Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Truecon420 posted:

I'm aware of the -50% upkeep penalty, but look at my screenshot, there are two separate penalties listed. Here is the first normal one. If you read the flavor text in my first screenshot it seems like a separate penalty, and it implies that I have already captured it. Why would they list it twice with different flavor text, and why wouldn't it say on the faction select screen that your faction has -5 public order as it does with the -50% upkeep?

Oh whoops yeah I'm blind. That's a bug, it's not supposed to show up twice at the beginning of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Stephen9001 posted:

What, the Vampire agents and Damsels of Bretonnia don't count?

No named characters/female legendary lords though!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Beastmen are even more Chaosy than Chaos because they were born into it rather than converting.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Coming in february. Full text:

quote:

We are thrilled to announce that in February 2017 we will be releasing a new edition of Total War: WARHAMMER with selected high street retailers. The big news is that it comes with a new playable race – Bretonnia. Why should you care if you already own Total War: WARHAMMER? Because you can download the Bretonnia Race Pack for free then too!
A contrast of lowly peasant masses and proud knightly orders, the feudal kingdom of Bretonnia features a host of powerful units and is lead into battle by a choice of three playable Legendary Lords; King Louen Leoncoeur, Alberic of Bordeleaux and the Fay Enchantress. More details about this iconic Warhammer Fantasy Battles Race will be revealed in the new year.
We’ve answered some of the most likely questions below.
1) What’s in the Total War: WARHAMMER – Old World Edition?
It is the original game, plus the Bretonnia Race Pack and an exclusive novella, ‘The Prince of Altdorf’ by Total War Writer Andy Hall.
2) Does it come with all the DLC? Is it a GoTY or Gold version?
No, it’s the original game and the Bretonnia Race Pack, and all the free-LC we’ve released to date of course. There are no plans to release a Gold or GoTY version of the game currently.
3) Why are you releasing this Edition?
It’s a great opportunity to mark the inclusion of a great and iconic Warhammer Fantasy Battles race, and a great point for anyone who hasn’t dived into the Total War: WARHAMMER game yet to get on board.
4) What will existing players get?
If you already own Total War: WARHAMMER, your game will be updated, and you will see the Bretonnia Race Pack available for free download in the Steam store. However, ‘The Prince of Altdorf’ novella is only available with physical copies of the game.
5) You said Bretonnia was coming this year, why is it delayed till February?
As we mentioned at the time, our free content plan is subject to change, and we took the opportunity of repackaging the game to add in more content for Bretonnia, with additional units and a third Legendary Lord for example.
6) Is anymore DLC coming for Total War: WARHAMMER?
Yes, our next major DLC expansion, and the next Free-LC is due before Christmas. It is growing now, there will be more news soon.
7) Will there be any more Free-LC after Bretonnia?
Yes, checkout our latest Free Content schedule for a hint: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_WARHAMMER_Future_Content_Blog#Free-LC

peer
Jan 17, 2004

brocretin posted:

I am perfectly content to wait for extra Bretonnia content, tbh. That art confirms the Green Knight, too!

It even confirms the Green Knight as a not-LL :toot:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

brocretin posted:

Someone on Reddit was also pointing out that the Green Knight might be a campaign mechanic for Bretonnia.

Or if they're lazy he'll just be a spell summon

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Wow that's a good trailer

edit: this is a useless post at the top of the page but whatever!! Orion looks great, treemen look great

edit: the gameplay video also confirms Morghur for beastmen I guess

peer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 17, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

I don't know this meme.

I dunno if it's a "meme" but it's one of the waywatcher's many insults towards her non-elf party members in Vermintide

peer
Jan 17, 2004

There was a Bretonnia announcement last week, they're coming for free in february

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Female soldiers riding sidesaddle would have been 100% stupid in Attila and it's 100% stupid here too. Doesn't mean I'm gonna boycott the game or anything but I can see why people would be annoyed.

edit: wait, TW: Attila did have like "scythian warrior women" or something similar, right? Or did I dream it?

peer fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 30, 2016

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Randarkman posted:

No Scythians in the 4th century AD. But the barbarians and the nomads all had women mixed in with the men amongst their lower tier units, and for the nomads many of these were cavalry, no side saddle there.

I meant huns (or sarmatians)!!! But yeah okay so I'm not imagining it. I remembered the female infantry units pretty clearly but wasn't 100% sure there were any cavalry ones

peer
Jan 17, 2004

brocretin posted:

This is literally a conversation worse than anything that's going on in totalwareddit right now. Just think about that...

Yeah it's kind of shocking that both reddit and the official forums are more open to discussing female representation in video games than goons in this thread

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Rygar201 posted:

Who is saying representation is bad/unnecessary ITT?

Nobody's saying exactly that, but there seems to be about a 50% split between "elf sidesaddle is dumb" and "elf sidesaddle is fine/who cares", plus about twice as many posts complaining that anyone's even talking about it. It's an issue of female representation in games in the same way that (say) boob armour is, and as someone pointed out earlier there would be a storm of complaints if a male unit like Pistoliers or knights used the animation.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

How do Vampires ride?

Like the male characters, which means their dress looks weird and their legs clip through the mount. Still Better Than Sidesaddle

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Fangz posted:

It really isn't like boob armour, and there might be complaints but it would still be silly.

It's like boob armour in the sense that it's design based on outdated conceptions of how women should look/act, and would be extremely impractical in an actual battle. I agree it's not sexualisation in quite the same way, though.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Exmond posted:

Also if you want women in the game just mod it in.

lol

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Cardiac posted:

Better than loving side saddles at least.
People being upset about that, while not being upset about the option to kill, sacrifice or eat your captives is also kinda interesting.

Yes this is exactly the same kind of thing, well done. You're #2 after the guy who said anyone who wanted female representation in games could just "mod it in".

peer
Jan 17, 2004

sassassin posted:

It's hard to understand the anti-sidesaddle argument as no one presents far it beyond "it's bad, duh".

I don't know whether you can't read or what, but people (even myself!) have been explaining why it's "bad" for a few pages. If you tell any of these people which part of their post is confusing I'm sure they can explain it to you in even simpler words, unless the reason you said it's impossible to understand is that you believe sexualisation of female characters in media isn't a problem.

quote:

It's like boob armour in the sense that it's design based on outdated conceptions of how women should look/act, and would be extremely impractical in an actual battle. I agree it's not sexualisation in quite the same way, though.

quote:

It's the opposite extreme of sexualization, and no less offensive- an impractical style of riding designed to protect the dainty modesty of women from the shocking impropriety of mounting a steed, which could drive them to go wild and enjoy sex or learn to read or something.

quote:

No one actually thinks CA is doing this out of malice; people are saying that it's bad regardless. It's worse than a "weird little thing", because it's inherently connected to larger issues with games and stands out a lot even if you have a basic understanding of the lore. I get that they were just saving time but it's def an issue i'd like to see corrected, that's all. I hear everyone saying that seeing a female LL would be most important, and this can be modded in, but I still think this is worth fixing themselves.

Also, arguing that other games don't have good representation of woman is a moot point and irresponsible. And just cause GW hosed up doesn't mean CA can't make some Female LLs as other have said there are some good opportunities to do such and CA has already departed from GW many times.

quote:

We can do both things! Fixing this dumb sidesaddle nonsense does not intrinsically have an opportunity cost of "welp guess no female LLs then". It is not zero sum, we can do both. And we should, because even if the sidesaddle thing isn't the end of the world or the worst thing ever it isn't good either.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

This is a great reason to derail a thread with meaningless minutiae. Take your pronouns and gently caress off to tumblr. Remember, the suicide hotline is open 24 hours a day.

I'm sorry for bringing game-related real world issues into your warhammer safe space, friend

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Dunno about bugs, but have you checked whether the mount is available on the character screen?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Anyone know who voices Belegar? He sounds soooo familiar.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Davincie posted:

carrying around dead guys confirmed

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Skarsnik himself seems on the strong side, he has the weapon strength of a regular lord but has 2 models so he essentially gets to attack 2 times as fast if I understand the game system correctly?

I'm fairly sure they function as one model, mechanically. They don't attack separately

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Azhag and Gelt have the best voice acting for their respective factions though so they need to be a little bit weaker or you'd never play anything else :shobon:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Aurubin posted:

What's up with Isabella's eyes?

she a vampire

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Carecat posted:

Are there any recommended mods? Only just started out.

The game is perfectly fine without any mods. My suggestion would be to play for a bit, and then look for mods to fix whichever features or imbalances you're unhappy with.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Ahaha that grail reliquae dropkick

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I wish they'd at least made beastmen giants have cow heads :(

I mean, they went to the effort of making their chaos spawn look different

edit: I know beastmen giants are a little different from their WoC counterparts, but still. Shoulda gone for cow head.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Did anyone figure out which mod breaks occupying settlements as Bretonnia?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

theDOWmustflow posted:

Oh right, totally forgot re: Cygors.

Aww really? In the video at the top (e: of the previous page), there's a Bone Giant Archer sniping the Demigryph Knights. Guess it's fan wishful thinking.

I'm 90% sure Bone Giants were given the option of bows in a White Dwarf magazine at some point

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Azhag is amazing, I don't know what you're talking about. YEEES, DIS'LL PLEASE DA IRON HAT

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Broguts posted:

Hernan Cortez actually only had something like 19 guns when he went to the new world. Apparently his successes came from using his pack horses as improvised cavalry, the Aztecs had literally never seen horses before so they simply could not deal with them.

Yeah and just like the ships this meant they literally couldn't see the horses and so assumed the spaniards were hovering

I'm sure someone believes this.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Squig Hoppers are also very fast

peer
Jan 17, 2004

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

We'll never avoid the dude on TWC bitching about the 'good old days' of MTW2 when there were great, immersive features such as SQUALOR and building a diplomat to walk to the end of the earth just to say hello to another faction.

and most importantly, no female characters or units except princesses who exist only to be married.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Probably fighty-guy-on-dino as the second lizard LL.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

I don't like how every LL is becoming their own faction. It means that in order to get access to the other LLs you have to confederate, which takes time, which means that the AI has plenty of opportunities to pick up "+2% raiding income" skills instead of the actually good ones

I love it because (in addition to starting position variation being fun) for a lot of factions there's very little reason to use regular lords ever. Strigoi on terrorgheists are awesome, Chaos dragons are cool, elf lords on eagles or dragons are cool, but you hardly ever see any of these in the campaign.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Tardcore posted:

This kind of stuff really only pisses off the history grognards. The Warhammer ones mostly get pissed off at stuff like the foot squires and the hippogriff knights.

I don't feel especially strongly about foot squires one way or the other but hippogriff knights are pretty lame. It's the kind of Radious more-of-everything design you'd expect to see in a mod alongside an Aspiring Champions On Chaos Dragons unit.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

Having a faction that is completely impossible to stop if they just do Unlikely Thing X (typically unite) just serves to cheapen everything else.

This trope goes back at least 2500 years. Oh, the thracians/celts/whichever barbarians would totally take over the whole world if they stopped drinking, fornicating and fighting each other, silly primitives

peer
Jan 17, 2004

John Charity Spring posted:

The worst case of animations meaning units underperform is: watch any lord on a flying mount try to chase down routing troops, especially a single enemy lord (mounted ideally). Just watch them constantly land, miss the charge, circle around, not attack, then take off to try again.

I think this is not only a case of animations messing up, but also a case of how sitting on a giant dragon somehow lowers the lord's combat stats. Flying mounts are great for the movement and the terror-causing, and okay for disrupting formations, but not great for actually killing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

quote:

Metascore at 82 but no really it's the worst game ever.

Other games with metascores of 82: Dragon Age 2 and Wildstar, neither of which is perhaps quite the worst game ever but both of which are terrible.

• Locked thread