Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Coolguye posted:

hell of an idea, thank you

One thing, be very careful around the 50% mark, as you can move 51% really easily where the yellow is barely visible, which will lock you into ambush or reg movement.

On a side note, I shelved the watchtower mod for now because the occupation stuff is extremely tedious to work with and there are problems I ran into with attacking other faction's cities. I'll probably come back to it in a bit but its really draining to work on since it's a bit of a clusterfuck. Most of it seems hardcoded (written as functions somewhere I don't have access to is my guess) so my options feel extremely limited.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

archangelwar posted:

Can this be done with both lords in the field? All I see is an option to replace a lord with an unhired one.

No, they have to be unassigned. If they get wounded or something once they return they can get swapped back in to any army immediately.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I recommend taking all of the Silver Road province then stashing your army in the Pillars of Grungni, the view range you have means you can reach either remaining settlement before the Orcs move in, and you can get a real ambush or underway interception set up that gives you a good chance of outright killing Grimgors entire stack. Being that far off your borders also seems to make the AI more likely to try to pick off a settlement.

Doing this usually let me kill a main Orc stack early, which gave me time to go north and take Gunbad without getting raided to hell. Having a defensive alliance with Barak Varr can be helpful here too, you'll have extra vision into the badlands to spot anything dangerous.

Also, if you can, clear all Orc holdings north of you if possible, hopefully Zhufbar and the red dwarfs have helped with that. Grimgor loves to spawn up there and raid from the north, which is really annoying when your working on clearing the badlands. I highly recommend not settling Zhufbar or the north mountains unless you are ready to leave armies there, that poo poo will get attacked by Chaos or anyone else who dislikes you repeatedly. The Silver road is pretty much immune to attacks from the north.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jun 13, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Throw him in a good army and fight a lot is generally the fastest, pulling him out for occasional agent stuff when you have time. Engineers give good army buffs though and if you're fighting regularly is the best continuous XP.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Doom divers have lower AP because hey are technically guided and generally will not miss their shots at all, where rock lobbers have a general inaccuracy to them that isn't horrible but certainly noticeable.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Murgos posted:

1. Why was Franz unable to initiate the attack? How much movement do you need to have left to initiate an attack if your turn could end in the red circle but not right up next to the enemy?
2. Why did the chaos army go invisible the second turn? Was it because it was still in ambush and this time I didn't detect it?
3. Why was it an intercept and not me being ambushed if the chaos stack went back into an undetected ambush state?
4. What in game terms does an "Interception attack" mean?
5. Am I correct in assuming that if you kill the Lord commanding a stack then that stack can't move until the Lord is replaced?

1. You need to have the movement to completely reach them, just like a siege. The zone of control thing is more defensive, and kinda pointless since it's too small in most cases to do its job.

2. Probably some oddity with the lord being replaced and resetting the ambush thing while it ran its turn.

3. Ambushing is a chance thing, not guaranteed. There are several lord skills for increasing/decreasing the probability.

4. Interception attack is the same thing as a regular battle AFAIK, although underway interceptions mean one of the armies cannot retreat. It might mean the same here, idk for sure since its a weird circumstance.

5. You are probably correct, not sure. They may be able to reinitialize their stance choice, which is why they disappeared. I don't know for sure though, I rarely assassinate lords in my games, especially under those specific circumstances.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The first DLC will be Bretonnian and that's probably it. This isn't Attila where you change the weapon a unit and call it a day, most races will require new animations, models, and changes to the world map. The new empire factions like Kislev as a playable are the only ones they might sneak in, and we've heard nothing about that so far.

That being said, I hope they get patch 1 and the first DLC, whatever it is, out pretty soon.

Beast men and wood elves may make an appearance, but probably not playable would be my guess.

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong here actually, Bretonnia may likely be the first free race alongside Beastmen as that first faction DLC pack, which is pack 3 from that list. I wonder what number 2 is, probably something smaller like a LL pack.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 14, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah but really how likely is it they release 3 of the playable factions at once. This game has a projected lifespan of like 5 years with the 2 expansions. We're getting 1 major faction at a time, maybe 2 if they tack on a free DLC like Bretonnia or Kislev along the way.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Jack2142 posted:

I thought it could be something like how in RTW:II they released the Greek City States as a DLC since Athens/Sparta/Epirus weren't that important in the Grand Campaign and I don't think any of those nations would need as much work as say Beastmen or Skaven since they are mostly human. Something like a "Minor Human Nation" DLC or something would suffice.

I'm not sure we can look at the other games DLC models too closely with Warhammer just because the dynamics are pretty different. Minor factions like TBP or Kislev still deserve more originality then Athens/Sparta IMO. Kislev might have a similar roster but the whole faction really deserves to be built as a Chaos fighting machine for example.

They could do something really cool with Border Princes and make them empire but with the mercenary system from old games, which would be super easy to implement since raise dead is quite literally that system with some purple highlights for VC (it's even called merc in the game files). Giving them access to some dwarf/Orc/etc units as they move around the map would make them super interesting with very little work.

My point is though there aren't a whole lot of "regional" DLC packs that work in Warhammer that don't up end being major expansions. Single factions sure, but big multi-faction packs are really unlikely IMO outside of the full expansions.

EDIT: Also, while I really like the idea of the map within the map thing for forest factions, it'll be the first big dynamic change besides magic that hasn't been tested in the previous titles. I hope it doesn't suck.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 14, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The way Kislev has distinct tags for some of their buildings and lords that no other faction besides the Border Princes does tells me they have at least some plans. None of the middle Empire factions are in any way different from the actual empire in the files, yet Kislev and the Border Princes are.

Also, on that DLC roadmap, one of the packs on the bottom is basically "new lord, new school or magic, couple unique/named units".

That fits Kislev pretty well. Tell will tell I guess.

I really, really hope the Border Princes, should they come out, aren't just realigned empire with some different lord buffs. That's such a waste since they could totally be unique with mercs like Carthage was.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Archonex posted:

I mentioned it way back in my post about mods, but a lot of minor factions have some interesting features that you aren't likely to notice playing the current playable factions.

I think it's Talabecland that has an entirely different/possibly optional tree for religious buildings. Middenland might have Ulric worship as well. The way they work screams that they are or were planned as playable factions at some point.

Though, granted, it could just be that CA was really intent on getting the details of the setting right. They went so far as to add stuff as minor as a twice-off location from the Gotrek and Felix books.

I think almost all of those are tied to the cities and not the faction though. Like empire can do all of those things when they take those cities AFAIK. Just like Karak Kadrin has the Slayer capital but it doesn't really mean anything outside of giving you a reason to go there.

With Kislev and the border princes they literally have Kis_ or Teb_ as prefixes for lords and stuff in the files. It's a noticeable difference in that it implies they are built to be separated out, which implies a very real possibility of additional content for them.

Honestly I'm tempted to try my hand at making the Border Princes with the mercenary stuff since everything mostly exists in the files already, but I feel like with the watchtower thing I'm gonna get caught up somewhere with hardcoded mechanics that are really hard to work around. I'll probably try it anyway though since maybe it'll pan out/be interesting.

I should probably just post these ideas to the TW:W suggestions forums too and see what happens. I expect the worst though.

Triskelli posted:

I've mentioned it before, but I wouldn't want to play as "Tilea" or "The Border Princes". If I'm adventuring in the southern realms I want to be a Border Prince or some mercenary captain. I want to play as a Dog of War.

Well that's certainly a thing, you could just base it off of the Chaos horde design. Only problem is those factions already exist and it'd be a really weird mix, but it's probably doable.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'd really hoped that this bullshit fluff chat about stuff that isn't and may never be in the game was over now that the game was released but it turns out warhammer grogs' capacity for arguing about whether bear cavalry was ever a "real thing" in the "canon" was never ending

See also: I have some real important opinions about "sigmarines" which has the following to do about this total war fantasy game:

I know you're probably not including me here, but to be clear I don't really give a single gently caress about the fluff, I just like brainstorming new poo poo to do in game that actually would feel interesting. Like I don't really care how far TBP went with the merc stuff in lore but it's a way to make them feel cool and good compared to being empire with a new lord rocking a different mustache and starting location.

Also sorry if Im loving up its and it's constantly, when phone posting I just let my phone decide which it feels like using.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jun 14, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Archonex posted:

Nope. In fact, when I took the city I was immediately confused as to why I had a building that didn't really do anything except reduce corruption. It even had a special message saying that the building was inappropriate to the area when I moused over it. They're basically independent to the faction similar to how religions and some cultural buildings in Shogun 2 work.

I'll take a look then, I didn't notice any specific faction markers but I also didn't look very hard.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah a "Southern Realms" unit list based on the mercenary stuff that's out there wouldn't be too hard, they've got unique units like Duelists and unique heroes like Paymasters, but otherwise they're just able to recruit units from multiple factions like Norse marauders, Bretonnian Knights, and Dwarf Warriors.

I may try to do something like this, but I'll just use the border princes or Tilea, probably Tilea, as my starting point. I would try the horde thing but we're talking implementing a new faction and making it work with the AI, which sounds about as fun as hitting myself in the dick with a hammer.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

Yeah an AI mercenary horde faction would be a pain to manage, especially trying to get it to manage money without tearing down cities. Ideally as a player you would be able to get lots of quests to do things but again that's not much help for the AI.

New subject, but for everyone asking what the "bonus objectives" are, it's in the same menu as the long/short term objectives. You have a number of objectives per chapter, such as ranking X Lords to level Y, building certain unique buildings, or researching a certain number of technologies.

The thing is I don't even mean in game problems, I mean the literal inclusion of a new faction into the game would be an absolute pain in the dick to implement. Changing existing assets is one thing, and adding units or buildings lets you leverage existing frameworks, but a new mechanic or faction is working at the highest/lowest level where you are dealing with a shitload of opaque information. Basically, a new faction would probably require me to make complex changes in like 60+ locations, instead of like the 12-15 I'd need to make Tilea work that way

Given that, I'm pretty interested in making Tilea or TBP work as a merc faction, reactivating the merc recruitment window, etc, it's just not going to be a new faction per-say. I probably also won't change it to a horde faction because I'm not sure I could get it to work fully.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 14, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

DiHK posted:

I'm sure I've been beaten but what about Empires trade zones. OTOH, this is a different engine and would likely have to be built from the ground up so yeah.

I was always told Empire was bad and I never got into it so it could very well be built off that idea, I'm not sure. I never saw that in the other games so I thought it didn't exist.

On a side note: holy poo poo I think I might have gotten something done here.

I know it doesn't look like much but basically what happened is I got the game to load a seperate settlement chain when you occupy a human settlement as the Dwarves. It even has upkeep and the replenishment penalty active. This means I can probably flesh this out into a working mod :toot:

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wilekat posted:

It appears there was originally an intent for every faction to have some sort of Lord titling/council system. The council references exist and there's titles for the VC, Greenskins, Dwarfs and Chaos alongside the Empire's set of Arch Lector, Castellan-Engineer etc.

Chaos: Aspirant, Marked One, Champion, Chosen, Exalted
Dwarf: Lode Warden, Reckoner, Ironmaster, Brewmaster, Clan Lord
Greenskins: Lout, Bully, Thug, Brute, Chieftain King
Vampire Counts: Grave Warden, Initiate, Acolyte, Awakened, Red Ascendant

Also don't use the enslave button with your faction leader (maybe at all?) if you don't want that global unrest penalty. This is Dumb and they'll hopefully change it, though people have already started to mod this crap out.

Probably dumped it to make the Empire thing feel more unique.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Triskelli posted:

Hey, just picked up your Level 4 settlement mod. I was hoping there'd still be one for Dwarfs only, but I can't complain.

Yeah I was going to keep the individuals running but in the long run there wasn't much of a point. All they do is give the AI more possibilities to recruit the units that are actually interesting to fight, and even then it relies on the AI actually building the right buildings in those provinces. The garrison advancements are pretty minor (like an extra unit or 2, or swapping 3 skeletons for 2 grave guard for the VC).

Also it would mean me having to manage the comments/bugs across 6 mods, and keep all of them concurrent with patch changes. :effort:

EDIT: Sweet double post

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Decus posted:

There's a table that helps the AI build buildings in pairs, specifically for recruitment. If you want to be sure any AI faction is recruiting certain types of units you can point most of their stuff to "please build this recruitment building" and then point that building to whatever else unlocks recruits from it. Haven't actually looked at your mod to see if you're using that table yet but it's worth checking out if you're not, provided one of your major goals is the AI recruiting more. On the money and public order end of things they don't really want for anything, in my opinion, except maybe on lower difficulties though I can't see anybody playing on an easier difficulty complaining too much in that case--it'd still be easier and such.

I don't touch it because they already know what buildings they need to chain together, the tier 4 settlements don't impact the actual building chains, they are mirrored across the entire tree. All the mod does is let them build up to tier 4 in minors, instead of tier 3 like before. They should be able to figure out the rest with what already exists AFAIK.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 15, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
So I'm in a fun position with my mods:

The watchtower mod is to the point that it works perfectly, except that adding additional layers to the buildings automatically adds building slots to the settlement tree, which can crash it on mouseover. Additionally, ports automatically build because they all use the same building superchain across all factions. So settlements automatically unlocking slots as they level up is keeping it from working 100%

Conversely, there is s small bug in my tier 4 settlements mod where occupied tier 3 buildings don't have the 3rd building slot open until you tier up to 4. So settlements not properly adding slots on takeover is keeping it from working 100%.

Basically I have the inverse of the same exact bug in each mod and I don't know where it even occurs in the files because the buildings_effects thing is just a text placeholder :suicide:

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 15, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

iGestalt posted:

I don't believe so. CA has never and probably will never be able to create actually smart AI (As shown by how it decides to build armies of all archer units).

It builds armies of all archer units because it has no other buildings in a settlement to recruit from. This happens more and more as the AI conquer and raze each other and don't have any decent settlements. You'll notice Chaos doesn't have poo poo tier armies when they show up around 100 because they get horde based recruitment and I think start with most of the buildings already there. Scharzhafen in my VH Dwarf game took over lots of ruins from the VC after they died and now have stacks with grave guard and multiple terrorgeists running around.

The big AI factions who have decent full provinces tend to have decent stacks.

All those AI fixing mods tend to do is rebalance their perferences so they buy more melee troops over ranged. This generally doesn't make them better armies though, since melee heavy armies are easier to fight for the most part (ranged units like to not cooperate with lots of fun tactics). It does make them less irritating to the majority of people though, which is why its preferred.

They "cheat" because their fuckin' AI and can't make great decisions on the fly. They need crutches to participate at all. Regular RTS or 4x AI get to use structured build orders and stuff to make them competitive; here they constantly get poo poo on by everyone around them and their production areas get wrecked accordingly.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 15, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Archonex posted:

Edit: The stuff about the AI is disappointing. Though, I will say that it's really smart on the strategic map. The public order cheat it gets is completely unnecessary. It'll border it's territories with public order buildings if it can to avoid infection from hostile factions.

Well infectious public order stuff only comes from Chaos and VC, which is kinda the point of their factions; to be dick neighbors and spread corruption. Take that away and they are just 2 more factions except without any ranged units.

Empire/dwarfs having high public order means nothing to neighboring factions except they don't have to deal with rebellions and therefore can do more to participate in the grand scheme of things.

I don't mean to white knight for the AI here but it's kinda annoying to me how much its derided given how this game actually works. The AI does pretty well given that it has to play by the same recruitment rules (in most cases) and building rules as the player, and has to fight multiple factions at once generally, all of which can gently caress up their production sets. The AI besides Chaos doesn't get to magic wand in full stacks, they build at their settlements exactly like you do. It's certainly not great but on higher difficulties its at least challenging for most of the early and mid game, which is saying a lot about how well it actually performs given the circumstances.

This is not specifically at you Arch but to everyone in the thread: If it's really easy and you aren't playing on VH, then maybe you need to step up in difficulty. Even then, once you learn the mechanics of the game the AI is not going to compete with you once you're over the early game hump because it simply can't given the number of variables involved. The only way to make it stay competitive is to let it cheat out some of the more complex systems, as they do. Legendary pushes past this into full player disadvantage mode, which is why I don't advocate it for most people.

I didn't make my tier 4 mod with the idea that it would help the AI, but after seeing them build more tier 4 buildings when they can, I think it's my favorite part of it now.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 15, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Archonex posted:

It actually starts cheating pretty heavily at hard.

I remember someone posted what it gets and it turns out that not only does it get a percentage bonus on literally everything from leadership, to cash, to public order (Meaning they don't have to spend money to counter/infect other provinces.) but it also penalizes the player for those same things. Given how good the AI is in some areas it really doesn't need some of those bonuses.

If they didn't though would it make the game better? You can play at lower difficulty for the exact same experience then, and all it means is you get to "well I won this poo poo, time to steamroll for 40 turns" at turn 60 instead of turn 90. The AI needs crutches to compete, especially as the player improves their position relative to them. It's pretty much as simple as that. If they don't get money and public order bonuses then they will have constant rebellions in their provinces from mishandled build orders (they have the same building slot limits you do and inherently worse ability to react to changing environmental factors because they're loving code), and they won't be able to field decent stacks without going bankrupt and cutting off their ability to keep fielding stacks or not face full attrition.

iGestalt posted:

Don't get me wrong - I understand that it is set up this way so that the game can function and be fun. It has to be this way. CA are terrible at making AI, though. Napoleon and the whole "Inability to use troop transport" stuff was hilarious. And Rome with Slingers. Would be nice if they could find a way to make it work without giving the AI all those little advantages to support them.

I don't disagree there is room for improvement, especially in those glaring areas like you mentioned with full out mis-steps or bad recruitment priorities. I'm just stating that for the type of stuff actually expected of the AI in this game they tend to do better then most would. Regular RTS and 4x games are not often this complex in both the tactical and strategic layer; generally its one or the other and they can focus on which works best. On that note most 4x AI is equally or more poo poo once you figure out how they operate.

Bitching that the AI cheats though is kinda annoying to me at this point though because there isn't much alternative. People can yell "code them better!" but it's not like you can wave a magic loving wand and they'll respond better to the hundreds of variables they have to account for in any given game.
We're lucky they don't cheat more and are just given full stacks of high tier units past the starting builds, because it's certainly possible.

Like the people who bitch about Grimgor showing up at turn 7 with a full stack: newsflash, he is coded to start with a full army and be a dick. Beat it, which is totally possible, and he'll be forced to heal for 4 turns then build a new stack of notably shittier stuff or take over one of the greenskin AI stacks that exist on the map, which is relative to who they confederated with by then. It's not magic.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 15, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Gitro posted:

Your most basic econ building should pay for itself 3-5 turns or so after you build it. the VCs are kind of weird though. Focus on those before trade goods unless you already have trade partners. Put one in every slot of every settlement unless you need it for something else - you probably want 1-2 growth buildings a province, you'll want garrisons anywhere/everywhere eventually but it's not a huge deal if a city or two gets sacked, especially early on and especially if it's just a level one settlement and your basic money building. Upgrading them pays off eventually but it's nowhere near as profitable as building a new one.

I like to make sure I build/upgrade at least one econ structure every turn or two I can early on. Just make sure you're spending down your money as much as possible, don't double up on recruitment buildings etc and don't start a second stack too early.

Orcs, dwarves and VCs start with a gold mine, upgrade that. Mount Gunbad has another gold mine and a unique 1500 gold building eventually. The port of marienburg makes good money as you upgrade it as the empire. You get lump sums of gold for completing the chapter objectives for taking/sacking/razing settlements.

Also make sure your army is doing something each turn. Don't encircle lovely garrisons unless you really have to - it's a bad idea and the tutorial is dumb for suggesting it. Siege places that you have to, most garrisons aren't a match for any full stack unless it's a racial capital. There's two timers when you siege a place, one for the total time and one that's a count until they take attrition. Usually that's 5-8 turns, it's a huge time commitment for a stack and you usually want to avoid it.

A note about VC, their settlement chain is actually the highest source of income for them outside of gold mines IIRC. You should focus on raising those up before anything else if given the choice.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Mazz (or anyone), no idea if this is way outside mod range, but the AI unit compositions often suck, because the rules they have to play by. What if it was a more blatant tactical cheat, they can recruit any unit from a tier you, the player, has access to. I.e., of you have a level 4 city, the AI can build any tier 4 unit, regardless of the buildings it has.

I know other non tw games have tried this, and while cheating, it puts the player at a constant disadvantage, but for units fielded, not state boosting. It also would allow for some more epic late game battles where the AI can field poo poo.

Side note, if you pause in battle you're giving yourself a give boost over the AI. It's 100% unfair to judge the AI if you pause.

AFAIK it would be really hard and probably be script based if it was possible at all, so it's extremely unlikely. Recruitment is also explictly tied to the buildings themselves, tier is kinda irrelevant. Each factions buildings are different so you can't just try to draw lines between them either.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
No because the buildings are based on factions, and the player and AI all fall under the same rules. You'd have to make a different mod for each faction so that the factions you aren't playing just get access to their all units through the settlement chain. It might work but it would be weird and probably ungainly.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Update on the watchtower mod for anyone interested:

Pretty close to having it done, the only major obstacles I have left (that I know of) is changing the ports in occupied towns and the UI for when you colonize. Plus a bunch of other stuff like cleaning up names and text but thats all pretty easy.

Unfortunately those are 2 pretty big problems but we'll see how it goes.

There's a lot of sidestepping I have do with UI and graphics too, which I kinda hate, but the assets just don't exist otherwise. The above is a empire town graphic, but it looks really dumb using dwarf towns instead and there's nothing like fort/watchtower type graphics.

My hope is an end product that retains regional settlements but makes it so 2/3s of the map isn't hidden under fog and unsettled, since that's kinda dumb to me. I'm working on it so that you have a couple building chain that lets you occupy the ruins more or less and claim that province, but with no real benefits other then expanding vision and extending friendly territory for replenishment.

I'm tempted to tie in some special units like Dwarf Rangers into this for added flavor, but thats a bit down the road.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 16, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wafflecopper posted:

What about the encamp-stance graphic, could you use that?

I actually tried it once I found it cause it seemed perfect, but for some reason the static version doesn't use its textures correctly like the character version does, and they aren't interchangeable since once is a .bmd file and the other .csc. I am going to edit the texture at some point to get rid of the non-functioning mask and just color it with my mediocre PS skills and use it anyway , but it sucks that it doesn't work as well as it could.

Also, I can't use it for coastal towns because it projects it half under the river and looks terrible. It's really annoying. The whole mod process has been trying different ways of forcing things to work and working around really strict rules/limited assets. One example being that the settlements automatically level up when you give them new buildings through coded/scripts, and mousing over the icon would crash the game since it had no buildings to occupy the slot :suicide:. I've had to change my setup a couple times when I realized things just weren't going to work the way I was trying to do it.

Also, I've been playing VC and since magic is really underwhelming I messed with the spells myself after looking at Molay's mod.

There is a certain point where Nehek caps out the existing unit HP and just starts respawning the entire unit en masse if you raise the values too high, lol. It makes VCs really fun though when you have a bunch of OP spells to cast.

On Molay's, he's a little sloppy with his tables leaving in lines he probably doesn't need to, but most of his changes seem pretty well done and reasonably balanced. I'd use it if you haven't tried it yet and like using magic characters.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 16, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Chomp8645 posted:

Rush is only the "default" behavior in MP because VC are a bit overpowered at the moment, and anyone fighting them can't take the same kind of army that they would deploy against others. I've been very successful in MP with an Empire list that is heavy on ranged firepower (both guns and cannons) that absolutely does not want the lines to clash as quickly as possible. It usable against everything other than VC because VC are over-tuned and require you to counter build them.

Honestly you can solve 90% of problems with MP in an instant if you follow the rules "don't play against VC" and "auto-quit if the opponent brought less than 300 men".

Is it all on the back of spirit leech and lord sniping or is it a more complex build?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Fans posted:

Empire can snipe with Light Wizards and Witch Hunters, while Orcs can with Azhag so no it's not true. Crypt Horrors are pretty darn good for VC, but commander sniping them is far more deadly.

Orcs and Empire are the two best empires right now, Empire way ahead due to Demigryphs, though Black Orcs are well 'ard.

Are you talking MP or SP because they are very different beasts. I don't care about SP balance because the answer is always spend more.

terrorist ambulance posted:

How are you supposed to get an economy off the ground for vampire counts? No one wants to trade and your economy buildings are poo poo. I'm aware you can stack banshees/ necromancer but that's boring and also takes too long

Your income actually mostly comes from your settlements and the gold mine you get in Drakenhof. Focus on growth to get your settlements up to level 3+ fast, and your capitals to 4+ since the necro and vamp buildings give 350/500 each.

Focus on one province at a time as you expand since you need to stabilize corruption ASAP to boost growth or you'll fight empire rebellions really often.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 16, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Dandywalken posted:

Hey Mazz, any idea how hard it would be to add more wargear etc to the lootable templates? I imagine there's a huge amount of potential expansion there.

They are in the ancillaries table. Probably not that hard, although I don't know the spawn mechanics yet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah armor will never completely reduce incoming damage, just reduce it. Wards do negate the full attack though, like bird man with 80% missile resistance just walking through thunderer fire like it wasn't there.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Think of AP damage as guaranteed damage on any type of target. Units with the AP tag tend to be 3/4s AP damage and 1/4 base damage. Regular units are the opposite. I'm pretty sure bonus damage, which isn't properly displayed in the total bar, is also guaranteed, but don't quote me on that.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Rakthar posted:

Halberds do have an attack penalty, do dwarf great weapon units also get this attack speed penalty? Like quarrelers with great weapons attack at ~5 seconds instead of the default 3.8? Same with Warriors and Longbeards?

What the hell are the attack times for Hammerers and Slayers then :psyduck:

Is there a way to get a list of which units use which attack speeds? Barring that, because it might be lengthy, can we get a list of which great weapon units take 5+ seconds? Maybe that's shorter.

Halberds are like 5.5 lol

Slayers are normal speed IIRC, and have +30 to large which is why they are great against Varghulfs, Varheists, Trolls and Giants.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 17, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Dandywalken posted:

Does attack speed tweaking scale the animation accordingly?

Kinda odd they didnt up the attack speed for dual wielders.

No, apparently Kholek has a passive damage reduction in that his animation is longer then his attack speed.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Rakthar posted:

Apparently some units can also hit multiple units per swing? Is this just monstrous units or do long ranged units like Halberds / Spears have this effect as well?

Do some artillery units have different values for direct / splash damage? Is there a way to tell whether 'explosive' damage is regular dmg, ap dmg, or neither?

Splash damage is certainly a thing, there are items/abilities that can add it to units without. I don't think any baseline infantry have it but I never looked closely. The weapon damage tooltip when you mouse over the value in the unit card tells you the exact break down off damage types, including explosive for units that have it. The only thing I don't think it models right is extra ranged damage units get from veterancy or hero boosts. Like the damage is there but the stat breakdown doesn't update to show it.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
It's definitely spreading it out since 400 to any infantry model is enough to kill it IIRC, units fighting those lords would loving evaporate. Against low count units like trolls that were bunched up, that would be 2000+ damage a melee swing.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 17, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that being the forsure roadmap since you can find all kinds of poo poo in the files that really has no purpose being there. I don't doubt that's a pretty accurate list of the factions, and I think we all already kinda figured the first big expansion would be the New World with naval combat, but past that I wouldn't consider that list accurate on order or full details of the DLCs.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Wallet posted:

If so, does anyone know what the guy who made it means when he says that some units have "dynamic caps"?

Probably that he limits the available numbers of units to armies/totals. It still exists in the files but I don't think the vanilla game uses it at all. I highly doubt he made it flexible or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Decus posted:

Would they have maybe kept a way to increase the cap on specific units in as an effect or something you could easily add as an effect so long as you named it correctly (probably with the unit id at the end)? So you could assign it to skills or buildings. Probably worth downloading his mod and opening up tables to see if he did figure out something like that.

That may work since agents are now connected to the tactical map and they weren't ever before. Might be able to tie it to the same system, but idk.

• Locked thread