Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

FlyinPingu posted:

If you get into building settlements, Place Everywhere is practically required if you want to make cool stuff. :v:

To this I'd add Infinite settlement budgets Snappable junk fences Don't call me settler for stuff that should be in the vanilla game. Don't call me settler has a bunch of options / tools you can ignore, I use it mostly for the auto renaming and deleting old corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

How do you figure that?

The Fallout / Eldescrolls PC modding community is so mature at this point, with incredible complex and detailed mods; and there are so many restrictions on what can't be done on consoles (both technically and in regard to content) that to the layman the comparison between the two invites the conclusion that Bethesda/Microsoft/Sony are doing a half-assed job. They see their $300 console running Battlefield or whatever just as well as their neighbor's $1000 PC and expect that it should be able to do all the same things. Bethesda said "mods for consoles" and nobody read between the lines which said: 90% of the cool stuff you see in other mods won't work.

Rationally, some mods on consoles are better than none, but psychologically if you are expecting something great and receive something only OK the disappointment can feel worse than just being told "it's never going to happen". I think the backlash from console users angry about not getting the same mods as on pc will discourage pc modders from adapting their mods to work on consoles. And since there is no way to have console only mod creators, you have two different groups: pc modders being asked to do extra work, and console players that are increasingly being perceived as ignorant and entitled.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Plotac 75 posted:

Here lies my load order (LOOT sorted, but no merged patch because the scary disclaimer made me uncertain), but I'm not expecting any miracles. It's more confusing than frustrating.

If you've got missing textures it might not be an esp file doing it. There are plenty of texture replacer mods which don't use esp's at all. You should post your full modlist, rather than just the loadorder.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I was lucky enough to read this thread before turning my computer back on last night so I prevented Steam from updating FO4, but while browsing I came across this:

https://www.speedrun.com/Fallout_4/thread/fvo80

I have absolutely no idea if this works or is even safe, but the author claims to have patches that will revert FO4 back to earlier versions.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Looks like F4SE got updated to the current version.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to make a mod for consoles:
  • You have to own FO4 on PC & own a PC that can play it decently well
  • Create a PC mod, test it, bugfix it, etc.
  • Upload your mod to Bethesda.net, then have someone (could be yourself) download it & install it on the console
  • Playtest the mod again on console
  • Fix console only bugs, reupload to bethnet, redownload to console

I've got to imagine that most PC modders don't have FO4 console versions too. So either you spend another big chunk of money on the game+dlc, or the playtesting/bugfixing steps (which often get repeated many times) turn into a nightmare / get ignored. And it will be a real pain for large texture pack creators without good internet. Create a 900mb pack, spend a few hours uploading it to Bethesda.net, spend another half hour downloading it onto the console, realize something is incompatible with the console, spend 10 minutes fixing it, then 3 hours repeating the upload/download process again to see if the fix worked.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

President Ark posted:

it just occured to me that most of the beds in the commonwealth are made out of money because pre-war money = 1 cloth

I was wondering why my current playthrough has been missing cloth, I just realized that the sorting mod I'm using this time moves pre-war money into a "valuables" category so it never gets scrapped. Most of my beds are made from long johns and teddy bears.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Segmentation Fault posted:

Does anyone know of any good survival mods that re-enable quicksaving? No Sleep Till Bedtime just does a dumb hack, I'd like the actual function restored.

That's what I've been using, how is it a dumb hack? You just bind one of your favorites keys to the quicksave item and now you're back to the original functionality: press key, save game.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Apoplexy posted:

Welp, I bit the bullet and got FO4 with everything up to Contraception Workshop [img-Childkiller]. I hate playing Bethesda games vanilla, but I feel like putting a few hours into the vanilla experience is necessary to understand what all needs fixing via modding. That said, I really don't want to waste my drat time playing an unrefined mess. What is absolutely necessary to have for FO4 to not suck?

In addition to what Kimsemus said here are some great UI mods that don't alter the gameplay:

DEF UI gives you a customizable hud so you can shrink down giant HP bars or crippled limb indicators, and expands the inventory management screen to take up more than 1/3 of the screen.

Valdacil's Item Sorting prepends sorting tags to item names for easy inventory management. Used with DEFUI you can get nifty icons instead of tags.

Gold Kit for Color Pipboy removes the scanlines & green tint of the pipboy, which lets you have color coded menus. Used with the above mods you now get colorful icons too.

Updated ICONLIBS2 improves the sorting icons.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Otacon posted:

Settler Management Software gives you some great prompts, telling you when a settler has arrived at any of your settlements, letting you know if you lack beds or water, and giving you options to burn all corpses as well as making unassigned settlers run towards you when you want.

Are you sure it's that mod which is doing it? Don't Call Me Settler does all those things, too.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

The way I understand it the cell reset bug would reset the contents of containers in settlements when it wasn't supposed to. Every so many days since the last time a player was in an area all the containers and enemies reset, except for settlements for obvious reasons. This included containers like ammo boxes, shelves, desks, etcetera and power armor frames comma but not containers that were built by the player. That's why one of the workaround for the cell reset bug was to only store your gear in containers you build yourself and use the mod which lets you build your own power armor frames. Supposedly the bug was exacerbated by any mods that made changes to the world space that settlements were in, it seemed that anything that changed the area of a settlement would change the flags on any containers in the settlement to act like normal containers in a dungeon or other area that resets every so many days, which would wipe out the contents of those containers and replace it with random loot.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Basic Chunnel posted:

New game, and it seemingly affects everything - my XP bar changes but I don't even get notifications for quest completion.

Are you using any UI mods? I know DEF_UI will let you turn off pieces individually, maybe all you are missing is the piece of the ui that alerts you to the level up or quest.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I think I found the most improbable mod ever:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/16087/

This guy de-boobified the assualtron.

That's right, a nexus mod that actually removes breasts from a vanilla asset.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

One of the realistic needs mods for FNV had penalties for overeating/drinking. If you drank to much water you crippled your head.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Does anyone have some survival mode-friendly recommendations? I've been having trouble picking things because some of those overhaul mods are pretty cool, but they're clearly meant for easier difficulties.

For survival mode, I particularly like Arbitration's 2.5X damage by player (default is 0.5) and 3X to player. Makes survival mode a lot more fair in my opinion given weight limits and limited ammo.

I did much the same thing until I found that my 10mm pistol was still oneshotting enemies at level 25, and if I saw a grenade indicator it meant I might as well quickload. I used Rulebreaker to change the damage values to something like 1/5x / 2x and now I don't have to stealth kill every enemy with 1 headshot, and I have a reason to use my lasergun now.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Cernunnos posted:

Scrap Everything is pretty great.

Just be careful. You might end up scrapping a road chunk or part of the Red Rocket Building if you're not.

I've gotten in the habit of picking up & waving around whatever I'm about to scrap to make sure it is what I think it is. Alot of the normally unscrappable items have un-intuitive names and don't highlight properly.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Nope, MO2 works just like MO1. The only non-vanilla stuff in my fallout4 folder is F4SE and ENB.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I wonder what would happen if you set fallout4.exe to read only? Would steam pitch a shitfit and break your install until you let it update the executable, or would it just update everything else and give you an error message.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

To be fair, it's not like dragons play a central role in that game.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I've gotten in the habit of just making a copy of Fallout4.exe, then when Steam stealth updates I can manually rollback in about 30 seconds.

That would be a neat feature for MO to implement, automatically build a library of all the different versions of Fallout4.exe it encounters and let you manually override which one you use with the vfs system.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Captainsalami posted:

Are there any good mods to make it so it doesn't take a million shots to down poo poo on my overleveled run? i'm at like, level 100 and things take aaages to die.

Rulebreaker lets you change damage multipliers on the fly, among other things. You could just keep upping the Player damage multiplier until things start dying fast enough for you.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I've been using Scrap Everything based on the thread's recomendation (months ago), and no problems. It was update just a couple weeks ago to support all DLC, and Spring Cleaning hasn't been updated since January.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I just read all the horizon articles yesterday, so it's still pretty fresh:

You can use a single-use craftable radio to summon a cargo bot npc with unlimited carry weight for 1 minute. At the end of the minute he disappears and his inventory is transferred to a 'scrap container' you previously built in a settlement.

There is also an armor piece (wrist band thingamabob) that has mod slots for which you can craft mods which give you large carry weight bonuses. The lore explanation is that this represents stealthed cargo bots which follow you around and hold your gear. For obvious reasons they were abstracted down to a magical bag of holding.

Anybody know if a quick-start or alternate start mod works well with Horizon? I think I screwed up my save by forgetting to uninstall Rulebreaker before I started. I just want to skip the scripted pre-war Sanctuary & vault 111 instead of spending 20 minutes going through it for the 100th time.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Normally I'd figure yes, but I'm not sure how the changes to the pool of SPECIAL points would work.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Kenlon posted:

I'm pretty sure that I've managed to gently caress up the damage multipliers in my modded survival game - it's supposed to be 4x/4x, but enemies are way too bullet-spongy still while I die from bullets that wander anywhere near me.

Is there a way to use FO4Edit to see what I've actually got? I'm not sure what fields I should be looking at.

I would grab something like Rulebreaker or use the console to check / set the player and NPC damage multipliers in game. That way you can be sure what they are.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Phrosphor posted:

I think I am finally ready to go and hit up the auto plant in Horizon. It is crazy that I have spent more than an in game week scavenging before I am at a point where I think I can do one of the first quests in the game. I think I need to get it done now so I can unlock Preston as a companion, Cogsworth just doesn't do a lot of damage and gets in the way all the time. I am even planning my attack which is something I have never even though about in fallout, up through the sewers so I don't get caught in a big firefight up front or in that first big room.

If you are thinking about playing again, Horizon with the True Weather and NAC is amazing. I still jump during thunderstorms sometimes because of how crazy it can sound.

My only frustration with it is some of the crafting requirements are ridiculously specific. Antibiotics need Flint Corn, I cannot find this Flint Corn. I can make both medicinal and herbal antibiotics but both recipes require Flint Corn. I have corn, both bought and grown but it isn't the right type! No idea where to find it because it is a modded item.

I'm at about the same place, I had to turn off the NAC radioactive weathers, though. Getting hit with 10 rads every couple of seconds while you are two minutes away from shelter at a dead run is game ending. I found some flint corn very early, there is every wild variety of crop except for tatos and razorgrain in the empty areas of the map north and west of Sanctuary. With the Survival 1 perk you can plant regular crops using the wild varieties and some fertilizer, I think you are supposed to bootstrap yourself up to full farming using those wild crops. They also seem to respawn every few days even without cell resets, not sure if this is a Horizon feature or not.

Also really liking the combat rebalance. I never bothered to use a melee weapon in Fallout 4 before, now with the scarce and expensive ammo combined with the relatively low damage of vermin & pipe weapons I can run around in tempered raider armor with a machete and only use my guns on raiders with bolt action or automatic weapons.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

If you don't mind spending a few minutes cleaning up after an attack Scrap Everything let's you scrap corpses manually, and I think there are a few other mods which let you do the same thing.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Eraflure posted:

So I'm trying out Horizon and I don't have any of the ammo trouble I hear everyone talking about. Between the vault 111 freebies, the 50 fusion cells Garvey gives and every raider giving me ammo, I'm pretty much set for the next levels. I don't have any other overhaul/loot modification installed, am I just missing something here? I'm just not feeling the super hardcore vibe. It's a shame because the mod looks promising.

Maybe post your load order; I've been avoiding using guns whenever practical and relying on melee weapons to save ammo, and after Corvega I was +30 .38 and -80 10mm, and only my chestpiece & one leg of my power armor still unbroken. I'm level 8 right now and have just finished Danse's intro quest, and I've only got about 150 .38, 100 10mm, and 250 fusion cells saved up.

It's interesting how the rebalance has changed my thinking; since I can make medicated bandages relatively cheaply, whenever I come up against an enemy I try and figure out if the extra damage I'll take charging into melee is less expensive to heal than the 4 or 5 bullets I'd spend shooting him at range. For raiders I've found the answer is usually yes, unless they have an automatic weapon.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

aniviron posted:

Chiming in to add that I also really liked weapon degradation. I think it'd be quite a bit of work to get it to feel like a normal part of the game in FO4 instead of tacked on- you'd need to have vendors that could repair (good luck getting the voice lines), you'd need to figure out how to add it to the perk list, you'd probably want to make the different weapon mods affect weapon degradation rate, you'd need to set up leveled lists to determine what condition every gun you find is in, and you'd have to add mod support for all the other weapon mods out there, etc. I did love weapon and armor repair as a system in FO3/NV, worked a lot better than Morrowind/Oblivion where they cribbed it from initially.

I think it could work pretty well within the existing weapon mod system. Just spitballing:

Have 4 uncraftable variants of each weapon part, ex:
10mm heavy receiver
10mm heavy receiver (dirty)
10mm heavy receiver (damaged)
10mm heavy receiver (broken)

Every time you fire a weapon there is a very small chance a piece will degrade to the next worst variant.

Dirty variants have no penalties, but increase the chance of the part degrading even further.
Damaged variants have a slight penalty related to whatever modifiers you normally get from that part, making it about as useful as the next lowest part in that category.
Broken variants have a severe penalty that makes the weapon almost unusable (broken magazine sets clip size to 1, broken receivers set fire rate to 25%, etc.)

Repairing weapons could be done at a new workbench, or in the field with craftable consumeables. A cheap "cleaning kit" replaces all the dirty parts on your currently equipped weapon with the clean variant, a more expensive "repair kit" replaces damaged and broken pieces too. A new workbench could use a script to efficiently repair all guns of the same type at once & calculate how much steel/wood/screws/electronics/crystals/etc. it would cost, sort of like how Horizon's revamped doctor system has you only pay for the healing you need.

You could even script enemies to have their weapons degraded on death, or when they spawn.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Sintax posted:

Anyone who tried Horizon, does it hold up for a whole playthrough? Might give it a go, but I'm not looking for painful gameplay that ends up being more annoying than fun. Any conflicts with other mods?

I've been playing for quite a while and only now just hit level 15. Definitely slowsdown the leveling and forces you to be careful not to rush into an area unprepared. The no health regeneration & bumped up health pool turn combat from a battlefield shooter into a resource management game. Ammo & health packs are expensive even later in the game, I invested thousands of caps into the settlement system before I got a sustainable source of rad free water & adhesive. It will conflict with most bog overhaul mods but there are some with patches.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Raygereio posted:

An interesting update for the Creation Kit just dropped.

I think they just replaced the 255 plugin limit with a 4350 one.

I hope the new Nexus Mod Organizer drops soon, I seriously doubt the MO2 beta I've been using will get forked to handle new file types / limits.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Capn Beeb posted:

I reinstalled last night and got a handful of mods, and I'm on a minty fresh install of both Mod Organizer 2.0.7 as well as LOOT, but none of my mods are actually activating. LOOT won't sort my list, and spits out an error code of 3221225477, and Mod Organizer as well won't sort my mods.

I can boot into the game and my choices for customizing my character are extremely limited. I can't even change my hair.

What did I gently caress up?

Edit:

Yep, my \data\ folder is pristine and free of mods. I thought I pointed Mod Organizer to the right directory to install them correctly but apparently I didn't.

Are you getting any errors about writing to your plugin file? Maybe MO doesn't have permissions to change it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Paid Steam mods Complaints:

1. Mostly reskinned weapon mods
2. Buggy mods with no Q/A
3. Similar mods available for free elsewhere

Creation Club Complaints:

1. Mostly reskinned weapon/armor mods
2. Buggy mods with no Q/A
3. Similar mods available for free elsewhere

Ah! Progress.

Maybe after another 2 iterations over the course of 5 years they will create a platform people will actually use.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I will say that one big difference between Valve's paid mod fiasco and this one is Bethesda has alot less to lose. Valve tried to partially monetize an existing modding platform & ended up angering both content consumers and content creators, which risked affecting their much larger & more profitable userbase of hat buyers and backlog junkies; so they did damage control & shut it down.

Bethesda doesn't care about losing face with potential customers becuase what are they going to do, NOT buy TESVI ? Doubftful. It's alot easier to avoid Steam and buy all your game keys from Amazon / GMG / Origin / etc. than to boycott all games from an entire publisher/developer. My guess is that they'll keep running this Creators Club long after it's obviously dead, just to avoid the obvious headline reminding everyone that it existed in the first place.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

This is the second wave, this is their second attempt at paid mods, the first attempt was also poo poo for all the same reasons.

Yeah, after Valve / Bethesda Skyrim paid mods debacle they needed to make a really good first impression. Ideally what they should have done is used one or more well known modders to make a few small-medium sized quest mods & charged half of what they really want for them. If the modders are getting paid a wage during development (or a lump sum at the end) then you can charge whatever you want for the final product. Take a loss in the short term, but gets people in the door & using your platform, this is like Business 101.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Rabidredneck posted:

Oh and guess what?

ALL THE CC MODS HAVE BEEN DOWNLOADED TO YOUR SYSTEM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcldh21R40M&t=526s

So YEA most people on that thread are really hoping this is a screwup and not a thing that's gonna be happening, because if this happens every time it updates...

I'm 100% positive this is a screwup. There's no way Valve is going to let Bethesda keep using it's servers to deliver new content unless it gets paid, and that is going to wipe out their CC profits unless they have a huge adoption rate.

If the CC takes off like Bethesda is hoping, we are talking hundreds or thousands of mods over the next 2-4 years. Forcing players to download all the assets for them would require 10's or 100's of gigabytes of storage. You'll lose all you players in any country where ISP's have data limits as well as anybody with limited storage space (whether from an inexpensive computer, SSD, or console). Most people will be uninstalling FO4 rather than trying to figure out how to stop automatic updates & use f4se.exe to launch the game, and then they will have no vector to advertise new CC content to those players at all.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Just when I thought it couldn't get any scummier.

Actually this is probably a better system for modders. From what I recall of Valve's model you had to get past a certain threshold of sales before you saw a penny. At least this way modders are getting paid regardless, even if the possibility of getting rich off creating the next must-have mod is gone.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Shhh! If they hear you they'll add in game micro-transaction advertisements just to spite us.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Does the CC terms of service allow for hosted mods to required third party software like F4SE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Raygereio posted:

I mean if a company says the Season Pass gives you access to 6 DLCs and they then release a 7th. Whelp, you're not getting that DLC number 7 unless you pay extra for it.

Ubisoft did exactly this with Anno 2205. They put out the pre-planned number of DLC's, then decided to make another one & not give it season pass owners. There was a huge shitstorm and they changed their minds.