Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Playing Empire and invaded VC.

Won an Epic out numbered 4:1 defense.

:smug:

Get my first crash to desktop trying to take a screenshot of my ridiculous kill count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

They should smarten up and create some Generic Quests, tech trees and RNG some Items then sell a "Minor Faction" pack that unlocks all the factions :10bux:.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The direct damage can be underwhelming, but the buffs and debuffs are great.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

VC in some ways are the most fun faction to play, hands down.

I always find VC a bit of a slog.

You've got a single strategy you can execute.

At least with other factions I can build armies for different tactics instead of executing the same one over and over again.

DiHK posted:

CA did an incredible job with unit balance this go-round; there's only a few units that could be called broken and even then it's not a deal breaker.
Unit wise balance is pretty good.

Demigryph Knights are probably going to get the poo poo nerfed out of them, justifiably so.

The next biggest issue is Quarrelers, but even that isn't a huge one. They're very good and very easy to use, but they do fall off pretty hard against armor.

Legendary Lord, Magic and Agent balance is all over the place though.

Xae fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 8, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm not sold on the Luminark. Yeah, it does pretty good single-target damage, but that's really unimpressive and never feels effective - 20 seconds between shots and each shot takes 1/10th of a giant's health off, wow, I'm so impressed. Whereas a battery of great cannons loving pummel that giant and keep it staggering and bellowing until it goes down, and can also wreak havoc on troop formations too.

Helstorm rockets, great cannons, steam tanks, and to a lesser extent mortars: good Empire artillery/war machines. Helblasters/Luminark: not that impressive I think.

Mortars are only good because you can build them early.

They knock everyone around, but they do gently caress all for damage.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

madmac posted:

I actually enjoy playing Gelt and his starting army but seriously, Searing Doom is the one spell in the game so bad that it does literally nothing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695024040

It is a complete rebalance of spells, spell skill "trees" and the major artifacts.

It is very good.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

The best part about Autocalc is that it doesn't take into account arc for ranged units.

Stack those Rifles and Organ Gun/Hellblasters.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

This game really needs a "testing" setup for custom games where you can control both factions to test out various unit matchups and fighting strategies.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

grimgor too good and most mounts that fly for mages are for position not combat

Grimgor is asinine because he has stupid amounts of weapon damage, armor piercing and almost every attack animation he has results in an AoE Stun.

I really don't get why they gimped magic but left in 1000 man killing lords.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grumio posted:

"Summon the Elector Counts!"

I do not consent!

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Unique Mechanic: Dogs of War recruitment is based on the Region they are in, not the buildings in the Region.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Olive Branch posted:

Has anyone been able to initiate an ambush as Empire or VC? Underway interceptions are always doable but my hidden stacks on 70% ambush chance territory keep getting spotted. Maybe I should just make a VC general with full points in "Ancient Cunning" and park outside settlements like some bastardized German horde against the Roman Empire.

What difficulty level?

Also any agent, even a third party, can scout and prevent an ambush.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Arcturas posted:

What's the best way to deal with light cavalry spam? In my empire campaign (now finished, thank god) the northern raiders constantly sent stacks with six plus units of throwing axe cavalry at me, and it is such a pain. I can't sent knights to charge them because they run away and have a second unit shoot my knights in the back. I can't ignore them or they chew up my artillery.

I eventually dealt by just sticking sacrificial spearman with shields on the back and flank of my army and ignoring their horrible casualties while crushing the line and then slowly chasing the cavalry until they gave up, but there has to be a better way. Pistoliers, but better used?

Even later on I just remembered to bring gunners or crossbows who dealt well with light missile cavalry, but that was usually easier because by that point there were only one or two units in each stack. (And I could justify camping the cavalry by my back line to deal with chaos Knights or whatever strong cavalry they tried to flank with)

Never, ever, ever manually fight against stacks of missile cavalry.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ilustforponydeath posted:

No raiding stance. Currently at 82% corruption, chaos themselves take attrition, but the developer golden boys just power through without a hitch.
They're a MUCH bigger threat than chaos itself at this point.

Because the Norsica Region has as many settlements as the Empire and most of them generate more income.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm dumb, I can't find the mod kit for this game.

Anyone have a link?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

mornhaven posted:

They seem fine, though you could probably increase Rune of Grimnir, Grave ward, and Dodgy Geezer.

In Molay's Spells & Artifacts Dodgy Geezer gives a 20-25% speed boost, which does make a difference but doesn't seem broken. I haven't tried it with the mount mod though, so that might make it broken.

Molay's is really great for spells, but it makes the artifacts brokenly overpowered.

Gitsnick gets a 50% AP ability, Sword of Unholy Power gets +10 Vampiric Corruption in near by provinces. I really wish there was just a spell version. Melee Lords didn't need any buffs.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

So as VC what do you guys do after taking out Templehof and Schwartzwafen? I feel like I'm in a delicate diplomatic situation and I want to piss off as few people as possible.

I like to deal with the Dwarves first.

You can either Kill them in Zhufbar, or kill enough Orcs so they love you.

Once I secure the east I start marching up towards Kislev.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Operant posted:

Playing my first Chaos campaign feels weird as hell. Am I supposed to be constantly running a negative income and just staving it off with the stupid amount of money I make from sacking cities?

Yes.

Sack the Nordic cities. They have stupidly good economies in the early game. If you conquer the north and Loot -> Raze/Awaken you should hit the mainland with 6 figures of bank.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Great epic battles are rare in my campaigns unfortunately but finally had a good one against mousseline. My empire 1.5 stack vs 3.5 undead. Took 3 attempts but finally triumphed. It's pretty cool how wildly battles can swing based on player tactical choices.

First battle was a disaster due to the reinforcement bug, 2nd time was loss due to poor tactical alignment, 3rd time was victorious thanks to smart crossbow use :)

I would say the lack of fighting is my biggest disappointment in the game so far.

The AI will absolutely not engage in any fight where they do not have a 1+ stack advantage. I can't even bait them into an ambush because the AI has total omniscience and will walk around ambushes, even if they aren't detected. "Wars" consist of me taking all the settlements and the AI running their stacks away to die to attrition once they have 0 cities left.

The biggest fights I get are my garrison troops vs 2 stacks. Those two stacks will always run immediately before I can catch them. Eventually they die to attrition.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Mr. Wookums posted:

dunno if you're modding but I have never had this issue.

It happens with or without mods.

But I get the feeling the campaign map is really buggy. I randomly get 1GB/s memory leaks on the campaign map and I don't get Raise Dead battles ever.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

I think "won't fight without 1+ stack advantage" is an exaggeration but the AI is definitely a big bitch boy who will run from a fair fight like it's trying to talk them about Jesus. If it can't gang up on your army to the point you have 30% of the bar or less it would rather just not fight at all and run around making a big rear end in a top hat of itself.

It isn't an exaggeration.

I've had half stack Chaos armies siege Provincial Capitals with an upgraded garrison and a full stack of troops inside and they just starved to death rather than attacking me.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Well that's pretty much totalwarhammer.txt, it's described all 3 of the campaigns I've completed so far.

How do yours typically play out? I can't imagine any scenario where the AI would ever engage battles it doesn't have a huge advantage over and run from anything else. I have no aggressive agents and movement boost in owned territory installed, but that's it.

I'm convinced it is related to the Raise Dead bug, do you get those markers when you are playing VC?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

I have one currently in Templehof, and it seems to be working.

lovely, there goes my theory.

I typically play by Alpha strike. I move in and murder all settlements. They'll hole up in their provincial capital. I'll move my stacks to attack it at once.

Maybe they'll send a stack or two past my lines, ignoring zones of control, and sack a city.

But most of the time they are passive, even during war.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Yep, pretty much. What they try to to for me is run far away and resettle a ruin somewhere. Block army is easily the most important hero skill in the game, IMO. I don't even try to ambush anymore, I just spam block army and try to funnel them into a waiting doomstack.

I mean I still love the game and plan on playing indefinitely but good, heated battles on open ground are so rare. Using lightning strike is really the only way to catch a single full stack with their pants down.

Getting a Lord to Lightning strike is usually my top priority. Otherwise the AI will sit on their capital with 2-3 stacks. With Lightning strike I can at least pick off the extras.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Sorry if you already answered this, but what difficulty are you playing on? When I did my first campaign on normal to learn the ropes of the different factions it seemed like the AI just waited for me to come kill them. When I increased the difficulty I ended up in a lot more field battles, plenty of them were pretty even odds too.

I've played a campaign on everything form Easy to Hard. I haven't tried Legendary yet.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think trolls are a little under powered for their cost and ridiculously terrible leadership currently. As it is now, as long as my army has a couple of siege weapons I almost never have to fight an enemy troll unit as long as I remember to target them first.

The best fight was the Dwarf quest where you fight a poo poo ton of trolls.

I had so many quarrelers and so much artillery they never hit my lines.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Man, Irondrakes loving suck. Their small unit size makes em useless for me, Im disappointed.

Anyone find a good way to employ them? They should have some sort of AoE value to bathe a unit in damage, since it seems they kinda just kinda piss in a stream of piss rather than 'palm.

Iron Drakes are amazing.

They have a small unit size and they'll fire 3 ranks deep which lets them checkerboard amazingly well.

The smallest gap in your line lets them just merrily fire away and murder everyone.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Grognan posted:

It is the Uber of voip and it doesn't work well and it bundles with adware. The incentive program has them shilling it everywhere they can. It is not a good product.

Really?

Got a link to Discord installing adware?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kestral posted:

The faction as a whole doesn't seem to have anything you could call a murder machine. Every other faction has a unit that you can point to and say, “This thing is good,” like demigryphs, blood knights, ironbreakers, minotaurs, etc. Something that, if you could pack a silly endgame victory-lap army full of it, would trivialize the campaign. Not so much with Athel Loren, whose very best units seem only to rise to the level of "I would field this and not expect to get steamrolled." Further tests continue to suggest that Wardancers and Wildwood Rangers are the cream of the crop, and they're not all that exciting.

Wild Riders are pretty amazing as shock cavalry.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I know this is old news, but holy gently caress why is the encyclopedia so loving bad? Why can't I mouse over traits like Forest Stalker and Master Ambusher to see what they actually do? It's loving 2016 CA, and you've been making games since 2000. That's sixteen years as a professional video game developing company. This poo poo is UI 101, how the gently caress do you not know how to do this by now? I have zero experience designing UIs and I could do a better job. Holy loving poo poo fire the drooling retards you have designing this crap and hire someone who has some idea what the gently caress they are doing.

Because all the pages are online instead of local.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I like the Wood Elves because it fixes the biggest problem with TW:W: the overworld map is a complete clusterfuck of idiocy. The Empire in particular is just a huge mess of constant Orc and Beastmen invasions that pop up from no where and make the inital 10-20 turns one of those "Oh, an orc army just spawned and razed two provinces before I can respond, restart!

I really think the world map part of Total War went to poo poo when they removed provinces and went to the 3d map.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kestral posted:

Has anyone determined whether the faction-wide effects of Athel Loren buildings stack? Building space is tight, but I will happily make room if it's possible to get +8 ranks to Wardancer recruits.

I know the Sacrificial Ground bonus stacks and once you get a few running your units reach max level in a few turns anyway.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

fnordcircle posted:

If WoC and Wuzzrag are any indicator, fighting your own race constantly gets old very fast.

Nah man, I enjoyed fighting 50 battles of Marauder Horseman vs Maraurder horseman to start my Chaos Campaign.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

SickZip posted:

Someone make a mod that makes everyone require 12 points for lightning strike. Except Wood Elves. Beastmen, and Night Goblins commanders who get the current default position of 6.

Also make the blue skills largely not garbage

The system they use for Lords blows in general. I don't want to manage equipment slots, a huge retinue and skills for each guy.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Kaza42 posted:

Does anyone have any preferred mods for making the chaos invasion harder? Even when I'm playing in the south and ignoring it, it tends to get crushed around Talabheim/Middenheim rather than being a real threat

The Skaeling and Varg are the real threat anyway.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

sassassin posted:

What's the earliest you can get the Lady in the Lake tech? Turn 17?

Wood Elves keep Brettonia around as a buffer in the lore and it's for damned good reason imo.

Yeah, but they're a pretty lovely buffer. They can't even stop the odd Beastman tribe or two from making it into The Forest.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Starting a new Dorf campaign. How are Flame Tanks and Iron Drakes these days?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Martout posted:

Yep, mine killed all 4 Beastmen lords in the final oak battle just now.

I lost 29 dudes total, starting to think Welfs might be a bit too strong tbh!

The craziest part is how durable Eternal Guard become with the right Lord and Tech.

With a maxed Call of the Woods Glade Lord who is Starlight Craftsman they can almost rival Iron breakers.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Panfilo posted:

I wish caster legendaries like Gelt and that Necromancer dude had better versions of existing spells. I mean look at what they did with Rune lords; their three active runes are twice as effective as their runesmith counterparts.

I wish non-VC caster heroes were good.

Melee fighters are just a pile of asskicking that is good for 2-3 units in combat in the early game.. The caster lords are pretty garbage. They should at least give them a ranged attack like the Dwarven Engineers and ranged Glade Lords get.

Xae fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Anyone have a favorite mod to spice up the old LLs?

Cataph's Magic is pretty decent. It buffs up the magic and items of the LLs with out going into Molay's crazy poo poo.

• Locked thread