Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Sasgrillo posted:

Is there any particular reason why Warrior Priests get marked trash and placed into a dumpster when auto resolving?

Auto-resolved against some zombie spam Vampire army where the bar was nearly all yellow and ended up with my WP losing 3/4 of his HP while no other unit took damage.

They are actually pretty squishy, they were in the table top too.

An arch lector you could put in like 2+ Armour and had 3 wounds and was harder to hit in combat etc. I think the best a warrior priest could get armour save wise was 4+ and they had two wounds.

So they've sort of stuck with the lore, it's just really frustrating to have high level priests die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Korgan posted:

All out? We've still got the "Old Friend" teaser to be released. And then game 2 that combines with game 1 to make some sort of megagame is happening. Plus the DLC for game 2. And eventually game 3.

To be fair I can see some sort of Total War: Warhammer - Emperor Edition where it is just the first game plus all the DLC bundled together, but not any time soon.

It will eventually go with Total War: Warhammer 2 - Phoneix King Edition and Total War: Warhammer 3 - Flogged Dead Horse Edition.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

This needs to be in the OP

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

As an aside, I dunno WTF happened by now my load times are 10 minutes long, it's killing me.

Is it stored on a HDD or an SSD?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

HDD, point was it didn't used to take 10 minutes to load everything.

Yeah I'm just thinking though that when the game was first released I had it on my HDD and it took loving ages to load and I got so frustrated I stored it on my SSD. I'm wondering whether they fixed that at some point (and I didn't notice because I had moved it) and have broken it again.

If you have had it on your HDD from launch day without these problems then it must be something new they did recently/a problem with your stuff.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

Speaking of battles, I'm plain awful at going on the offensive. Defensive is very simple. Organize line, bring artillery to pound the enemy. Front line Handgunners, Then Flagelents/Greatswords/Melee Screen behind them, then Crossbowmen behind them By the time the enemy reaches they're already wavering and hammered by the hits, magic supports and Cavalry to shock.

But I can never get the hang of actually charging in. Are there any tips for specifically being on the offensive?

As the Empire even when you're force to go on the offensive you can do so defensively. You walk your army up (not run) while your artillery bombards the crap out of them.

I tend to have a main line engage their main line, with reserve units for flanking. Really it's just more hammer and anvil tactics but instead of them placing themselves on your anvil you bring the anvil and the hammer to them.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

VanSandman posted:

To be fair it could also be Tomb Kings.

Yeah, they are well known for their red eye'd rats :rolleyes:

That said, if they showed a Skaven teaser and then said "lol jk it's tomb kings" that would be a great troll

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Double Bill posted:

I'll put it this way: I've bought and played three previous Total War games but never got more than ~20 hours into them before getting bored. This one I've played for 175 hours and still feel like playing more.

After reading this I decided to check out my play time and holy poo poo it's 551 hours (and I'm still bad). I didn't think I had played it that much.

I played Civ V for 422 hours which I thought was a lot, until I found Paradox games (1,103 of EUIV, 771 of Stellaris, 432 CKII). I had always liked the Total War games before but the last one I bought was Rome II (after it was fixed a bunch) but that was 343 so maybe I just like strategy games.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Flame Cannons, will they ever be relevant? :(

When Dark Elves have Hydras

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Every dwarf faction in the game should instantly declare war on you for that flavor text.

In the Lore this basically happened.

Nukn kept boasting it was far better than the dwarfen designs off which a lot of their contraptions are based, and Dwarf engineers got pissed off so they both fought each other using artillery and other contraptions on a gigantic field to determine who was best. Everyone involved lost.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Regarding Volkmar he's a loving beast, I would say he's the best Empire LL.

I would say the first thing to do with Volkmar, same as any LL in Empire, is get the first red, and then 3 ranks of honest steel as it buffs all your mooks that make up your front line.

Then I would say go down the blue path for Volkmar, get fervent (-3 to corruption) and whatever other blue (I usually do -3% attrition) to get his unique blue skill Heretic Hunter (-5 to corruption, +5 ranks to warrior priests recruited).

Then go down the top path to get all his prayers and the popemobile.

That should take to about level 15 and at this point he can take on half the enemy army on his own, provides massive buffs to everyone around him, and is pretty good on the campaign map.

Fun fact, in Middhiem you can build the shrine of Ukric and the Cathedral of Sigmar whatever it is, research the tech boosting warrior priest ranks, and park Volkmar there at get level 20+ warrior priest agents for recruitment.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Perestroika posted:

Welp, no Skaven after all. The rat was "just a rat". :haw:

Wow, you're really have a hard time with subtlety!

A couple of points to consider:

1) Listen to how he responds to that with an uncertain tone compared to the rest of his talking in a pretty confident tone.

2) Even though this is filmed like an interview, it's produced by Total War themselves, so they didn't just add that in by accident, neither did they add the rat into the end of the video by accident.

3) In the Warhammer Fantasy universe we know the Empire denies the existence of Skaven, even Witchhunters get bollocked if they admit Skaven exist

4) There are 3 races and a 4th unconfirmed race. He mentions that the Lizardmen and the High Elves want to keep the Vortex stable and keep chaos at bay, but the "other races" may want to use it to their own ends. This means the other race has to be a "evil" race (not just because the good ones are already there).

I reckon skaven are definitely in the game, this is an attempt to keep people in suspense.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

FutonForensic posted:

There is definitely someone who has a subtlety problem, yes

This is what I get for not learning to speak emoji.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Yeah, "They could win the whole drat thing if only they X" is pretty much a prerequisite for a gamesworkshop race. The idea is that each player needs to be able to feel their faction is on the verge of winning, and therefore the battles they fight matter.

The Skaven would win if only they stopped fighting each other.

The Orcs would win if only they stopped fighting each other.

The Empire would win if Karl Franz manages to unite the whole empire and drive back the Chaos hoardes, slaying Archeon.

The Vampires will win if Manfred von Carstein's evil plots come to fruition and he manages to control the Empire.

The Dwarfs will win if Thogrim manages to lead them on a reclamation of the lost dwarven holds.

and so on.

I mean there's pretty much a "goal" for every race in 40K and WFB which is just out of reach but plausible, and if it's achieved they pretty much win.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Night10194 posted:

Archaon doesn't really have enough of a character to really have motivations.

Hes got more of a character than Abbaddon to be fair.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Vlex posted:

[posts PhD thesis on why Skaven will be in]

I think you'll find that is Doctor Posts-PhD-Thesis-On-Why-Skaven-Will-Be-In thank you very much.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm just confused as to how they'll contort the map to have the Southlands and Ulthuan without the Old World. Unless they include the "space" for the original map in the vortex campaign and just fog it out until the combined GC is added.

From what I recall they have built a map that has all three regions they just aren't rendered or whatever to actually appear.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Isn't he the Mad Count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Onmi posted:

Does anyone ever take Speed of Horse in the Empire red tree? The skill only boosts Pistoliers and Outriders and... that would require using Pistoliers and Outriders. Am I just missing something that makes these units good to pick up the skill or is it really just Pistolkorps and Honest Steel?

No, I never really use either unit. Outriders I find are marginally more useful than pistoliers, but you could just take knights of some sort instead and artillery.

In this way they have stuck very true to the source material and made what should be super cool units boring and useless.

• Locked thread