Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

DiHK posted:

This is the number 1 reason why this game is a contender best TW ever.

Early in my VC campaign Templehoff bum rushed me with a full stack after I took one one of the northward cities. I was trapped and seriously overmatched. All but Manny and his vargulf died fairly quickly and I spent a good 8 minutes just healing the Vargulf, meleeing Templehoff down and whacking undead. They whittled through 6 units

I named the Vargulf Fluffy.

Same, right down to the varghulf's name, but I charged Templehof on the first turn instead of the other way round, and fought him, his garrison, and the leader dude in the castle. Sniped his lord with Manny and Fluffy and spent the next 15 minutes managing Fluffy's HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

What kind of sustained attack do I need to dislodge Hellstorm crew? I have Archaon and Sarthorel reinforcing each other with about ten cannons total and if I take those off the field with bats / wolves / vargs the battle is mine.

Nah. Having vampiric corruption already keeps anyone near me from getting too feisty and with minimal economic management this game would get kinda boring if all I had to do was paint myself a walled corner in time to face north.

In the fight that I'm about to post screenshots from, I sent all my fliers to the cannons while my ground units formed a line. The cannons just shot ineffectually at terrorgheists, and once Archaon's army walked far enough toward my ground army, I dropped vargheists, terrorgheists, and Manny on his cannons and ate them. Meanwhile, Sarth's army, which was reinforcing, spawned way too far back to shoot anything with its cannons and the army itself ran directly toward my ground army, leaving them way behind. One unit of regular bats ate all those cannons as the rest of my fliers went back to get ready to fight.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Manny and another lord that was just building up fighting Archaon and Sarthorael at Kislev. Autoresolve had the odds at about 4:1 in favor of Chaos.

I only got the idea to start taking screenshots halfway through the fight :v:

Using vargheists properly. Note the enemy already piled up on the ghouls and crypt horrors.

Someone didn't think his cunning plan all the way through...

A terrorgheist doing the goomba stomp off a dying giant.

The Everfailure wants no part of a fight with Manny. Manny doesn't even have his zombie dragon yet.

And another one bites the dust...

Sophie hits this line with soulblight right before she charges home. Hundreds of battle-hardened Chaos Warriors rout immediately from one girl with a bad hairdo as the vargheists fly off to engage another line.

The vargheists drop on the main battle line just as Archaon starts to rout. Johnny the chaos giant just right of center screen is about to have a bad day.

The big pile of dudes that ran from soulblight can be seen still running, just over the shoulder of that center vargheist.

Manny finally runs the Everfleeing down.

A bird's eye view of the final push. That thing disintegrating on the left over there is some crypt horrors. I finally lost a unit of crypt horrors :(

Johnny almost got out. Seriously, the line is just a few yards in front of him.

Poor Johnny.

So, I made a big mistake with this fight, not that it really mattered because VCs are so drat good. Can anyone tell me what it is? Hint: it did not happen in the battle itself.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

has anyone looted a Seed of Rebirth?

I got one. Once. Common, my rear end.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

Does this mean The Best Faction will be coming soon? I hope so. The only other factions I've seen mentioned ingame are the elves and the chaos dwarfs

CA have stated that they will add every army that has a current army book as a playable race. So yes, barring the company collapsing or some similar catastrophe, there will be lizardmen eventually. And Skaven too, I guess.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Vargs posted:

I tried putting them up 1v1 against the types of opponents that you'd think they should be excellent against, like Greatswords or Chaos Warriors w/ Great Weapons. Similar cost units who's strengths don't help much against ghosts. The enemy AP damage doesn't matter since wraiths don't have armor anyways, wraiths themselves can chew through highly armored units, and there's no magic involved. Unfortunately they get ghostbusted every time due to their poor offensive stats and incredibly low hp. They'll get more benefit from invocation of nehek than other undead, but why would you ever use it when you could instead spend those winds on death magic?

If you can get a banner with physical damage reduction I can see wraiths being quite good, but that's not something you can count on, especially in large numbers. I never got any on my VC campaign.

That's not what wraiths are designed to kill though. Wraiths are for killing elite low model count poo poo like demigryphs and heroes. Greatswords are a full-size infantry unit, so they outnumber the wraiths, and they're an anti-infantry infantry, so they even get bonus damage vs cairn wraiths, though not against hexwraiths. I would have figured wraiths would at least come out about even vs chaos warriors though, that sucks.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

Isnt the Greater Demon/Keeper o' Change you see in the campaign kinda weak for what a Great Demon is supposed to be? Combat wise. Even though he's of course mainly a caster-type of demon I guess, I was really expecting a real badass motherfucker.

Yes, he's pretty weak, even for a "caster daemon". Going by the tabletop rules, he should be able to fly, and should be about as strong as Franz on Deathclaw, only tougher. Also he should cause terror. And have access to another lore, but since lore of Tzeench isn't in the game yet, he's stuck with lore of poo poo metal.

Basically, greater daemons are not to be hosed with. even the relatively non-combat Lords of Change.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

The Trolls then were awestruck at the size of the city, failed a leadership check, and fled for the rest of the game I assume.

Sounds about right.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

What unit are VCs getting? SKELLINGTON ARCHERS!?!?

Naw, that's TKs. VC don't get any ranged units, period. I'm hoping for the Mortis Engine, but my money's on Blood Knights.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Final Transmutation is good at sniping lords who aren't near their armies (read: none of them)

Final Transmutation doesn't spread its damage across all affected units, it spreads its damage across all models in each unit affected. It will do full damage to each unit in the AOE.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

alex314 posted:

Just had a battle where Slayer King probably fell off the wall. I wasn't paying attention to him as he climbed the ladder and I've ordered some quarellers to nuke wall defending savage orcs and then I suddenly get "Lord wounded" message. He was at least at half HP.

He fell through the wall. I had Grimgor do it - he climbed up the ladder, jumped over the ramparts, and promptly fell to his death inside the wall model. It happened again when i reloaded and played the battle again, sending him up the same wall, so it's an issue with some wall models, I think. When I sent him to a different wall following another reload, he was just fine.

Where did it happen for you? It was one of the cities in Blightwater or the southern badlands for me, I think.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Does anyone know what circumstances cause which traits?

I hear if you spare enemy units too often, you get "Likes (race)", but sometimes you get it even if you murder them so :shrug:. Grimgor had Likes Dwarves but unless the subtext was "for dinner" I don't even know, because I never repatriated a single dwarf. I ate those motherfuckers.

I also know that attending the Grung Zint Imperial Military Academy turned every single one of my lords crooked as gently caress, but I don't know if that has to do with the process of beating down the greenskins or if it was them replenishing in or near Marienburg, which in the lore is a real wretched hive.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Could be all the looting? (Lots of sacking rather than the more militarily legitimate occupying/razing)

I didn't sack often. If you sack it too much, it will rebel, and the rebels will take over the city, and then you have to raze it. So most of the time I only killed the lord that respawned every turn and only sacked the settlement if I failed to kill all the garrison troops, which left me stuck in the city aggro radius.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Crypt Horrors just picked up a nerf, see how that goes.

It would have to be a hell of a nerf to make them as bad as trolls. Horrors are probably the single best unit on the VC roster and one of the best units in the game, period.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Verranicus posted:

W10 comes bundled with literal spyware and is uglier and less functional than 7 in every way.

What literal spyware is this? I've been considering windows 10 for DX12 but I'm definitely not interested in free spyware.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Is there any way other than war to eject a trespassing army of a non-hostile foreign power? Brettonia is trespassing in Marienburg with the clear intent of destroying the Imperial Military Academy, and if they do, they're gonna become the new IMA. But they're friendly, and trade partners, so I don't want to kill them if I don't have to.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

You could Siege the IMA for a while? It seems that you can't attack a settlement while someone else is sieging it.

You know, I hadn't thought of that. I'd rather be able to tell the shitbags to get the gently caress out of my house, but this will do in the mean time. Thanks.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

What makes orc/goblin and bret archers good? Cheapness?

They aren't good. But they are the "best archers" by dint of being the only actual archers. Crossbowmen and quarrelers are crossbowmen, handgunners and thunderers are riflemen.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
I'm really looking forward to nuking some poor bastard with a giant fuckoff laser cannon from the back of a dinosaur.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

Wood Elfs shtick was skilled and fragile Elfs backed up by really tough Forest Spirits.

And warhawk riders. You thought norscans were annoying with their full stacks of missile cavalry? Just wait until they can fly and don't suck at shooting. :gonk:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

unwantedplatypus posted:

I also love the fact that I can outflank the enemy by summoning a unit of social justice warriors behind enemy lines.

Look, I know zombies are stupid and worthless, but this is just insulting.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

President Ark posted:

there's a chrome extension that changes "S.J.W." to "skeleton" :thejoke:

(also apparently a SA wordfilter doing something similar)

Skeleton? I must not get :thejoke:. I've heard them referred to as zombies but never skeletons.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I never played the tabletop; wargaming isn't my thing. But I did read a few wikis to help fuel my speculation on units. I hope they keep the thing where you can fire into your own units as Skaven, while we're on the friendly fire topic.

Since you can already do it as everyone else, I'd say that's guaranteed.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I meant intentionally, and not with artillery. Skaven have a rule where they can shoot through their weakest units as if they weren't there.

I know they do. And you can do it with dwarfs now. Put a row of thunderers behind a row of warriors and when the warriors get attacked, order your thunderers to fire at the attacker. They will, and they'll hit a lot more warriors than enemies, but they will still fire.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
Executing captives gives you a chance (and it's high, about 20%) to get Unjust, which is -1 global public order, and Untrustworthy, which is -5% income in local province (eventually evolves into Dishonest and then Deceiver, -10% and -15% respectively).

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Ilustforponydeath posted:

E: Oh, you were talking about traits not rep. Nope, mannfred von carstein is still gandhi as far as his subjects are concerned over a hundred turns in. About forty battles or so and always murdering or dominating captives.

Might just be an empire/dwarfs thing. Don't think I've ever seen Manny with harsh/unjust either, though I have had vampire lords pick up untrustworthy out on campaign. Guess the bad guys are supposed to kill their enemies but the good guys are supposed to parole ork savages and demon-worshiping vikings because "it's the right thing to do." drat bleeding heart liberals.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Sjonnar posted:

Don't think I've ever seen Manny with harsh/unjust either,

He says, right before Manny picks up harsh after capturing a city.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

KillerQueen posted:

I'm personally hoping for a Strigoi ghoul-king that's just a horrifying melee monster. Like a grimgor that regens.

Close. I'm guessing it'll be Konrad.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

wiegieman posted:

VC legendary lord will be the Red Duke in Mousillon, so you can start out conquering Bretonnia.

That would be pretty cool, though he'd be the first lord to start out in a minor region, not a major one. That might be a tough start.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Well, Blood Dragon, so he'd be a mounted Grimgor if they do it right. Just charge down an entire infantry unit all on his own.

I meant strategically. Mousillon is the minor town in the Lyonesse province, which is only a two-region province, and has no big money building, if I remember correctly. Unlike KAK, Black Crag, Sylvania, or Reikland.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

There is a mod that changes trait triggers to 'make sense', and disabled purely negative traits like Harsh.
(I don't know what the new triggers are so i can't say if they make sense)

If you're referring to Prometheus' mod, it doesn't disable Harsh. I still had Manny pick up harsh after a city fight. What it does do is drastically reduce the chances of getting those poo poo traits, including Untrustworthy, after executing captives. It also disables certain traits on your LL, like Fearful, and stops you from getting traits that don't make any sense, like Likes Dwarves on Grimgor.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Schizotek posted:

TLDR: Zombies are actually good?

No. But they're cheap, and you can have a lot of them. As Uncle Joe says, sometimes quantity is a quality of its own. :ussr:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Gonkish posted:

For your gratuitous violence needs, Minotaurs charging things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

:five:

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

stopgap1 posted:

I wonder if they need to make it do morale damage or something, because at this point it's pointless.

What they need to do is turn it back into a magic missile, like it is on the drat tabletop. Or if they absolutely have to model the individual shards to distinguish it from the other magic missile spells, turn it into a breath-type attack like 'eadbutt and have it spawn X shards that then fly forward to fill the cone, like a magic shotgun. That way, even if a shard misses one target, it could conceivably hit the guy behind him.

And buff final transmutation back to vanilla strength. Jesus CA, metal is already the worst lore. What about it made you look and go "yeah, this needs nerfs"?

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

FutonForensic posted:

I won my recent campaign by having an Empire Captain assassinate Archaon in the middle of his doomstack.

I want you to visualize that.

I want you to visualize an old, bearded man marching into a camp of ten thousand Chaos warriors, walking straight up to the Antichrist, and stabbing him in the dick.

See, when you say it that way, it sounds metal as hell. In reality, it's a miserable, anticlimactic note to end the game on.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Doctor Schnabel posted:

does the +corruption effect for adjacent provinces from balefire brassieresbraziers stack if i have a bunch of them in, like, eastern sylvania?

Yes.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like the healing hard cap is 60% of a unit's total HP. It's going to be a pretty drastic change.

Is that per spell/effect or per fight? Because if it's per fight, that sucks rear end.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
PSA: If the healing hardcap bothers you as much as it does me, there's already a mod on the workshop that raises the healcap to 500%. Not quite as good as uncapping it completely, but I'm sure that will come in time.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Deified Data posted:

I like how the intro text sets Vlad up as the new head honcho of the VC with Mannfred retiring to seek out lost lore, even if it's Mannfred still on the diplo screen. You can just pretend he's your ambassador. A really, really bad ambassador.

He's looking for even more powerful spooky magic with which to Starscream even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Gejnor posted:

I can agree with this sentiment and i DID get the mod i mentioned after the very first battle, the VERY FIRST battle as VC my Blood Knights (i went Vlad the Mad Dad of course) and Vargheists could not be healed by Invocation of Nehek because they'd reached their Cap.

Its just a dumb change and i will never see it as "fine".

Dunno if you think im C&P someones rant on TWcenter or something but this is how i feel about it, and again when the cap comes up immediately in what is supposed to be a easy battle at turn 1, i think you have a problem.

You sound mad. Are you mad?

Yes, it is a bad, hamfisted change. No, raging about it on SA will not fix it. Mod it out, smoke a bowl, and chill out man.

• Locked thread