Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
This stream is the worst thing, no one is wall running, its disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Volcanic Vents posted:

Came here to say the same thing! No wallrunning, people engaging in the middle of open fields, Titans strolling around leisurely with unused boost, it was frustrating to watch!

Clearly a bunch of non-titanfall players. I don't really know if we were supposed to know who those players were but none of them seemed that good. What a waste.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mordja posted:

Wait, you mean you've never heard of Bl00dSniper69? :confused:

Wait how did you know my nickname? Have you been talking to my ex?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Volcanic Vents posted:

With a name like "TitanfallLegends," you'd think at least that dude would have gotten on a wall, buuut...

On the second map there was like a big tower and a small building with a field separating it. And in the field was just a propped up slanted wall that literally only exists for wall running, and not a single person used it they all just hung out in the field right next to it the whole game. I am losing my mind over here.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

limited posted:

Might as well strip out the Titanfall references and replace them with basically any game this year.

Except for Last Guardian. That's been in development hell for so long, there's no doubt it's going to be poo poo.

Agreed

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Antoine Silvere posted:

please do troll the Titanfall 2 thread

Well if you insist. Titanfall 2 more like tit and fail ahaahaha

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Antoine Silvere posted:

I can't believe I have been owned, in my own thread

Ball was in your court and look at you, you're a mess. Maybe you should have tried wallrunning.

edit: What the gently caress am I doing. I am so bored waiting for TF2

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

Just found out via a Facebook post that my friend is actually a writer for this game. That's right, a writer for Titanfall...

He gave me PS4 code to start playing today, but I haven't touched my PS4 in a while. I assume this means I need to have PS+?

I think its best you just pm me the code, less it go to waste and all.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

SUNKOS posted:

To be fair the maps really don't seem designed to facilitate wall running, which is bizarre given how integral the mechanic is to the game itself. The original Titanfall had levels that were incredibly easy to wall run through but everything we've seen of the sequel so far has way too many wide open spaces and fields, so there's nothing to actually wall run on in the first place, let alone chain together to build up some decent speed.

I think the only exception is the one city-ish map that's like a miniature Angel City in some kind of broken holo room, but even then there aren't that many buildings and they're spaced so far apart that chaining wall runs isn't as easy or intuitive as it was in the first game. I'm wondering if it's a deliberate design choice to lower the skill ceiling for the game, so new players don't have to deal with vets zooming around chaining wall runs everywhere? It's disappointing because the first game was close to perfect.

What maps have you been looking at?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Qmass posted:

So this is going to be DOA on PC right ? No test to build hype if its good and battlefield 1 is going to dominate on release... Such a cool concept that is going to waste on PC :(

I doubt it will be DOA but it might not live long, but I'm hopeful something will happen and it will stay alive for a while. God TF1 was so good.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

dreffen posted:

Let me tell you about the mistakes I've already made.

If it gets you to play games with us again make all the mistakes you want baby.

Edit: This applies to an2 as well.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Carecat posted:

Ability and appearance are tied together? Why? It's not like the guy with the robo arm looks like he is stealthy.

Though in some ways it sucks, its good in another because it means you know how to engage someone once you see who they are.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hopefully we can all customize our waifu titans.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Snuffman posted:

Haven't watched any recent videos, is the smart pistol back?

I loved the smart pistol. :shobon:

God I hope so but I don't think I've seen it yet.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Got into the ps4 tech test early, should be playing lots tonight.

Been playing for a bit now, willing to answer any questions if anyone has em

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 19, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Attrition owned. After spending some serious time in bounty hunt it is not a good substitute. Also bunny hopping still works to maintain momentum to an extent.

I gotta say I will not really be playing anymore of the tech test. Playing titan fall with a control is disgusting.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Insert name here posted:

You mix it up with other players in attrition plenty though. I mean yeah technically the best way to play Attrition was to avoid enemy players and farm AI but let's be real, that's very much not possible in practice as people will search you out and try to shoot you. Attrition was very much TF1's TDM mode and I thought it was a pretty decent twist on it. Not to mention even on modes not scored on kills like Hardpoint having the AI around is useful because you can use the to charge your titan/core meter and use friendly ones as sort of locators for enemy pilots when they get wiped out horribly.

I saw a video of pilot vs pilot and it's 6v6, no titans, no AI

I am not amused :mad:

E: Just pretend I made a scathing remark about how it'll be the most popular gamemode because people hate fun or something here

TF1 also had a pilot v pilot only mode just fyi.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Did it? I only recall the Pilot Hunter mode which was basically Attrition (so it still had AI and titans in it) but only pilot kills counted.

Hmm was that the case? Maybe its me who is misremembering.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

the healing aspect is wasted though because if you get shot you're probably dead

Not on consoles lol

So I still hate console controls but I've taken more time to think about things after putting in a few more hours today.

New titans are worse than old titans but its a good thing. Old TF1 was completely dominated by titans. Yeah the game was fairly well balanced but almost nothing beat a skilled stryder with the 40mm cannon. Because when you are so damaging and have so much health adding a poo poo load of mobility to the mix made you a nigh unkillable god. I know that I rolled that build and completely dominated the game last titan fall and many others did as well.

The new titans feel better. As a pilot you are a speedy mother fucker who can be turned into pink mist at the drop of a hat. As a titan you can dish out insane amounts of damage but you are also a lumbering dickhead. In a pinch you can dash if you need it but dashing isn't a spammable ability anymore meaning you have to use it defensively, or tactically and not just whenever.

The addition of shield cells is super rad. Its a really fun little element. If you pick up a shield cell and enter your titan you gain a pretty significant over shield. Or you can jump on a friends titan and give it to him. Either way its a really cool mechanic. I've kept a single auto titan alive an entire game using shield cell. Its a really welcome and engaging change.

Overall I think people need to get used to the new titans and not just cry foul, they are objectively worse than older titans. They probably should be earned faster than they are. But once you learn your titan abilities and start actualling using cover and your dash intelligently its pretty easy to really lay out some damage. Scorch is a mother fucker and I go nuts with him.

Now granted I only play bounty hunt, I don't really care to play a hardpoint mode on console. Are there absolutley no AI in hardpoint? If so that is terrible.

I also still dont' understand amped weapons. Also its weird that grenades are an ability and they "recharge"

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Ttk is no lower than tf1

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Digirat posted:

The problem with low TTK and fast respawns isn't that it encourages camping, it's that it turns most engagements into a matter of someone just shooting another in the back, or milliseconds-long engagements where there is absolutely no time for anything but raw reflexes to play a part. It makes the differences between weapons matter less when everything needs an incredibly few number of shots to kill, makes fights generally not come down to skill at all but instead come down to whoever happened to end up behind the other player, and it makes the times when you are both shooting at each other at the same time be incredibly short-lived.

It's ultimately a matter of preference, but to me the disadvantages far outweigh whatever advantages an ultra-low TTK supposedly has.

I agree if someone gets the drop on me they definitely should not be able to just kill me despite clearly having the advantage :downs:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Just did some testing and it seems ttk is actually longer than tf1 so not sure what you are all on about.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

If you see grapple incoming when your a Titan you can also just hold up your heart shield if you scorch to fry em. Ooh also if you are being grappled, left in the d pad will turn on electric smoke. It has some cool down that I don't think is displayed.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Mordja posted:

Lol imma wait until the full actual game is out not a beta based on a splinter from back in June but I'm a crazy retard, hth

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

In Training posted:

I only play COD on PC though because I'm insane.

All shooters are better on PC. Lol though if you think the newest cod will be better than tf2 lol

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

There was some blog post by the devs saying the tech test was a success in that it gave them good server info but they also said that all the design decisions that people are bitching about will be addressed in another blog post by the designers of the game. Also the build was from mid-June so I wouldn't' consider it really final.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I gotta say that one really open map did grate on me. Though parts of it were great for wall running large parts of it were the absolute worst. And often those were the parts where the AI were spawning. Also I really hope they bring back attrition and make the game feel faster instead of slower.

Also they really should bring back having titans on a timer and not just killstreaks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Niggurath posted:

Say, here's an article about the game that should cheer everyone up: http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer. Or not....

Yeesh that article has me seriously worried now not gonna lie.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

Respawn addressing some of the feedback and are adjusting accordingly.

Nothing on Attrition. rip

Bummed about the lack of attirtion information as well but those changes are really great and pretty much address every issue I had with the tech test. Day 1 purchase again!

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

SUNKOS posted:

They're not addressing many of the complaints and the ones that they are will only be seeing minor adjustments. This could very well end-up being similar to the tech test at launch, just with some minor changes and adjustments under the guise of listening to the community. We'll see how things pan out with the next tech test but the overall tone and attitude of the feedback post is indicative of a "We know best" attitude that doesn't inspire much confidence. I would really like to be proven wrong, though.

Yeah what complaints other than attrition mode are they not addressing?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

SUNKOS posted:

Well look at the change they've suggested for titan acquisition for example, where they state that now players will acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds. Will it be enough to bring titans into play as frequently as the first game? They haven't commented on the lack of AI from modes in the game (or the absence of Attrition) and those played a large part in speeding up titan acquisition. Simply adding a little to the meter every few seconds could have little to no impact on addressing the core issues in that regard. They've also ignored complaints regarding TTK of both pilots and titans. They've emphasized that objectives should be the fastest way of obtaining titans but the objectives for the modes on offer are terrible, with Amped Hardpoint forcing people to camp points and Bounty Hunt segregating enemy teams to opposite sides of the map, which goes completely against the design principles of the first game. They also say that the full game will have more traditional Titanfall maps but they can't even share a screenshot or two to back this up, and their lead designer has already said they've moved away from that kind of map design to embrace the three-lane design philosophy that Call of Duty uses for every map. The Forwardbase Kodai map we'll be seeing in the next tech test is essentially another Homestead, so they really need to show something vastly different, especially since they've made no mention of tweaking the current maps to improve them. The list goes on and on, but you get the idea.

Like I said though, I'm hoping that they can turn things around because I really want this game to be good, but the blog post on their website only describes minor tweaks and it sounds like they don't want to budge on a lot of the bigger problems with the game. Don't get me wrong, it's great that they claim to be addressing some speed complaints regarding wall running and dashing, but there's a lot that they've simply chosen to ignore or are being very cagey about answering, which makes it seems like the final game won't be much different.

Oh I see, you're a moron.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hey guys I'm glad the developers said they are fixing things but they didn't give us exact numbers so clearly nothing is going to be good. Also the new map they are adding this week that no one outside of their internal test group has played is exactly like that one map people don't like. I know this because my dad works for nintendo.

Also I don't like the idea of defending control points in a territory control gamemode for reasons.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

SUNKOS posted:

Why are you getting so upset over someone criticizing a video game?

:ironicat:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Hulk Krogan posted:

Maybe I've been spoiled by the Destiny thread but it's shameful that that post hasn't been "source your quotes"-ed yet.

Oh gently caress if that's the case I too feel ashamed of myself for not spotting it :negative:

Also tech test weekend 2 starting soon yay!

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 25, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

Archive of my livestream from the last hours of the Tech Test on Sunday, mostly Bounty Hunt and talking about RPing as former Bankers. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ8MXa_sDOs

Did you literally just upload this? The quality is bad but I know if its a new upload the quality will get better over time and I legit wanna watch.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I mean the devs didn't specify on the titan timer. Maybe they made it increment over time negatively, so you lose your titan build time unless you get some wicked sick kill streaks.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

Huh. Weird, you're right it's capped at 480p. I had Twitch upload it to YouTube, I didn't know it had some type of quality cap, that's a bummer.

Here's the Twitch link if that looks any better. :shrug:
https://www.twitch.tv/christhemute/v/84983526

I think twitch keeps non-prime-time users recordings at low res, so they probably uploaded what they had to youtube, as the twitch one is not better. That being said still gonna watch it. Like Antoine said, you are a loving mosnter with that laser. I'm primarily a PC guy so using the controller is an act of frustration and seeing you do it so flawlessly is crazy to me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm just wondering how a 3 lane map system is going to work when they have to scale it with both pilots and titans walking through them at the same time. Not to mention how crowed it will be trying to play Bounty Hunter with the AI running around on top of that.

Perhaps that's why they went a more traditional energy/almost killstreak style system instead of a timer for the titans. In my head i'm imagining a Black Ops 3 style map with 12 titans all running around and it just doesn't work. With the new system you'd only have a max of 1 or 2 titans per team at any given time.

I don't really understand the 3 lane idea. Homestead kind of has a center lane sure. but the rest of it is super open. THere are way more than 3 lanes.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

Patch notes for this weekend, looks like they've implemented some of the changes to this version. (Don't know how that works since this build is also from June :shrug: )

https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/3323/titanfall-2-pre-alpha-tech-test-weekend-2-patch-update-x1-ps4#latest

Sounds like a bunch of rad changes, looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Zip lines would be dope agreed.

Amped weapons are pretty lack luster. I feel like they balanced it around "Well in the first one you could equip three burn cards." But realistically not everyone used all three burn cards for amped weapons, so the fact that you can earn amped weapons 3-4 times in TF2 doesn't quite add up.

I'd much prefer they went with something way more exciting for the burn card replacement, but we'll see I guess.

They definitely should add zip lines to homestead though. Tweet that poo poo at them its the best idea so far.