Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

I don't know how you guys put up with lifting. It bores me to tears. I used to do a lot of lifting until I quit smoking weed and since then it's been maddening to show up at the gym.

I picked up a road bike and started riding my bike to work a few weeks ago. It's 16 miles each way, but it's down the PCH and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Any of you guys learning programming to get a job doing it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

that's a really weird thing for someone to say. python's the only language I'm very good at, and that's because it's easy. some people have a weird attachment to specific programming languages and have an intense need to tell everyone else about it all the goddamn time.

i get the feeling that the guys yelling about crap online and nitpicking other people's work don't enjoy what they do on their own jobs and need to be "smarter" than someone else to keep up a self-image.

WINNINGHARD has issued a correction as of 06:01 on Jun 10, 2016

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah As Is Probably Evident i always felt insecure around real programmers as basically a guy who googled how to do programming as a means to an end and cobbled poo poo together from there, but sometimes they're the ones being weird and i should just move on :)

"real programmers" mostly muddle their way through poo poo helen keller

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah i was just psyching myself out. it's all good. all im really doing is offering drunken specifications on the general truism that grad school can be traumatic, if anybody's in that position believe me i understand

my knee problem was almost the opposite of squishy, it was tight; i felt like a tendon or muscle or something on the outside of my right knee was *twang*ing over a bone and back again on every rep. it was eerie and i always stopped after it happened once or twice. i think my gym's trainer might've given me the right advice bc when i started using the foam roller on the knotty spot on the quadriceps above the place where i felt the problem i could feel things loosening up and i haven't had the problem since, although i'm not up to the weights i've been at when experiencing the problem before. we'll see how it goes. but the more i know the better so thanks for sharing your knee fee-fees

fee-fees was probably the stupid ycs phrase that pissed me off the most and it seems to have died off but i always thought that should've gotten wordfiltered. at this moment however it rhymes

grad school's balls!!!! don't do it!!!

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

NumberLast posted:

This is a lie. Grad school is rainbows and cupcakes.

everything i say is true!! i am a genius and a saint!!!

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

actually yeah, this summer i'm learning python to complement r since so many employers want both

the hardest thing with learning a language is picking a project and having the energy to work through it after work. ive been trying to pick up C in my downtime {job is python, scala, and a bit of JS} but im usually too tired to do anything but watch jackass clips. it doesn't help that my experience is limited to building web apps and spark stuff and i don't know what project to build in C.what do you think you'll do for a project?

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

luckily for me i'm really interested in data analytics and stuff, so i want to try and tackle the yelp challenge with it. there's a cash money prize and even if i know i won't win it's still a pretty good motivator

I do stuff with apache spark at work. We've been using a platform called databricks to run it - they have a free community edition you can learn spark with. I've been writing all my ETL jobs in scala spark to ger a better grasp of scala but you can use R or python too, with a couple restrictions due to the spark people's implementation of python on the jvm.Right now spark's the hot analytics platform... It's a real confusing mess but it's great for analyzing massive amounts of data.

WINNINGHARD has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Jun 11, 2016

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

you should blast him with rockets

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

tonites music list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSGWsmR4ipM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlcJHO5elFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqAvFx3NxUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfniG-AdSC4

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Homework Explainer posted:

well i DO like sports, but oh! museums are fun. pretty cool so far, maybe we coul —

hm.

looks like a real winner there

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

your parents friends dont have phds dude. you've accomplished something

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Homework Explainer posted:

she is in a city on the other side of the state, so there's no danger of me losing a kidney tonight, thank christ. need that poo poo, to live

no reason you couldn't take her kidney. $40k is a nice chunk of change for 6 hours of work

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Preemptively stealing someone's kidney before they steal yours leaves the whole world kidney-less

also lol if you can't perform a nephrectomy in a tight four

tight four my rear end

fucker bastard

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

why did you send her a wall of text

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

can a Strong Christian steal a kidney in under three fifty? This is important!!!!!!

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

rode my bike down the beach... there's a dog show on the beach... it blows my mind that people dedicate their lives to dog shows...

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Baloogan posted:

the drat dog borke the sacred bond of trust between dog and man

and ATE my drat sandwich
the son of a bitch even removed the tomatoes because he doesn't like goddamn tomatoes

dogs are for trolling people IRL....

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

ThndrShk2k posted:

Since my insurance covers my visit I'll be going to get my yearly ball fondling on monday.

we have a rule at work that whenever anyone goes to the doctor we ask them how the colonoscopy went

prepare your butt hole.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

actrually, this is 4chan.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Al! posted:

life in the tim horton's arcology

bienvenidos a earf hombre

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

boil him LIKE A CRAWDAD!!!!

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

who is kate beaton????!!!! i spend my free time riding my bike surfing and watching jackass clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qjb8IcS0ww

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

buying a surfboard tomorrow, going surfing for the first time in two years on sunday.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Classic Comrade posted:

youuu take ur car to work

iiiii take my boooooard

aaaand when ur out of fuel

iiiii'm still aflooooooat

that is a really good motto

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

How long before you can smoke the herbs

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

ok, got the board & wetsuit, i am excited to drown

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

i really like The Pit of Spears.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

are you close to the water where you are? youre wasting a golden opportunity if you're not at least hanging out there as much as you can. surfing is incredibly fun too. most people dont have the nice things we have in california, it's a shame not to enjoy them

E: same thing goes for florida. i grew up in a cold dusty place and it blows my mind that people in southern california take these things for granted. florida has tons of coastline and the sun is out every day.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

i live in sacramento lollllllllll

i actually am happy with it in the sense that i spent a lot of money to live in trendy cities in my 20s and now i can cheaply (by dc/arlington/denver standards) live in a place where i can walk to a couple different good restaurants and bars and loving gourmet burger places that serve craft beers and public transit, and that basically covers 90% of what people pay for when they go to the like 10 cool cities in the country that suck up all the loving money

but like i was just in san fran on that work trip getting drunk on pier 39 in the morning and like, yeah, that was cooler than sacramento. my parents are moving to tahoe literally as we speak though and i can always go back down there so sacramento's status as 'between cool things but slightly less expensive than them' will do me good i guess

SF is IMO really crappy. it's filthy and expensive. Good food is something you can get anywhere.

Sacramento is incredibly underrated. it's a hell of a lot cheaper than coastal CA and you're not too far from tahoe and tahoe is the bees knees.

im in huntington beach and i have a nagging feeling that i am actually in a dream and ill wake up back in a moldy apartment in seattle. there's no way life is this good.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

ive never been to southern california. im gonna need to have a reason though, i feel like the tourist traps arent interesting and i dont know anybody down there really aside from like on forums and twitter - met a few people recently tho. but i'd love to see all that poo poo

so far i would go to dodgers and angels games cause im a baseball nerd, id go to the huntington library (named after the same guy as your town, huh), i guess there's some good museums, and i could get some advice on places to eat from my internet friends - i could do the beaches too but idk i'd probably end up at some crowded shithole if i did it at the wrong time and i don't go to beaches to hang out in a loving crowd ya kno. living on the florida coast in elementary school really spoiled me wrt beaches honestly. idk im kinda collecting a list

san fran has some real social problems, someone was telling me that living in the suburbs and driving downtown to work is actually the reverse commute because of the tech bros living downtown and working in suburbs which is pretty hosed up, also the real world series news article type stuff about homelessness and crime and the working class basically getting driven out of one of the largest cities in the country. but sitting around looking at the hills across the bay kinda reminded me like 'oh yeah this is why people like to live here'

one of my bffs lives in SF, another had the good sense to move out to a suburb on the beach. SF... i could go on a rant, but it'd be useless. it sucks balls and it has a bunch of garbage everywhere. the place is full of the worst people from rich to poor.

here's what orange county has: disneyland, knots berry farm {no idea what the gently caress goes on in that den of iniquity}, laguna beach, 10 miles of pristine beach + wetlands + bike path from huntington beach down to newport beach.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Al! posted:

as an Oregonian I was raised from birth to hate all Californians

ive spent my entire life either in washington or california and the only thing i can say about oregon is that portland's the worst place on the planet and the only good spot in oregon is waldport

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

oystertoadfish posted:

there's a ton of north v south hatred in california, that's one thing i've noticed. especially since i work in water

i mean northern virginia and southern virginia dont have a lot of love for each other but it really doesnt compare, even though nova is generic newscaster-accent fuckin' yankeeland and southern virginia is Never Forgive Never Forget Literally The Confederacy

its one sided, norcal excepting SF is beautiful and full of wonderful nice people. people all over the place hate southern california for a variety of nonsense reasons.

E: it's not quite nonsense. people born and raised here expect nice things everywhere else.

WINNINGHARD has issued a correction as of 03:23 on Jun 19, 2016

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

For a lot of people, their first experience of southern California is LA. What's even worse, my first time in-state was flying into LA, then driving out into Orange County (past the Yorba Linda Water District, to steal the punchline from any other old-school goons), so you'll understand why I immediately wrote off that section of the state as a hellish concrete wasteland full of stripmalls and horrible people.

you bring up a good point. the area along the county line looks like a war zone, especially if youre driving on I-5.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Solvent posted:

I'm waiting for Civ 6 to come out, and I've been yelled at for being too peaceful in Civ 5 multiplayer.

I'd probably spend the entire match trying to spread single payer healthcare.

I also really want to know more about you.
Like, are you drunk and racist all the time? Or just when you post?
Is this shitposting some kind of horrid cry for help? Or is it the best satire I've seen since Steven Colbert?
Mixture of both?
Are you going to start wrestling women and feuding with Jerry Lawler next?

God, it's almost like you could get drunk and vomit words for money.
Am I right? Have I seen your picture? Are you really a skinny little white guy with glasses?

You could wear an oversized suit and interview Sacha Baron Cohen, and I'd watch.
It'd be spectacular as long as nobody took you seriously.

You'd understand if you had high T.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

SWEET BERRY WINE!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeyqS9BDPds

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

drink some SWEET BERRY WINE and you'll forget the "cramps", whatever the poo poo you're talking about

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

my stupid rear end thought it would be a good idea to walk 3 miles to the beach with the surfboard despite being incredibly out of shape and not having surfed in two years. Cue me not standing up once on the board. I guess ill try again tuesday morning

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

home beckons for The Glotch

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

zika is insanely my poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

SWEET. BERRY. WINE.

• Locked thread