Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Speaking of mods, it would be nice if advice-givers mentioned any mods they were using before giving advice (difficulty level is a good idea too). There can be a big difference playing the base campaigns vs campaigns with no enemy agent actions, super powered spells, settlements that can build T4 buildings, occupy any settlements regardless of race, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Zephro posted:

Confederating them is fine, though, since you'll do a much better job with their provinces than the AI will.

Just be careful because confederating will clear the garrison (hoping this is a bug that is fixed soon).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mazz posted:

Ehhhh I question that my T4 minor mod makes any kind of difference to difficulty. All it does is allow you to build a couple buildings in provinces outside your capital, all of which you could already build in your capital if you wanted. The turn timer and building costs are the same as a T4 major. The economy buff is pretty minor as empire doesn't even have tier 4 econ buildings and the dwarfs sure as gently caress don't need them to make a ton of money as it is.

Depending on the +% of income bonuses you get in a province it can give you quite a bit of extra money, but I agree that even without the T4 settlements the dwarfs should not have too much trouble earning money, especially with unique buildings like the brighstone mine in Mt. Gunbad (1500 income a turn, just incredible). T4 also lets you build the top tier public order buildings (or technically the better growth buildings, but I see no reason to ever invest that highly in growth anyway).

On one hand I often get annoyed by the building limitations and want to install that mod to open up my recruiting options, but on the other I realize it sort of forces some interesting decisions and allows me to change up my playstyle from game to game to help keep things fresh. For example in my orc campaign I currently have to choose between trolls & giants, wolves & spiders, or big 'un boar boyz & chariots. If I had T4 buildings I could build all 4 without losing anything since I would be able to get the giant spider and big 'un boars in any settlement.

However as far as your mod is concerned, as long as the AI can also build T4 buildings in settlements the recruiting thing should balance out, it just might help factions like the dwarfs a bit more since they have a T4 money building option that the Empire and Orcs don't have (I have yet to play VC so I'm not sure about them).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 8, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

This mod also looks like it has promise (found on reddit)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=698364760

It basically changes the color of your empire soldiers to match the region you recruited them in so they aren't all Reikland colors. I haven't tried it yet but I like mods that add a little bit more color to the game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mazz posted:

True, but in my Dwarf campaign, to put it in perspective, a fully fleshed out Mt Gunbad made more money than any of my other 4 town provinces, even with T4 settlement buildings. The income jump is there, but its not so much as to really be noticeable, unless you exploit it with heros like you mentioned, but the dwarfs really don't get much value from that. I was able to get the 60k income per turn achievement while 2/3s of my provinces were still only T3 minors. The Dwarfs just poo poo gold after a while.

I mostly agree about the added complexity of recruiting, my major complaint was it seems to want you to move armies around to build this perfect fighting force, moving from sector to sector. I found that process just ate up way too much loving time in my opinion, since you already have to wait so long for the dwarfs to get tech'd and built up to build those units in the first place. Getting the silver road maxed out wasn't too bad, but getting the other 3 provinces around it with the buff buildings in an attempt to build this perfect fighting force was loving tedious and awful, which drove me to make the mod in the first place.

Yeah, it does get tedious trying to use the new fun stuff in your main armies, especially as they get further from your home territory (this is one of the more fun parts about playing chaos imo, you can instantly recruit fun new stuff wherever you happen to be at the time). Global recruiting helps a little, but some units take FOREVER to build that way (like 6 turns for a black orc unit, ouch).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Goblin big boss agents are really amazing. Their blue line contains big bonuses to assassination, they are great at blowing holes in town walls, they can block enemy army movement, and they are very good at stopping other agents from succeeding. Most agents I've hired I've needed to dump some points into the blue line in less than optimal things, but that isn't the case with the goblin big boss. I sort of suspected it from my dwarf campaign and how often those jerks assassinated Thorgrim and company, but so far they might be my favorite offensive campaign agents.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Stanley Pain posted:

Re: The AI having crazy movement.

I've seen the AI move in from just about offscreen, attack + sack a town and then move off screen again. The other way the AI "cheats" is that is knows exactly the distance it needs to be not to get counter attacked.

I don't see how this is a cheat since it is something I do all the time (move to a city, sack it, and then move away). As for your second point, I think there should be a way to hover over an enemy army and 'see' their movement range on the campaign map. It is pretty funny that the AI can manage to stay just out of my range, I will get a +% campaign movement bonus from a magic item or something, and the next turn they will still be juuuust out of range.

If not an even better option might be just to tweak the AI to not have perfect knowledge of your armies movement range (so at times they waste movement going too far away, and at times you can still catch them).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rakthar posted:

This is reddit.txt stuff. What happens if you don't roll the 50% on that ambush and they move past you? You'll never be able to catch up to them. Is that your fault for not having the perfect defense of agents and garrisons ready for every opportunity even though you're limited on funds, armies, slots, and money for the first 50 turns?

Chasing armies around that can keep loving with you and you can't catch sucks. If this is the only way to make Chaos work, I propose finding another way.

Train agents to block armies. It makes it easy to catch them, and blocking generally has a higher success rate than assassination.

Also the AI blocks armies frequently and I think sometimes people just click through the agent news without noticing that one or more of their armies got blocked.

e:

Fangz posted:

You can click on any enemy unit or agent in the strategy layer and it overlays a red area showing their movement range. I'm not sure if this includes stances, it might just be normal movement.

Huh, how did I not notice this. Woops!

Kaza42 posted:

It actually does include stances, which makes it nearly useless. If they're in Encamp or Raid stance, their move bubble is drastically reduced even though they can swap out of that stance on their turn and march-murder you. I've tried exactly what you're describing and it doesn't always help

Doh!

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The main reasons I save scum in this game are misclicks and/or misunderstanding the rules, which happens often enough I generally save at the beginning of every turn (I dislike that auto-save happens on the end of a turn).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

A good rule of thumb for TW games is that all those animations are not just an abstraction of what is happening, attack animations, projectile physics and collisions are all something that matter a great deal. On a purely technical level, the TW battle engine is kind of nuts.

On another note, got around to doing some testing on Greenskin Archers finally.

Conclusions:

Gobbo Archers are hot garbage, their ranged damage on any target with an armor value greater than zero is pretty much irrelevant. Good against Zombies and Savage Orcs, terrible vs anything else.

Arrer Boyz are comparably solid, the key advantage for them is having actually quite high (5) AP damage, so they pack a solid punch against armored targets and definitely do the most damage over time of all greenskin archers. Being decent in melee is also a plus.

Night Gobbo Archers aren't any better at shooting than regular Gobbo's, but poison arrows, fanatics, and ninja-level stealth make them much better support units. It's still a trade-off vs Orc archers but they're definitely worth using.

I like having a unit or two of night goblin archers just to easily poison other units. I love fanatics but I wish there was a way to control when they get released because they rarely ever seem to hit the enemy for me.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fans posted:

Also Goblin Wolfriders and other light cav (Missile or otherwise) have a niche, in that they're good for chasing down and killing units that have broken. Broken units might reform and come back, but set the Wolfriders on them and they'll eventually Shatter and be gone for sure. This is the same niche than the Wolves in Undead Armies have and Pistoleers in Empire fill.

Since Undead don't break and they have no squishy missile units this makes light cav against them kinda pointless.

Wolf riders can also be a good way to cheese the enemy AI in single player. I'm currently playing a Hard Greenskin campaign and many times already I've danced my wolf riders behind enemy lines just enough to have multiple units of empire knights and crossbowmen chase me around the map. It takes a lot of microing though, but it works nicely because they are fast and have vanguard deployment.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mostly I use my ranged poison on good bad guy units (heroes, hammerers, etc) that are attacking crappy good guy units (goblins, orc boyz). Maybe I would be better off switching to night goblin swordsmen. I'm not sure, I have at least one army loaded with night goblin archers (like 4 units) which seems to do well, but perhaps I would be better off replacing most of them. I'm doing ok, but I'm still struggling a bit with greenskin army composition. I have at least one army loaded with black orcs and big 'uns, but I have a lot of trouble against ranged and cavalry heavy lineups with that army (though I recently recruited 4 doom divers for that army which will help).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

terrorist ambulance posted:

VC is really the easiest single player campaign right now - even on very hard, Mannfred just doesn't lose. You're free to just focus on economic buildings and run around with him, his varghulf, his growing vampire harem and some random chaff and you'll still crush whatever you end up against.

Mannfred vs Empire army

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've got like 4 doom divers and a rock lobber in my main stack and I think I want more. Doom Divers are just crazy good mostly due to their long range and great accuracy. They might not hit as hard as some other weapons, but they hit much more often.

I am a bit disappointed in the fanatic units. Even though they are still cheap they really aren't worth hiring and I think they are misplaced at being a mid to late game unit. The fanatics don't seem to do nearly enough damage, and since you have no control over when they are used it's hard to even notice them. I know you aren't supposed to be able to control them once they are released, but I would like to at least be able to control their release point. I would also like to see a few different orc troop types represented, since it seems weird that late game armies are pretty much required to be full of black orcs and big 'uns.

I've made good use of boar boys, but that is mostly because the dwarfs don't really have a counter. Also, I haven't exactly done extensive testing but the big 'un boar boyz don't seem to be much of an upgrade over the regular ones (who also have shields).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

William Bear posted:

Not in my experience. My main army by the end of my Greenskins campaign was:

1 Grimgor
3 Savage Boar Big'uns
2 Doom Divers
1 Rock Lobba
3 Orc Arrer Boyz
1 Giant
1 Arachnarok
1 Trolls
7 Black Orcs

It worked pretty well!

Yeah I didn't phrase that great, I meant that the actual orc line troops are all the same things (like your 7 black orcs). I think the variety of monsters and other stuff is pretty great, I just wish there were more (and better) orc troop options than just boyz, big uns, and black orcs. The fanatics are sort of entertaining but have no real place in a doomstack.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Frankly posted:

Yeah I treat Trolls as really big smashy shock cavalry with the staying power of goblins at the moment. They can absolutely wreck stuff if they can get into it from a flank and they are surprisingly fast, but they also kind of need to hang around their Lord for any extended fights. Definitely not line-breakers like Crypt Horrors can be by any means.

Are Chariots a lot weaker than Rome II? I've tried the Chaos and Goblin varieties but I'm struggling to find a niche for them in my armies. Gorebeasts seem to deal with getting bogged down by infantry with their big AOE knockdowns but I haven't tested them too much. I assume Boar chariots work like Boar boys in that they can deal some pretty devastating charges but are kinda prone to dying a lot otherwise. I really struggled to find a use for Goblin Chariots and Wolf Riders, I guess I need to treat them kind of like dog units - bring lots of them and stop expecting such cheap units to outperform my big hitters

e: ^^I've only really used Kemmler's starting wraiths but they seem good at taking on single enemy elite units or vanguard deployment shenanigans with the Hexwraiths. Cairn Wraiths seem to work pretty well in a siege tower. Whether either unit is actually better than another Grave Guard/Black Knight unit I don't really know though

If you don't mind a lot of micro, wolf riders are great at harassing the back lines of the enemy. I just had the AI peel off 3 units of dwarf warriors to chase down 1 wolf rider. They are probably only worth using very early in a real army, but you get a lot of practice with them anyway since they are a part of most settlement garrisons. They are also pretty fast so you can charge and disengage quite a few units. It doesn't do much damage but it can stop quarrelers from shooting for a while, and it can help push a unit into routing if you charge their back at the right time.

Likewise I think the bigger chariots are ok if you micro them a lot, but I don't really see a place for them in a really good army (well except for the gorebeast one which has a bugged really really low upkeep which makes it cheaper than a unit of marauders).

I like boar riders more than most, but only as a couple flanking units to support my black orcs and big uns. I think one problem is that people switch to big 'un boar boyz when they really don't have much better stats and they don't come with a shield so they get torn up by ranged units faster. I've been meaning to experiment with all varieties of boar boyz (including savage) but I haven't gotten around to it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm sure if there is money to be made CA will eventually release minor faction DLC.

So in my current greenskin campaign (on hard) I've just conquered all of the badlands, all of the orc and dwarfs to my south, and the main dwarf faction to the north (silver road or whatever). The big chaos push is happening now so I'm not quite sure if I want to go the Mt. Gunbad route and fight the dwarfs up there, or if I want to just raid the poo poo out of the VC and various human settlements. I'm a little concerned that the empire factions will start confederating soon (although they have shown no real signs of it yet). I think that's pretty much the only thing that would be able to slow me down. Any other greenskin leaders have ideas or advice on what to do next? I'm leaning towards dwarf extermination with a side of human/VC raiding (the Border Princes are pretty much my personal piggy bank).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

The Empire will absolutely start confederating once the major Chaos event happens. I only played on normal but my advice is to absolutely start attacking them now while they're distracted. The Dwarf holds will always be there but the opportunity bog down the Empire in a multi-front war is fleeting. Let Chaos deal with the Karak Kadrin and Zhufbar stunties while you go after bigger fish.

Yeah I think that's a good plan since I'm kind of sick of fighting dwarfs anyway. I think I've actually been kind of lucky so far in my game since it seems like pretty much everyone hates everyone else.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

Can chaos do anything with razed cities or do you just have to wait for your vassals to settle them again?

Pretty sure all you can do is wait for your vassals to settle them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does the Savages skill also apply to characters like Legendary Lords?

What skills are the best for Grimgor?

I don't think Savages applies to LLs since the skill says 'melee infantry units'.

My Grimgor is basically yellow out to Waaagh! (his weapon strength one is higher than most and very good). I chose the armor over the melee defense but otherwise maxed his offensive stats. In red I took the Savages skill and the later red skill that provides bonuses to black orcs and big 'uns (I didn't take the earlier one with the bonus to boyz and goblins since he'll be leading my doomstack which has no place for those anyway). In blue I only took the first skill (which every lord should take imo). I was debating between going red line for the black orc bonus or blue line for lightning strike, but in the end I felt like I was wasting too many points on blue prerequisites just to get it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kanos posted:

I'm convinced that alliances with the AI prior to the Chaos Invasion are a gigantic trap. Every single time I've cautiously allowed defensive alliances to cement my relationship with an important neighboring faction, it bites me in the rear end in a top hat. I had an Empire game going insanely well(Marienburg on turn 13, Ghal Maraz on turn 30, Middenland confederated to me when Bretonnia(my ally) declared war on them), and then got sucked into a loving forever war on my border because Bordeleaux(my other ally) randomly declared war on a previously-friendly-to-them Karak Hirn who I was also allied to. Because Bordeleaux had a full stack army sitting right next to one of my primary recruiting buildings in my backfield and nobody was close enough to reinforce, this forced me to choose between breaking alliance with Karak Hirn and having to raze them to the ground because dwarfs never forget diplomatic maluses, or breaking alliance with Bordeleaux and letting them blow up 40k gold and like 40 turns worth of recruiting building buildup.

So I guess I get to go murder some dwarfs.

You have to be especially careful with diplomacy when you are playing dwarfs, since you can get grudges for things that happen to your allies, which drags you into wars with more factions, which brings more grudges, etc. The grudge campaign mechanic really is one of my favorites.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Archonex posted:

He honestly makes Mannfred look tame once he gets his regeneration item. If you stack ward saves on top of that he literally cannot be killed. Doubly so if you get him a banner or item that inflicts terror.

At that point the only way you can lose a fight is through horrific attrition on the enemy's side or him routing. The former requires an army specced for attrition fights (Rare. Dwarves and undead are the most likely types.) and the latter is countered by the fact that Sigvald can get a ridiculous leadership level.

What's more, if you spend some time leveling up in the north before heading south you'll easily get his armor in the early game. He's also naturally much more durable than Kholek and can bypass sieges. I'd actually recommend him over Kholek if you are familiar with the Chaos early game.

I mean, you're right about Sigvald being super tough but in my experience Kholek is just as tough if you stack ward due to his + ward skill. He also has a huge starting HP pool which he can get an extra +30% in skills. I also prefer Kholek for my main army since he can just knock down doors by himself, and his built in fear and and terror along with his sweeping strikes make him much better at clearing out fodder.

I think they're both great, but I'd still say Kholek is the better starter since he can wipe out whole units in a few hits and Sigvald is trivial to unlock. The only real negative I have about Kholek is that his campaign wide bonuses are pretty lame.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

There are definitely some autoresolve bar bugs. I once had a battle with a pathetic greenskin garrison (it was like 3 units of goblins and 2 orc boyz) against a full dwarven army stack with a lord and it somehow was at like 30% for me.

e: and despite what the bar said, I was lucky to kill even a dozen dwarfs whether I played the match or hit autoresolve, so it seemed to be just a display error for the bar itself rather than a bug in the actual autoresolve calculation.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

Well, this is why I'm thinking to go down the coast instead of going into Nordland etc. Put the Empire between me and them.

Doing some sacking of Kislev early does work, FWIW. Maybe not Kislev itself, but lots of the northern settlements are poorly defended, and can be pushed over quickly (especially as Sigvald, since you don't have to siege).

I've noticed the AI has some tendencies to ignore NPCs at times and bee-line for your armies and cities. I think that's one reason that chaos often gets killed too quickly. In my current greenskin campaign most of their stacks just charged straight through to the badlands and only really attacked things that were on the way to me. By the time they got to me, they were damaged enough that I'm having no problem wiping them out (well, except that the game crashed last night right as I was winning a major battle against them... grrrr).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Decus posted:

That's an AI pattern factions spawn in with. There are avoid_player and anti_player behaviour modifiers designed to make certain factions go easy on the player at their starting position and others more likely to war them. If you turn off all of the avoid_player ones by changing their behavior profile to be the same as normal the game becomes harder and I imagine if you changed everything to have anti_player it'd be harder still.

Interesting. Honestly I think the intent may have been to make chaos more of a threat to me (the player), but the actual result is that I got attacked in piecemeal by 3 weakened chaos stacks (sarth, kholek, and arch) which I demolished in my backyard without much trouble.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Arrgytehpirate posted:

You guys make Greenskins sound so fun, but the one time I tried I just got absolutely poo poo on. Hell, even the loving AI makes Greenskins look fun when I got Grimgor'd on like turn 8.

They are fun but the beginning can be tricky.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chomp8645 posted:

Cool, I like figuring stuff like this out. Maybe I've underestimated the ability of minors to roll into a major power. Let me know if there were any usual circumstances like "Mousillon raged out of control and weakened Bretonnia a bunch" or something.

Yeah, things like that make the game far more fun and interesting for subsequent playthroughs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

Has anyone done an unit breakdown of the Chaos warriors, yet? I'm doing okay with marauders, chosen, forsaken and a bit of chaos spawn, but now I need to figure out what next to build. I can either go straight for giants, dragon ogres to unlock kholek, try out chaos knights, or go for hellcannons and pick up chariots along the way. Thoughts?

Giants are very expensive to field and maintain so I would save them for after you've covered more of your basics (for me they were the final piece I added as the cherry on top of my doom stacks). Don't get me wrong, they are great units, but they are a liability for auto-resolve and take forever to heal while encamping in enemy territory (so most everywhere but the north), so you have to be careful not to let them lead the charge. Dragon Ogres are quite good and possibly worth it just to unlock Kholek, but since I started with him and a unit of them I never bothered. Chaos knights are excellent cavalry and their buildings also give you bonus favor every turn so I typically pick them up pretty fast since fielding good cavalry is a fantastic strategic upgrade. Hellcannons are also excellent, and even though I like chaos knights better than gorebeast chariots the chariots are currently bugged with an absurdly low upkeep so they are actually pretty useful. Chariots require a lot of babysitting to be effective though.

So basically, I'd go with knights or hellcannons personally depending on your preference for cavalry or siege weapons. If you still can't decide, go with knights for the + favor every turn tiebreaker. After that I'd go for dragon ogres for Kholek over giants. Personally, I created a second army for hellcannons since when I go with siege I tend to want to go big (like 5-6 units) and only bothered with them on my main army when I had nothing else to build.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mans posted:

the spiky gits are getting a meltdown :allears:

:patriot: that is a proper greenskin relations status (unless the dwarfs are still alive for some reason in which case SHAME ON YOU).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been determined to finish my current greenskin campaign but it has become a real slog (currently at turn ~160 ish). I kill 3-4 chaos stacks (not Varg or Skaeling, but Chaos stacks led by Arch, Kholek, Sigvald, and some uber chaos sorceror), and every time about 10 turns afterwards they return with about 6 agents and make a bee-line for my territory through black fire pass (sacking the same VC cities en route which the dumbass VC keep resettling and never defending). Even though I have an alliance with the VC they seem content to just sit in their 4 territories with 3-4 armies and never actually do anything, and chaos never goes west to give the empire and human factions any trouble. I'm trying to eliminate the empire, but every time I extend myself and sack Altdorf (or Nuln, or whatever) I end up with 3-4 chaos doom stacks charging down through VC territory into my lands, pretty much ignoring everything but the 2-3 settlements that happen to be directly in their path. It doesn't help that the Empire has somehow moved itself to the west side of the map. Tilea is basically everywhere the Empire should be, and I see more Bretonnian stacks than I do Empire stacks.

The Empire may not realize it, but the Warriors of Chaos really are the best allies they could ever have. On one hand I don't really want to give up (I am by far the strongest faction) but on the other it has become a real slog and I'm itching to start a new campaign as Empire or VC. Also the Warrior of Chaos 'charge at the greenskin faction no matter what' strategy is getting old. For some reason I thought they would go away after a while, but even though I have gotten the 'chaos has been defeated' message or whatever they keep coming back in no time at all (just not with Sarth).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jun 20, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

NT Plus posted:

My Greenskin campaign got pretty silly. I decimated the Dwarfs and allowed the southern Savage Orcs to thrive. But they're kind of my buddies who ask for an occasional handout now so it's whatever (until Bretonnia murders / gets murdered by them). I'm pretty much at a stalemate with the Vampos while trying to fend off Chaos forces in my northern region. I'm honestly kind of uneasy about the Top Knotz deciding they don't need me anymore because they have several stacks on the loose and I have no idea how to build effective orc armies .. Even though I have basically every unit unlocked. :v:

My basic orc army is currently something like 1 shaman, 3-4 black orcs, 3-4 big 'uns, 2 boar units, 3 siege weapons (mostly rock lobbers since they are cheap), 1-2 arachnorok and/or giant, and the rest filled out with random stuff, of which I have been favoring spider rider archers and trolls lately. If it's just a mop-up army that I plan on using auto-resolve a lot I replace the monsters with more troops (big 'uns, arrer boys, etc). This is my sort of generic 'decent at everything' army. If I am fighting VC I tend to add more ranged units and for dwarfs I add more cavalry / harassment troops and/or siege. I also usually have at least 1 unit of spider rider archers.

My Grimgor doomstack is like 5 doom divers, 2 catapults, a giant, an arachnarok, a shaman, 6 black orcs, 2 big 'uns, and 2 savage orc big'un boar boyz.

I play around with them a lot and make gimmick armies (loads of cavalry, all savage, tons of goblins, etc) but these armies seem to be able to handle most anything thrown at them on hard difficulty. The main core of every army is a block of black orcs since they are an incredible jump in leadership from big 'uns.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Chomp8645 posted:

It's funny because as a player Greenskins you are stuck at like two total agents basically until the End Times.

In my greenskin campaign I made an effort to be sure I could hire a bunch of Goblin Big Bosses early. The swarm of them basically annoy my enemies like the AI used to do to me when I played dwarfs. They are good at assassinating, blocking, breaking walls, stopping enemy agents, and clearing corruption. I don't think the shaman agents are nearly as useful, though I like them better as embedded heroes in an army. I think the greenskins really should have an 'orc boss' type of hero too.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

It's a little odd but right now Empire and Vampires are the only races with a full "set" of agents. Assassin, Wizard, Warrior, Priest.

Orcs don't have Priests or Warriors

Chaos doesn't have Priests or Assassins.

Dwarves don't have poo poo. Well ok, they have Warriors and two weird hybrid agents with the Engineer and Runesmith, but seriously they're the worst at agent poo poo.

Yeah, the empire is really spoiled for agent choices compared to the other factions.

Greenskins, dwarfs, and chaos each have 3 agent choices, but somehow the Empire gets like 6.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Is there any confirmed way to tell if you have the raise dead bug early in the game? I did a few battles and took Templehof or whatever but the counter still said 1.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm kind of anti-mod in that I think a lot of them make the game too easy, but I think I'm going to give the public order mod a try. I don't like that it basically isn't really an issue for the AI since it takes away some strategic options and makes certain agents pretty lame.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone else hate having fun? Because if so, have I got the battle for YOU!

The 2nd army there was 80% pistoliers.

I would actually like to play this one out. If you are lucky you could vanguard deploy all your NG archers and spider riders close enough to the artillery to totally wreck them before they could do much of anything. The knights would be a bit of a problem, but one unit of spider riders should be able to tie them up (poison slows so they should be able to keep your distance). Another option is just to hide them off to the side, hide your main army, and charge the siege behind the enemy lines.

Another tactic that might work is to hide your entire army behind a hill or something. I once had an artillery heavy dwarf army march their siege all the way across the map and on top of the hill I was hiding behind, at which point they were in easy charge range of my infantry.

Spider riders are really fun units that are pretty great at exploiting the AI.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

How do you guys deal with attrition on foreign soil as VC? I'm used to being able to roam enemy lands for long campaigns of conquest, encamping when I need to replenish, but as far as I can tell VC can only replenish in friendly territory. This makes harassing the Dwarfs and Greenskins kind of a nightmare. I can raid all the way to their settlements but eventually I'm going to need to heal my units. Are you expected to make up for the heavy attrition with raise dead? A couple skeletons and zombies per turn isn't really a good replacement for Grave Guards and Vargheists...

I'm finding it tough to get used to the VC style after playing the Greenskins. It's not as easy to just march around murdering people everywhere.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I think trolls are a little under powered for their cost and ridiculously terrible leadership currently. As it is now, as long as my army has a couple of siege weapons I almost never have to fight an enemy troll unit as long as I remember to target them first.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Ice Fist posted:

Trolls are great when you stick them next to Grimgor. They then, I assume, become more afraid of Grimgor killing them for running than they are of dying to the enemy.

Anything next to Grimgor is awesome, but yeah putting them next to the general at least makes them not immediately run away. Still, I mostly just include them now and then because they look cool and I like variety. IMO they are one of the worst 'bang for your buck' greenskin (and chaos) units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ZearothK posted:

Does the number of Chaos stacks during the final phase vary depending on your faction? In my first game as Empire (Chaos) I had to take out three waves of Chaos armies once Archaon showed up, but in my Vampire Counts (Very Hard) I only killed Archaon once, when I was expecting more waves than the previous game due to difficulty. What gives? Was I just fortunate enough to kill every single Chaos army before they respawned, triggering the death of the faction?

Yeah I noticed the same thing in my orc campaign. I beat Arch and he kept showing up a few times until finally they disappeared. I'm not sure if it is a set number of waves, or if you need to eliminate every chaos stack before Arch heals and takes over for a generic lord.

• Locked thread