Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zephro posted:

Confederating them is fine, though, since you'll do a much better job with their provinces than the AI will.

My favourite opening move as Vampire Counts is to wait until Zhufbar gets into a war and gets their stack annihilated, then offer to join their war in exchange for them becoming my vassal.

Dwarf bro for lyfe! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

drat Dirty Ape posted:

The main reasons I save scum in this game are misclicks and/or misunderstanding the rules, which happens often enough I generally save at the beginning of every turn (I dislike that auto-save happens on the end of a turn).

:same:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

beejay posted:

poo poo. That sounds like it won't get fixed very soon then. RIP (literally)

It's been reported at least 3 times on the official forums and the status of the reports are "In Progress".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Decus posted:

edit: wait, what, if I'm reading this right apparently the black coach can only collide with 3 targets max? It's the same value as any other chariot though the steamtank has a 4 there. Not sure what that number actually, actually means since it can't mean 3 mens I don't think. Unless it's 3 on the lowest unit size? Though every other value that means number of men traditionally is based off of ultra sizes.

It means they can punch through 3 rows of infantry. If a unit has 4 rows it will stop when it hits the 4th row, get surrounded, and die.

Edit: Coincidentally, this is also why I make sure my units have at least 4 rows. It makes them invincible to chariots.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 14, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wilekat posted:

RNG traits are the stupidest loving thing.

-1 global Public Order for the whole game
-3 leadership and +5% agent success chance

On Grimgor. Seriously?

I see you got the Official Mannfred von Carstein random trait set.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Can anyone tell me how the +15% income (Local Province) works for heroes? I'm doing my VC play and I've gone across the south all the way to Wissendland, and now its time to take Altdorf then scoot back across the map to destroy the empire. I'm having cash flow problems so I was hoping I could drop a Banshee with the +15% Income in Eastern Sylvania and get a nice income boost but the Banshee has no effect on the regions income.

Is there some sort of trick to get this to work?

Are you clicking the deploy hero button?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Yep, hero deployed. I moved the Banshee right next to the capital and the income adjusted to 105% at the start of the next turn for that region. Should it not be 115% for the region?

What it's probably doing is increasing the settlement by 15%, but the province by only 5%.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 14, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hmmm, to go from 4534 to 4800 does not seem worth 3 levels on a banshee that could be out murdering walls and spreading vampire love. Do'h.

Well, the bonuses stack to become absurd, but that's more of a late game thing.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DiHK posted:

Yeah, as VC I like those Red guys North of Gunbad. I never got bothered by Zuffbar though, they wardec'd me but got eaten by greenies shortly thereafter. I'm blaming this on that Dwarf cheat too. I had to go out and kill Grimgor as cheaty dwarfs so I think the boosted economy makes him reluctant to attack. My normal Dwarf campaign had the usual Grimgor stack around turn 10.

As VC I vassalized Zhufbar before turn 5 (wait until they get wardec'ed by the Bloody Spears and have their starting stacks wiped, then offer to join their war in exchange for vassalization) and they have been bros ever since, even though I might have totally hosed their economy with vampiric corruption. :nyoron:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DiHK posted:

In this flavor of TW you have some kind of % chance of successful reinforcing armies. More ranks in lightning strike means better % chance.

EDIT: I only ever get the first rank.

More ranks in lightning strike don't increase the chance of reinforcement, they just increase the distance an army can get reinforcements from.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

President Ark posted:

if you really just want to talk about the game you might want to take a slightly less confrontational tone, friend

:siren: THIS IS THE TONE POLICE! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP! :siren:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

So as VC are you meant to take it slow and insidiously infect your neighbors with corruption before taking them over? I took over Stirland before corrupting it and combating the public order problems there was a huge 10+ turn ordeal.

Yeah, get corruption spreading tech, buildings, and abilities if you're planning on going wide instead of tall.

Edit: Also get a bunch of agents and stick them in the province you're planning on conquering for 5-10 turns beforehand. You want corruption at 50% before you conquer it.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 20, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Is there a particular VC hero that's best at spreading corruption?

They all spread it at the same rate, but they can pick up or spawn with a bonus trait and they all have a spread corruption ability you can put some skill points into.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deified Data posted:

When the corruption building for VC refers to adjacent provinces does it mean it has to be adjacent to the borders of the city with the building or adjacent to the province housing the building? Would a corruption building in Schwartzhafen touch the borders adjacent to Templehof, for example?

It means adjacent to the province. Corruption is province-wide.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mordja posted:

Mods like this are neat but they make me want to wait until people create more custom graphics for them. Like, in the Empire expansion mod, the Knights of Morr are just black-textured Reiksguard, completely lacking their spooky scary skull helms.

Are people able to import their own models into the game or is that restricted?

This Mannfred reskin is pretty decent.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Babby's first double post.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

Anyone have any tips for Uruks? You start in the middle of Mordor and I'm never sure if I should focus on Gorgoroth or rush Nurn for the ports. Is it worth it to siege down Minas Ithil in the early game? I keep getting hit by rangers whenever I try

Have you tried teching to Uruk-hai at Isengard before expanding?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dongattack posted:

Did they mess with the Vampire Count mechanics since last i played? I can't see any battle markers where i can raise good dudes.

You need to kill a LOT of dudes in a single battle to make them pop. They begin to show up at around 500-600 casualties for small unit sizes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kainser posted:

Man the clipping on those horns is something else.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Clipgor more like.

Tell me about it! I need all my 20 foot tall, one-eyed, four-horned, boulder-toting half-cow monsters to look exactly how they do in real life!

M-my immersion is RUINED! :qq:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

That happened my first time doing that battle to. Can I just say, love the idea, rarely do the quest battles Not because the battles are hard to get to, unlocking them usually requires a tonne of steps. Speaking of, has anyone finished all the bonus objectives for each chapter? I usually only hit one or two.

I can usually hit 3 or 4 on the later ones, but there's usually one that's like "Be at war with 35 factions" that makes me go :wtc:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Locking movement to only use a certain percentage of your movement bar would still be useful. I don't know how many times I've reloaded because it looked like I'd have 25% of my movement left to go into ambush stance but SURPRISE BITCH, IT'S ACTUALLY 24%!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Chaos Rooster does sound like a cool and fun unit I gotta say

Isn't the Lord of Change already in the game? :confused:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I picked up 2 extra codes for "my kid's friends". When I get home I'll PM them to the next two people who post in the thread that they want one and can get PMs.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Okay. PM inbound.

The Duggler posted:

Don't give it to me I just wanted to post

:wtc: Okay?

Pendent posted:

I'd love one

Okay. PM inbound.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

pppbigppp posted:

TWW steam sale for the next 40hr, 25% off

Would be cool if someone can send me a 20% off voucher. :)

Check the general Total War thread about a month ago. There were a bunch posted from the White Dwarf codes and I doubt that they were all taken.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

drat, that horse is swole.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

While we're talking mods, would it be possible to make a mod so that vampiric corruption gives a bonus to diplomacy instead of a malus to public order?

Vampire Counts get such lovely diplomatic penalties that it would be neat if corrupting other provinces made their owners like you more (as more of the nobility are converted into vampires), instead of giving a penalty that the AI doesn't even care about due to its rampant cheating. It would also allow vampires to conduct diplomacy with their neighbours instead of hoping that someone nearby spawns with "vampiric influence".

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gejnor posted:

It.. miiight be possible? it would be really hard to get right though, like very veeery hard to balance.

A much easier way would be to simply bump up the +10 Diplomacy bonus you get via tech to say... +30? Keep it in the realm of the WE techbonuses basically.

You can also add in that fun immunity towards attrition that Wood Elves get and give that to VC, instead of the weird +20% attrition resistance.

I'll look into it some more then, thanks! It's for single player so who cares about balance, but since corruption maxes out at around 90% in provinces outside of Sylvannia and most factions have a -30 to -40 malus for vampires, you could set it to 1 point of diplomacy bonus for every 2 points of corruption and eventually wind up with a total bonus of +5 to +15 with your neighbours while everyone else hates your guts.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gonkish posted:

When does Grom go live for us normies who don't live near a GW store?

Jan 3rd, probably.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I think I made a mod so that you don't get bad traits anymore. Let me know if it works.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

After launch wood elves got buffed into the sky because a bunch of morons on steam/Total war forums were furious that they had paid 20 quid for a glass cannon faction that they couldn't use effectively. It was a panic response on the developers behalf imo. They already get enough poo poo about DLC on steam reviews and so forth. Wood Elves are broken, which is why by turn 150 they end up covering half the map.

The make them defensive mod is solid though and befitting their lore. Though some kind of wild hunt event with wood elves sallying forth out of the forests would have been good.

You should also get the mod that gives them an aversion to Chaos, because otherwise the Wood Elves and Chaos become best buds for lyfe.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 22, 2017

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lassitude posted:

That plus AI recruitment changes should make for a more enjoyable experience overall I think. Less chasing the AI on both the campaign and battle maps hopefully.

Also this:

quote:

Rule Change: In Campaign, If a faction loses a battle and the only surviving unit is their last general, the general is killed.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Onmi posted:

I don't know if it's a mod I've got or if the trait system is just dumb... but how does murdering chaos and executing captives of Chaos get my Arch-Lector the "Likes Chaos" trait? That sounds like... the opposite

Archonex posted:

After the battle he had a conversation with a chaos cultist that gave him sympathy for them. This gives him doubts as to the worthiness of his cause. Pathos is a bitch.

Alternatively, the trait system is just bunk. Get that mod that fixes it and makes traits appear due to logical interactions in combat and on the strategy map instead of random chance.

Gejnor posted:

You made a lot of edits!! I was just going to add in that ive been looking for the mod that does just that with the traits and i cannot seem to find it anymore :(

I made this mod in an attempt to semi-fix the trait system, but I people keep saying that it's not working for them. I'm pretty new at modding, but Gejnor, you know what you're doing, so if you want to take a look at it feel free. I'm pretty sure that the file I'm modding should be the right one.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

pnutz posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=692256583

I've had this mod for a while for skill points (have fun with manfred and his 50+ skills), was looking for another one that regularly gives me 2 points per level or something and yet all of them seem to have some weird limitation like only giving you more points after a certain level or not giving it to heroes and non-legendary lords. is there some actual mechanic preventing them doing this eg an artificial cap on points, or is everyone having a mass stupid attack and feeling they need to 'balance' their 1-line mods?

There is no cap on points, but it probably bothers some :spergin: people when they have their entire skill tree full and still have points left over.

It's pretty easy to make a mod that gives 2 points per level.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Benagain posted:

Mod recommendations for the original anyone? Bought the game and loving it, I remember reading about that no offensive agents bit and figured that would be a good start.

Look up this dude on Steam:

Gejnor posted:

You monster

And install everything he makes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Reminder that Morathi is a debauched rapist, murder, cannibal, torturer, and worse.

You forgot milf. :colbert:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I prefer six men wide, nine men deep.

but enough about your sex life. :downsrim:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Zore posted:

The Skaven accidentally saving the world from Nagash is probably my favorite story in-setting. :allears:

Not mine. :skeltal::yohoho::dunkedon: :zpatriot:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Deakul posted:

Dang, if it's Norsca then who's the Old Friend DLC?!

:pray: Please be Krell. Please be Krell. Please be Krell. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Panfilo posted:

What about the Dwarves? They have major grudges against the Skaven, and good relations with the Empire; you'd think they would be talking about them more.

The humans just smile and nod whenever a dwarf goes off about Thaggoraki.

• Locked thread