Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691253752

Wake's Realism Overhaul or whatnot is a good mod I've been playing a lot of recently. In battle monsters and seige weapons are much stronger and will destroy units they probably should. Most units are tweaked less with balance in mind than flavour but all armies have decent advantages at the moment. Magic is also much stronger and unit sizes are drastically changed so you need to mix big blocks of tier 1 troops with small units of elite troops for most factions.

Not perfect and some of the magic schools like death and heavens seem totally not working atm, but a really fun change to the base game and holy poo poo is it fun with the blood mod to watch chaos spawn rear charge some swordsmen.

What's the reinforcement rate like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I like wind of death more than Bjuna since the nerf, so I don't see much reason to go down lore of death with Mannfred. You get the good spell (spirit leech) right off the bat. Lore of vampires, on the other hand, has several skills that are useful.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ZearothK posted:

Leaked information suggests that the second game will be adding the New World, so High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen will be headliners. Tomb Kings are supposed to be DLC 8, Skaven as DLC 10, Chaos Dwarfs as DLC 13 and Ogre Kingdoms as DLC 15. For reference Beastmen are DLC 3 and Wood Elves are DLC 5. CA staff has responded to this by saying these are old plans, but so far it has been 100% accurate down to the Beastmen sub-factions.

I hope "second game" is more Fall of the Samurai, and less Atilla.

I'm cool with $20/$40 DLC packs if what they add is significant. I'm less cool with having "WARHAMMER OLD WORLD. WARHAMMER NEW WORLD. WARHAMMER UNDERWORLD."

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Sinteres posted:

I feel like making the second expansion all about chaos is probably the most likely thing to have changed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold on to skaven and tomb kings. Even with the post-expansion dlc, a line-up of daemons, chaos dwarfs and ogre kingdoms seems like a pretty big drop-off from the other two games. Skaven seem to be really loving popular, so dropping them in as a normal dlc seems like a wasted opportunity.

Wouldn't Skaven also require some kind of reworking of the game map?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

IanTheM posted:

Oh, wow, they're really going for a ton of DLCs for this one. Makes the second game sound a bit thin, unless they find ways of making it interact heavily with the current regions.

I suspect the DLCs from Tomb Kings onwards are for the second and third expansion, it is all going to be combined into one huge map.

This was found amongst the leaked information.

Yor Fizzlebeef
Nov 7, 2010

Can you feel it?
Finally things are looking brighter for me! Managed to kill Archeon and I think I am finally getting things under imperial control. But holy poo poo does this game capture the feeling of being absolutely hosed! Even managed to stab Manfred in the back by destroying his stack after he helped me kill of some chaos hordes in Middenheim. Bless him!

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The Lone Badger posted:

Manfred doesn't need overcast protection when casting Nehek, he can just take the damage and heal it.
Manny should stay in melee where possible, especially if he has his sword that gives him +winds when fighting.

You dont always cast it on yourself though, or at least you dont if you have overcast protection

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Lore of Vampires is the way to go with Mannfred these days, the buffed Nehek and Wind of Death alone are better than anything Death has to offer and you get all the spellcasting skills as a bonus. All you really need from death is Spirit Leech and that doesn't even cost points.

Otherwise you can just get his mounts and then pretty much do whatever. I like grabbing the first tier of combat skills but Mannfred gets nerfed skills (+15s or +9s instead of +30s or +18s) compared to real combat Lords so it's not really that important.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

IanTheM posted:

Wouldn't Skaven also require some kind of reworking of the game map?

Depends on how :effort: they want to be about it, but I'll definitely feel more confident about their rollout if they're part of an expansion rather than a dlc. I don't think I'm alone in feeling like chaos warriors are pretty underwhelming, especially now that beastmen will be a horde faction too, so I'm glad they have some intention of focusing more heavily on chaos later on. That said, the skaven are at the top of my list of remaining races I hope they find a way to do justice to, so I really hope they don't blow it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Depends on how :effort: they want to be about it, but I'll definitely feel more confident about their rollout if they're part of an expansion rather than a dlc. I don't think I'm alone in feeling like chaos warriors are pretty underwhelming, especially now that beastmen will be a horde faction too, so I'm glad they have some intention of focusing more heavily on chaos later on. That said, the skaven are at the top of my list of remaining races I hope they find a way to do justice to, so I really hope they don't blow it.

Its possible that they plan on refining these factions later on, and right now are focusing on populating the world.

Though, at the end of the day, we just have to see.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Arcturas posted:

How should I be building Manfred von Carstein? I went through the spells to get Fate of Bjuna, because that seems awesome. I mostly have him running around the back line using spirit leech and bjuna on their big dudes. I've also unlocked the +1 vampire skill, but now that I have both of those two things done, I"m not sure if I should be going for choppy-chop or leadership abilities. (I tagged Nehek because it looked awfully good, too.)

If you're on normal difficulty a Mannfred with a maxed out personal combat tree and his items is pretty much invincible. As in I usually send him and his three vampire girlfriends to take the walls on sieges and never send back up.

Incidentally I've discovered the joy of zombie hordes this campaign through desperate circumstances. I'd maxed out the zombie relevant techs because I was going for the max ranked militia cheev. Which in retrospect would probably have been easier with another race, but whatever. But without me noticing the Orks had conquered the entirety of the badlands up past the dwarf capital, and incidently hated me because I'd been buddy buddy with the dwarves. Long story short, while my real armies were down in the badlands putting an end to the obnoxious doomstacks Grimgor kept spamming homelands with, Archeon and his buddy Kholek and their ridiculously powerful late game armies finish chewing a hole through Kislev and show up at my Northmost province, Ostermark. Which I only have Essen of (I wanted a buffer state between my capital, but didn't wanna weaken the humans too much while I expanded west). Granted it has a maxed garrison and a token force of 4 graveguard and a couple ghouls. But also theres 5 giants in that poo poo sandwhich parked outside.

So when I first see them I raise a couple armies, and start building zombies because I'm running at nearly max capacity due to the ethnic cleansing down south and can't afford much else. I manage to raise enough to make the AI decide to go for a long siege with the army on Essen, and built the other two to max capacity in zombies and attacked. So forces are like this:
Archeons Unlubed Dildozer-
Kholek
Archeon
6 Chosen
12 Warriors
6 Knights
3 Horsemen
5 Giants
2 Trolls
4 Artillery

Vs:
2 Vamps
1 Necro
41 ZOMBIES
4 Skellys
4 Ghouls
3 Blackknights
6 Graveguard
2 Bats
1 Vargheist
1 Crypt Horror

So strategy. Get all of the NOTZOMBIES consolidated on a hill. Launch all Zombies from their various locations (is reinforcement location random?) of the map at Enemy while kinda having them migrate nearer to main army. Use my Black Knights and bats to opportunistically murder poo poo starting with the artillery. Return to lords to heal as necessary. Send in the ghouls and lords to assassinate Archeon.
Unsurprisingly the zombie horde killed pretty much no one themselves, but by the time the last of them crumble literally the entire enemy army is at max exhaustion from killing so many surprising tanky mooks and their lords are dead. Ultimately by the time I win I've only caused a couple hundred casualties (including all of their dumb monsters) to a few thousand of my own. And the stupid screen says "Pyrrhic victory". But given that I wiped the armies soon after, I think maybe the game was overreacting.
The custom battle screen says their army cost about 45k and my sacrificial zombies about 3k. Thats about as good a trade as you can can get imo.

TLDR: Zombies are actually good?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWw4Fj4_wXE

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Schizotek posted:

TLDR: Zombies are actually good?

No. But they're cheap, and you can have a lot of them. As Uncle Joe says, sometimes quantity is a quality of its own. :ussr:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

More like near unlimited healing is powerful - the zombies just buy time.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I want to cry when I think of how long it will be before we get Lizardmen :negative:

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Sjonnar posted:

No. But they're cheap, and you can have a lot of them. As Uncle Joe says, sometimes quantity is a quality of its own. :ussr:

Zombies are actually really good cannon fodder. They don't break. They're in loose formation. And there's a ton of them per unit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
When should I first start to acquire a second lord/army as Empire?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Megasabin posted:

When should I first start to acquire a second lord/army as Empire?

as soon as you have money to spare.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Yeah, its not like I outnumbered them unit wise by that much. It was about 1.5 to one, and when the zombies crumbled they still had the vast majority of their lategame elite units. It just made them so worn out they broke when confronted with a small but capable core of mediocre units.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There's a defense or armor penalty for exhaustion I think, right?

Wonder how severe that is. It'd explain their usefulness.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

There's a defense or armor penalty for exhaustion I think, right?

Wonder how severe that is. It'd explain their usefulness.

Off the top of my head it's 65% armor and maybe 80% defense and attack at max exhaustion? Movement speed and charge also goes down.

It's pretty huge, really.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Also a substantial Leadership penalty.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Roobanguy posted:

as soon as you have money to spare.

It seems like I have a lot of money at the start. So are you guys having a full second army stack before you even kill the secessionists?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Megasabin posted:

It seems like I have a lot of money at the start. So are you guys having a full second army stack before you even kill the secessionists?

That's too early, start your second stack when you're ready to go to war with your neighbors. Your starting money is quite a lot but it will evaporate when you start building things.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I start building a second stack on the third turn to defend Grunberg against Orcs in case they show up, while Franz is off doing the quest battle or finishing off the secessionists.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I like to delay building a second army for a while so I can spend the income on improving settlements. That does slow down expansion of course since your first army has to help defend.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I like to expand quickly and build up all my settlements and get lots of armies and also win all my battles.

It's a p. good strat.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Megasabin posted:

If you feel like a bit of micro and being a bit gamey get a t1 lord, make him castellan engineer, build your buildings then switch him to treasurer before ending turn. I'm pretty sure the office effects happen immediately, so you can just switch him back and forth whenever you want and enjoy the bonuses of both.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sjonnar posted:

Lenin was the one who said that :spergin:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I like the new patch's feature of respawning the savage orc tribes as hordes but I really wish it would give them a bit of a break, and also not weight it so much to spawn them near the player's territory. I spent most of my Vampire Counts campaign after taking Altdorf killing a new savage orc horde every 4 turns or so, reliably spawning the middle of Reikland; I've started a Dwarf campaign now and the same thing has started happening around turn 40. Skulltakerz popping up in the passes around the Silver Road. Ease off a bit, game, eh.

Mans posted:

Lenin was the one who said that :spergin:

If you're going to be obnoxiously pedantic then at least get it right - neither of them said it, it's just a misattribution that dates from the 1970s at the earliest

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

John Charity Spring posted:

If you're going to be obnoxiously pedantic then at least get it right - neither of them said it, it's just a misattribution that dates from the 1970s at the earliest

quote:

"In physics ... every change is a passing of quantity into quality, as a result of a quantitative change of some form of movement either inherent in a body or imparted to it. For example, the temperature of water has at first no effect on its liquid state; but as the temperature of liquid water rises or falls, a moment arrives when this state of cohesion changes and the water is converted in one case into steam and in the other into ice.... A definite minimum current is required to make a platinum wire glow; every metal has its melting temperature; every liquid has a definite freezing point and boiling point at a given pressure, as far as we are able with the means at our disposal to attain the required temperatures; finally, every gas has its critical point at which, by proper pressure and cooling, it can be converted into a liquid state.... What are known as the constants of physics (the point at which one state passes into another – J. St.) are in most cases nothing but designations for the nodal points at which a quantitative (change) increase or decrease of movement causes a qualitative change in the state of the given body, and at which, consequently, quantity is transformed into quality."

edit: poo poo that was Engels

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

I like to expand quickly and build up all my settlements and get lots of armies and also win all my battles.

It's a p. good strat.

drat, wish I'd thought of that

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

ZearothK posted:

Leaked information suggests that the second game will be adding the New World, so High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen will be headliners. Tomb Kings are supposed to be DLC 8, Skaven as DLC 10, Chaos Dwarfs as DLC 13 and Ogre Kingdoms as DLC 15. For reference Beastmen are DLC 3 and Wood Elves are DLC 5. CA staff has responded to this by saying these are old plans, but so far it has been 100% accurate down to the Beastmen sub-factions.

I'm so happy they actually are planning to do Chaos Dwarfs. They didn't have to since they don't have an army book.

Evil slaver Dwarfs with monsters, magic, even crazier artillery and war machines than the regular dwarfs and top tier hats and facial hair :allears:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 17, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kainser posted:

I'm so happy they actually are planning to do Chaos Dwarfs. They didn't have to since they don't have an army book.

Evil slaver Dwarfs with monsters, magic, even crazier artillery and war machines than the regular dwarfs and top tier hats and facial hair :allears:

I hope they find a way to include this guy somehow:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kainser posted:

If the Hellcannon crews are anything to go by, the hats aren't in :smith:. The beards are though!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Perestroika posted:

I hope they find a way to include this guy somehow:

I hope Bull Centaurs aren't too outdated, I want those weird dudes in the game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Tardcore posted:

I'm not sure what CA is going for yet, but Forgeworld's update had these guys:

Wafflecopper posted:

If the Hellcannon crews are anything to go by, the hats aren't in :smith:. The beards are though!

Pretty sure there's a few silly hats in the Hellcannon crews, they're just rare. Personally I'm hoping CA takes the opportunity to find a midway between the cartoonish 4th edition models and the fun-sized Chaos Warriors of the Forgeworld models.

E:

Kainser posted:

Chaos Dwarfs did have a book back in the 90s, and yeah they're a minor faction with enough units to fill out a full roster so there's no reason they shouldn't make it in.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 17, 2016

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tardcore posted:

i want to see the lore explanation for this

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Mans posted:

Chaos.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Mans posted:

Chaos Dwarfs worship their own hipster Chaos God called Hashut. He's associated with bulls, so when chaos dwarfs receive "blessings" they're typically bull-themed. Bull-centaurs are the most blessed, and they are the guards of the one temple of Hashut in the one city the Chaos Dwarfs actually own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
New lore of magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwEmuliTQE