Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Good job OP, great :effort:.

As a TW Longbeard, TWWH is on par with Shogun 2, Medieval 2, Rome 1, and Napoleon. In time it will probably eclipse half of those except for the fact that WHFB makes it like comparing apples to oranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

:words: about Radious being good.

Naw man, it's poo poo.

1) By increasing morale across the board it completely unbalances the intended fight dynamics. Fear/terror effects don't work properly, low tier chaff require 60%+ casualties to route, etc.

2) Everybody's economy gets a boost so there's more armies and more fights (that last forever) but it's really just cranking the dial to 11.

3) Magic is almost pointless because of the combat changes.

Radious uses a ~warhammer~ when he should be using a scalpel. There are artful ways to achieve longer fights that don't make for boring meat grinders. For example the Proper Combat Mod does a much better job of extending combat withonly a few across the board changes and a variety of small tweaks.

CA did an incredible job with unit balance this go-round; there's only a few units that could be called broken and even then it's not a deal breaker.

Look; it's your game, play how you want. However, your opinion is Bad.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Xae posted:

I always find VC a bit of a slog.

You've got a single strategy you can execute.

At least with other factions I can build armies for different tactics instead of executing the same one over and over again.

It's 3 strategies:

Zerg with chaff

Zerg with Vamps

Zerg with Monsters

I like a combination of 1 & 3 where you take a Vamp hero, a Vamp Champ and few Elite units out and march them just past your corruption zone to the first vulnerable capital. Take the capital, heal up and make some high walls.

I find it very satisfying.

Edit:

Xae posted:

Demigryph Knights are probably going to get the poo poo nerfed out of them, justifiably so.

The next biggest issue is Quarrelers, but even that isn't a huge one. They're very good and very easy to use, but they do fall off pretty hard against armor.

Legendary Lord, Magic and Agent balance is all over the place though.

Exactly :hfive:

Demigryphs are the main culprit, I don't think anybody is complaining about Quarrelers as they are the intended DPS for dwarves. If anything I think they may address Thunderers/imperial gunners for their lack luster performance.

Magic is the second biggest issue with no scaling and VC being a bit broken against single targets. Vamps may be tones down in a general sense.

I don't think they'll touch agents at all. They haven't in the past.

Because they've never touched agents I don't think they'll touch LL's either (except to buff underperformers maybe). Those guys are intended to be badass.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 8, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Arglebargle III posted:

Warhammer the game is known for terrible balance, so you'd never see certain armies like Tomb Kings or Beastmen.

I don't know about WHFB but 40ks thing is to intentionally unbalance things improve to sell the army of the fiscal quarter.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I haven't tried living trolls yet so this isn't first hand... But: because they regenerate wouldn't low morale be a feature? They run, regroup, regenerate, and come back?

Or is their morale so bad that it never recovers?

Or maybe greenskin armies don't last long enough for that to matter?

I'm betting it's the last one.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Crypt horrors are the bomb diggity.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Wilekat posted:

Holy poo poo.

This is the most :black101: thing I've ever seen happen to me in a videogame.

This is the number 1 reason why this game is a contender best TW ever.

Early in my VC campaign Templehoff bum rushed me with a full stack after I took one one of the northward cities. I was trapped and seriously overmatched. All but Manny and his vargulf died fairly quickly and I spent a good 8 minutes just healing the Vargulf, meleeing Templehoff down and whacking undead. They whittled through 6 units

I named the Vargulf Fluffy.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Weissritter posted:

Reading through the thread I have a feeling a lot of people renamed Mannfred's starting Vargulf to Fluffy.

As did I :v:

I was also assigning pun names to my vamps. Celine Deadon, Bella YaDeadsee, Ivanna Sukurblood, Christopher loving Lee, etc

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

ZarathustraFollower posted:

This would spike the difficulty for chaos and make them much more annoying to play as. Sack-> encamp is a mainstay of using their armies well. As is, it makes razing a tactical choice, since it leaves you more vulnerable at the end of your turn than just sacking.

And for non-hordes too. Hopping back across your border from a sack allows for replenishment of casualties and there's a lot of places that empire/vc can pull that off. It's super helpful when you're suffering attrition when you stay put.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Washin Tong posted:

Because it is and always has been the No Morale, Infinite Gold and Stack Spam mod.

Weren't they calling those trainer mods back in those halving Diablo days?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
In shogun 1 and medieval 1 I toyed with the group formations. At the time it was a simple X/Y array with an obtuse unit type naming system. At the time I didn't know poo poo about code.

I merely know poo poo about code now, but I reckon it'd be a lot easier for me to decipher.

When we had loose formations you could make a quick checker-board by drawing a loose line and then turning off loose.

It's too bad I don't have the time to gently caress with the knobs and poo poo. loving fatherhood.

In other news the baby is shaking his head at me now so I'm teaching him to shake his head with his tounge out while saying whaaaag. So my question is is that a soft A or a hard A?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd like to think it won't be hard, whaaaaag is barley a word anyway.

Right now he barely up to waving bye bye so how mimic is still weak and impressionable.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
It may be that the forests are the first test of the map on map thing we've been floating. I really like that idea and I hope they go with it. The skaven underground could have events where holes to the surface open for pillaging opportunities.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Mazz posted:

EDIT: Also, while I really like the idea of the map within the map thing for forest factions, it'll be the first big dynamic change besides magic that hasn't been tested in the previous titles. I hope it doesn't suck.

I'm sure I've been beaten but what about Empires trade zones. OTOH, this is a different engine and would likely have to be built from the ground up so yeah.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

Always kill Zhufbar if you're VCs, they end up confederating with Dwarfs and you have to kill Dwarfs eventually.

I tried rushing down The Empire as fast as I could, and I got them before they had swallowed up that many provinces. I'll try doing both them and the Dwarfs next time, then I can leisurely stroll through the shattered lesser powers at my leisure.

Is Zufbar the red one or the one to the south? I allied the Red one in my VC game, they're good friends now. I also forgot that I had the Dwarf Economy Cheat Mod on so at turn 130 I just quit that campaign.

My Dwarf campaign tho... I had that cheat mod on for the first 50 turns, then turned it off... I still have a couple million in the bank at turn 90.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Zephro posted:

Zhufbar is immediately to the north of The Silver Road, the starting Dwarf province. They are badasses who always tie up the VCs for a good 70 turns in my Dwarf games. That gives me time to exterminate the greenskins before rolling over the Vampires with my doomstacks. Zhufbar are bros.

Yeah, as VC I like those Red guys North of Gunbad. I never got bothered by Zuffbar though, they wardec'd me but got eaten by greenies shortly thereafter. I'm blaming this on that Dwarf cheat too. I had to go out and kill Grimgor as cheaty dwarfs so I think the boosted economy makes him reluctant to attack. My normal Dwarf campaign had the usual Grimgor stack around turn 10.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

genericnick posted:

Maybe just add a flat +1 turn? As is you don't use it in early game because you can just walk back and don't have the money. And you definitely don't use it in late game because I don't see any opportunities you can just have a wounded halfstack sit around at your border/ in enemy territory for six turns. Unless you have won already anyway.

Recruitment and attrition difficulties are the closest we get to simulated supply lines. Grow a pair .

Anyway, the cool thing to do with global recruitment is have your dude in a troop producing province, order your fancy poo poo on regular and global your line troops. Full stack in half the time.

Edit: idk how but my dwarf campaign is up to 6 slots it the global.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Nasgate posted:

This is also super useful for building an army in general. Recruiting about 6 or 7 high tier units in town, and recruiting your infantry at the same time is a huge time saver.

Sry bud, beaten.

Shumagorath posted:

Can they even have that at level 6? Thorgrim was reinforcing too and in previous games Night Fighting disabled reinforcements on both sides. Is it lower in the tree for dwarfs?

In this flavor of TW you have some kind of % chance of successful reinforcing armies. More ranks in lightning strike means better % chance.

EDIT: I only ever get the first rank.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

You're doing God's work Mazz

I have prayer bonerz for you, that's for sure.

As for that lightning strike stuff, I said I only ever got the first point in it.. I have no guilt.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Gonkish posted:

The Not-Vikings are legitimately a bigger problem than Chaos has ever or will ever be. gently caress those assholes.

Seriously, as Chaos I got so pissed at them that I went on a crusade to kill them all with my 2 stacks. 40 turns later I'm about to surrounded by 4 Varg stacks, Lord of Change's stack, and loving Karl Franz.

That run was fun while it lasted. Very challenging. (VH/N)

Shumagorath posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=701170286

Great mod for anyone who's sick of Varg and Skaeling pumping out full stacks of max-veterancy units in a couple of turns. I decided to cleanse the north and while I was able to beat Varg down just fine Skaeling raided one ally too many and next thing I knew was charging back south to replenish units and trying not to get mobbed by horses. I installed the mod and instantly those stacks got cut in half with the hit it puts on their economy. It also caps their recruitment at bronze-3; no idea if they get experience for doing absolutely nothing.

Welp, that's a reset then.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 18, 2016

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the quickest way to tell whether a campaign is bugged or unbugged?

That feels like the beginning of a terrible joke.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

Can someone go back over the reasoning behind recruiting a second horde in the first couple of turns?

It don't believe in this strategy. I tried it and didn't like it. I start with kohlek, awaken/subjugate that first tribe, kill all the dwaves, then awake/subjugate a Second tribe and have Signal take the second stack. I gave siggy the starting army because by this time kho could recruit a good stack on his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I wanna talk some more about D&D hammer.

Is the idea that only the player runs parties and slays full units of enemies or that all factions have parties and it's a character focused campaign.

In the case of the latter I like the idea of trouncing the unit sizes but leaving HP largely untouched. This would differ by faction and unit type. So Empire would have 3 dude units of hippogryfs, 5 dude Reiksguard and 8 dude units for all the other cavalry... maybe between 10 and 15 for infantry units. Conversely, Greenskin numbers would greater, Max 30, min 8 dudes, depending on the unit. To keep damages even you'd have to up the damage value of the individual dude...

The former mode, heroes vs. Hordes, might be a simpler game because your main concern is modifying the heroes and strategic level to support it. Hero vulnerability to missiles would need to be addressed.

Strategic level would need to have greater hero caps, maybe even a lower recruitment requirement so you can start with one of each hero available. Something would need to be done about the multiple stack multiplier but I think that could be controlled through upkeep.

Ideally you'd want to change as few tables as possible to allow other mods to function. I dunno, ought try and make this thing.

• Locked thread