Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm downloading this to play for the first time ever. I'm familiar with modding Bethesda games, but I want to keep it pretty vanilla for a first-time go through. Are there any recommended mods/fixes for a first time vanilla playthrough? Stuff like the unofficial patch project but for Fallout 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Isn't it the unofficial patch that randomly changes the spelling of refrigerator on a lot of items

Refridgerator is the correct spelling, thankyoo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Does anyone know of a simple mod that provides a turn off/on radio key that doesn't require going through the Pip-Boy menu?

Also I'm going to ask just in case anyone's heard of it before: I'm having an odd bug where some text in terminal logs is cut off, it just won't let me scroll to see the rest of it.

This is my load order: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vykwzsffcntc4k/2019-04-05%2010_24_31-Fallout4.png?dl=0

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah that mod looks great. It's even got a DOOM themed power armor frame what is not to love?

At least Bethesda could keep rape camps out of their own games!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Just to be sure. You are on a 64 bit version of Windows right?

the system addressing more than 4GB of memory means they must be

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a good wabbajack or guide for a vanilla+ modded setup, something like Viva Las Vegas? I want to give my focused main quest + Railroad run a go again. Which also means I want a mod to stop radiant quests randomly showing up in Far Harbour since that derailed the last one.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

Have not used it myself, but word on the Internet is that "Welcome to Paradise" is a minimally tweaked vanilla experience.

I can confirm it restricts radiants sensibly.

And it's by the same author as the Phoenix Flavour, which I already used to good effect with Skyrim. Perfect, thanks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I went with Welcome to Paradise which has been mostly good. It does use one piece of Creation Club content, I had to turn off one mod (lockpick/hacking cheating), and I wish it had a mod to scrap power armor, but oh well.

It has an absolutely ghastly map mod though:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ygolonac posted:

Ghaaaaah. It looks kinda like they were trying for a cartoony "tourist map" vibe, without any of the additional art that makes such a thing kitschy, like the Nuka-World pamphlets and displays.

Also, even done right that'd get old *sooooo* fast. :suicide:

The hilarious thing is, looking at the mods involved I think the mod pack creator thinks it’s actually an increase in legibility and usefulness. It’s HORRIBLE.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ygolonac posted:

Ghaaaaah. It looks kinda like they were trying for a cartoony "tourist map" vibe, without any of the additional art that makes such a thing kitschy, like the Nuka-World pamphlets and displays.

Also, even done right that'd get old *sooooo* fast. :suicide:

Okay, so there are three things that it turns out contribute to this. 1) the modpack uses FallUI and turns off the existing pipboy effects, so the base colour is white and not green. that doesn't help the map a LOT, and is not the fault of the map mod. with pipboy effects turned back on it's green and it looks better, but not great. in other words, the map mod isn't designed to fit with the ui mod. so 2) replace the map mod, there's one recommended on the fallui map mod page that does work (I grabbed the one that's not on nexus, it's on loverslab lol). this looks a lot better with the fallui. great. but 3) the enb the modpack uses also blows it out all to hell, and I don't know how to fix that. toggling the ENB off makes the map look very good, but yeah.

so it's the combination of original map mod + fallui map + enb that makes it look that bad, i fixed the first part to go with the second but the third is still kinda eh.

e: also after loving around with it a bit i definitely understand why people went goo goo gaa gaa for the settlements system. pretty fun to build houses and stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Glazius posted:

I'm not sure how well it would play with the modpack, but if you want to get hugely settlement-involved, Sim Settlements 2 is an attempt to do that on top of the base gameplay, while adding a little main questline to explain where it's all coming from and a bunch of side quests as you attract all manner of interesting people to come hang out.

While one primary function is to auto-build houses on designated plots of land, a secondary function is to have entirely internal plots that nest inside a structure you already made.

Yeah, a bunch of the fallout 4 overhauls (sim settlements, horizon, frost) look GREAT but I'm holding off. I'm weird, I'm the one person the main quest actually works for and I really just want to get Shaun back once and then I can actually gently caress around with all the other fun takes on the Commonwealth. I got most of the way last time, then got derailed to Far Harbour like I said.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Relyssa posted:

I helped contribute to magnum opus (one of my mods is in it and I collaborated on the perk overhaul, among other things) so while I am biased as hell it is a really fuckin good modlist. I can also answer any specific questions about it you may have going in.

general curiosity question: how does it do in terms of creating weapon/armor diversity? fallout 4 feels very shallow in terms of different weapons, like everything has variants out the wazoo but you've still only got two shotguns and there's what, four pistols? midway through the game having signed on with the railroad I have the deliverer and tinker tom's rifle and once I trick those out, that's it unless some legendary creature drops some AMAZING mod version. it's the thing that bugs me the most about fallout 4's gear I think (and it feels like there's similar issues with armor, where combat armor/synth armor is the cap unless you're going to power armor or railroad garb).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm really surprised no one's come out with a replacement for this in the last like five years: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/14896/?tab=description

just simple "share this container between multiple settlements" functionality, i figured everyone would have that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Between item sorting functionality in current UI mods and the fact that settlement stores are already shared if they have supply lines or caravans set up, it's not super necessary?

Maybe I'm missing something in like the big overhauls but having a shared box you can put your armor or weapons in and access them from other settlements is pretty great imo. (ie things that don't live in the crafting system)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The story of university point is so sad. Poor Jacq and her dad.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

okay but how do i add them to my settlement

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just finished up the Vault 81 stuff for the first time. Much better more nuanced writing than I generally expect from Bethesda these days, even if the mole rats permanently reducing your HP is bullshit.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

since you keep getting HP as you level it really doesn't matter at all, my character has almost 1600 hit points lol

Christ

At like level 55 with 4 End I'm at 388.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How the hell are you at level 151, you must have run out of content like 60 levels ago at most

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Honestly in a modded Fallout 4, I'd be happier if they just removed leveling all together. Like let me make my end game build, and be balanced around that. The sense of progression should come from gear and gear mods, I don't really care about leveling in most RPGs to be honest, and I feel like there area lot of games that are held back by levels. The only games that I feel like do it really well are the Souls games, and a large part of that is the static difficulty of the monsters, and easily grindable spots to progress.

It's funny because I feel the exact opposite way, at level 55 there's still like 30 more levels of perks I really want and am still making hard choices between but the gear progression feels extremely shallow (outside of hoping for better legendaries). I'm using Welcome to Paradise as a modpack and I'm a Railroad stealthy sniper type.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

if you max out your int and try to keep it as high as possible it makes a very big difference, also the Idiot Savant perk is just bunch of bonus xp if you don't find it too silly
re: gear progression, seriously check out that weapon overhaul, and consider an ammo crafting mod unless you really enjoy the scarcity style

yeah i'm at int 9 and i guess i could swap out my perception trench coat for a lab coat to go up to 11

i do find idiot savant silly though yes

my run is going fine, it's just interesting how with more vanilla mechanics i'm having the opposite from you two

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Finished the main quest. It feels good to have resolved things between the main character and Shaun and now have new kid Shaun. For once, I want to keep playing, I still have a lot of stuff to do with Curie, magazines to collect, some quests to do, and I think I am gonna give Far Harbour a go and take Nick along with me. Plenty of perks I still want at level 60.

edit: for the purposes of this thread, I did it with the Welcome to Paradise modpack. It was a pretty great vanilla+ experience the whole way through with some bugs and little tweaks I made along the way. The biggest change is that you can no longer wear ballistic weave clothing and armor at the same time, which works out fine from a damage/armour perspective. The downside is that as part of this the list of stuff you can apply ballistic weave to has been reduced a fair bit, you're left with stuff like lab coats, +Charisma suits and dresses, and some odds and ends like trench coats and the greaser outfit. I wish you could apply ballistic weave to any piece of clothing - it not stacking is fine, I just wish I could've used military fatigues, for example.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 20, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
the top end perception perks make you an aimbot wallhacker it's hilarious

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ygolonac posted:

I was nowhere near that, but I did have a few "loads of clothes" mods like Elianora's "three hundred t-shirts and daisy dukes and so forth".

Some stuff, I'll miss, unless I manage to wedge it in.

Of course, "pretty" doesn't really fit Frost - it looks to put the "post-apocalyptic" into "post-apocalyptic game"; although from some of the questions I saw on Nexus, people are still making it M.A.P.S. (Masturbation Assistance Perversion Simulator).

Ooo, can you link whatever that is?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yaws posted:

So does this mod need others mods to work? It seems like this is telling me two different things.

The first line tells you that that mod does not need a prerequisite to work. The second line and after are telling you mods that need the one you are currently LOOKING AT in order to work themselves, in turn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Flowing Thot posted:

I'm afraid its terminal.

hmm, yes, I should build up Boston Airport, you're right.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

isndl posted:

Sure, except he doesn't grab anything and then I later get a message saying he's leaving with zero items. Tried with automatic, also with manual except I can't find any documentation explaining what the keys are for manual activation.

wouldn't manual be the same keys as you use for commanding your companion normally? like hold e or whatever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Zereth posted:

Anything I might likely want to turn off in, or add to, Magnum Opus? I saw that Rad-Ban Eyewear mod people were talking about earlier scroll past in the preview...

if this is your first time using a wabbajack list, don't touch anything. removing or adding anything can gently caress the whole thing up, and you're much better using a couple mods you don't think are perfect than trashing the entire list.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

Oh cool. Another one of those Arthmoor fuckups fixer mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/72679

how long is it gonna take arthmoor to make an unofficial patch for starfield i wonder. -1 days?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
About to finally do Nuka-World (by killing everyone, gently caress actually signing up with the Raiders). Any companion in particular worth taking? I'm guessing it'll be awhile before I get access to a workshop/settlement, so a big carry load for the purposes of carting around all the unique stuff might be nice.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Philippe posted:

Build a Sentry Bot with lots of storage.

E: after looking through the wiki it seems like a terrible idea. Bring one of your human shaped friends and give them a backpack from the backpack mod. It doesn't take long before you get access to a workshop, but if you're gonna kill the raiders it might not be super useful.

I figured out who to take, someone I never used much who’s gonna love doing raider cleanup. Cait. TIME FOR MURDER.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm actually really liking Nuka-World. Something about Bethesda's post-apocalyptic literal worldbuilding has always worked really well for me, and Nuka-World has the same "destroyed rusting hulks of what used to be modernity" aesthetic that made the Pitt my favourite Fallout 3 DLC. The actual quests ain't half bad too, I almost feel bad that I'm gonna have to wipe out the raiders instead of letting them expand into the Commonwealth.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
After 141 hours it's done. Pretty good game, all things considered. This was with Welcome to Paradise release 2.2 circa 2021, and I just got around to finishing up now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I recently finished a complete game play through with Welcome to Paradise and can confirm it’s quite good/stable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

What does Welcome to Paradise add in terms of gameplay enhancements?

Some common place quality of life stuff is about it. https://thephoenixflavour.com/fo4/wtp/introduction/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

okay. I managed to figure it out.

1. MO2 has an option to specify which executable should be run. I set it to the f4se loader instead of the regular fallout 4 executable
2. Addres [sic] Library and Buffout can be installed through MO2
3. xSE PluginPreloader cannot be installed through MO2, but rather its DLLs should be dropped into the main fallout 4 folder
4. there is an option in MO2 for "Use Profile Specific INI Files" that needs to be turned off. Reference: Buffout 4 installation guide

once I did that last step I was able to get mouselook going simultaneously with the controller, with Horizon loaded

This is all correct. You did it successfully! Adding/using different executables in MO2 is a pretty common thing once you get past very basic modding stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

orcane posted:

I don't know the patch well, but I heard enough of Arthmoor to assume he does this out of spite because it's his vision(TM) that he certainly won't alter for filthy plebeians, not because it's impossible to do differently. That post I quoted (from the mod's forum/posts tab) at least makes it sound like his usual brainworms.

It's a non-trivial addition to complexity. There's what, 4 or so major DLC? Far Harbour, Automatron, Vault-Tec, Nuka World. Plus the two Workshop DLC. If you're building for combinations, that's like 30 extra versions to keep up to date.

Arthmoor is a dick, don't get me wrong, but I can understand why that's not appealing for a volunteer team. Conversely, it's very understandable why the Nexus went "gently caress this we're doing it without you" for Starfield (and then no one cared because Starfield sucks, it seems).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

Good news! You can get a whole curated modlist installed and configured while you're doing the dishes or walking the dog. Check out Wabbajack, and see if one of the Fallout 4 modlists in the gallery are to your taste!

e: make sure to closely follow the instructions for the modlist of your choosing. You usually don't have to do much, but it'll save you time if you get it right the first time.

Note that doing it this way requires spending like $5 for one month of Nexus premium so you can do unlimited downloads.

e: I don't object to this, I've used Wabbajack plenty myself, but I figure it's worth mentioning.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One other thing that's worth mentioning with fallout 4 enemy hp is that legendary enemies will automatically heal to full and power up the first time they are reduced below half health (if they're still alive, if you're very quick or one-shot one it doesn't heal from dead.) This is an intended mechanic, the game isn't bugging out when it happens, but it does also contribute to feelings of bullet sponginess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think it’s okay to unlock all three as settlements, the Minutemen basically require it, you just don’t want to actually build up all three. Only pick one and use it as an actual full-featured settlement, the other two are ghost towns.