Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone bought a new Toyota in Canada and drove it back to the US? The exchange rate is silly right now and the equivalent of 20% off. You also get neato Canada only options. I mention Toyota because they still provide warranty in both countries and the cars are not made less safe for sale in Canada. The Toronto dealer I called said he couldn't keep new cars in stock.

It looks like Toyota priced them at the old exchange rate and has not adjusted them because of being a global behemoth. They probably have an exchange rate hedge or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I looked into this but you still have to prove to the Feds that it's identical. Even if the manufacturer includes a letter saying it is, there's no guarantee that it will be accepted for Federalization.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Would it be any different for used cars?

I live near the line on the highway which becomes I-15 and I see trailers loaded up with used vehicles (mostly light trucks and SUVs) literally every day. It can't be too difficult, can it?

E- Going the other way it's pretty simple but most US dealers within a few hundred miles of the border refuse to sell new cars to Canadians. That's interesting if it's no problem going the other way.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 10, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
US dealers are prohibited from selling new cars to Canadians by their franchise agreements, but Toyota itself just says use a broker to circumvent the rule. Not sure if this same rule applies to Canadian dealers.

The only reason I brought this up is a used dealer near me has used Toyotas with the miles it is from Canada for sale for low prices and all of his cars carfax from Ontario. I personally have no problem flying to Canada and cutting his cut out. Just wanted to know how much pain I am in for. I guess I can just register it in Canada forever with some goons address worst case.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You will not be allowed to export a vehicle from Canada to the US. If you attempt to the RCMP will ride in like Gandalf and the Riders of Rohan at Helms Deep and arrest you for attempting to smuggle out neato Canada-only options.

Seriously though, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Likely you'll have to register it temporarily up here, then drive it home, then get a safety done there, then register it in your home state. You may also be required to change out the speedo, which will be an added cost to take into consideration.

E: I wish I could get a regular cab Tacoma here in Canada. Toyota simply doesn't sell them and I was actually looking into importing one from the US when my FJ45 came up for sale on kijiji and I only had enough money for one truck.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 10, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Why would he have to change the speedo? Dual scale isn't acceptable? Or does the odometer need to be imperial?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The speedo (digital part) can be switched over trivially same with odo. A high volume Canuck Toyota dealer should be able to answer all these questions with authority with the dollar difference. If it is easy to do you should be able to call and make a deal on the phone.

everdave fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 10, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Only km/h speedos are required in the U.S., that is not a problem at all and they are all dual anyway. The change will be to add a light that says "BRAKE" on it instead of just the symbol. Everything else should be the same in both countries now. I presume the Canadian Corolla comes with an RFID anti-theft key.

Usually you go through a "registered importer" aka broker to bring them into the U.S.

Somebody else asked this question recently too, wonder if they went through.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The process is much simpler for newer cars. I am not trying to import some death trap. If the car has the right door sticker you just fill out a form. If not you get Toyota to send you a letter with the cars vin that says this is the same poo poo we sell in the USA.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Toyota has informed all Toyota dealers in Canada to not to sell to US citizens without a Canadian home address. Bastards. Give me ma cheap driving appliances so I can buy stupid unreliable fun cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Not surprising. They will make more money selling it in the U.S. it sounds like.

• Locked thread