Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Woke Fallout 4 Mod Sucked me off?! *soyjack pointing with required cameo of vault boy doing a thumbs down*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what if those mods are good tho?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

I watched a single video about all the issues with The Frontier and now my youtube feed is full of low sub channels screeching about how "THESE MODS ARE WOOOOOKE". God loving dammit, youtube algorithm

IIRC if you go into your youtube watch history and remove that video it'll make your recommendations better

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
people have malding posts on mods they hate?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
The people who consume that stuff have an endless capacity for it

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
For those of you looking out for Fallout: London, the mod's been pushed back to St. George's Day 2024 (April 23).

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah I suppose everyone likes spicy drama.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/76924

Anyways, CSEP/Dak's attachment pack is out.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

CommissarMega posted:

For those of you looking out for Fallout: London, the mod's been pushed back to St. George's Day 2024 (April 23).

I'm picturing the Fallout 4 Next Gen update dropping around the same time and completely breaking the mod and having a soft chuckle.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

e: link already posted

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 26, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Just bought this - is jumping into Horizon ok or not advised?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Dandywalken posted:

Just bought this - is jumping into Horizon ok or not advised?

For someone that's never played FO4? I probably wouldn't recommend it, but if Horizon is the experience you're really looking for you could try it. You'd probably want to check youtube for a quickstart guide.

Just to elaborate a bit, FO4 vanilla is the standard Bethesda experience; run around, do quests, accumulate loot, game isn't too hard. Horizon is a more modded, survival and crafting based experience; food and water are issues, resources are scarce, you have to scavenge junk and build your own necessities like bandages and improvised weapons. I really enjoy Horizon but it's a very different game, not an enhancement to the base game.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahhh ok. I had played ages ago and just got through jsawyer Ultimate edition New Vegas mod over vacation so figured that Horizon was similar for 4.

The lethality/lack of bullet sponges made it really appealing but I assume the same effect could be done with the Custom Difficulty Tweaker mod?

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 2, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Dandywalken posted:

Ahhh ok. I had played ages ago and just got through jsawyer Ultimate edition New Vegas mod over vacation so figured that Horizon was similar for 4.

The lethality/lack of bullet sponges made it really appealing but I assume the same effect could be done with the Custom Difficulty Tweaker mod?

Gotcha. And don't misunderstand, Horizon is my favored way to play FO4 these days, I just acknowledge that it's such a massive gameplay overhaul it borders on a genre switcher.

There might be a jsawyer equivalent for FO4 but I'm afraid I don't know it, maybe someone else will chime in.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the bullet sponge problem is a little harder to deal with because it's not that much related to difficulty settings, it's a core leveling mechanic. FO4 creature health after level 1 is just a product of multiplying Endurance times Level plus 2hp per level (it's a tiny bit more complicated than that but that's the gist), so in the later game EVERYTHING that level scales will have gobs and gobs of hitpoints, especially the big stuff like Super Mutants and Deathclaws. If you want to have a different experience you'll need a mod that specifically overhauls this mechanic. Here's a couple:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/49132

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6473

note that NPCs can be configured to have scaling health the way the PC does, or they can have a fixed/flat amount of health in which case this type of mod won't change their health.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One other thing that's worth mentioning with fallout 4 enemy hp is that legendary enemies will automatically heal to full and power up the first time they are reduced below half health (if they're still alive, if you're very quick or one-shot one it doesn't heal from dead.) This is an intended mechanic, the game isn't bugging out when it happens, but it does also contribute to feelings of bullet sponginess.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the big problem is that HP scales with level but damage doesn't - the levelled loot lists are designed so that you will keep getting better weapons as you level up but they're all fixed values and eventually you have the best stuff you can possibly get but can keep levelling up forever.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Horizon has a difficulty level which removes the survival bits (and enables fast travel and quicksaves), and is thus a more crunchy version of the base game.

Edit: I use GCM which removes health scaling from everyone, but keeps Endurance bonus (which is tweakable). Works nicely with SS2.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Dandywalken posted:

Horizon is huge, but all the changes work in a very cohesive way. This helps it feel better than disparate overhauls you might piece together yourself. Or, arguably, the original game -- making systems interact better, deepening some mechanics, and streamlining others is the idea.

It's generally survival focused and "harder" than base FO4 but isn't about punishing you, and it adds a respawn-at-settlement mechanic so a failed excursion/raid where you eat a rocket to the face isn't a game-over. There are difficulty and survival-ness settings to tweak in case you want to keep it easy-going but still enjoy the (massive) changes to settlements, crafting, balance, etc.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
If only Horizon 1.9 and SS2 would talk to each other. Mmhh.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Cool, ty all! I will try Horizon but if it gets to be too much switch to just using GCM and Better Locational Damage

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Importantly, Horizon also changes where enemies take the most damage. And things like a human enemy appearing to wear armor, or armor + helmet, are going to be your notification that you need to bring your good stuff out.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Sandepande posted:

Horizon has a difficulty level which removes the survival bits (and enables fast travel and quicksaves), and is thus a more crunchy version of the base game.

Edit: I use GCM which removes health scaling from everyone, but keeps Endurance bonus (which is tweakable). Works nicely with SS2.

explain the gcm thing please. I am using better locational damage currently with the new attachment pack.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Horizon is really good at filling out the Survival mechanics, as well as providing ways to circumvent some of the more annoying choices Bethesda made. You can craft an item to allow you to save at will, and when you die' you'll respawn back at a settlement and need to heal. You start with more HP than vanilla, but don't gain nearly as much over the course of the game (I don't think you get extra HP from leveling at all, just from increasing Endurance and from perks). A menu-based storage option makes sure you have a safe place to store your stuff where it won't get yoinked by a random settler, and you can set up cargo bot trade routes between settlements that don't require 6 Charisma and a specific perk and you don't need medical perks to hire a doctor. Purified water is a lot more rare and valuable, and production takes some work to build up to (buying or making special water filters). Horizon plays with the XP system and every level with the mod is roughly equivalent to 2 levels without it (sort of). The VANS perk now gives you 6 perk points (it only gives 5, but it also refunds the point you spent on it), but can only be taken every 5 levels. I think there's a craftable item if you want the "highlight route to objective" ability that the vanilla perk gives you (or whatever it does; I've never taken the non-Horizon version of it). The Corvega Assembly Plant, a relatively easy quest in vanilla FO4, is still a challenge if you go in at level 10 and loaded for bear because of just how many enemies there are at a time. Hit and run tactics are very helpful (at least for outside). My first few levels in Horizon usually come from doing the Abernathy quest to retrieve the locket (there's a minigun-wielding raider boss, so be careful), the Covenant quest with Honest Dan, Trudy's Diner (raiders like to respawn there every few days, it seems), and clearing out most of the animal nests between Sanctuary and the Drive-In (where I usually build up my main settlement). There's a lot of decent stuff scattered around Sanctuary Hills (the houses as well as the surrounding areas). There's a military transport with an army helmet to the northwest, and I usually keep that around for most of the game. The raider in the woods with the dog (north of Sanctuary, across the stream, iirc) has 5 noodle cups in his little shack, and those fill both the hydration and hunger meters. Pick up the Hunter perk early so you can get better meat from animals; Horizon has a ton of different foods you can make.

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 3, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So far I have Abernathy, Red Rocket, and Sanctuary. Ive got the basic needs met, but happiness is only 22% at Sanctuary.

Do the tatos I farm actually convert to player-edible, or are they purely for settlers to use?

Not sure what a good goal is now that my settlers are food and water stable. Im level 4 now as well. Any recommendations on where to take things?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dandywalken posted:

So far I have Abernathy, Red Rocket, and Sanctuary. Ive got the basic needs met, but happiness is only 22% at Sanctuary.

Do the tatos I farm actually convert to player-edible, or are they purely for settlers to use?

Not sure what a good goal is now that my settlers are food and water stable. Im level 4 now as well. Any recommendations on where to take things?

Do you have Defense, and are the beds you've provided everybody under roofs?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah built some guard posts, and the beds are in a building I built in Sanctuary. One of those ones from Architect

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You want to farm tatos, corn and mutfruit among whatever else you might like, so you can make adhesive, which you always needs gobs of and it's one of the rather few important commodities you can make a lot of.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ohh was wondering about that! Wasnt sure how it was made, ty!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Excess grown food will appear in your workshop, but it won't build up (i.e. if you have 20 extra corn you'll get 20 corn in your workshop then no more until you remove it)

Like most things there's a mod that removes the limit

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12430

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Tankbuster posted:

explain the gcm thing please. I am using better locational damage currently with the new attachment pack.

GCM (Game Configuration Menu) is a,mod that allows you to tweak the game's internal settings like base xp gain, trader prices, enemy HP scaling and a lot of other things.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I meant how am I supposed to use it alongside BLD. I just deleted my saves and added BLD and the new headshot mod by the same author and turned off scripted headshots. GCM had the issue where ghouls were really tanky.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

My understanding is that you should never settle all three of these simultaneously, they overlap in the game world space by default, and can cause instability.

Some mods have stuff to help with that but it's still not a great idea iirc

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think it’s okay to unlock all three as settlements, the Minutemen basically require it, you just don’t want to actually build up all three. Only pick one and use it as an actual full-featured settlement, the other two are ghost towns.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's mostly only an issue with fast travel and vertibirds causing you to load them all quickly. So if you build them up and just never go back you're fine too :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah im just using Sanctuary at the moment. Struggling to get oil still which means Im barely carrying any ammo. Have 7 .308, 6 12 gauge, and 9 .38 and just got to Oberland Station. Wonder if the crossbow would be better?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I've found a combination of using the stability fixes & precombines in The Midnight Ride and only ever fast-traveling to *one* settlement in the triangle works really well for stability, and then just hike from that one to the other two on foot. I've got sim settlements in all three even. Eh, mileage will vary.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That mod that greatly expands the script limit is a huge help for that kind of crash.

Boob Cop
Jan 1, 2023

Boob Cop posted:

Hey, not sure where else to ask this. I'm not sure if it was an update or something but FO4 no longer recognizes my native resolution (2560x1440). My cursor is confined to a small box on the screen. I've tried a bunch of fixes but none of them seem to work. This happens with zero mods after fresh installs.

Ok, I was able fix vanilla by going into my graphics card's settings. So non modded it works, but when launching it through MO2 it is still borked.

Boob Cop fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 6, 2024

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boob Cop posted:

Ok, I was able fix vanilla by going into my graphics card's settings. So non modded it works, but when launching it through MO2 it is still borked.

That’s because whatever you fixed is adjusting the graphics settings in your default Fallout 4 install, not the install/configuration files that MO2 uses. Look up how to add an external program to run in MO2, then try it through there. I can’t be more help than that because I don’t know what the problem is, or what you did to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
You probably have MO2 set up so that your profile is using a custom version of fallout4.ini instead of the default version. It's in one of the profile options.