Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

My only really big complaint with Sim Settlements 2 is it forces you to acknowledge the main quest, was really annoyed about that. Conqueror let you completely thumb your nose at it.

You can at least tell Jake "nah gently caress those guys, we got what we need let's move on" which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

Just use wabbajack to install a huge curated modpack, it'll honestly be better that way and you'll actually play the modded game.

This one is my favorite https://www.wabbajack.org/#/modlists/info?machineURL=magnum_opus

I helped contribute to magnum opus (one of my mods is in it and I collaborated on the perk overhaul, among other things) so while I am biased as hell it is a really fuckin good modlist. I can also answer any specific questions about it you may have going in.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Talen_Soti posted:

I will take a look at these, do you have to use nexusmods' vortex interface? I tried that and it kept messing things up when i was trying to set up

Use MO2 instead, it won't touch the data folder and is just generally a better mod manager.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arivia posted:

general curiosity question: how does it do in terms of creating weapon/armor diversity? fallout 4 feels very shallow in terms of different weapons, like everything has variants out the wazoo but you've still only got two shotguns and there's what, four pistols? midway through the game having signed on with the railroad I have the deliverer and tinker tom's rifle and once I trick those out, that's it unless some legendary creature drops some AMAZING mod version. it's the thing that bugs me the most about fallout 4's gear I think (and it feels like there's similar issues with armor, where combat armor/synth armor is the cap unless you're going to power armor or railroad garb).

It adds quite a lot of weapon and armor mods and does a pretty good job of integrating them in a way that makes sense. You don't get bombarded with a billion "go find x weapon out in the wasteland" quests immediately upon exiting the vault. I'd say New Vegas still wins as it has the ammo variety too but it's a drat sight better than vanilla in my opinion.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

E: oh and I think the UMP mod is busted and creating invisible guns that crash at the workbench so be careful with that

If you're using Opus, disable the mod "Modcols for Weapons Mod" and it should fix that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Mandrel posted:

I'm getting to the point I need to start looking into how to merge plug-ins. I've culled everywhere I can but I still keep running up against the limit

ESL flag as many plugins as you can. Those don't count toward your limit and will free up space much easier than trying to merge them.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Installing Magnum Opus and questioning my life as I click "slow download" for mod #472, Vengenaut's Gray/Tan Crewneck Sweaters Pack

I have a pile of donation points and nothing to spend them on, would you like a month of premium so you don't have to click the button five thousand times? Would just need your nexus profile link

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Friend recently went looking at modlists for fallout4, is there a wabbajack pack that is rated higher then the rest? believe he tried to download either magnus or enhanced edition and it failed to install on the final mod.

Magnum Opus is extremely good, which I am slightly biased about since I collaborated on the perk overhaul and it includes a mod I made. Enhanced Edition is built for survival and MO is very much not, so that could also influence things. If you post which mod they're missing I can try to help.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

MO2, xEdit, and F4SE are still very much the preferred tools. It is worth checking out Wabbajack for a handy installer that will download and install an entire mod list for you. There's a few for FO4 in various flavors.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Heather now has Nuka World quests (she reacts extremely poorly to you palling around with raiders) and I think she also has Far Harbor stuff as well. She's one of the best modded companions in general, so take her everywhere.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

Alright how do I make Magnum Opus playable? Because by default it makes everything so dark I can’t see anything without using my flashlight, and I’m really not in the mood for Doom 3. Would be cool to be able to actually stealth.

I checked the discord and saw somebody ask how to make things lighter and they were mocked by the author and some others for asking, so I’m not about to ask there.

There's a mod called Interiors Enhanced that darkens interiors that you could try disabling. Failing that, an ENB or turning up your monitor brightness. There's not really any way of adjusting the lighting in FO4 otherwise, for some dumb reason.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

I tried Magnus Opus and it seemed like a big mess as it had lots of bugs immediately at the start.

What sort of bugs were there? Would like to help get those fixed up.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

dolphinbomb posted:

Having installed MO myself and having spent some time on the creator's discord, the overwhelming majority of people who complain about it being a buggy mess are the ones who didn't follow the directions or read any associated readmes.

Having run support for the list for quite a while, I can confirm this.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm quite fond of the old but very functional Journal of the Sole Survivor, which adds a holotape that you can edit to do some immersive diary roleplay, or in my case, keep to-do notes and reminders without having to clutter my desk. What I'm wondering is, would it be safe to mark it as an ESL in FO4Edit (not an actual ESL, just an ESP marked as such), or would that break something? It's a single holotape placed on a desk in your old home so in many ways it's a quite light mod, but on the other hand it's a drat word processor for Fallout 4, one with a both a Cell record (for placing the holodisk) and a Quest record attached to it.

You can have xEdit check if it's ESL'able by putting "-PseudoESL" (without the quotes) into the launch arguments. If you run xEdit with that argument, any mod file starting with [FE in the filename list is ESL flaggable.

In general, adding a new cell record is a point against it as that can cause issues if anything else tries to reference that cell. My gut instinct is that it's probably okay but check with xEdit first.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

hey, the midnight ride mod says not to use stuff like mator smash etc. Any idea why? I thought it was important for setting up levelled lists in skyrim.

Edit: same with things like LOOT.

Also does anyone know any quest mods that change the storyline of the main game instead of clobbering at least two factions?

If it's a modlist then the author has already gone through and done leveled lists and such for you. If you run those tools yourself you'll break them.

heard u like girls posted:

Outcasts and Remnants + Project Valkyrie

Thuggy is a piece of poo poo and so are his mods.

Tankbuster posted:

ive heard questionable things about the thuggyverse mods with some pretty cringy romance and stuff.

They are several levels beyond cringy. For starters, you can turn the institute into a strip club, have a synth slave of one of the DLC characters, there's an NPC with terrible voice acting that sends you on a mission to get a dildo bat, the list goes on. Also he's a racist and one of those free speech types. Yes, the kind you're thinking of.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 9, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

I found the mod Subversion which lets you skillmaxxx into a good ending with the robots being freed and everyone living in harmony. that sounds nice.

Subversion is cool and good and I would highly recommend it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Well, I got fed up and just uninstalled/deleted everything, save for my old save games. I thought maybe I could salvage it, but

I keep thinking maybe I should just go with Wabbajack or the Nexus Collections for a pre-fab modlist for a more convenient setup, but from what I remember reading over in the Skyrim Modding thread, you more-or-less need a Nexus Premium Account to do so. I dunno if it's absolutely required for Nexus Collections (it looks like you're locked into using Vortex, which I've not tried), but because of the number of mods you're downloading, you need the premium speeds in order to download everything in a timely manner.

Alternatively, I thought to ask for someone's modlist that I could reference for an idea of how to order plugins. There's Modwatch (https://modwat.ch/), but it sounds like that's primarily for diagnosing mod issues, and there's no links for the mods listed.

EDIT: It occurred to me that I could just search 'Fallout 4 modlist' on Google and maybe find some results :downs: One of the first I got was from the Nexus called MOFAM (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48580). It sounds interesting, but it's got like 50 parts.

MOFAM is trash for a wide variety of reasons and you have to do it all manually because the dude still refuses to get on board with Wabbajack. Play Magnum Opus or something similar instead. Also Thuggy is a racist piece of poo poo that makes bad mods and should be avoided.

I have enough DP kicking around to get a couple people premium for a month if it's needed. It's just collecting dust in my inventory otherwise.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I looked up Magnum Opus, and it sounds like a pretty solid mod list.

If I have to authorize each download through Wabbajack, do I need to do it all in one session, or can I close Wabbajack and come back to it later? (I've never used Wabbajack before) If I wanted to add mods, would I need to use MO2?

You can close Wabbajack and it will always pick up where it left off. You would need to use MO2.

If you send me a link to your Nexus profile (PM is fine) I can send you enough donation points for a month of free premium to save you from having to click each download.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

LOOT is dependent entirely on the community list which is not updated as frequently as it should be. It's a very useful tool if you add custom rules to it to sort things but it's never going to be a substitute for diving into xEdit and seeing what the conflicts are and what should go where. Do your best to not blindly trust it because it can and will make mistakes and put things in the wrong spots.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

Oh, cool.

When everything is done downloading, does it just auto-install all the mods? I know that some mods have the FOMOD where you select specific options, so I'm guessing if it auto-installs, you have to reinstall the mods you want to tweak.

Also, does it just install everything in a set order, or would I use LOOT once everything's installed?

Every wabbajack list, including opus, has a readme page that will open automatically in your browser. Look to there for post install steps. Absolutely do not run LOOT, as the list author has already sorted the mods for you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Zereth posted:

Is this offer still open? I could do with some shooting things and stealing everything not nailed down right now.

I have enough points left for one more lucky person to get a free month of premium. Next month when they distribute more I may be able to do this more but for now you're getting what's left. PM me your profile if you don't mind.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Arivia posted:

if this is your first time using a wabbajack list, don't touch anything. removing or adding anything can gently caress the whole thing up, and you're much better using a couple mods you don't think are perfect than trashing the entire list.

Extremely this. If you really want to add a mod, get ready to learn how to use xEdit and check for conflicts so you can be sure you're not about to break everything.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I got Magnum Opus up and running, and there don't seem to be any major issues with it so far. I'll have to play for a while longer, though, just to make sure.

One issue I am having. The audio is really low. I went into setting and upped the master volume, but on opening the game up again, the volume seems to have dropped, with the Master volume slider still being at the same point.

Go into the mod configuration menu and tinker with the persistent audio sliders menu. They're set pretty low by default for some reason.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

Is there a set of mods that improve the bullet sponge stuff in the game?

Game Configuration Menu - this lets you customize every single aspect of the game, and if you feel you're not doing enough damage one of the options is to set your damage multiplier. Highly worth checking out.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

any good idea what the multipliers should be?, 4x? 5x?

Tinker with it until you get a good result. You'll probably need to continue adjusting as you level up and get stronger enemies after you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Glazius posted:

It won't break with an alternate start, but the game does make use of the original dialogue lines in kind of a voicebox capacity. You'll probably have the option to talk with the SS2 characters about the spouse and son you totally have or those times before the bomb where you completely existed.

I like the way SKK's synthetic player deals with this. You get a mission briefing that basically says your character is making poo poo up to try to blend in and not seem suspicious.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

how does Synthetic Player work with the Subversion mod? Found out the hard way that it doesn't. NVM.

Yeah you'll need to do a lot of xedit work to make the two play nice. I'd probably stick with just Subversion if I had to pick one or the other.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Philippe posted:

I'm thinking about playing through as Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption 2. What mods should I use with regards to camping, bounties, hunting, cowboy equipment, etc?

Camping

Bounties

Cowboy Revolver

Hunting

That should get you started. I couldn't find any cowboy armor that wasn't just awful looking or way too skimpy. Elianora makes good armor/clothing mods in general, and that link has a whole bunch of her stuff. She's probably got something in there that'll work for you.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Do we do trouble shooting here? I've got something like 10-15 mods installed. Most are working, but all the audio ones don't seem to be functioning. I installed mods to change the XP sound, to change the main menu music, and to add the original FO environment scores into the mix. None of them are working.

The main menu music hasn't changed, and neither has the xp gain sound. I did notice that when I start the game without the ambient sound mod on, the normal game sound works just fine. But when I enable the mod, no ambient music plays. So clearly it's causing something to happen, but doesn't seem to be able to play the music files.

Anyone familiar with what might be the cause of all this? Seems odd that it would be strictly the audio mods that don't work properly.

Original Fallouts Main Menu Music https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2558
Classic Old School XP Gain Sound - Fallout https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10635?tab=files
Classic Fallout Ambient Music https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2990?tab=description&BH=1

What are you using to install mods?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

This might be a long shot, but I noticed your MO2 screenshot had "Fallout 4" in the upper right, where mine says "F4SE." If you have the FO4 Script Extender installed, change the launch option to that instead of the normal exe. If you don't have it, you might need it for those mods that arent working.

I checked the mods they're using and they're all just straight audio file replacements, no F4SE needed.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Flowing Thot posted:

I just ignore him and never go rescue him so he is in the museum forever. I'm probably in a minority that I hate the entire settlement system and wish it didn't exist though.

Right there with you, the settlement system sucks and the game would be far better without it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

heard u like girls posted:

I was under the impression that basically everything needs F4SE, is this not the case?

Not for things that are just file replacements. Swapping one file out for another doesn't need F4SE. There's very little reason to not have it installed anyway, though.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

conquerer was great and was the only thing that got me even remotely interested in the system

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Leal posted:

I like the settlement building :saddowns:

I learned that the boxcars make a great enclosed walkway that I can surround my settlements with. The AI can even properly path up there.

I do enjoy marveling at the settlements folks have made but I have absolutely zero creativity and just can't come up with anything at all when I try to put something together.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Make sure to take Nick with you on at least one run through of Far Harbor.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

Why would you save the Disciples? They're the only group with literally no redeeming qualities.

Maybe you're roleplaying a character who also has no redeeming qualities.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bumper Stickup posted:

For anybody playing Sim Settlements 2: What mods are you running along side it/would recommend to go with it? I just did the Midnight Ride guide and then added Sim Settlements 2 chapter 3 on top of all that under a new profile in MO2. Mainly just curious if any of the CSEP mods and Atom's Storm would conflict with it.

Atom's Storm does conflict but I believe someone has made a patch for it. Should be findable in the required mods bit.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

It is ridiculously hard to add or change that kind of function to a game, you have no idea

Fallout 4 especially so, at least from what I've heard. A lot of the animations are hardcoded so you can't easily do replacements like you could in other Bethesda games.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

Never had that problem nor heard of it :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Looks like you're running the Fallout 4 exe through mod organizer instead of the F4SE file. Click the dropdown where it says Fallout 4 and set it to F4SE instead. You may have to add a new entry if it's not there by default.