Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I like how Aussie SAS SEAL SPECIAL OPS DUDE is seemingly just doing his own thing and knows insane fight moves to keep up with the Asian dude he fights who of course knows martial arts because why wouldn't he, right guys? I also like how all the Navy people who spend most of their time on the ship seemingly can keep up with infantry tactics-wise.

All that said it's a fun show. The battle and fight scenes are exciting, and the acting is decent, and they've got a solid foundation upon which to build the show in the book on which the show is based (although, having not read the entire book, I don't know if the show has surpassed the book's plotting a la GoT).

TNT is no HBO or anything when it comes to production quality, writing and acting, but they produce good shows. I'm keeping an eye on Animal Kingdom as well because I like Scott Speedman (so does TNT, apparently), unsure if there's a thread on that one where I can read Australian goons lamenting that yet another foreign TV series or show was remade and Americanized.

ne: I have never figured out if bearded blond dude is a Marine or a SEAL? Does anyone know/remember?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TEAH SYAG posted:

Yeah, they murdered down/off-screened/'sploded what I'm assuming to be a upper-mid level actor salary budget cut.

The radiation drama outside the nuclear power generation plant was hilarious. Unless containment was blown open like Chernobyl with rods and coriuim boiling on the ground, yeah, it's pretty drat unlikely casual exposure within the time period would have been fatal. I guess it worked for the writers.

If the radiation was that bad, why park a helicopter there, that's my big question for the writers. Then after they get to the ship, no mention of the radiation that I remember, it's all good now!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ripped Aussie SEAL is my favorite part of the show honestly. Dude has a menacing resting bitch face and kicks rear end.

I looked him up on IMDB, and apparently he is an expert martial artist in real life. He was also featured on something called Fight Science (I think I've seen it, but I don't remember or know if it was a single special or a series).

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Oh God. Deadliest Warrior was so bad.

I remember watching fight science. Good on Aussie SEAL. Dude rules, and it makes sense they'd get a real martial artist to play him. I guess they could have used a body double, which is what I had thought initially seeing him do all those crazy kicks with perfect form.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Haha the Spetnaz episode was awesome!

What? The red-head guy? I don't see him as a main character, maybe a supporting character. Are you thinking of Lt. Burk? That guy is awful and they've made him like the de facto XO or something and I never liked his character.

Granderson is the next in line, they made a big deal out of the scene where she was commanding the bridge in the absence of Slattery and XO Garnett when Burk's brother or best friend or something had seniority. I like Burk, I don't dislike him nearly as much as I dislike Miller. I never liked his character actually.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Oh, you know, fledgling post-plague government and all.

I think they are reaching with having that reporter as some kind of antagonist, the writing for that part is poo poo in my opinion. The reporter has no qualms about reporting on sensitive poo poo just because he seems to hate the president for really no reason. Bunch of Navy dudes captured and America's only missile destroyer is in the middle of a minefield looking for the island where the prisoners are held? gently caress yeah, I'ma report that poo poo, who cares who gets killed because the president objectively sucks and I have no reason to exist other than to be an unnecessary antagonistic character, as if there weren't enough already for gently caress's sake.

As to the president, I was kind of on the fence about him myself since the show has been portraying him as weak and inexperienced somewhat, then he gave those senators or governors or whatever they were, the what-for and told them to shut the gently caress up, mind their business and sit the gently caress down while he handles poo poo. He finally showed a little bit of spine in that scene. And while the show really has been portraying him as weak, I still think that dumb reporter has no real concrete reason to back up essentially trying to sabotage the new United States and its president by being a straight-up dick for no other reason than the fact that he can and why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

IRQ posted:

What happened to scruffy mercenary guy, I want to say he was called Tex?

I think I remember him leaving at the end of last season to find his family or something. Did they just lose a lot of contract negotiations over the break or what?

I could be wrong, but since he was also in Suits, this may have been at the same time and he was focusing on one show. That said, he was a more central character in TLS than in Suits, so unless USA was paying him more to have a minor role, he must have been working on another project too.

• Locked thread