Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Very nice. A vamp faction leader who's not Manny is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Skarsnik campaign is probably the most fun start in the game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
1. Because you can just start being a pain in everyone's rear end from turn 1

2. You're a Greenskin army that doesn't have to slog through the Wastes unless you want to

3. You can cross off "deal with Skarnik before he becomes a dick" instantly because you are Skarsnik

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The thing about the Eight Peaks malus is that it means gently caress all to Skarsnik but is absolutely crippling to Belegar. They really didn't make those campaigns equally fun. It feels like you're actively punished for picking Belegar while Skarsnik can safely ignore his objective the whole game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

dead comedy forums posted:

I am having a certain level of trouble hammering thorgrim as grimgor at the start, any protips for current version greenskins? I think "murdering the poo poo out of the stunties asap" isn't viable anymore, or it is a classic case of needing to gitgud :smith:

(I am using Green Iz Best btw)

Tried the "two armies two Waaagh's autoresolve siege" method? Always seemed like the most practical way, though not terribly honorable. You're Orks though so gently caress honor.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

thebardyspoon posted:

My dwarf game is going pretty well, it might be going slow but I haven't been completely smashed in my home province and that seems unlikely now. I have a lot of grudges to settle and apparently the longbeards are very angry, is that going to have really bad effects if I let it fester? Right now it's just -2 to public order and like -20 rep I think and the bar is pretty much filled so it looks like it can't get worse.

Thanks for the advice whoever gave it, I just needed a gentler start to learn the economy/pace of the game really and playing as Dwarves definitely eased me in.

Nah, the grudge system sucks and ain't no one got time to handle each one as they're received - it's why I just settled for the short victory when I played Dwarfs.

Despite having so many grudges I don't remember having many issues with other Dwarfs and my settlements were stable, so emptying the Book of Grudges is really more trouble than it's worth.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

littleorv posted:

What are my opening moves as Wood Elves in the Grand Campaign?

Go kill Skarsnik and Karak Norn.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Should have been a level-locked skill like most lords' mounts - pair him with Kemmler like Skarsnik and Gobbla and turn Kemmler into a surprising melee powerhouse.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

verbal enema posted:

All DLC on sale 33% off until Monday.

I have all DLC minus Beastmen, Welvels, and Dorky Chaos.

What is this horde mechanic the beastmen use?

Love Beastmen. Unlike Chaos they can...

A) Ambush
B) Loot & Raze in a single action
C) Bunch up their hordes since there's no attrition for being close together

Plus their units are some of the most fun in the entire game, especially Minotaurs.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
At the end of the day Kemmler is still disappointing, so i guess nothing of value was lost.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Might start up a Bret campaign some time this weekend, having never tried them since release. What should my priorities be? Who's your favorite LL?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

I like playing as Chaos. More than beastmen.

:stare:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yup Chaos more than any campaign is an auto-resolve fest. It just wasn't fun for me after a while but I appreciate that some folks like it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Eventually you'll want to phase them all out with skulkers.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Honestly they cost too much for their niche, which they're not even terribly good at.

Is what I would say if I didn't mod them to be awesome.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ragingsheep posted:

How do I play the main campaign as Orion? You only have 1 province and no good way to make money or expand.

Go slaughter Skarsnik and Karak Norn.

I'm honestly not a fan of the welfs. Some neat ideas there, not all of them translated to being fun.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Playing Couronne and not sure what to do next. I've weathered the 20 turns of Orc incursions , focused on growing my starting province and diplomatic options.

I'm stuck with one stack of 17 units and can't get an army strong enough to take Mousillon or Marienburg without going way over my peasant limit. Do you basically have to say gently caress it for a while until you get more cities?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mans posted:

which beastmen leader is the best to start with? they all look like random goats to me.

Khazrak isn't my favorite Beast LL (or my second) but he comes with Minotaurs and, unless this has been patched, his recruitment is required to finish their campaign, so starting with him will save you some trouble. I remember that part being a chore, and the others are a lot easier to recruit.

Malagor is canonically the cooler LL.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
That giant always gets a unique name from me and stays with me the whole campaign.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

Sometimes people choose units because it fits a motif rather than something being the "best. "

This is how I outfit 100% of my armies, tabletop included.

Props to factions like Crooked Moon that actually encourage themed playstyles.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would recommend a new player experience vanilla for a few games so they actually know what any of these massive overhauls are changing. I'm 250 hours in and I've only got a few mods plugged in to deal with very specific issues.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jastiger posted:

Is there an easier way to deal with these stuipd agents? They just follow my army around and harass me. Why can't I turn around and splat em?

In the dwarf campaign is there an easy way to get alllllll the wayyy to the NE and NW to capture those lone stupid settlemetns? Or do I have to walk all the way over there over 50 turns to maybe cap them?

I like Less OP Agents for dealing with agents.

Keeps them in the game, keeps them relevant, but reduces the effectiveness of the agent spam the AI likes to pull. It extends the duration of an army's on guard buff following a successful action against them, and also debuffs agents who performed a successful action. You're still gonna get assaulted and assassinated but not on literally every turn.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The Wood Elf mini-campaign required a few restarts for me. Ultimately the key to a good start was to spam diplomacy with those who are receptive, expand into the southeast corner of the map, and seriously limit the amount of military alliances you form (especially with rowdy Argwylon) if you don't want to get pulled into a million different wars at once. The tree as a battlefield gives defenders a distinct advantage, so every time a Beast stack beelines for it just stack an army or two next to it and they'll brainlessly kill themselves on it. If you focus on the diplomacy techs you should never have to fight the Bretonnian factions.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
He is a viking covered in skulls. It really depends on what flavor of :black101: you're looking for.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Go for their archers first, if you fire on their melee units you'll risk hitting your own. They're also squishier and won't be shielded. Hold down their melee units with yours and charge the backs of the enemy with cavalry.

The toughest part of the Wood Elf campaign for me was balancing amber usage until I just modded it to make it a lot more forgiving.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah Orion is a nerd, Derthu is the definitive Wood Elf Lord. They may as well be the tree man faction.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't play MP but I slow-mo instead of pause strictly for cinematic effect.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wow, just heard the news about the revamping of the base LL's in the latest patch. I might have to drop my Bretonnian playthrough for one of them. Chaos finally sounds...playable?

jokes posted:

Why do people like nazis? I thought they were reviled and also dead..? Like, what appeals do they have that people want to have a fantasy nazi army.

Nazis are fascinating because they're a particular strain of evil that combined aesthetic and a weird spiritual mythos - like if you idolize them you're 100% a piece of poo poo but i get looking at something like that with a sense of awe, same as you would a Dark Eldar army for example. Not that it excuses neo-nazis in any way. You should look at nazis as you'd look at a particularly deadly spider pinned to a board, as in it's dead but imagine if it wasn't.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm generally willing to give old guys who model period-specific German tanks and aircraft a pass because that's a specific design philosophy not really present among the allies and I can imagine that having a specific, subjective appeal. There's really no excuse for slapping a swastika on a poor Reiklander just trying to stop an Ork from burning his farm and eating his family, though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Skinwolves give me huge Minotaur vibes at a glance. Are they equivalent? I haven't had a chance to play yet, just started a campaign and checked my starting roster.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

The whole 'fighting big monsters for sweet loot and recruitment' makes me hope that in the future Ungrim gets a unique start that is somewhat similar in that he can take on various monsters and get permanent bonuses to himself+Slayers upon victory. It can also set up an interesting rivalry where you have these two guys of very different factions with uncannily similar goals (murder the biggest, baddest monsters around).

The fact that they retroactively gave Vlad an alternate start but not Ungrim is a headscratcher. Is there a fluff-based reason why he doesn't start in Karak Kadrin?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Are you guys raiding south or consolidating the north as Norsca? I tried the former and currently all my settlements are wiped while I was away.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Incidentally, last night I beat Skaeling's lord in a battle, for the tutorial pop-up that said he's ripe for confederation now, but when I checked I still couldn't sue for peace. I had to have another go and entirely wipe out his army before he'd let me end the war between us and then confederate, so maybe that's what the guy encountered.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

Might be a stupid question, but did you end turn before checking if the peace option was green?

I don't think so, I think I attacked and won, he retreated, then I pursued and wiped his army for peace to become possible all in one turn.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

dead comedy forums posted:

So my good goons, norsca + update is a solid legit on fire hit and I can preorder the 2nd game to enjoy hot viking action this weekend?

Probably the 2nd coolest DLC faction after Beastmen.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i dont like starting with 2 hordes as beastmen, its annoying managing that crap early on when you have no money

Disband all the lord's troops and have him tag along on your main horde's adventures - you'll be happy for all the growth later. Beastmen are always rolling in dough.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
If you think vanilla is garbage, as opposed to say "I played 200+ hours of vanilla and got burned out", I can't imagine any amount of modding will really fix that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mean it's a sequel - if the new factions didn't make the old ones seem bland by comparison I'd be disappointed.

That said hopefully they get thrown a bone when they're integrated into the grand campaign.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

I haven't played the Beastmen yet, but I do know they're all about the charge. So is it to your benefit to try cycle-charging even your frontline of infantry, or does the lost DPS/extra casualties make it not worth the micro?

Once your bulls mop up the pinned down enemies you probably won't even have time to cycle charge the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the grudge mechanic stacks up way too fast for me any time i play as dwarves. a greenskin army comes in to the very edge of my territory, raids for a turn, then marches away and I have no hope of catching them. its like death by a thousand cuts.

When I played as them I basically just acclimated to the fact that having close to max grudges was the norm and that having anything less than that was a bonus.

• Locked thread