Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Seems like a perfectly reasonable response to me. Lots of new to total war players jumped in for this game there was bound to be some confusion

I do wish they'd brought the army tab button back from attila. Being able to switch between two 20 card stacks with a button press rather than funneling through 40 cards onscreen at once was so convenient.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone made a model swap to make Manfred look like a Hammer Pictures vampire?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NT Plus posted:

This is kinda delving into lore fluff but isn't Grimgor supposedly bar none the most skilled fighter in Warhammer Fantasy?

Not skill, just sheer brute force and violence. The amount of anger pent up inside Grimgor cannot be understated. Even the game sort of underplays his rage. He sounds almost calm in this game, which is kind of weird, when he should be one long, nonstop scream of madness with the occasional word in there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the DirectX 12 Beta only for AMD cards? The option is greyed out for me and I use an NVIDIA GTX 960

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does effects quality affect the gore effects? I remember Attila had blood sprays on the actual landscape, but in warhams it looks more like the medieval 2 battle damaged unit look.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I checked the CA website and it had a list of cards compatible for dx12. The 960 and 970 are on there. There is a second column however for some feature not sure what that says yes beside each amd card and no beside each Nvidia card.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Select DX12 mode from the launcher that pops up when you start the game from steam

That option is greyed out as well as the ingame menu

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do Black Orcs have a leadership Aura? Or are Orcs just limited to Grimgor or Warboss for aura fields?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find I do better as orcs when I'm actually angry. I guess they need a gently caress it attitude to do well

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How exactly are you supposed to fight Savage Orc spam armies. I'm up against Top-Knotz WAAAAGHs which include 8-10 troll units apiece and everything else is a big-un.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Truecon420 posted:

I've got a quick lore question, is the timeline for this game Cyclical? I know canonically the chaos invasion pretty much succeeded and the old world was destroyed during End Times, but i'm confused as to whether the age of myths, which I thought already occurred, or the age of sigmar comes after.

Chaos makes frequent invasions. This game seems to take the Storm of Chaos campaign as its tentative inspiration, so it isn't quite as stupid as the End Times invasion, but it's certainly not the Age of Myths or Age of Sigmar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ChickenWing posted:

Aren't they canonically top-of-their-empire-game Eldar?

No. The old ones are a separate entity from the Eldar. There used to be more overlap between 40k and fantasy but now the only tangible connection is when some skaven accidentally prank called the 40k universe via copious amounts of warpstone sniffing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Verranicus posted:

STEAMHEAD DUARDIN

AELVES!!

ORRUKS.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Solution to Savage Orc hordes. Murder the gently caress out of them before they get too big and let the wandering ones eat dwarf holds.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Got roped into a war with tilea and azhag gets engaged by three tilean armies. Rather than retreat into friendly territory literally right on the border next to him, azhag retreats towards the enemy settlement and another two tilean armies. Time to do some smacking and then rebuilding

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My first battle with archaeon was a typical anticlimax. Had four huge orc armies move to encircle him, and he intercepted the weakest army underground and got crushed by a level one warboss leading a middling army

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, just about finished my Orc campaign. I definitely find fights against the Empire, Brettonia or Warriors of Chaos to be a much more even match than a battle against Dwarfs or Vampire Counts. Chaos Warriors have a decent challenge due to their high level warriors, but they also have marauders to give their stacks some variety and provide areas for Orcs to exploit along their battle line. Empire has decent morale and a huge range of units that make them fun to fight against, and theirs and Brettonia's cavalry focus actually give you a good reason to use orc archer units.

But Dwarfs and Vampire Counts are just unfun slogs due to their ungodly morale, samey armies, and the fact that killing their hero does poo poo all. Even the vampire counts, which are supposed to be a lynchpin army where killing the hero should cause them to crumble, take way too long to do so, leading up to heavy casualties while you just wait for an arbitrary timer to run out and the enemy turns to dust. For Dwarfs, I get it, you need a high morale army to cover your lack of mobility, but you also have a poo poo ton of armour, which makes exploiting any weaknesses along the line hopeless as a unit of regular dwarf warriors will frequently fight to the death against three orc boy units which have no chance of overwhelming them.

And that's just the basic warrior unit. I'm fine with something like Longbeards fighting to the death, but regular dwarfs are just too frustrating. I'd either drop their morale somewhat to make them more likely to rout when ganged up on, or make it so that if you do manage to rout them at all, they immediately shatter and don't regroup. I have yet to have a fight with Dwarfs on even numbers that didn't end with a close or pyrrhic victory because the bastards will just not loving die. This is also using armor piercing units and rock lobbers. It also doesn't help that Orcs don't get much that can stand up to basic dwarf units until tier three buildings are unlocked, and even then Big'Uns sacrifice a shield and so get mulched by Quarrelers, who are also strong in melee and will tie up your cavalry if you decide to harass their rear lines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the tzeentch daemon is prowling around the border princes uncomfortably close to barak varr, so time to cancel my romp through the empire. Barak varr is a fortress however so should it be besieged I can hold out long enough to get two stacks back home while leaving the third and it's waaagh to distract the empire. Meanwhile azhag finally has his crown and is happily attacking the northern empire provinces plus loving over any skaelings coming down for a fight.

Altdorf is a smoking crater that gave me a juicy 35000 teef for razing it first however. That was fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah reinforcement and retreat paths are still hosed in this game. Also waaagh armies are kind of wonky where enemies can sometimes target them and attack them even if they moved alongside their mother force without the main stack being in range. I know lightning strike can let you attack before reinforcements arrive but sometimes waaagh wander off in the wrong direction and get ganked the same turn they spawn.

I'd also like to see better units spawn in certain waaagh armies. Maybe make a skill that increases the chance to spawn waaagh stacks with higher value forces.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not a liar just old

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

unwantedplatypus posted:

It's a shame they killed the setting. It would have been super cool to see the timeline advanced. Brettonian Napoleon, weapons factories under skavenblight, mass-production of steam tanks.

There are already weapons factories in Skavenblight. Clan Skryre basically operates on World War 1 level technology with their warpstone powered ratling guns and chemical warfare.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

As an aside, Thorgrim has an incredible voice actor.

As does Azhag the Slaughterer. Grimgor is great for being straightforward and smashy, but Azhag sounds like an Orc trying to be sophisticated, and kind of pulling it off.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I defeated the Warriors of Chaos. Turns out that a giant bird monster isn't so scary when you throw twelve thousand orcs at it. Three maxed out stacks with their own waaaghs in tow. The chaos warriors never stood a chance.

Now the Skaelings are the most powerful nation, launching viking raids against the Empire while I still have two more Greenskin armies with Waaaghs having fun raiding up north.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something you guys haven't talked about much is the music. This is probably the first time since Shogun 2 that I've liked the music and not found it completely forgettable. Rome 2 and Attila's music just blend into the background. Warhammer's music really sticks though. I get a lot of flashbacks to the great ambient campaign tracks from Rome 1 like Divinitus with the ethereal chanting on the campaign map.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Onmi posted:

what are important technologies for all the factions?

The Doom Diver and Arachnarok Spider unlocks for Orcs. Everything else on their research tree is about making your other forces fightier.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So if I have a high enough tier greenskin army can I forego cavalry in favor of monstrous units like arachnaroks or giants? I really don't want to drop my artillery corps or my ten Frontline infantry units.

Current grimgor army is four black orcs, six big'uns, three arrer boys, one giant, one boar boy, the doom diver and two rock lobbers.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 13, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

drat, Beastmen trailer owned. CA has really upped their game with their trailers. Can't wait to stomp, bleat and poop all over the Empire!

Do we know if the BeastMAN in the trailer is one of their Legendary Lords? I'm not familiar with them.

I'm guessing shoggoths are gonna be lords

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm doing an all out invasion of the chaos wastes with every orc army I have. So far the varg are actually putting up a decent fight

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Not having harpies will definitely hurt the most. As it seems like they'd be similar to fell bats, which are very useful.

On the bright side, there's always the bretonnian peasantry to masturbate to

"Masturbate lads! Our Liege Lord demands it!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Corrode posted:

This isn't quite right.

'Fluffy' armies were a thing poo poo tier players used to gripe about but usually comp systems were designed because GW are wholly inadequate as rules writers and always have been. You either had 'hard' comp (which literally said 'your army book allows you to take 3 of these but don't bring more than 2 because that's not fun for anyone') or 'soft' comp which did stuff like what you're describing. Well-designed systems meant bad players with powerful armies suffered but good players would still win out overall.

Painting scores weren't about painting any particular way, just bothering to paint/model at all. The requirements were usually low-level technically, they just ensured people wouldn't show up with grey plastic poo poo.

Not universally true of course because plenty of TOs are groggy guys and just as bad at designing a system of rules as GW are (and often worse because of obvious personal bias!) but in the mainstream that was it.

This table top discussion reminds me of the brilliant Tau versus White Scars image floating around.
http://imgur.com/gallery/V0gND

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, took me 300 turns, but my Greenskin "kill absolutely everything in the entire game" campaign is finally over, with the killing blow being dealt by Icky Backbiter in vengeance for the assassination of beloved Goblin Shaman Thogga Legbiter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Archonex posted:

Does the game end when you get a campaign victory of either type? Because trying to engineer sandbox situations would be extremely my poo poo.

You can end a campaign after achieving short campaign goals, or continue for long campaign goals, or continue after that as well to kill all other factions. You will still receive random missions until you literally have nobody left to fight.

Invading the Chaos Wastes was a tough slog due to the high attrition rates, so I compensated with seven greenskin armies all leapfrogging each other using a combination of raiding camps and underways.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Perestroika posted:

I hope they find a way to include this guy somehow:

Is... is that an official SCRUNT?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mans posted:

think this was made by gork himself

Mork you mean.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lone Badger posted:

WAAAGH!
(charges Arcsquad)

CA made a huge mistake when they did the Gork or Mork? events. Gork is superior because he has +4 fightiness to Mork's +3. Should have been +5 for either.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doom divers kill more dwarfs than rock lobbers. their damage is high enough and they are super accurate to make mincemeat out of anything. add in the fire rate upgrades and they become monsters.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Question about leadership bonuses. Do they only apply to units within the general's aura or are they army wide, with only active buffs affecting units in the aura?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gitro posted:

Depends on the buff. If it doesn't specify that it's attached to the aura then it's army-wide.

So say the ability on the orc warboss's melee tree that gives a +5 to the leadership bonus; that would be army wide? If that's the case I need to reorganize my army lines because I've been playing way to conservatively by keeping most of my units close to the general aura.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ah okay then that makes sense. I wonder when skarsnik will become an LL? I'd love to see an expanded night goblin tree with squigs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am convinced anyone who claims to have beaten a greenskin campaign on hard difficulty or higher is a loving liar, or lucky to the point that the dwarfs never sent a doomstack their way for the first fifty turns.

Even without the leadership penalty there is literally nothing you can do to beat dwarfs tactically if they attack you before you can even unlock rock lobbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Obstacle2 posted:

You can take them out pretty early I think, with your first Wagh if you are talking specifically about the main dwarf faction.

Maybe if you auto resolve and manage to cheese it, but not on a tactical map

• Locked thread