Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
By request in the Season 2 thread, here's a Season 3 thread!

S3 was set to premiere tonight, (6/12), but since the first episode allegedly "features" a nightclub shooting, and less than 24 hours before hand was the Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, it's been delayed to a later (unknown) date due to the obviously poor timing. Apparently the first episode aired as a "sneak peak" in some markets.

:siren: New premiere date! This Sunday, June 19th. :siren:

Plot from Wikipedia:

quote:

After a global viral pandemic wipes out over 80% of the world's population, the crew (consisting of 218 men and women) of a lone unaffected U.S. Navy Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer, the fictional USS Nathan James (DDG-151), must try to find a cure, stop the virus, and save humanity.

It started off with a pretty generic "oh no, virus apocalypse" theme, but they spun that on it's head in Season 2 by already finding a working cure and having widespread production of it. Season 3 them fighting a new threat: a terrorist organization made up of the naturally immune who feel that curing people is against God, and stuff.

If there's anything else to add to the OP, let me know!

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man I just wanted to watch a good hate watch summer show since dominion was cancelled and they delay it. They're letting the terrorists win!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
This show is basically Star Trek: The Original Series with boats instead of starboats. It's less awful than one might expect, despite being so Murica it hurts. (Sometimes, it hurts good.)

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Did Rhona Mitra leave the show? I haven't seen her in any of the trailers.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Did Rhona Mitra leave the show? I haven't seen her in any of the trailers.

They're probably just trying to keep the mystery of the cliffhanger from last year's finale.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kesper North posted:

This show is basically Star Trek: The Original Series with boats instead of starboats. It's less awful than one might expect, despite being so Murica it hurts. (Sometimes, it hurts good.)
I never watched any Star Trek but this is a rad enough action/adventure show on its own merits. Honestly this show is good, not guilty pleasure good, just good. Not the kind that would make you forget about amazing TV but yeah.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yo wtf I can't watch this even today?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Its somehow available via the torrent sites so someone must have shown it.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

ukle posted:

It aired like 2 weeks ago; I have no clue what TNT's scheduling is doing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ukle posted:

Roseo posted:

It aired like 2 weeks ago; I have no clue what TNT's scheduling is doing.

Yeaaaapp watchin it now

lol at the opener, they just ripped that bandaid off. Poochie was needed on his home planet. And for that, the forthcoming nature of the show is why I like it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I like how this show is willing to change as the story progresses. One of the (many) failings of LOST was how it tried to hold onto that 'we just got on the island have wtf is even happening?' feel from season one for basically it's entire run. If this show was still in 'were one ship with limited supplies trying to scrap by as we figure out what happened' mode from season one, it would be bad.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

They're also not afraid to kill people. In the back of my head I'm always wondering if someone might get killed when they go out because unlike other shows, people actually do. And not just redshirts either.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So do we need spoilers to talk about this since it hasn't aired in the US? What are the rules on that?

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

From the rules:

quote:

SPOILER RULES: Are you talking about something that's already aired in an episode on the East Coast? Then you don't need spoiler tags. Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

So I would say yes, needs spoiler tags.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

But it aired already didn't it? Like a couple weeks ago or something?

They're also not afraid to kill people. In the back of my head I'm always wondering if someone might get killed when they go out because unlike other shows, people actually do. And not just redshirts either.
Yea man, very little plot armor makes for exciting television. Gotta have some though to make a good story, but too much or too little is bad.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

I have no idea where people are getting this info that it aired weeks ago. The premier was the 12th, which was delayed because of the shooting in Orlando. Does anyone have like, a link or something to a listing for it being aired? Even the :filez: sites list the upload dates as only yesterday.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Did they pull it from the premiere time slot but forgot to pull it from the repeat 3 hours later, like Spike did with an episode of Bar Rescue once upon a time?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The Season 3 premiere was on June 5th here in Norcal, and it looks like some other places as well.

Basically, Cap'n McSteamboat goes to Hong Kong from his government job with President Duck Phillips in KC and Cap'n Jayne and the Firefly is in the Tonkin Gulf and there is a nightclub shootout in Hanoi or Thailand or something.

On June 12th they just showed last seasons finale as the placeholder.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 14, 2016

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Keyser S0ze posted:

The Season 3 premiere was on June 5th here in Norcal, and it looks like some other places as well.

Basically, Cap'n McSteamboat goes to Hong Kong from his government job with President Duck Phillips in KC and Cap'n Jayne and the Firefly is in the Tonkin Gulf and there is a nightclub shootout in Hanoi or Thailand or something.

On June 12th they just showed last seasons finale as the placeholder.

Yeah, but 5/30 in Wisconsin. Explains why I was so confused when it came up on my DVR.

Edit: aired at 11:30 at night for some reason with no fanfare. Maybe they had to fill time or wanted to check buzz on people who died or something. Corroboration:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10898258

Roseo fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jun 15, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I have no idea where people are getting this info that it aired weeks ago. The premier was the 12th, which was delayed because of the shooting in Orlando. Does anyone have like, a link or something to a listing for it being aired? Even the :filez: sites list the upload dates as only yesterday.

You should get better :filez: sites.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I just caught up on this, the best bad show, and it didn't disappoint. S3 has hit the ground running.
Someone please mention when it actually airs so that we can stop the spoilers.

Khablam posted:

The flying punch and clothesline during the fight scene made the episode.

The series is back delivering random wrestling moves. Spot Slatterly pulling off a Rock bottom lol

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I've missed this show so much. Here's hoping it keeps up the pace.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Octy posted:

I've missed this show so much. Here's hoping it keeps up the pace.

Since the air date is sorta wacky I'll just say this: They're not loving around.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
This show resolves more plotlines in two episodes than most shows do in a season.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Can't wait for season 3 to kick off, this show is so god drat bad it's good. That said, if we don't get a dozen heroic salutes towards the camera by the end of episode 1, I'll be sorely disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugtjQQIKg5M&t=27s

:toot:

Batham fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Jun 17, 2016

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
We are already 2 episodes deep.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It's now going to start airing on June 19.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
As the OP of the Season 2 thread, thanks to :filez:, I can conform that this show still rocks like an ice cold cheap beer on a hot summer day.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 18, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

One thing that surprised me is that they're incredibly consistent with what language the different Asian characters speak such that you can figure out where the bad guys are from if you can recognize it.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

This show is pure cheese.

Glad it's back

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

American cheese :patriot:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Once you get past the "HOORAH, AMERICCA, gently caress YEAH" poo poo suddenly this show becomes amazing in a way that it really has no right to be

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McSpanky posted:

American cheese :patriot:

Delivered by a cruise missile covered in mayo. :911:

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Once you get past the "HOORAH, AMERICCA, gently caress YEAH" poo poo suddenly this show becomes amazing in a way that it really has no right to be

What? No, that's part of what makes it so good. I mean, awful. I mean so awful it's good.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

It's mostly star trek but with the navy and (you know) on earth. All the away team, giving it all she's got, prime directive goodness you could want but in a totally non-nerd way.

:murica:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Batham posted:

What? No, that's part of what makes it so good. I mean, awful. I mean so awful it's good.

See I'd have agreed with this in season 1. Season 2 shed quite a bit of that. Season 3 has become a full blown legit good show.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It's good so far but I still miss Rhona Mitra and what's his name... Tex

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
TEX! Oh man, i forgot all about Tex!

I now like to imagine he's got a sweet little ranch with some Alpacas.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I like how Aussie SAS SEAL SPECIAL OPS DUDE is seemingly just doing his own thing and knows insane fight moves to keep up with the Asian dude he fights who of course knows martial arts because why wouldn't he, right guys? I also like how all the Navy people who spend most of their time on the ship seemingly can keep up with infantry tactics-wise.

All that said it's a fun show. The battle and fight scenes are exciting, and the acting is decent, and they've got a solid foundation upon which to build the show in the book on which the show is based (although, having not read the entire book, I don't know if the show has surpassed the book's plotting a la GoT).

TNT is no HBO or anything when it comes to production quality, writing and acting, but they produce good shows. I'm keeping an eye on Animal Kingdom as well because I like Scott Speedman (so does TNT, apparently), unsure if there's a thread on that one where I can read Australian goons lamenting that yet another foreign TV series or show was remade and Americanized.

ne: I have never figured out if bearded blond dude is a Marine or a SEAL? Does anyone know/remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

The ending this week was real weird. Like, you think its going to be all dramatic but instead they just record a 10 second video and broadcast it worldwide somehow?

• Locked thread