Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

What's the go-to HD texture poo poo these days? Anything good for armors? Muddy gloves on the pipboy screen are a drag

the one I'm using is the method under "Step 1: Texture Optimizations", from the Fallout 4 Mod List and Load Order Guide (BiRaitBec Modlist)

Essentially it's a collection of texture mods that together overhaul most if not all of the textures in the game. The real trick to it though, is that they straight up replace the base game's .ba2 files, so instead of the game having to load those initial files in addition to your swollen bounty of new textures, you now get new textures without a performance loss. The guide creator actually claims that these new-and-properly-optimized textures actually nets you a 30% performance increase compared to those of the base game.

And considering Bethesda's somewhat... marked reputation when it comes to texture optimization, I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Fallout4.exe auto-backup is a mod that supposedly makes dynamic backups of the game executable, so if Fallout 4 sneaks in a surprise update you can just replace the updated exe with an old one to make your mods work again

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Sim Settlements continues to impress!

What a great bunch of modders

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ygolonac posted:

That's what Mod Organizer does - keeps all the mod stuff in a seperate directory and just calls up what it needs; think the only changes to the default install directory are adding FOSE and the like.

The "Stock Game" feature being discussed here involves creating a clone of the default install directory. That clone is the one you'd be adding script extenders and such to, leaving the default one entirely unchanged. This way you don't need to reinstall the game just because you'll be using a slightly different set of files in your install folder. This also means you can have multiple separate modded game installations at the same time without any conflicts.

It's sort of a spiritual expansion of the original ideas behind Mod Organizer (and does very much rely on it to function).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

What little MO does install into the game directory - F4SE and the like - is required across most modern modlists for the game, so the distinction you're drawing is almost meaningless. MO leaves the vanilla game executables and data completely unmodified, without needing to make an entirely separate copy of the game.

In fact, I think the "Stock Game" feature is the less-efficient method.

The Stock Game method relies entirely on MO2. It's a supplement, not a competing practice.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Yeah it's just like, a nice thing to have.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm quite fond of the old but very functional Journal of the Sole Survivor, which adds a holotape that you can edit to do some immersive diary roleplay, or in my case, keep to-do notes and reminders without having to clutter my desk. What I'm wondering is, would it be safe to mark it as an ESL in FO4Edit (not an actual ESL, just an ESP marked as such), or would that break something? It's a single holotape placed on a desk in your old home so in many ways it's a quite light mod, but on the other hand it's a drat word processor for Fallout 4, one with a both a Cell record (for placing the holodisk) and a Quest record attached to it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Relyssa posted:

You can have xEdit check if it's ESL'able by putting "-PseudoESL" (without the quotes) into the launch arguments. If you run xEdit with that argument, any mod file starting with [FE in the filename list is ESL flaggable.

In general, adding a new cell record is a point against it as that can cause issues if anything else tries to reference that cell. My gut instinct is that it's probably okay but check with xEdit first.

Much appreciated!
It just shows up with its regular filename of journal.esp, while the random plugins I also included to make sure -PseudoESL was working properly do have the [FE 00x] prefix. That about seals it, I won't meddle in forces beyond my ken.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Does anybody know how to make NVIDIA Geforce Experience detect Fallout 4? I can't believe I'm actually starting to miss AMD's software; for all its interface and performance sins, at least that one allowed you to add an exe manually.

I already have Experience set up to scan the correct drives, it just doesn't find Fallout 4. It did find Fallout 76, which wasn't even fully installed, it was just some leftover files that Steam hadn't deleted (they've now been removed, out of a faint hope it'd make F4 appear somehow. It didn't, but F76 is at least gone from the list).

e: I even tried removing all drives from the list of potential scan locations other than the one that has Fallout 4 and nothing else but Wabbajack installed on it. It's still just the old list of detected games. Even deleting CefCache in AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience didn't change anything other than making me log in again.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 8, 2023

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd like to make sure G-Sync is working, the modlist I'm using (Life in the Ruins) has an optional addon that lets you play with G-Sync or FreeSync, the former of which my monitor is supposed to support. Come to think of it I'm not actually sure I need the GeForce Experience page for Fallout 4 at all for that, it's already set up in the NVIDIA control panel. I'd honestly completely forgotten that until you asked! Guess I don't have to mess around with GeForce Experience after all, nice.

e: this post brought to you by the stream of consciousness

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 8, 2023

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I never use GeForce Experience. It’s just bloat-ware to me. Nvidia Control Panel is where it’s at.

Yeah NVIDIA Control Panel is where it's at, no bells or whistles whatsoever. It just works.

Not gonna lie, I'm not sure I've used Geforce Experience for anything other than screenshots, recordings and especially instant replays. On that front it's absolutely superior to AMD Radeon's Software for the sole reason that they don't have as many inexplicable restrictions on shortcuts. Still baffled that AMD kept demanding that my screenshot shortcut had to start with ctrl+shift (you know, those keys that would never interfere in the framing of a scene). Weird stuff.
Anyway I don't plan on using either of them for screenshots anymore, better to just go with a dedicated program.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I played the early parts of the SS2 questline like seven months ago and it absolutely rocked, I think they might have refurbished it a few times, though.¨

It did take me way too long to unlock the municipal and commercial plots though, guess you're supposed to beeline for Vault-Tec HQ the moment you get that mission.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Check the "profile" section in Mod Organizer 2. Are you using profile-specific Game Ini files? If so, are you editing the right one? Is the option for Automatic Archive Invalidation checked?

Also, try switching those two lines you posted, I've only ever see them the other way around. I don't think it should make a difference, but it's worth a go.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

Oh cool. Another one of those Arthmoor fuckups fixer mod.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/72679

Just casually adding in killable children?

FO4 Fixes posted:

- Children are now protected instead of essential (only the Player can actually kill them).
- Power Armor Impact Landing should no longer make friendly and neutral NPCs hostile.
- Legendary Rust Devils are now equipped with Repair Kits, reduced Rust Devil encounters.
- Vertibirds have much more health, increased resistances and cannot be crippled any longer.
- Adjusted Movement Type values for both the Player and NPCs for more realistic movement.
- House Cats can now be moved to other settlements, and they increase settlement Happiness.

While plenty of things here are welcome additions, a lot of this does seem beyond the scope of a fix mod. As an example, the main reason the Yukichigai Unofficial Patch (YUP) for New Vegas was created was specifically because the then-standard fix mod implemented changes and content way beyond what people would expect, usually based on its creator's own ideas about what the game "should" be. There's a reason why the more "fundamental" Bethesda mods tend to be compartmentalized, each specializing in a particular thing. Users shouldn't need to add additional patches on top of your bugfix mod just to undo your personal preferences. At that point you're just Arthmoor again.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

According to the description it's a port of a specific feature from this Skyrim mod

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd recommend going with a very lightweight Wabbajack modlist as a base to save you the hassle, but even the most basic ones require the DLC to be installed.

Maybe you could check out The Midnight Ride? I haven't tried it myself, but its sister guide for New Vegas (known as "Viva New Vegas") has been very helpful in the past. It'd certainly help you avoid some of the common pitfalls when it comes to modding these games. These guides were designed to be lightweight and vanilla-adjacent, so they should provide something close to the experience you're after.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Good news! You can get a whole curated modlist installed and configured while you're doing the dishes or walking the dog. Check out Wabbajack, and see if one of the Fallout 4 modlists in the gallery are to your taste!

e: make sure to closely follow the instructions for the modlist of your choosing. You usually don't have to do much, but it'll save you time if you get it right the first time.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

I watched a single video about all the issues with The Frontier and now my youtube feed is full of low sub channels screeching about how "THESE MODS ARE WOOOOOKE". God loving dammit, youtube algorithm

IIRC if you go into your youtube watch history and remove that video it'll make your recommendations better

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

e: link already posted

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 26, 2023

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

From what I'm seeing in various comments on Nexus the Vault 1080 mod conflicts with a bunch of other mods that change the same area, load order won't really matter without a compatibility patch.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

e: nevermind

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Okay, game is downloading once more, nearly six years since i last played. What's the plan, do I just follow the Wabbajack guide?

If you found a Wabbajack modlist you liked, then yeah. Just make sure you read the pre-installation section very carefully.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

BigRoman posted:

2. If you're like me and can't figure out why all plant life is still dead 200 + years after the bombs dropped, I would recommend Boston Natural Surroundings. It adds in grass an trees without being "too much" in my opinion.

In my last playthrough I used the Wabbajack modlist Life in the Ruins and the forest mod they use there is absolutely fantastic

e: and another mod in the same list, for the Glowing Sea

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 19, 2024

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Back when I tried Life in the Ruins I liked it quite a lot, though that was over a year ago and I don't know what it's like presently.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

boneration posted:

Oh drat I didn't realize it made a new game directory entirely, I thought it just virtual file system'd the mods and leaned on the original steam install.

Wabbajack only does that if a modlist makes use of a Stock Game Folder (literally just a copy of the original game folder), thankfully LitR is one of those modlists, so your installation is safe, even if Steam pushes the update through. The modlist author for LitR has stated the ETA for a Next-Gen version of LitR is "months, years, maybe never". It's all dependent on how much disruption the update causes and especially how long it'll take the mods LitR depend on to get updated.

boneration posted:

I set the game to only update on launch because I can't find an option to disable updates entirely, is that what I want?

Yes. Thanks to the Stock Game Folder it doesn't actually matter much, if at all.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

What Sim Settlements now has a plot? I thought it was just supposed to automate the settlement building system so it wasn't such an exhausting game of doll house to find the one right wall texture or footlocker.

Sim Settlements 2 is arguably the biggest story expansion for Fallout 4 so far. It adds a whole new parallel main quest focused around the idea of actually integrating the settlement system into the overall narrative, rebuilding the commonwealth, doing nation building, and dealing with the repercussions of trying to do so. It also gives the Gunners an actual narrative presence, rather than just being fancier raiders.

I've only played parts of Chapter 1, but I liked what I saw.

Here's the story trailers for all three chapters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2QoTwOYF8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP8ikYltVeQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mQpEM6G1qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNnDrb6KUmI

It's inarguably a massive case of scope creep, I won't for a second deny that

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 25, 2024

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

You really, really ought to be using a mod manager, ideally Mod Organizer 2.

I'd suggest checking out The Midnight Ride modding guide, it should help you figure out how it all works and how to set things up. As mentioned, no script extender mods will work with the newest version, though someone will likely make a downgrader fairly soon that'll let you play on the old version.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

There's a Release Candidate of Life in the Ruins available on Patreon (public link) that requires the newest patch, but that's because it's got a built-in downgrader. Its feature-complete and unless some big bugs are discovered, it'll go live as-is in a few days.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

That would in fact be Life in the Ruins, it's all about survival. The starting 10mm pistol can easily gun down the raiders in Concord with a single shot to the chest, but eventually you'll run out of bullets.

In most survival mods I've played you tend to have this STALKER-on-master-difficulty problem where you're constantly dying and reloading because you have no health, but LitR uses Stimpacked - A Health Overhaul Mod, where the player actually starts with more health. The trick is that restoring that health is more difficult, and will cost you stimpaks or other forms of medicine, which are much scarcer. Food still heals you, but only up to a point.

e: it's tax brackets, but for your health bar. You've got four brackets. Food heals you up to the max of the bracket your health is currently in. Medicine lets you restore lost health brackets.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 29, 2024

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I could've sworn I read something about it being changed to quarters, but I just opened my save and there it is, three brackets. One of them nearly completely red with radiation :v:

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

JBP posted:

I changed the ini files to fix the power armour HUD because it's busted in 21:9, but it's only modified when I load the game directly into the armour. If I get out it goes back to being weird. They said the game was updated for ultrawide but lol Bethesda I guess.

Can anyone suggest the best way to enjoy the game in 21:9 that's compatible with the update? I never mod games but the HUD is really broken in power armour and probably an easy first mod experience.

Ultra Wide Interface (21x9) is a quality mod that's gotten an update for Next-Gen.

The mod has an installer that lets you configure and set the mod up, but that installer requires a mod manager like Mod Organizer 2 or Vortex to run. The mod page also provides instructions for a manual install if you'd rather do that.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 29, 2024

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

boneration posted:

Is the LitR folder portable? I just received a faster SSD and want to move the game there.

Yeah you can just move it over and then change the paths in Mod Organizer 2's settings and you should be good.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Life in the Ruins has been updated to work with Next-Gen, which is to say it has a downgrader now.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Life in the Ruins features a combat/lethality mod integrated, right?

Sort of, check out the Tips and Tricks, which describes what the goals of the list are. It's all built around the Lunar Fallout Overhaul.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

Is it possible to stream a modded version of FO4 from my PC to my Steam Deck? A lot of the big mod packs I've looked at seem to require you to launch the game from MO2 but I'm only familiar with launching games remotely through Steam itself. I wanted to try out Life in the Ruins but I've got a neck injury currently that prevents me from sitting at my desk for long periods.

LitR's Wander profile has support for Steam Deck (though it doesn't include Sim Settlements 2, for performance reasons), here are the instructions for setting it up. I don't use SteamDeck, so I can't verify any of this myself, but the LitR creator does, so I certainly hope it works.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Azhais posted:

Does life in the ruins change how the minutemen quest works? I did the opening bits, Preston made me general, but no settlements seem to need my help and there hasn't been any movement on the castle stuff. I don't have any MM quests in my journal

LitR includes a mod called "Who's the General?" that's aimed at reducing Preston's quest spam. Ask him how he's doing and he'll give you a quest. Or at least that's what's supposed to happen.

That's at least what I found on the Discord. I've only yesterday completed The First Step quest, as I had the misfortune of getting assigned to clear out the raiders from Slocum Joe Corporate HQ, which meant I had to get past a Sentry Bot (thank you Robotics Disposal Site Fatman), supermutants, synths, a "seaclaw", some kind of critter called "Deeppincer" and let's not forget "The Winged Terror". Luckily the latter three were too busy fighting each other to deal with me.

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1786084788924821964

The raiders themselves seemed to be just the terrified huddled remnants of some greater party, seeing how there were only four of them and everything outside was terrible. I am now level 10.

On the return trip my character developed Alcoholism.

Needless to say I had an absolute blast

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 4, 2024

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Azhais posted:

I had the same quest. clearly we approached from different angles because I had to kill 3 synths to get to the raiders

Yeah I meandered my way over from the west, went up to Dark Hollow Pond, then down southeast past the idyllic cult compound to the little trailer home in the woods near the hospital, and then past the hospital, finally arriving at Slocum Joe's. I'd easily believe it's the worst possible path you could take to get there.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Entropic posted:

Just reinstalled this game for the first time in years, and I have no idea what the state of modding is currently. I was just going to load some basic QOL stuff, but it looks like Bethesda's last big update broke f4se so anything dependent on that doesn't work?

And I went to install the big Unofficial Patch mod and it now lists a bunch of DLC requirements I've never heard of. What on earth are "Enclave Remnants", "Halloween Workshop", or "Makeshift Weapon Pack"? None of those show in the DLC page on Steam. I had the season pass back from when the game launched so I thought I had all the DLC unless they've added some recently.

I installed Unofficial Patch mod anyway, and starting a new game it appears that it causes some items to not show up in inventory properly, e.g. the vault suit I start with says "LOOKUP FAILED!" as its name in the inventory, but still appears to be usable and looks fine.

There's a downgrader available that lets you roll back your Fallout 4 installation to the previous update. When you're picking mods you'll just have to make sure you're not downloading any too-up-to-date versions.

That said, nowadays it's possible to fully outsource the modding process by just downloading someone else's curated modlist instead. It's thanks to a program called Wabbajack. You just open it, pick your game, and see if anyone's made a modlist that fits your tastes.

Personally I'm using Life in the Ruins, which is focused on survival, I like it quite a bit. There are others too, each with specific goals in mind as to what they want the game to be.

LitR already has its own downgrader included, so it works just fine with the Next-Gen update. I assume the other modlists have, or are working on, something similar as well.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

DamnGlitch posted:

Is there an actual downgrader? A week ago it was a Viva New Vegas-esque manual install nightmare.

The existing downgrader was apparently updated yesterday to be less cumbersome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I think it's because the concrete foundation of the scrappable Sanctuary houses don't fit any of the standardized SS2 plots, and IIRC often don't even seem to fit the actual base game building parts? If you try to build any kind of post-war house there always seems to be an extra bit of concrete sticking out. Guess the SS2 devs felt that just embracing the garbage gave the settlement a more "naturalistic" feel compared to the off-ness of dealing with the concrete foundations.