Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Does anyone know from experience, or have any idea if Some Assembly Required and Horizon will play nice with each other?

Does Horizon do anything to power armour? I like the idea behind SAR, but if Horizon makes power armour a lot harder to use already then it doesn't seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I tried Horizon + a bunch of mods suggested in the thread last night and wow it is like a different game. I came out of the vault into a blizzard and it was amazing. The audio reworks and added reverb are brilliant as well. I was sneaking through concord and there was a burst of lightning, the thunder made me nearly jump out of my seat. Suddenly I am very wary going everywhere, rushing to get back to Sanctuary at nightfall and spending a lot more time exploring the immediate area. I also went with Some Assembly Required and it made the first quest with Sturges and co very difficult. The starting armour spawns with a very damaged centerpiece and nothing else. I think I got very lucky because I found two pieces of raider power armour just lying around in the room that all the npc's sit in. It was just enough to get me through the fight with the raiders and Deathclaw. I brought the wrecked and powerless armour back to Sanctuary and for now it is just a statue. I know a lot of people said that power armour is a waste in Horizon because of the changes to carrying, but I was looking to it more being what you strap on when exploring a dangerous area for the first time or when you know a big fight is unavoidable, rather than something you wear all the time.

I am struggling a little with an immediate goal beyond "Get to level 5 asap for the first VANS perk". How do most people start off in Horizon? I need to get to level 3 asap as well so I can grab survivalist, I think I made a mistake getting hunter first.

One thing I haven't gotten working, is the Sim Settlements HUD Framework component with Def_UI, I installed the patch for Def_UI and HUD Framework, but there is also a Def_UI patch with Horizon and I wonder if they are fighting with each other? Has anyone made the two work?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Mr. Crow posted:

It's a pretty big milestone early on, what's wrong with that as a goal?

You're basically just trying to survive initially. Maybe try and work towards a settlement/region you plan on 'living in' for a while and slowly move over there and start clearing zones around it to give you breathing room?

Ah fair enough, I thought that hitting level 5 was a lofty goal to put after something else! I like the changes to Sim Settlements. I was worried they would make it very easy to get a bunch of farms up and running but getting the fertiliser and rotten foodstuffs actually made it challenging. (I thought you could make fertiliser at a chem station?)

The fallout ambiance tracks are quite spooky when you are crawling through the undergrowth praying not to run into some raiders. I forgot how eerie some of them sound. And the total silence during combat works really well too.

I am struggling with defense for my settlements however, I don't have any rifle parts to build turrets and nowhere near enough settlers to run farms and guard posts.. I hope the negative defense thing doesn't bite me in the rear end and mean I get swarmed by a really high level raid.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I found some more raider power armour pieces when clearing out the comms room at the radar base near Sanctuary. Are these placed by Some Assembly Required or by Horizon? I never found pieces of power armour just lying around in the open next to a chest.

Is the only way to heal infections taking medicine that you craft? I got infested but I can't craft anything to cure it because I need Medic one, it is a little annoying.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

aniviron posted:

That's from SAR. Because you don't find frames of whole power armor anywhere now, there are a lot of little handplaced sections, generally in areas where there used to be power armor, but sometimes just in high-risk or out-of-the-way dungeons; the mod page mentions the Museum of Witchcraft, for example.

Most of the handplaced pieces are going to be raider or T-45 gear, but you will find T-51 sometimes. T-60 is only available by joining the Brotherhood or looting them, and there's exactly one set of X-01 in pieces scattered around the Commonwealth.

Ah OK, it's a nice thing to find. I think my main goal needs to be getting level 5 for VANS, and then getting a purified water filter up asap. I am assuming I can drink from it by interacting and get no rads even if I am not producing enough to make purified water bottles?

The fact that there is only of each piece of X-01 in the Commonwealth is one of the things I really liked about SAR, making it a real quest to get that suit. My only problem is that one of the pieces Is on the Prydwind, in the quartermasters store area, and I really don't want to join the brotherhood... I only know about that piece and the Museum piece so far. Will leave looking for them until Much later!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Davoren posted:

Well, sort of. Last night I found that there's still X-01 on top of pier 35 and for T-60 there is of course the rust devil tesla set in automatron. Still a great mod though.

There is a patch that adds functionality for the automatron and nuka world sets. All the legendary items still exist but are scattered, like the tesla set.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

turn off the TV posted:

Nope. There are actual flat walls that are only two polygons which are used interchangeably, it's just a matter of different textures. There are also smaller walls with the exact same textures as the higher poly ones, and when applied to the same total area have 10x fewer tris.

I'm not sure what is going on. The actual meshes don't seem to be designed with anything related to lighting in mind.

"Intern, we need to get Boston finished by the end of the month. Here is a rough map of the city. Get it done"

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I think I am finally ready to go and hit up the auto plant in Horizon. It is crazy that I have spent more than an in game week scavenging before I am at a point where I think I can do one of the first quests in the game. I think I need to get it done now so I can unlock Preston as a companion, Cogsworth just doesn't do a lot of damage and gets in the way all the time. I am even planning my attack which is something I have never even though about in fallout, up through the sewers so I don't get caught in a big firefight up front or in that first big room.

If you are thinking about playing again, Horizon with the True Weather and NAC is amazing. I still jump during thunderstorms sometimes because of how crazy it can sound.

My only frustration with it is some of the crafting requirements are ridiculously specific. Antibiotics need Flint Corn, I cannot find this Flint Corn. I can make both medicinal and herbal antibiotics but both recipes require Flint Corn. I have corn, both bought and grown but it isn't the right type! No idea where to find it because it is a modded item.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 5, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Flubby posted:

Yeah, I keep restarting Horizon and I get caught in a bad resources loop that wears me down. I lived with infection and parasites for what felt like forever until I could afford a doctor. Being able to craft things to help you out is hard enough when it comes to finding the scarce and very specific resources, but on top of that you have those gated behind perks, that are gated behind levels. So you just live with it. I have to quit and come back to it sometimes when I lose an hour or so of progress that sends me all the way back to when I woke up that morning. I want to get over this hump, scavenge stuff further out, actually be able to sneak and take out raiders silently with a crossbow. Right now I can't seem to get out of this sickness simulator. It's rough.

Yeah I gave up after being infested for 3 days and just booked it to Covenant, slept the night there and then used the doctor in the morning. Cost me about 400 caps to clear my infections + clear up my rads and I made most of the money by selling books and cigs to the store there. I got excited when I saw them growing corn but it was just the boring non flint variety.

I really like some of the crafting stuff, like actually using screwdrivers and hammers. But some of it is a little frustrating. I think I am mostly over the resource hump, the first 5 levels are very rough. You really need Hunter 1, Survivalist 1, Medic 1, Gun Nut 1 before you can do anything. Once you can craft ammo you can actually prepare a little better.

Oh and water is a bitch. You need purified water for so much crafting and I didn't realise. You should at least be able to use sanitised water because purified water is at least a midgame item. (Can you fill clean bottles with purified water from the filtered pump or is the only way to get it to wait for it to appear in the settlement inventory?)

Another big issue at the moment is carry space. You need Robiticist 1 to craft the cargo droids for the wristwatch thing and in order to not die I am wearing full raider armour and a stolen railroad jacket I found that is really heavy but has great protection.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 5, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Chronojam posted:

Are you guys keeping updated? Horizon updates fairly often. Maybe I'm the one behind, but I have made and found antiseptic pretty reliably. Moving up from bandages to medicated bandages was a huge leap and very accomplishing.

Buying and using chems for pharmaceuticals is more limiting than antiseptic in my experience for those advanced bandages.

I have found tons of Antisceptic and always carry a couple of medicated and unmedicated bandages, it's the antidote recipe for infections that I can't craft. I will check for an update tonight though. the fact that drinking dirty water can give you a disease is really nasty.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I killed a raider in power armour, and after looting the pieces off his corpse he blew up like a fusion car. Is this a horizon thing? It knocked me back about two hours of progress with no warning.

I was on the roof of a building in Lexington and after I came out of the loot menu he had the icon of a car explosion icon pointing at him, before I could really react he blew up.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

What gun is that?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Roobanguy posted:

nuka world dlc assault rifle.

Ah cool, I never made it to Nuka World, something else to check out when I get there.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Eraflure posted:

So I'm trying out Horizon and I don't have any of the ammo trouble I hear everyone talking about. Between the vault 111 freebies, the 50 fusion cells Garvey gives and every raider giving me ammo, I'm pretty much set for the next levels. I don't have any other overhaul/loot modification installed, am I just missing something here? I'm just not feeling the super hardcore vibe. It's a shame because the mod looks promising.

Did you switch your game to survival difficulty after starting? I am still struggling for ammo even after reaching Diamond City, and I only did that because I was so desperate for a companion who could carry things and shoot. I previously tried to take corvega and ran out of ammo not even half way through.

You should be looting mostly damaged rounds from dead bodies and containers, not real bullets. If you are seeing lots of bullets something is wrong.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

horse mans posted:

It's the farms filled in by Sim Settlements when a plot is placed. I haven't installed any additional plot designs, to the best of my knowledge.

EDIT: And to be clear, I don't consider it lazy. It's a clever way of dealing with the problem of presentable farm plots. Just make a set piece that will always find its floor, 99% of the time. It just doesn't work on tall, narrow placements.

One of the SIM settlement mods adds some new agriculture plots that are on foundations and use planters. That might help you.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Lokee posted:

Starting a 2nd playthrough with all the DLC, looking to do a power suit build. Any suggestions for some non invasive mods that might improve my quality of life out there?

If you want to make getting a good suit of involve some effort then Some Assembly Required is interesting. It makes Power Armour a lot rarer, and a lot of dungeon end rooms have a couple of pieces scattered around the steamer trunk. There is only one whole suit of X-01 in the whole commonwealth and it's pieces are scattered all over the place. The only way to get t-60 is to join the brotherhood, and you need to get on the Prydwind somehow to get one of the X-01 pieces as well.
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12050/
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17859/ (This is a patch to re-add a lot of the legendary power armour pieces added in the later dlc, like the Automatron Tesla pieces)

I would recommend Sim Settlements too if you are going to do some settlement stuff. It takes so much hassle out of setting things up and there is a nice progression watching your guys upgrade their houses and farms automatically. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/21872/

I would definitely recommend Raider Overhaul as well. It adds some nice variety to one of the most common enemy types in the game. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9103/

Oh and if nobody has seen it yet True Grass is really really good. Instead of one type of grass repeated across the ground it a wide variety of types, from dying rusty coloured bushes and shrubs to patches of more verdent grass and a mix of weeds. Just make sure you can handle a decent draw distance. http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23469/

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Basic Chunnel posted:

This is nuts, is it as cool as it looks?

My experiences with it are that it is great. The guy making it is patching it weekly as well, he releases regular youtube videos about it. There are also several plugin mods already adding new houses to add the houses already in it. I have had some frustrations with getting settlers to auto pick a plot and build a house themselves recently, not sure if that is my game or not.

The only think I would say is that it doesn't seem to like unique NPC's as much as generic settlers, and that I can't get HUD Framework and DEFui to work nicely with each other even with the patch. You can still use it without HUD Framework, but it makes things a Lot easier.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

boneration posted:

I'm assuming that Sim Settlements and Horizon are just gonna poo poo all over each other, aren't they.

No horizon fully supports SS, and even changes some of the crafting requirements. Like you need fertilizer for farm plots now.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

boneration posted:

No poo poo? Well then I guess I'm restarting my Horizon playthru, thanks.

From the huge Horizon features page:

quote:

Currently, the mod has optional compatibility/balance patches for:
Homemaker (included)
Armorsmith Extended (included)
Crossbows of the Commonwealth
Raider Overhaul
Sim Settlements
(I may attempt to add compatibility patches for more mods in the future if time allows)

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

A random video popped up in my feed today with a guy discussing the Fallout 4 concept art and I was really impressed with it. Some of it is really great, Boston with way more clutter and people. Mama Murphy as an older lady on a customised Mr Handy mobility frame with her knitting hanging from a built in drip holder. A shanty city built into a ruined skyscraper. There was a great image of the the survivor with a bleeding fist stepping out of his cryo tube, the glass shattered from punching his way out. It is a shame so much of it didn't make it all the way.

I don't really have high hopes for Fallout 5, not after what happened with Andromeda.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Whoever put "The Final Pam" in the names list is a horrible genius.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Stupid question: on my current playthrough I'm finding a shitload of legendary items, but for slots I already have filled with other ones. Is there a mod out there that can change something from 'right leg' to 'left arm' or even 'left leg?' I have no idea what that would even be called so searching for it is a bit futile.

I can't find it now, but there is a mod that lets your dismantle a legendary item to gain a special mod that you can then apply to another item and give it the same properties.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Yes that is the one!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I don't think there should be any real incompatibilities, you might just need to fiddle with your load order a bit.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Oxhorn did a good video about the whole situation. Lot's of knee jerk reactions going on. They explicitly state that they are not stopping people from modding and that they are not going to allow any exisitng mods to be repackaged onto the Creator Club. If you want to make something for it you have to pitch it to Bethesda and they will start paying you to create it from the point of the pitch being accepted. It is actually kind of cool because content creators will be paid all the way through the process, not just when they release.
It is also going to have localisation and q&a, with a guarantee of compatibility with existing mods and other Creator Club content if at all possible. If there is going to be any more story content for the game it will be through here as well.

Think about it this way. If Bethesda want to release another dlc addon for the game, they need to sell it through steam, xboxlive marketplace and the ps store. If they use this in game system, then they don't need to give a cut to three 3rd parties to do it.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

horse mans posted:

Did Horizon become insanely easy between 1.0.7 and 1.1.1? I had a fairly lucky start with Alternate Start, but I'm level 4 with 200 rounds of .38 ammo, and I nearly took out a sentry bot mark IV with rockets on its back just by plinking at it with the laser musket from the Museum of Freedom. Come to think of it, the Deathclaw at the Museum went down suspiciously easily, too. Something feels really off. The only other things I did were to remove Arbitration, and the Synth, Super Mutant, Raider, and Minutemen overhauls.

I am only saying this because it was a mistake I made without realising, did you change the difficulty to survival after starting the game?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kingath released a trailer for the industrial update for sim settlements, which includes things like

Building upgrade chains
300 new buildings
New plot types (guard towers and recreational plots were shown in the trailer)
"places to explore" - from the trailer it looked like one of the plots built a mine you could zone into
Settlement newspapers that update as you progress through the story
Hidden cool things in the new buildings
Smog
Better settler control so they look like they are working
Looks like you can setup production lines.

I am sure I am missing things.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I cannot get HUDFramework to play nice with Def_UI. I have manually patched the Hud .swf file but when I launch into the game I just get a message that HUD_Framework isn't required so the components are disabling. Has anyone else had any success?

My theory is that it might be something to do with using Mod Organiser instead of NMM. It looks like MO keeps the mod files separate away from the fallout 4 folder, whereas NMM puts them in there. Because there are two separate hudswfs it gets confused?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Kiggles posted:

Never had any problems.

Install HUD framework
Install DEF_UI
Install DEF_UI compatibility Patch from HUDframework page

I'm not using Mod Organizer. The problem you may be having is trying to use the patcher through MO. Using the prepatched hud.swf download mentioned above (last) should fix it. If you need to be using the auto-patcher for something else, then you're gonna have to figure out how to get it to play nice with MO.

No I was installing it manually :(

I think my whole setup is messed up as if I try and uninstall DEF_UI I get a big notice on my screen telling me to setup a hudswf.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Your Computer posted:

I noticed Horizon is (past) 1.0 now, is it good? Any big changes? I think it was 0.9 last time I looked at it.

I think the general consensus is that 1.0 is good but after 1.0 it gets a bit funny.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

moot the hopple posted:

How do I deal with radiation in Horizon, especially early on? I'm level 4 and my health bar is currently 85% radiation. I took a rank of Survivalist hoping I could make some Rad-Off but I guess I need to find a magazine as well to unlock the recipe?

Do I just try to hoof it to Doc Crocker at Diamond City and hope I don't get one-shot? :ohdear:

There is a doc in Providence that can heal you as well. I made a few desperate runs there when I was trying out Horizon.

There is a railway bridge about 3/4 of the way there from the starter town. Super Mutants seem to spawn there in the Horizon mod, so watch out for that.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Are there any nice open settlements apart from the drive through movie lot that would be a good 'main base' for doing Sim Settlement stuff?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I think sim settlements needs the dlc as well? It uses stuff from manufactury I think.

Why did we get three dlc's of just 'stuff for your settlements'? Sim Settlements is everything I wanted out of the system and some dude made it in his spare time.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

There used to be a mod that made power armour pieces really rare, and reworked power armour a little. I can't remember what it is called, does anyone remember? I have tried searching on the nexus but it looks to mostly be space marine power armour reskins on there at the moment.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

toasterwarrior posted:

That sounds like Some Assembly Required, which deleted all pre-set suits of power armor and replaced them with loot caches, and pieces were instead placed on an individual basis around the world, with their location depending on the quality.

Thats it! Thanks!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I looked through the last few pages and didn't see anything but I might have missed it.

I, like a lot of people I am sure, are coming back to Fallout to do a run through because of the TV Show. I started downloading mods but it quickly got really overwhelming with lots of prerequisites piling up and I was getting worried about compatibility. Are there any maintained modpacks (that you can reccomend) out there that pack a bunch of stuff together that are an easier install and setup than trying to get a mod list together from scratch?

I would love to throw more quests into the game, and I hear Sim Settlements 2 is worth playing around with, but I would also like some new armour and equipment if possible too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

boo boo bear posted:

storywealth (https://next.nexusmods.com/fallout4/collections/5atq9t) is the big one on nexus collections, but I've never tried it and have no clue how vortex works. it'll have all the latest larger quest mods and all the compatibility/prp patches that'll make them work together fairly well. there's also a dude on youtube named dropped icecream (https://www.youtube.com/@DroppedIceCreamMods) who does reviews of all the wabbajack mod lists and put together a tutorial on how to set it up.

Thanks, I will take a look, appreciate you taking the time to post this.