Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Stymie posted:

they're owning less and less every year as demonstrated by both sales and their stock price but go ahead and keep trolling

triple sulk posted:

i've said numerous times before that the only thing that keeps me tied in any way to ios at this point is imessage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cremnob posted:

they dont actually get uninstalled, it basically just hides the icons

the recovery process involves finding them on the app store so unless they did some weird hack where "buying" a stock app unlocks it from where they hid it they really are gone. they also tell you how much disk space trashing all their apps will gain you (150MB)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

yesterday i had to update my credit card info for itunes and then i couldn't upgrade my icloud storage until i rebooted my phone. what a loving fail piece of poo poo the iphone is.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i guess apple pay too but like three places i regularly go to actually take it

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

they dont actually get uninstalled, it basically just hides the icons

where did you hear this

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the docs i read were talking about the apps taking space and having to redownload from 'the cloud', so i think they actually get uninstalled

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

haveblue posted:

the recovery process involves finding them on the app store so unless they did some weird hack where "buying" a stock app unlocks it from where they hid it they really are gone. they also tell you how much disk space trashing all their apps will gain you (150MB)

saw some tweets saying it doesnt actually uninstall them, its kinda like uninstalling internet explorer in windows

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

cremnob posted:

oh my god

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

cremnob posted:

saw some tweets saying it doesnt actually uninstall them, its kinda like uninstalling internet explorer in windows
ah, he saw some tweets. never mind, wrap it up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cremnob posted:

who wrote these tweets? because according to the apple support doc they do get fully deleted and must be redownloaded

it's true that some of them have special integration but apple seems to have decided that doesn't matter so deleting the apps will break those system-wide services (carplay, weather and stock widgets, watch pairing). the only exception on that page is contacts which is was apparently a shell over an OS-level database all along

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

it's true that some of them have special integration but apple seems to have decided that doesn't matter so deleting the apps will break those system-wide services (carplay, weather and stock widgets, watch pairing). the only exception on that page is contacts which is was apparently a shell over an OS-level database all along

lmao

winning move right there. but wait, of course there's a way to select a new default from third party apps that handle the same content type right? right? bueller?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

infernal machines posted:

lmao

winning move right there. but wait, of course there's a way to select a new default from third party apps that handle the same content type right? right? bueller?

lmao! LMAO!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lmao

back in The Jobs Days, this wasn't an issue because the apple app was always the best choice. now... not so much

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

cremnob posted:

internet explorer had components the system needed. it's possible some apps do too.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they would have to stay on the disk for a full reset to work correctly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cremnob posted:

uninstalling internet explorer does uninstall internet explorer. it doesnt uninstall the windows html engine which is used by IE and many other applications.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

lmao

I don't really know why they even made this an option. everyone was perfectly fine with shoving them into a folder which you could then ignore for good. this is exactly the sort of giving users enough rope to hang themselves that apple is supposed to make unnecessary

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Last Chance posted:

lmao! LMAO!

Nice meltdown you loving mentally ill freak

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

honestly these are good improvements

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

this is exactly the sort of giving users enough rope to hang themselves that apple is supposed to make unnecessary

yes. this is an objectively bad decision, because it allows users to break the platform.

remember how jailbreaking was bad because it bypassed built in restrictions and allowed you to compromise the user experience? well now you can do that entirely by accident with full 1st party support

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

whoops grandma long tapped and accidentally deleted mail.app and safari and itunes, and welp, she doesn't have a computer to janitor this bullshit, because that why we got her the ipad in the first place

thanks apple

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you cant shuffle your downloaded music section in new apple music ios yet. not cool

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

who the gently caress uses apple music

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

whoops grandma long tapped and accidentally deleted mail.app and safari and itunes, and welp, she doesn't have a computer to janitor this bullshit, because that why we got her the ipad in the first place

thanks apple

grandma go into the app store and click the cloud next to mail, safari and itunes

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

thanks apple

omg listen to all these edge cases and bitching from people who don't like change

oh no Apple changed a thing! I am mad!!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

My Linux Rig posted:

omg listen to all these edge cases and bitching from people who don't like change

oh no Apple changed a thing! I am mad!!

You're mad

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
ITT the iAilure White KNight Brigade fall on their swords for some reason, probs bc they took their brain drugs in the wrong order or something

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
wait which direction do i rub with this magnet

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

creationist believer posted:

grandma go into the app store and click the cloud next to mail, safari and itunes
id hope that you could make a link to the app like normal apps and just send that via text/imessage to someone if needed

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

GameCube posted:

who the gently caress uses apple music

15 million people

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
wow that's a lot of loving idiots.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shaggar posted:

wow that's a lot of loving idiots.

23 million ppl tune in to watch big bang theory hehe :troll: bazinga YOSPOS BITCH!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

grandmas with ipads: an edge case

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

creationist believer posted:

probably can prevent that in the restrictions section, like how app deleting is preventable now

grandmas with ipads: an edge case

i want to give one to my grandma but everyone in the family makes it sound like she'll be scared to use one

Smythe posted:

23 million ppl tune in to watch big bang theory hehe :troll: bazinga YOSPOS BITCH!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

going to get my grandparents an iPad and drag their forever malware-ridden desktop down the road with a big truck yeehaw

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
my grandparents are loving dead, Bitch. :thurman:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

(a compact economy car, to the electronics recycling center)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Smythe posted:

my grandparents are loving dead, Bitch. :thurman:

mostly same :(

but grandma is still here and she is fiery in her old age

i should call her soon since she loves to talk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the best thing you could say to someone afraid to use an iPad was "you couldn't break it if you tried"

that is no longer true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

the best thing you could say to someone afraid to use an iPad was "you couldn't break it if you tried"

that is no longer true

now you have to janitor everything and treat olds like babbies with parental restrictions

• Locked thread