Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kaza42 posted:

Bit of both, from what I can tell. If, at any time after Archaon's rampage begins, the Warriors of Chaos have no hordes remaining they will be defeated and no more will spawn. However, if any hordes remain then they will continue to spawn in waves depending on your difficulty level. My source is this mod, which adjusts how many waves come.

I would like a combination of this mod + a mod that randomizes what chaos does and makes it so it doesn't necessarily beeline for the player everytime. In my last campaign the hordes took the same path each time which made for a boring invasion wherein I killed their armies in basically the same place in the same exact fashion over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Perestroika posted:

Is swear to Gork, this loving goblin boss failed his 50/50 Block Army attempt literally seven turns in a row now, allowing a single goddamn Border Princes army to gallivant through my lands sacking all my towns. :orks:

My goblin bosses fail nearly every first attempt when they have 70% odds. It's actually pretty remarkable.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Josef bugman posted:

I only realised relatively recently that you can't actually build any of the fortress upgrades in Karaz a Karak because then you would have too many units.

I don't think I am going to be able to play on Very Hard or better, even with Dwarves it is super hard to do well I find.

Every starting capital is like that. They basically have the fortress upgrade added in.

e: And even though the game lists the dwarfs starting position as easy I don't necessarily think they are the easiest faction to play.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 24, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dwarf start can be tough if you get unlucky and have to deal with Grimgor and a Waaagh right away.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

You can actually move 75% and encamp as Chaos. 50% is for raid stance, which generally isn't worth it.

It is also viable to bypass baersonling's camp entirely and just attack Kislev, so as to build a relationship with Varg early. You might want to delay your second horde if you do this though - money will be very tight. Sigvald is advised for this.

Your first horde should probably be a spellcaster. Death sorcerer is especially recommended - spirit leach wins battles for you.

I'd say that initially you should aim for one stack with the chaos warrior line, and one stack with the forsaken line. This gives you a hammer and an anvil, and access to all your agents. Start spamming agent actions every turn. The blue line of agent skills are really important to you.

Yeah, sorcerers blocking armies is pretty great for playing chaos. Eventually you will want every horde to have the forsaken line because of the large + corruption boost it gives.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Josef bugman posted:

See what is everyones opinion on Ungrim Iron Fist, because I basically found that he can hold up an entire flank of enemy troops on his own.

I think he's great in a fight but his campaign bonus is lame if he's your starting lord (also no grudge thrower to start with).

Ammanas posted:

The 'no chaos invasion' mod is a must try. I'm actually having interesting battles against a variety of opponents in my campaign for a change.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a mod to randomize where the chaos invasion originates?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Savage Orc armies generally also have a lot of boar riders (which are pretty good), so be sure to bring some anti cavalry units.

And yeah, since they have no armor or shields units like goblin archers are actually very effective against them.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How much can you trust vassals that hate you though? I have this fear that the moment I march an army off to do something my vassal is going to stab me in the back.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Triskelli posted:

Nah the tech you need as Uruks is "Lords of the Lash", which gives you a huge boost to unit leadership. It doesn't seem like much, but where there's a whip there's a way.

:golfclap:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

It's pretty impressive that this game is still on the first page of Steams 'Top Seller' list, especially considering it's the only game on there with no discount.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Wafflecopper posted:

Bring more archers, yours beat theirs.

Yeah, you should have a lot of quarrelers who will demolish the orc archers in a shoot off.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have an issue where Steam always says the game is running even when it's not? It's the only game in my library that does this. I have to close Steam on the task manager to play every time.

Is the CA launcher still running?

I know somebody who had this happen with Xcom. I think he fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling, but I can't remember. From what I recall it's a relatively common Steam bug.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Loving these patch notes, though I expected more slayer buffs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

They also made dogs faster so kiting should be less of an issue.

OTOH, they nerfed Goblin Archers and Spider Riders for completely inexplicable reasons.

Yeah this is a little puzzling. I mean, goblin archers could do quite a bit of damage vs unarmored opponents due mostly to their large unit size, but I can't remember a situation where I thought they were in any way overpowered. I'm very disappointed about the nerf to spider riders, since I think they had a good niche in the greenskin army.

Also, fanatics need to be buffed in a big way. I've seen them smash through ranks of infantry without really inflicting any casualties. Currently they are pretty much just a gimmick that you need a T4 building to recruit for some reason. I think if they are going to leave fanatics alone they should get rid of the non-fanatic NG units, move the fanatic ones down to where they used to be (T2), and come up with another variety of black orcs (maybe with shields) for the T4 building.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rygar201 posted:

Don't forget that individual mans have HP. So when that block of nerds gets hit by your big ol' Hellcannon/Cannon/Spell/Fanatic damage is being done but individual dudes you think should be dead will get back up. That unit still has less aggregate HP though, and fewer dudes will get us after subsequent attacks and the unit will die faster in melee.

Yeah, but I still think fanatics are super weak compared to how they should be, especially considering all of their disadvantages (like how you can't control when they release or which direction they will go, how close you have to be to use them, and the fact that to use them you have to take units of goblins over lots of better options).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbuaDRAml0w

Russians found the blood and gore trailer we'll probably get tomorrow.

Wow

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Necroskowitz posted:

It looks like the meta has finally caught up and there's finally a viable dwarf strategy for online battles.

All this video needs is a giant choral rendition of 'Ode to Joy' while the blasting charges go off everywhere.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

madmac posted:

Blood DLC is now up for purchase on Steam

$3 for those who don't feel like checking.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm curious if the blood animations will have any effect on the effectiveness of units due to animation lock (particularly large units like the giant).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mans posted:

poo poo just gibs like soldier of fortune, it's childishly incredible hahahaha

No kidding. I had a unit of black orcs facing off against a unit of longbeards for a while and they were all completely covered in blood from head to toe.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Panfilo posted:

Any tips for a dwarf legendary campaign? I've been having an interesting time so far, controlling the Silver Road and did that first quest.

Gringor, his WAAGH, and a rebellion happened at the same time but I was lucky and he's stupid enough to attack my capital. Since he has a doom diver he can attack it immediately but I'm at a huge advantage because a third of his army is cavalry. So Thorgrim kills him, then after that battle is over he chases the remnant stack and wipes it out. Then he had enough movement to kill the waagh as well, and after that took care of the rebels, all in one turn! I was feeling good at this point, so after recovered sacked the settlement to the south for a sweet 5000 gold.

Only problem is Zhufbar has already gotten wiped out and the game crashed before i had to leave for work, do im worried the save is bad; I had outdated mods enabled but figured it would crash when loading the game not reaching some arbitrary point.

I've heard a strategy involving turtling in Silver Road most of the game and only start confederating during Chaos invasion. This means far less settlements to defend, and more of my money concentrated on upgrading them.

I haven't played on legendary, but I would think getting Gunbad and making friends with the dwarfs to the north would be good too. Gunbad is just too good of a piggy bank to pass up with the brightstone mine and gold mine.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

John Charity Spring posted:

Gunbad for the mine and Barak Var for the port and therefore trade access with factions like the Empire. Other expansion optional.

I'm currently working on BV on my dwarf 'hard' campaign, but Grimgor keeps confederating orcs and somehow has like 3 armies running around together curbstomping everything even though I completely wiped out his original army like 5 turns ago.

Also, how can I tell if my mod is still working? The only mod I am currently using is the 'no public order bonus for AI' mod. In general I don't like mods that make the game easier for me, but I think it hurts the campaign gameplay to have the AI be effective immune to public order effects. It makes some agents useless, rebellions happen less often, and neuters the effects of corruption.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Oh god I just bought this am I going to turn into one of those "grognards" now?

Anything I should know before diving in that isnt' covered in the OP? Are the DLC's pure gravy or do they add significant gameplay elements that would make them worth purchasing right off?

The gore DLC is mostly cosmetic with a few extra events. Not really necessary but kind of fun to see the animations. The Chaos Warriors are a fun additional faction, but the base game comes with 4 great factions anyway so you can just pick it up when you get bored of the ones that are included.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So make sure you check your settlement buildings after the greenskins sack them. Grimgor took out one of my settlements and left a troll head sculpture that was made of poo (-50% income for the province, -5 public order).

e: One more reason why Grimgor is da best.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I also like using artillery on troll units since you can often route them before they even get to your line.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Furnaceface posted:

Are slayers good yet?

Not really. I mean, they have some uses, but I think they are still overpriced and too hard to get (T4 and 10000 gold building) for how situational they are.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

fargom posted:

I've just started doing tier 2 garrisons in all my dwarf buildings. gently caress nothing can break a dwarf hold, gently caress off Grimgor.

It's also comically easy to take fully garrisoned walls with dwarfs while taking hardly any casualties due to bad enemy siege AI.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

fargom posted:

Not sure I'm really pro level at this yet, whats the best way to do it? I've just been sending 2 or 4 siege towers, and a lord or miners at the gate. With Crossbows following up and shooting everything off the walls. After that I usually push forward and get my crossbows on the walls facing inward.

I could post a replay of a battle I did recently (took Black Crag playing on Hard), but I don't really have a good place to host it.

Thats the idea. Basic army idea is 3-4 grudge throwers (or cannons later on), 6 or more quarrelers (thunderers are ok too), and a bunch of warriors/longbeards/whatever. You hug one of the borders so that your army can only be shot at by one tower. I generally put a row of warriors in the front followed by a two deep row of my 6 quarrelers. You slowly march up the side while your artillery blows up the tower and then have them switch to the door (alternately shoot at guys on the walls and break down the door later with miners, up to you). You then basically stop your entire army in quarreler range of the walls and sit back and watch for a few minutes. The AI will perform a keystone cops routine with units constantly moving up the wall into the line of fire, getting demolished, and then retreating away. Once your army is out of ammo you just charge in and mop up. Usually the only thing left at that point is AI artillery, a few cavalry units, and maybe a monster unit (greenskin AI often likes to keep trolls back, but then they just retreat nearly instantly at the end of the battle so it's not very effective).

I actually won a siege this way without even going through the gate once.

e: Having a runesmith is great too as they can just stand at the base of the wall and cast that damage rune over and over. Also, once the gate is down the AI will usually have a unit waiting on the other side. You can move a runesmith on the other side and just rune them to death. Runesmiths are underrated in general imo. Dwarf heroes are terrible at assassinating but they are very good embedded in armies. Also having an engineer and/or a lord specced for missile units will make this even better.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 6, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nanomashoes posted:

So if I'm playing as Chaos, what loving reason do I have to go around awakening northern tribes? Because if I awaken them they break my alliance to go to war with each other. If I re-invade them and vassalize them, they'll break the vassalage... to go to war with each other. That's the only reason I can think of for them to break it, given that they're deep in the green and much weaker than me, and all they do after breaking treaties is fight each other. What's the loving point, other than unlocking Siegvald?

You can also subjugate them the turn after they awaken, in which case they shouldn't attack each other.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Giants have a ton of HP but pretty low armor. It's one of the reasons you rarely want to lead your charge with giants in your greenskin army.

e:

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gejnor, would you mind submitting a replay? Greenskin infantry is quite strong in my experience, and what you're saying doesn't correlate at all with my experience.

Yeah I would like to see this too. Black orcs have some issues (expense, 3 turn recruit time) but they have high armor, decent armor piercing damage, and really high leadership value so mine always do very well against dwarfs. They are vulnerable to some ranged but should be very good once stuck in with the rest. I've spent a lot of time playing the greenskins in campaign mode so maybe I'll try to make an effort post with my thoughts about the units.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 6, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Brasseye posted:

Does anyone have some advice for late game Orc army composition? I finally conquered the whole badlands and silver road by turn 85 and am in the process of moving Orcs north to save the world from Chaos who are starting to get a little out of control. Everyone is making a pit stop to recruit new units and so far my 2 fully upgraded stacks look roughly like this:

8 black orcs
3-4 big uns
2 fanatic archers
2 giant spiders
2 giants
1 unit of trolls
1-2 doom divers

Will these do ok against late game Chaos stuff? I probably have enough income now to get another 2 or 3 stacks too.

I think it's a bit overkill on the huge monsters (I usually just have 1 giant and 1 giant spider), but if you have the money it sure can't hurt. I also like having more artillery since the catapults get really good with some of the later tech advancements and have higher AP than the doom divers. 3-4 artillery pieces can do a lot of damage to the chaos armies that are pretty much forced to approach you.

I also think it's a bit of overkill on the line infantry, but if that's what you like it should work. I'd probably replace the fanatics with forest goblin spider rider archers and maybe replace some of your infantry with a unit or two of boar boyz (I like savage orc big 'uns myself).

Also try to squeeze a shaman hero into the mix. They have some really amazing buffs and debuffs that can really help turn the tide of a fight (particularly the AP related ones against chosen and chaos warriors).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Seems like you are ready for a difficulty jump!

A good empire or VC campaign is next on my list after I dominate the world with dwarfs. I'm currently on turn 80 or so and I've wiped out the greenskins, so the only real southern threat left is the savage orcs. In this campaign my dwarf bros showed up in a big way and have helped me dominate the south. The northern dwarfs with the red icon (can't remember their name) had annoying somehow managed to take a single settlement in most of my provinces, but for some reason in one turn they went from 'hell no we won't confederate' to 'you complete us, please confederate with us', seemingly all because some rebels took over an inconsequential settlement of theirs (Grom's Peak).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kainser posted:

So assuming that all factions are going to get a third legendary lord eventually; who are the likely choices for Greenskins/Empire/Dwarves (seeing as Vampires already has been discussed)

Greenskins I'm hoping for Skarsnik. We definitely need a goblin LL.

Though really they should add squigs first.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Diplomacy seems to be acting strangely in my current dwarf campaign. Almost all factions are much more likely to accept alliances than they are to accept non-aggression pacts.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

The Lone Badger posted:

Could it have been army losses? Had you already lost a bunch of other units?

\/ Are they hard-pressed by enemies? They might be allying in the hope you'll help them out.

Basically every human and dwarf faction that I had NAPs with told me to gently caress off about 2 turns before the big chaos invasion (even though I was on neutral at worse ratings with them). I started feeding money to the empire and border princes so I could deal with the savage orcs and noticed that eventually both were 'yellow' for trade agreements and every form of alliance, but still 'red' for NAP. I had to keep feeding them money and eventually they signed the NAP when it was 'yellow' (and the rest were green). The empire actually accepted a trade agreement on a turn and then rejected a NAP.

A few turns later I decided to take advantage of the 'shield of humanity' buff and sign some more deals with the other human and dwarf factions and they were all the same way. Some of them are hard pressed by enemies (chaos is rocking the empire), but a few of them don't appear to be under attack from anyone. It almost appears as if my game is set for NAPs to be harder to sign than alliances for everyone.

Most of these factions I've had little to no contact with besides maybe running a hero by one of their armies for a quest.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TheChad posted:

IIRC the patch notes said that the AI would accept alliances easier, I guess they forgot to lower the requirements for NAP's as well.

That would make a lot of sense. Has anyone else noticed this?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ChickenWing posted:

I just need more of my goddamn settlements to max out so I can start playing with giants and arachnaroks already

Just remember you have to research the proper tech before you can recruit arachnaroks or doom divers. I found that out the hard way during my greenskin campaign.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I'm unclear, is a Bretonnia campaign going to be free DLC or was Bretonnia in multiplayer the free DLC?

They are adding a 'free playable race' eventually as part of the free update content (just like the blood knights) and I think everyone is just assuming it's the Bretonnians since they are mostly done and in the game already (unless I missed an announcement, which is quite possible).

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 11, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Sole Survivor posted:

Markus as the next Empire LL would make sense, but I hope we see more than 3 LLs per faction. Kurt Helborg, Volkmar the Grim, Luthor Huss and maybe Ludwig Schwarzhelm would all be pretty awesome to see for the Empire, and should all play pretty differently.

I can't imagine they'll stop at 3 per faction if people keep buying them. Besides, they've said the next greenskin LL is an orc shaman and you just know they're going to add a goblin LL sooner or later. It would be nice to at least see 3 'free' LLs per faction, but the FLC schedule looks like it only has a VC and a greenskin LL on it leaving the empire and dwarfs behind.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

One fun thing you can do as greenskins against dwarfs is artillery the poo poo out of them with catapults (and later, doom divers) and make them come to you. Also, cavalry to charge into their flanks is a must and is a case when regular boar boyz may be the superior option since they have shields. Either way, you shouldn't let them get shot at for long. Try to get their warriors mixed in the goblins and boyz while your boar riders hit the quarrelers and grudge throwers over and over.

Early on you can cause a lot of trouble with wolf riders. Sometimes the AI will break off a couple of units to deal with you if you dance just outside of their range. They aren't great to add to your 'real' army but since a lot of garrisons have them you may as well make them useful. You can also charge them in and out of quarrelers to keep them occupied and do a little bit of damage.

The key is to avoid the warriors and hit the quarrelers, since the warriors don't do much damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Flavahbeast posted:

does the warhammer fantasy timeline really go back 20000 years or is thorgrim confused here

Are you calling Thorgrim a liar? Sounds like a grudgin' to me.

• Locked thread