Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kesper North posted:

This show is basically Star Trek: The Original Series with boats instead of starboats. It's less awful than one might expect, despite being so Murica it hurts. (Sometimes, it hurts good.)
I never watched any Star Trek but this is a rad enough action/adventure show on its own merits. Honestly this show is good, not guilty pleasure good, just good. Not the kind that would make you forget about amazing TV but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I mean Eric Dane is not gonna win any Emmys but the video speech to his children was pretty much one take and pretty drat excellent in my opinion.

Also I don't know if it's just a byproduct of the navy boat/sub drama but there is excellent as hell tension during the action sequences involving the destroyer and even in the down time the characters are maybe familiar enough to me after 3 years that I care about most of the crew.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The younger Burk is fine because he's been doing cool away team stuff for like 3 seasons now.

The older one is kinda just there. Like to fill in some gaps and show that other servicemen have come back after they cured America and all that. He only really existed in the premiere and kinda just floated away after Chandler comes back and sits him out. At least I'm glad he's not doing some weird stupid subplot where he's betraying everyone from within. He just takes it and goes back to his old job after complaining to it to his younger brother. You can see though a few times he and Granderson basically have to just get over it and help each other out because they're both in awkward positions.

Also yeah Miller is dopey but I'm kinda glad they have him cause you can tell he clearly isn't a supermodel actor but they give him a decent amount of material where he's competent at what he does. Even the new kid this season (Diaz?) looks like he got picked because of his casting photo or something.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Haha oh man I didn't even realize that was the kid.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

jfood posted:

The correct, if somewhat unpalatable term, is 'warlords'.
Michner is the only actual elected official which is why he's still officially president of the whole thing but yeah, the others are basically warlords putting on fancy titles for an air of legitimacy to the people in their districts. Would be interesting to see where the show goes with the idea but I would have the assume we aren't gonna get some 3+ way civil war considering these people grew up in a time where the country was basically whole so they're probably actually working towards actually bringing everything back up to make the country somewhat whole again. Would be more interesting to see the domestic situation to be honest but I guess you can't send warships inland.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

drat, that machete fight cut between the other one was brutal as gently caress.

Also creative use of brute force is something that is something the show does well. Target your own helo to get an angle on the enemy. Brings new meaning to the phrase "danger close".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Of course it couldn't completely end well with the Japanese captain steering the ship out of his own minefield and his son being born.

I guess it'll be interesting to see where St. Louis goes now that Duck Phillips is dead.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Tex is love, Tex is life

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

So I'm curious how exactly they are gonna stop Peng from killing off non-Chinese Asians (classic Chinese racism) and then also finding time to come back to St. Louis to gently caress up some White House moles by the end of the season.

Oh and also to fix the green mist problem if possible.

Also this show was renewed for a 4th season. Yay.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Good to know that the regional powers showing up weren't just set dressing and they're actually playing a bigger part in post-plague America especially by taking control of the office of the POTUS and turning him into a puppet. That's something I wasn't actually expecting to see.

That or an American warship being sunk on an American show to be honest.

This season is amazing. Can't wait for Tex to come back though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Apparently if federalism is so bad you just need to stop complaining about the 2nd Amendment being taken away and instead just invent a deadly, contagious virus that kills 300 million Americans.

Easy peasy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Or that the leaders leaked all that info about him letting his son in through the quarantine zone would probably trigger him to become suicidal. Which is almost basically killing him by making him susceptible to killing himself.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

For what amounts to a dumb summer show, they decide to do a story about Sinocentric racism and also broke America apart because democracy is lovely and Americans are power hungry SOBs who hate one another and would rather kill federalism to get a leg up one another.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

I was actually a little disappointed that Peng just turned out to be a generic mustache twirling villain. I don't entirely understand what his motivation was for destroying the Japanese people and culture.

Also, very dissapointed that the writers missed an opportunity for Slatery to say "We're the last ship."
As a Chinese person I can tell you that a lot of the time most Chinese people see their culture as the best and look down on other East Asian cultures (who spawned off from them, making them inferior copies), sometimes to the point of outright racism.

I mean one poster above isn't wrong that Peng was basically Chinese Hitler in some respects.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

"He may be Navy, but he's badass."

"Shut up."

:laffo:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Do those missiles that struck the Henan actually exist? Like as the show described they just hovered in altitude until they are told their targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Locked thread