Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Fangz posted:

Is there a mod yet that attempts to make spells roughly equivalent to each other, without overall buffing their effectiveness? (i.e. not Molay's)

What do you mean by that? As in without boosting the overall strength of spells (so make all spells roughly as strong as the current strongest spell)? Or reducing strong spells and buff weak spells to some current average? Because there's no way to make all spells equal to each other and effective without buffing some of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Does windows 10 cause issues with gaming? I know that 8 had big compatibility issues for a while, but I've been thinking of upgrading to 10 to be able to use DX12. Anyone have advice on whether or not it's worth it?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Gejnor posted:

Sure, and ive now changed it so the cap is 1. I want one tar pit unit please.. oh god please just one okay JUST ONE PLEASE!

Now to make it so grimgor starts with this unit instead of a standard black orc unit!

Edit: or not, since it seems to be a start position thing and i can't find it :ohdear:, also im not sure it'd work since i need to reference a modded unit that does not exist into the base start pos thingy.

I did learn a few cool things, according to the game Grimgor is 24 years old. Thorgrim is 31!

The Where Is Krell? mod adds Krell as a 1 limit unit, and makes Kemmler start with him instead of the Dire Wolves. This won't change the lord select screen tooltip but it works in game so I know it's possible. I'd suggest opening up that mod and seeing how they did it

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

genericnick posted:

I think most of the problem with the dwarfs is that the game offers shiny prices for expansion north (Gunbad, Ungrim) while your main enemy is to the south. In the end you have a million fronts and a terrible logistic situation with the mountains splitting your realm.

The Dwarf game would be at least twice as easy if you could easily reach the northern mountain area from your starting section. As it stands, it takes like 6 turns to get there even via tunneling, which is effectively 0 contact. You end up basically having two separate empires

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

ClassicFascist posted:

So I see the pictures on the OP of the Checkerboard formation, but could someone post a video of it in action? When I do it the enemies go through the gaps and attack the sides of my warriors and hit my thunderers.

I am obviously doing something wrong.

Most likely, your thunderers are too wide. Your guns can fire in surprisingly deep ranks, so they should be basically squares, while the melee infantry are rectangles. This way, the gaps for your thunderers to shoot through are thinner than your enemy's melee units. Additionally, the thunderers should be at least two unit-depths behind, so that they aren't caught by the enemy's momentum

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

My bet for Empire is Kurt Helborg, the Reiksmarshal. This is pretty much entirely based around the empire offices screen. At the top is the Emperor, Karl Franz. Second row is the Patriarch (Gelt) and the Reiksmarshal (Unfilled). He could be a Duelist Lord, similar to Sigvald, as he is considered the best swordsman in the Empire. He's got two unique magical items, including one of the Runefangs, and gets a named horse mount. Also, he has the best moustache

The downside is that he wouldn't be all that different from Karl Franz. A more unique character would be Volkmar "Battle Pope" the Grim, a lord-level Warpriest. He'd have the warpriest prayers and buffs on a Lord frame, and may even get an altar as a unique mount if they wanted to be awesome.

If I wanted to go completely impossible wishlist, I'd go for Elspeth von Draken, a Gelt-level Death wizard on a muthafuckin dragon and a bunch of cool magic items

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Reik posted:

Considering the success of using other IPs in the Total War scheme, I am really looking forward to Total War: Pokemon.

Total War: Lord of the Rings
Total War: Dynasty Warriors (not historical three kingdoms china, full on superpowered hero Dynasty Warriors)
Total War: Dragon Age
Total War: Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance/Eberron
Total War: Exalted
Total War: Age of Mythology
Total War: Warcraft
Total War: Elder Scrolls
Total War: Wheel of Time
Total War: Narnia

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

No game of thrones? A shameful display!

:frogout:

Eh, it would be cool at first but your generals would keep dying every turn so I figured it'd be too frustrating

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Aurubin posted:

So I assume they're padding out their dlc by saying a new hero as well as lore of magic, because most likely those things are one in the same. Will it be Life or Beasts first? I pean towards Life, as the latter would potentially require reskinning or creating new animal models.

Probably Shadow first. Nobody uses Beasts, and Life would really only benefit the Empire whereas Chaos, Vampires and Empire all use Shadow

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Wasn't there a medieval 2 total war mod for Game of Thrones? I'm pretty sure I remember playing it, and Stannis got shadow-ghost-baby as a super high level one-use assassin

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Beastmen may also fit the all-vanguard-deploy role that Shogun 2 and Attila had, since beastmen get a special ambush rule on the tabletop. At the very least, I hope they get a good +ambush chance blue skill like vampires do

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Fun matches, really liked the second one, dwarfs vs vampires, it was all good and great for the undead until Mannfred died and his army went poof!. The last match was a bit of a clusterfuck, corner camping aside, the dwarfs were completely surrounded and in a completely hopeless position and a few minutes later the entire group of brettonian infantry was gone, and it was the major part of the army, that shows that peasants aren't trustwhorthy, except the ones manning the trebuchets.

Yeah, these were my first real multiplayer matches and it was a lot of fun. I played the vampires in the second match and the dwarfs in the last one. As the dwarfs, I was terrified of the greater bretonnian mobility, which is why I tried to keep in a block formation as I inched forward. In the end, it wasn't enough to counter the cavalry's ability to cycle charge but it was really tense for a while. I think I may have been able to win the vamp vs dwarf match if I had just been more careful with Mannfred at the end there, but 420gankmid played really well and I had no problems admitting defeat. My most embarrassing match was definitely my loss as Empire though, I completely failed to redeploy once I saw that his initial position completely countered mine. No idea what I was thinking there, but I'll just be sure to do better next time!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

Where would we be guessing the Beastmen would start? If I had to guess, maybe work them in between the southern borders of the Brettonian area and Tilea somewhat close-ish to the wood elf hellforest. It would give that area of the map some strategic purpose rather than the plurality of the action being mostly centered toward the east half of the map.

I would guess that big open area west of Middenland and north of Marienburg. It's currently a huge wasteland (appropriately enough) and there's enough dense forests there to make a plausible beastman start location

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

420 Gank Mid posted:

Rewatching that Brettonia vs Dwarfs match it looked a lot closer than it felt when I was playing, didn't realize how quickly my infantry evaporated at the end there (probably in part to my own trebuchets)

I think if you had brought quarrellers instead of thunderers and had you taken a strong line at the crest of the hill instead of a box at the top you could have beaten me pretty soundly

I was expecting more heavy cavalry than the light infantry you ended up pinning me with, hence taking thunderers to pierce their armor. I probably should have trusted the sturdy dwarfs to stand up to the charges more

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Grumio posted:

I've got a soft spot for Beastmen, even if the army was terrible the last few editions of warhammer TT. I like the lore and the skirmish/ambush feel of the army.
It would be neat if they gave the bulk of Beastmen units vanguard deployment, at least while in forests

I once saw a funny multiplayer match in Attila, where both sides brought celtic armies and ambushed each other's deployment areas. No real point being made here, just remembering a funny story. Also amusing: when both sides in a battle deploy their hidden ambush troops in the same stand of trees, seeing them get wiped out two seconds into the fight

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Sigmar fought alongside Grimnir ~2500 years ago. So onescore centuries ago, give or take 500 years

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

"Once more we will ally with the Manlings, just as Grimnir did ten-score centuries ago"
I thought this was referring to Sigmar fighting alongside the dwarfs against the orcs. When did Grimnir ally with the manlings then?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

I wanted to link Steamhead Duradin models, but I cant find them as a category on their loving site

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Hammerers $50 for 10 hammerers
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dwarf-Warriors $35 for 16 warriors
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Gyrobomber $45 1 gyrobomber
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Dwarf-Cannon $25 1 cannon
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Auric-Runefather-on-Magmadroth $110 Whatever the gently caress this is
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vulkite-Berserkers $60 10 slayers

Dwarfs Steamhead Duardin are spread between these categories that I could find
Dispossesed
Ironweld Arsenal
Fyreslayers

Not featured anywhere: Thorgrim or Ungrim

A decent sized army could have:
50 warriors (140 dollars with some spares)
20 ranged infantry (70 dollars, again with some spares. Let's call it 35 because we can share between warriors and ranged)
2 artillery pieces (50 dollars)
3 Lords/Heroes (63 dollars)
A gyrocoptor or bomber (45 dollars)
This is $333 dollars, not counting any modeling or painting tools/supplies. For a decent sized (1500 point) army in a single configuration. Actual dwarf players would have about twice this many models to provide for options, so you're looking about $700 plus at least $100 in supplies and paints.
Final price for a serious but not hardcore dwarf player: $500-800 dollars

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 15, 2016

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

I will be preordering the DLC because I'm literal human garbage

I too have preordered the DLC because you're literal human garbage

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gork is +4 for 3 turns

Moro is +3 for 4 turns

So you really have to consider the pros and cons of both.

Except that Gork is better anyway. There is no scenario where Mork's bonus is better, because Gork gives you the same advantage sooner

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Verranicus posted:

By AI I mean an army of my own controlled by the AI. It's only happened while I was fighting the Dwarves in the mountains so all I can guess is that maybe because of the wonky reinforcement directions bug, my reinforcements seem to be coming from directions that are blocked by mountains and that somehow makes it so they don't spawn at all.

Did you uncheck control large army? If so, then you are capped at 20 units on the field. So if your main army is a full stack, you won't get any reinforcements until one of your units is wiped out or routs off the map

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Olive Branch posted:

SigvalD&D is one of the best parts of this game. I renamed my Sigvald "party" after Baldur's Gate characters and tooled them up to be master warriors. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=718775991

From a few pages ago, but I actually made a mod that lets you do this from turn 1. It enables all heroes and lets you recruit up to 50 of them. It's pretty viable for factions with a good hero range

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Kainser posted:

Are there any lords that have really really good quest items for battles?

I love the Skull Staff quest battle. It's super easy, but the battle gimmick of sitting back and letting your "allied" mercenary pawns fight it out until they either die or discover your presence seems like a very Vampire Counts thing to do.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Minor spoilers for the mini campaign

In the mini campaign, when you beat Todbringer, you can get a permanent +aura buff and a HUGE +aura leadership buff. This combined with the base Beastlord +leadership skills and the doombull's +leadership skills meant I had an aura the size of the entire map that let my ungor raiders have a 118 leadership. Some of my other guys were nearing 200. Poor leadership is definitely an early game thing for Beastmen, even without the mini-campaign Todbringer Eye buff.

Oh, and Todbringer's model updates after the first time you beat him, he gets a little eyepatch.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Looks like the 100% reinforcement buff from the moon was a typo and they meant it to be 10%. :saddowns:

It varies. It can either be 10%, 50% or 100%. The first two are fine if you're just moving along after a battle and want to replenish a bit faster, but when you get the 100% and it's timed right it's magical. It lasts two turns, and once I was attacking a well defended city in the north. Close fight, lost half my army but then they all recovered by the next turn just in time for 3 full stacks to sweep up. I fought them off one at a time, but it cost me most of my unit strength again. No worries though, because the second full heal turn kicked in an everyone was back in business. I find that the huge growth penalty doesn't hurt much later in the game. My main stack had something like 16-20 stored surplus and a +18 growth so just missing a few turns barely mattered

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Hrmm... what use is the new crow spell? "Enemies have a high chance to resist damage" really sucks, seems like the spell does nothing 4/5 times, but maybe I'm missing something.

It's long range, casts almost instantly, targets a large area, has a low cost and cooldown, and I've seen it have some pretty good damage on it. It's actually one of my favorite spells to cast now

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Experience never boosted missile damage, it boosted rate of fire. The number you see on the unit card is a sort of DPS calculation, so faster firing time = higher unit card damage

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

fnordcircle posted:

Well if that's the case I can't figure it out. I'd like to give one to Parravon, for instance, but even though we're allied up to the gills I don't see any option to give them a holding. I get why it's not there, really, the Empire should be about absorbing/crushing the other humans but since I'm pretty bad at running the Empire in the first place (my 'doom' stack is nothing like the doom stacks I've built with other races I actually have to think when fighting on normal) I'd rather keep my allies buffed until I get rid of these loving bajillion Skaeling and Varg fuckers.

Pretty sure this option was removed a few games ago, because the AI was completely unable to handle having that option. They would trade valuable cities for worthless places in the middle of nowhere, or other such mistakes. It could work as a player-only deal, where players can give AI territory but AI cannot give away their poo poo, but it's currently just not in the game at all to my knowledge

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mukip posted:

I'll do it, then! Mukip's Grand Tournament sign ups begin now. Let's give it a week.

So far it looks like we have:
*Mukip
*Asmodai_00
*Vox Nihili
*Yukitsu
*Mr. Wookums
*Obstacle2

Oh yeah, I'm banning double healing potions.

I'll try this again, it was a lot of fun last time

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Wipfmetz posted:

Gifting provinces to the vatican in Medieval 2 was a nice way to create safe buffer space between yourself and enemies.
Has there ever been a kinda-neutral, pan-national authority in any of the Total War games since that?

the Shogunate in Shogun 2? Other than that, all I can think of is the Bellisarius campaign for Attila

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

I would actually love a siege engine LL. It would certainly be something unique.

Wasn't there talk before the release about master engineers being able to take siege weapons as "mounts"? Was that just fan speculation, or a feature that didn't make it?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Related question: is it best to shove a leadership banner on a commander or does it have no effect on the aura?

Unless the bonus says that it affects the aura, it's only for that unit. Only give it to a commander if they've been routing a lot

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

human-sized melee lords become less effective since ungrim or whoever can still only kill one or two dudes per attack, and he's attacking at the same rate

On the other hand, still only ~20 guys can attack him and now he's got a billion health. Lords are super hard to kill with rank and file infantry on Ultra size

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

420 beat me 2-0. I think I did better this time around, but still have a lot to learn. Despite losing, it was a lot of fun! I definitely need to work on my micro, the Empire Cavalry and Vargheists performed pretty badly for me

Replays:
https://mega.nz/#!ndoBBQ7B!Dy60tNHarS4RAv1IHqhbmCT6OhnF8oXrXWiItXYrOIw

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

wiegieman posted:

For your empire match, I'd say you definitely kept your foot force way too clumped together. He took a lot less mortar attrition than you did. You also wasted your cavalry. As a rule of thumb, they should never go into the front of a unit, and should definitely not be anywhere near spears or halberds.

Good point about the clumping. I realized how I wasted the cavalry, but didn't notice the mortar thing. Thanks for the advice

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Mukip posted:

One, total per army.

Does this apply to Raise Dead too?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Also, Halberdiers, Swordsmen and Spearmen all get Honest Steel bonuses, which unless your Lord is high into the red tree makes them way more cost-effective than Greatswords

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Hey, Asmodai, what's your steam name? I will be unavailable this weekend unfortunately, but I could do early next week

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Dre2Dee2 posted:

If Ghorst is any good that makes Kemmler even more obsolete than he already is, loving lol

Buying the instant this is up for pre-order, the beast must be fed

The mod that adds Krell to Kemmler's starting units makes Kemmler sooo much better as a starting Lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

The Templehof Luminark seems like it's actually worth taking. A Luminark with Encourage and the Net spell? Sign me the gently caress up

Is there any confirmation of the Vlad rumor anywhere? Because I literally do not believe it

• Locked thread