Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I never thought it would come to this but I'm legit torn between getting the new COD or a Titanfall sequel...

red box TF2 for a few nights before cod is out and then switch and see what's better imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I only play COD on PC though because I'm insane.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

nah i don't blame you i don't play more than the free beta weekends too often in fps games because i prefer the mouse but don't have a pc.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

threeagainstfour posted:

I actually came to really enjoy Bounty mode after I settled into the game.

I was initially shocked cause I tried amped hardpoint first and played an entire game without ever getting a titan and my initial reaction was very negative, as piloting the huge robots was my favorite part of the game.

I'm hoping there is plenty of variety in the game in terms of titans and maps and a few extra game modes when it goes live in October.

On Twitter one of the devs said that the titan spawn rate on hardpoint was not good for whatever reason (dunno if it's because they just tweaked it bad or there was a bug or whatever) and that they'd fix it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They nearly doubled it on the last day of the beta and it was easy to get 2 to 3 Titans in a full match.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

In Training posted:

They nearly doubled it on the last day of the beta and it was easy to get 2 to 3 Titans in a full match.

Hooray

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
The amping mechanic in hardpoint is dumb. It forces you to go back to the home flag and amp it and the double points make matches end way too quick.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

In Training posted:

All shooters are better on PC. Lol though if you think the newest cod will be better than tf2 lol

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Given the negative reactions I feel like only running the beta at weekends is a mistake. I won't get to go back and give it a second try so my negative reaction will have to stick around until reviews come in.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Lemming posted:

On Twitter one of the devs said that the titan spawn rate on hardpoint was not good for whatever reason (dunno if it's because they just tweaked it bad or there was a bug or whatever) and that they'd fix it

Yeah they hotfixed it on Sunday. It was basically pilot vs pilot hardpoint in the first 2 days.

Was there much of a timer at all in bounty hunt? It felt like the only way to get a titan was kills - no more 120s timer or whatever it was. With the reduced AI that meant way less titans in a match AFAICT. My %age meter filled so slowly :(

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
There was some blog post by the devs saying the tech test was a success in that it gave them good server info but they also said that all the design decisions that people are bitching about will be addressed in another blog post by the designers of the game. Also the build was from mid-June so I wouldn't' consider it really final.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

There was some blog post by the devs saying the tech test was a success in that it gave them good server info but they also said that all the design decisions that people are bitching about will be addressed in another blog post by the designers of the game. Also the build was from mid-June so I wouldn't' consider it really final.

Hopefully the blog post is accompanied by a patch because people explaining why they made decisions that are boring and unfun and how they aren't going to change anything usually don't go over too well

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
I tried out titanfall one today on origin because I had a two day trial and it's pretty fun. I'm a big fan of the ai making me feel like I'm actually contributing to my team, despite only occasionally getting pilot kills. It's pretty fun, but I doubt they'll change too much about the second one at this point. Just because the build is a couple months old doesn't mean that they would purposefully release a beta that is significantly different from their intended final release.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Lemming posted:

Hopefully the blog post is accompanied by a patch because people explaining why they made decisions that are boring and unfun and how they aren't going to change anything usually don't go over too well

One of the devs said on twitter the client build isn't changing because it would have to go through certification. Mid-June build is all we're getting this weekend.

edit: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-successes/

quote:

Given the way game certification works and the timelines involved, the Tech Test was from a June snapshot of our game, and some of the feedback and issues fans noticed this weekend have been fixed in our game for weeks or months now. In addition, the full game has a lot more Tactical abilities, weapons, unlocks, customization, Titans, and maps than the Tech Test build does, and that slimmed-down view of the game for a Tech Test can be its own challenge for balancing and learning curve reasons. More on that later - the designers are going next with their own blog update - this is focused on the engineering goal of the Tech Test.

Given that titanfall 1 had some launch load issues I'm ok with this being primarily testing around the dedicated servers.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 23, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

PriorMarcus posted:

Given the negative reactions I feel like only running the beta at weekends is a mistake. I won't get to go back and give it a second try so my negative reaction will have to stick around until reviews come in.
Running it longer is probably risky. Even if it's got I'M A ALPHA LOL all over it, playing it for longer will fix any faults in people's heads, and possibly turn them off buying. They were likely trying to snag people who were on the fence as well as test out stuff. Plus weekends tend to be the busiest anyway, because of people playing because they aren't at work / school / etc.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MrBond posted:

One of the devs said on twitter the client build isn't changing because it would have to go through certification. Mid-June build is all we're getting this weekend.

edit: http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-successes/

Given that titanfall 1 had some launch load issues I'm ok with this being primarily testing around the dedicated servers.

Well weekend two is probably going to be a ghost town then

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

drrockso20 posted:

Well weekend two is probably going to be a ghost town then

I'm still looking forward to playing it. Bounty Hunt grew on me but it's definitely not the mode I would want play when the full game is released, and man it would be a bummer if that is the new "TDM/Attrition" mode.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Roman posted:

Thing is, Titanfall 1's lead designer went back to Infinity Ward to be the lead multiplayer designer on Infinite Warfare. I will be amused if COD:IW multi ends up being more fun than Titanfall 2

He was only there for a few months before going back to Respawn.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Wazzit posted:

I'm still looking forward to playing it. Bounty Hunt grew on me but it's definitely not the mode I would want play when the full game is released, and man it would be a bummer if that is the new "TDM/Attrition" mode.

I really disliked the way that Bounty Hunt dispersed the action across the map. On Homestead it was just tedious and felt very empty, especially compared to the first game, which had bots all over the place. Removing the Titan timer also means you don't get that awesome escalation three minutes into the match when both teams are guaranteed to be fully armored up and start brawling.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I gotta say that one really open map did grate on me. Though parts of it were great for wall running large parts of it were the absolute worst. And often those were the parts where the AI were spawning. Also I really hope they bring back attrition and make the game feel faster instead of slower.

Also they really should bring back having titans on a timer and not just killstreaks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah or at least make it a loving points based unlock. I felt kind of gyped dumping like 500 dollars into the bank and getting zero Titan points.

Swapping batteries around is by far the easiest way to get a Titan though.
Just steal or give a battery 3 times and you get one.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Say, here's an article about the game that should cheer everyone up: http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer. Or not....

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Niggurath posted:

Say, here's an article about the game that should cheer everyone up: http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer. Or not....

I don't normally go in for complaints about devs like Valve over designing their games, but here we are. Verticality is too much for the common man to fathom I guess.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Niggurath posted:

Yeesh that article has me seriously worried now not gonna lie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Niggurath posted:

Article was taken down?

edit ; :doh:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 24, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Article was taken down?
Have to remove the period from the url http://www.shacknews.com/article/96446/titanfall-2-game-director-on-a-slower-paced-multiplayer

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Niggurath posted:

"Defined paths become the norm: the left, the middle, the right. There's a greater simplification of the player's understanding of the environment, so that the environment becomes more predictable and becomes less about just drawing lines across the map from any point to any point where it just becomes a mess. We're trying to make sure the level is designed in a way that gets these trendy routes and feels more fundamental."

Goddamnit, the fact that you could make your way across a map in any totally random, haphazard way you wanted was one of my favorite parts of the original. :smith:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Yeah that interview is not very reassuring.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if EA intentionally sabotaged this game's development in some sort of "Springtime For Hitler" scheme, I mean it is much more likely that this is just because of them being idiots and using focus groups when it's pretty obvious at this point that all focus groups do is ruin any games they are used on

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if EA intentionally sabotaged this game's development in some sort of "Springtime For Hitler" scheme, I mean it is much more likely that this is just because of them being idiots and using focus groups when it's pretty obvious at this point that all focus groups do is ruin any games they are used on

Well from what I understand Titanfall 1 didn't do that great and if they think catering to the brain dead will get them more sales then it's probably the better financial move

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
there's twitter remarks from the devs that they are listening to feedback, but it's contradictory

with how quickly the first game fell off I'm sure they are taking the criticisms from it seriously, but they seem to be unaware of the community that loved it but didn't love how there wasn't much of a playerbase

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

Respawn addressing some of the feedback and are adjusting accordingly.

quote:

We’ll be tuning air speed and wall-running speed to be faster.

Players should once again accumulate and retain more speed when chaining wallruns.

Pilots will once again acquire a small passive amount of Titan meter every few seconds.

Titan dashes will recharge faster.

We’re going to bring in the fade distance for enemy outlines so they don’t reveal pilots at extreme distances.

Nothing on Attrition. rip

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 24, 2016

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Those are good changes but I'm still not gonna buy on day 1, especially with Attrition being MIA

Blind Duke posted:

with how quickly the first game fell off I'm sure they are taking the criticisms from it seriously,
all they needed to to was ADD stuff (guns, customization, abilities), not take away mechanics that were fun and made it different from other games

did they seriously think the "waaah there's too many bots" people were the majority

Roman fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Aug 24, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to buy this game and never play the mode with AI, it's what turned me off to the first game, I never really knew about the non-AI modes. So they got at least new person playing

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Wazzit posted:

http://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/tech-test-and-feedback/

Respawn addressing some of the feedback and are adjusting accordingly.

Nothing on Attrition. rip

Bummed about the lack of attirtion information as well but those changes are really great and pretty much address every issue I had with the tech test. Day 1 purchase again!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It is very encouraging that they are responding to player feedback. I can't think of another time where there was a "beta" like this and there were any actual changes between it and release.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Roman posted:

Those are good changes but I'm still not gonna buy on day 1, especially with Attrition being MIA
all they needed to to was ADD stuff (guns, customization, abilities), not take away mechanics that were fun and made it different from other games

did they seriously think the "waaah there's too many bots" people were the majority

To be fair, adding abilities and such tends to dramatically increase the burden of tweaking for balance

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lemming posted:

It is very encouraging that they are responding to player feedback. I can't think of another time where there was a "beta" like this and there were any actual changes between it and release.

Payday 2 had some really big changes between the start of its beta and release

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemming posted:

They have focus grouped these changes ahead of time and this is part of a process to groom you to buy the game by appearing responsive. :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm in a holding pattern until release. If it's good, I'll get TF2. If it's not, I'll get BF1, or just wait until it's cheaper and all the DLC is out.