities in the process.

Build walls, block movement, and ambush stance all help with this.

I used to think this was a bigger problem, but after playing and watching people rage about literally impossible scenarios I'm pretty sure it's just a combination of mechanics ignorance and people wanting the game to exactly conform to their preferred style of play.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

Well, I'm glad that we've decided that the AI's ability to sack you is great stuff and that people enjoy the CA gameplay as delivered. Hell they've captured the flavor of the mongols and the roman rebels. They're just giving the fans what they want to great critical and financial success.

So the next time the AI moves past your defending stack, sacks your city, and ends the turn outside your movement range - remember. People love that poo poo.

Adjust your strategy, or download mods to change things bro. It's not a universal problem, and your mad posting isn't going to change it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ugh the strategy layer is boring, the AI is so hapless!

Ugh the strategy layer is terrible, the AI is always outmaneuvering me and sacking my undefended settlements!

Christ, are you serious? If you just want to slam armies together play custom battles or multi player.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Wilekat posted:

I just besieged a Border Princes city and it looked like a quaint English city except every possible mountainous surface had a giant skull carved into it.

Warhammer geography is really weird.

Vampiric Corruption does that, iirc.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Is anyone else using a magic mod? I'm using Maloy's Spell mod, and it owns. I'm on VC right now, and the changes are cool. He kept Spirit Leech's damage, just hacked the range way down. I basically just have Manfred/Other Von Carstein cast it as he's charging into their Lord.

I do find the reduced range on it incentives me to cast more Danse and Aspect of the Dreadknight. I haven't picked up a lot of the other spells. I got him +15% casualty Replenishment, a few combat talents and the Zombie Dragon. Now I've got five more talents and I'm torn between shooting for lighting strike or Fate of Bjuna and Purple Sun.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I haven't done an Empire playthrough yet, tell me Ghal Maraz isn't underwhelming in tactical battles. It's head and shoulders above all the other major magic weapons on the tabletop.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I still can't believe people actually dislike RO. It's one of their very best ideas, from a gameplay and story perspective.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Aurubin posted:

Why are hellcannons unbreakable? Is that a tabletop thing?

Yes. The Cannon is an unbreakable Daemon murder machine who will annihilate elite units (doesn't care whose) if it's handlers get killed (or it eats them).

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Rakthar posted:

So the bold restriction of "You can conquer these holds but not those holds, because otherwise the campaign turns into a messy clusterfuck" is the compelling gameplay that we were lacking to push this series into blockbuster territory, there we go.

Unironically, yes.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

Anyone know if any mods exist to have orc WAAAGHH armies be controlled by the AI?

Or happen to know how I could enable this myself?

Uncheck control large army.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

+1 Upboat to Maloy's Spells, it's super good and everyone should DL it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

They've said they will be. Playing as Brets will probably either buff the other faux French factions, or maybe you'll find some Eastern humans inexplicably balls deep in your provinces like the early Chaos starts.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ammanas posted:

Can you define what successful means in this context

Profitable.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

The vanilla veterancy bonuses are fine. Gold chevron halberdiers will fight basically to the last near a lord even on v hard.

It's also trivial to game veterancy with the relevant hero's- if the bonuses were bigger, it'd be too easy to create superhero state troops

3 Thanes churning out a bunch of tiny Gods Under the Mountains

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Verranicus posted:

So I started up a quick game as Orks just now and got a few turns in, captured a couple settlements before Thorgrim came down with a doomstack and kicked my rear end. I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I suspect I wasted too much time encircling settlements before attacking them because the tutorial told me it was a good idea, but thinking back I don't remember seeing any attrition done to the settlements I was encircling at all. Was I doing something wrong or is encircling not as useful in this as previous games?

Orcs :orks: is 40K.

:colbert:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Full veterancy halberds in an honest steel army are ridiculous. When they're braced they can take a chaos knight charge and lose like 10 guys and destroy the Knights. I end up killing more with them with less losses than my greatswords in most battles where they're not getting shot

Can confirm, I do not like halberdiers as either VC or Chaos.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Hellcannons own, for a lot of reasons. In field battled a battery of four Hellcannons will force just about any army to charge across the field to you, which is just hilarious. I've seen armies nearly break by the time the lines hit just from veteran Hellcannon fire on the way across the field.

They're a single piece artillery unit so if you're good at the manual fire mode you can rack up loads of kills.

They let you assault walls right away, so you're various monsters can just batter down the gate while your Hellcannons rake the walls.

Hellcannons just own.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

First reply good second reply bad

(Chaos starts out fun but it's a stupid grind for the back third.)

Yeah my biggest issues with Chaos are the Norscan grind then trying to battle 2-4 southron stacks at a time while avoiding excessive infighting. Chaos always deathballs against you, but you definitely can't put four stacks together like that.

I countered agent spam with a couple assassination specced Exalted Heroes.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

President Ark posted:

if you really just want to talk about the game you might want to take a slightly less confrontational tone, friend

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Which spell mod is the goodmod? And does it make even Metal ok?

Metal owns bones. Plague of Rust single target is an - 80 Armour malus, for 15 seconds. Whatever you tagged with it is massively hosed. The overcast version is a thirty second - 30 Armour malus in a huge AoE.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

This is the corner camp that earned me the win a battle against 10-1 odds cheevo. Many undead were dusted that day, so great were there numbers that the mighty Grudge Thowers ran out of grudge inscribed stones! Many Quarrelers ran out of bolts!

I even have + Ammunition Techs and character abilities, hah.

I can't believe I forgot to take more screenshots :(

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Yeah, I begrudgingly installed my only mod to balance them.

This game is substantially better with a few mods. There are a lot of relatively low impact and cool mods on the workshop, some goon made and approved!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Gejnor posted:

Hello friends, i have made yet another Mod.

This is for all you who think the Legendary Items just don't cut it (or not really worth the effort) in many places when compared to certain green and blues but also don't want super OP items that more or less break the games balance: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876

Ive added a full list of changes in the mod page, if you guys want to see it in here just tell me. I didn't wanna clog up the thread with basically a massive wall of text unasked :ohdear:

Is this compatible with Molay's? Is it possible to make the quests themselves less trying? All of Thorgrim's are obnoxious as hell.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Fangz posted:

Hang on though. Actions like assault units don't trigger fatigue while assassinations do. Doesn't this just make the situation worse?

This is better than chain killing dudes, IMO.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Why are y'all so mad that the AI tries to fight when it calculates a good chance it will win, and not when it doesn't?

:confused:

People have bitched for years about the dumb AI and now we're seamlessly bitching about a smarter AI?

:confused: :confused:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Anything next to Grimgor is awesome, but yeah putting them next to the general at least makes them not immediately run away. Still, I mostly just include them now and then because they look cool and I like variety. IMO they are one of the worst 'bang for your buck' greenskin (and chaos) units.

I always got a lot of milage out of mine. Even when they brake they don't shatter usually, so they just run off, then heal up and charge again. It's like an enforced cycle charge, :haw:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Sathoriel is much better with Molay's Lore of Metal, hah.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Is it even possible to lose a siege defence as dwarfs in a settlement that has walls

Working as intended :colbert:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Decus posted:

If you're the AI, yeah.

If you've lost a Siege defence as dorfs where you weren't outrageously outnumbered by quality ranked up dudes you need to share your beard and hurl yourself at the nearest troll.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Vargs posted:

No, because you never do siege defense battles in this game.

I have fought off multiple orc and Bjornling wall assaults. It is fun and good.

Closest call I had was when I sent a unit of miners "sallying" out of the gate to try and slow down some trolls. They routed, which opened the gate for said trolls :downs:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

e: And even though the game lists the dwarfs starting position as easy I don't necessarily think they are the easiest faction to play.

They're face roll easy, ime. I've lost the occasional settlement, even had Mount Squighorn sacked once, but I've never lost forward momentum and I've been rolling in gold since like turn 20.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Vargs posted:

Watching flying units (other than bats) try to chase things down is downright comical. Good luck killing even a single fleeing goblin with a terrorgheist.

Yeah, I'm guessing this is another weird consequence of >1 hp. They're probably very easy to hit while routing but the pursuers still have to play their animation, hit, beat armor, and then chew through hp right?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I enjoyed the enormous siege ballista in Rome 2.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yukitsu posted:

I use them against dwarves consistently since none of the dwarven units easily counter them and they're a counter against their entire roster.

This is hilarious because in the tabletop game anything that had a good rule that magical weapons ignored got hosed by Dorfs because of their arsenal of Runed artillery would obliterate them.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Don't forget that individual mans have HP. So when that block of nerds gets hit by your big ol' Hellcannon/Cannon/Spell/Fanatic damage is being done but individual dudes you think should be dead will get back up. That unit still has less aggregate HP though, and fewer dudes will get us after subsequent attacks and the unit will die faster in melee.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Dude that giant biting the soldiers head off was awesome. They mean Blood for the Blood God!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Part of the advantage of Blood Knights compared to Black Knights is that they didn't crumble (because they're vampires, and not reanimated by the wizard leading the army). Having a unit that actually retreats would be amazing compared to your Terrorgheist spontaneously combusting as soon as it's surrounded.

Which edition was this? Every edition I've played had vampires crumbling rather than taking leadership tests. They're still undead after all.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Eighth Edition, which TW:WH is based on. There's a special rule called Vampiric that keeps them from crumbling when the general dies. I guess leadership tests still caused a drop in health.

Yeah, that was in other editions too. Vampiric units crumble slower after the general's death but still fall under the usual undead rules about not taking break tests and just take a no saves wound per point they lost combat by.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The voices in his head don't have a website.

There's one reddit post complaining about difficulty uninstalling. That's all that googly showed me.

• Locked thread