Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Rob Filter posted:

Harold Krell posted:

Lou-ny Balloon-y Goes Floatin' 'Round Town
This game was awesome, by the way. Really well polished. My only complaint was that their weren't enough checkpoints, especially for the later levels where electricity starts instant killing you, and that a few of the bosses were somewhat trivial. Aside from that, fantastic.

Alot of the level design was really great. My favorite bit was the electricity stage, but especially the two walls of electricity vertically in the sky. "well, this doesn't seem to bad - wait oh poo poo balloon dudes".

You should definitely consider expanding on this.

edit: Oh, one more thing I remembered. When I was doing the wind level with the bird final boss, I didn't understand the mechanic of jumping on things giving you foward momentum for the entire zone, right up until the bird boss when I actually learned it.

It makes me think the bird boss would be a good precursor to the wind level, rather than its end - the bird is the best tutorial for dealing with wind

Thanks! The reason why my game is more theme-neutral than usual is because I was because I was considering building upon it for a steam release eventually.

I think what I've learned most from this jam is that especially for a platformer, I'd like to create a game that's easy and fun enough for anyone to pick up and play, yet challenging to master and beat. There were eventually going to be billboards along the buildings of the first level showing what button to press to get past certain obstacles (i.e. an arrow showing to press down when over the star balloon) but used the time instead to refine the gameplay.

I usually hate shilling my games, but if anyone WAS interested in a fully fleshed out Lou-ny Balloon-y game, feel free to spread the word and let me know what others think of my game jam build. The more demand there is, the better I'll feel about committing to this game.

------

As for the bird boss, the bouncing-through-the-wind mechanic only specifically works for that level (the only time the wind mechanic comes in is in boss battles where there's nothing to bounce on). It really only exists as an interesting way to defeating that boss since regular enemies move too quickly for you to get anywhere by bouncing on them in a row. The rows of black balloons after the mid-level checkpoint are supposed to hint at this mechanic, but it really isn't necessary for the player to understand this concept until they get to the boss where they are forced to use it. The boss itself only has two modes: 1) a moderate gust with birds flying at random heights and 2) a stronger, lengthier gust with birds flying in a row directly to the boss. The player only has four buttons to press, so eventually they should be able to trial and error as to when and how they should be able to attack the bird boss.

This is supposed to be one of those "a-ha!" situations like in the first Commander Keen game where the last Vorticon is immune to your weapons, so the player is forced to explore other methods and eventually realize that they can go through an invisible wall to shoot a rope that drops a boulder on him. It's pretty obtuse, but once you figure it out, you're like "Hey that was pretty cool! Now I can be that one kid at school that knows how to beat that one tricky boss and everyone will pay attention to me!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Xibanya posted:

My game has a Waluigi knock-off. Go back to the train station when you can move freely in chapter one. It's there and voice acted like everything else in the game.

I'm aware of this. that "no waluigi" was in reference to that game not All The Games I Played. That bit was also written in a "I'm tired and I can't believe I'm such an idiot for thinking that having 10 bounties was a good idea" state of mind.

Lowen SoDium posted:

The game was packaged as a self extracting exe because 7zip cut the size down by over a third, I don't expect people to have 7zip (you even complain about it on an other game), and my hosting is space and bandwidth limited. Sorry selecting a folder to extract to was an unreasonable hassle.

The reason why I was immediately annoyed at the self extracting zip wasn't because of 7zip or because I had to select the folder. Self extracting zips make sense, and make it a tiny bit more convenient if you're using some kind of special compression. However, that convenience comes at a price because had no idea if it was going to extract a folder full of stuff or just spit out everything loose (I've had this issue with self extracting exes before) so I had to create a "grumpy_grandpa" folder just in case the self extracting zip wanted to spit out everything in the base folder. Fortunately, your game didn't spit a bunch of files everywhere in a mess, but I had no idea that it would do that. I did a step I didn't have to do because I wasn't sure if I needed to do it. That was the annoying thing. That, and when I first saw .exe I thought "Great! I'm going to be able to run straight away this cause one single .exe suggests that it probably isn't an Unreal game which all of them seem to run poorly on my lovely laptop for some reason". I hope that clears things up.

Mo_Steel posted:

Did you get a chance to play Uphill Both Ways? Appreciate the feedback.

Yeah I did, but not much has changed from my initial playthrough. The "variable jump" doesn't seem to work on the exe (again, this may have something to do with unreal games performing poorly on my machine). Weirdly enough, the web version which worked pretty well to a point last time, has stopped working completely for me now. Sorry

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Afal posted:

Yeah I did, but not much has changed from my initial playthrough. The "variable jump" doesn't seem to work on the exe (again, this may have something to do with unreal games performing poorly on my machine). Weirdly enough, the web version which worked pretty well to a point last time, has stopped working completely for me now. Sorry

No worries, game engines. :argh:

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Since we're nearing the end, and it's about to get buried by winners and community choice and everything, I wanted to share the debug controls for Grandfathered In so that people could (if interested) at least see the different endings, since it seems most people didn't reach any ending, let alone all five.

At any point in the main grandpa screen, just hit CTRL-D (you might have to hold it down) and a debug button will appear.

If you're curious as to the conditions that trigger each of the five different endings, put in these values:

Week: 12
Strikes: Fewer than 3

Valid NOPE stats: Tolerance, Coolness, Knowledge, Trends, Technology, Skills, Communication - These are 0-10 values
Grandpa is also a 0-10 value
Bruno is either 0 or 1
You can ignore Nostalgia. Poise is a randomized red herring (sounded like a good idea at the time)

• "Best" ending: at least 4 of the 7 NOPE stats at 6 or higher, Grandpa stat between 7-9 (last week of training will affect these! Put the NOPE stats to ten for safety and pick a training that doesn't affect your Grandpa stat or else you might get ending 2 or 4)

• "You passed the test" ending: At least 4 of 7 NOPE stats pass, Grandpa stat is below 7

• "Worst" ending: at least 4 of 7 NOPE stats at 5 or lower, Grandpa stat less than 10, Bruno set to 0

• "Grandpa" ending: Grandpa stat at 10, all other stats ignored

• "Rescued" ending: at least 4 of 7 NOPE stats at 5 or lower, Grandpa stat less than 10, Bruno set to 1

Of course, you can also set the week number and stats to whatever you want, playing scenes over with different stats to see the different branches. There's a fair amount of content that I'm terrified nobody ever actually saw :shepicide:

Oh, and final note: being naked in most public situations is an immediate failure, but there are several scenes that occur within your own home during which your nudity just causes changes to the dialogue and action. I wanted to make the outfits affect the dialogue (as was mentioned in the Gong Show) but that was going to necessitate even more writing that nobody would ever see, and also most of the outfits were slapped in on the last day just to be extra silly content.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Harold Krell posted:

I think what I've learned most from this jam is that especially for a platformer, I'd like to create a game that's easy and fun enough for anyone to pick up and play, yet challenging to master and beat.

If you're trying to add a skill cap for hardcore players, incentivize having too many feathers. As it is I already tried to get as many as I could, but there wasn't explicit feedback as to how many feathers I had at any given time. If you could figure out a way to implement scoring based on time spent with number of feathers, that'd be top-notch.

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:

Hammer Bro. posted:

If you're trying to add a skill cap for hardcore players, incentivize having too many feathers. As it is I already tried to get as many as I could, but there wasn't explicit feedback as to how many feathers I had at any given time. If you could figure out a way to implement scoring based on time spent with number of feathers, that'd be top-notch.

I thought about linking feathers with score, but the idea of "scoring" in platformers is such a useless thing. Both the early Mario and Sonic games used had score mechanics, and the only useful thing about them was getting a free life when you reached a certain amount.

I'm thinking if I reward the player by collecting extra feathers, it would be to charge up a "super attack" where once the player collects like 100 feathers, they do a really super cool attack that kills every enemy on screen.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
The Big Awful jams Finale (Judging Deliberations / winner announcement) stream starts at 6pm CST TODAY.

Watch at https://www.twitch.tv/sagamedev

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I have work tomorrow so I hope everyone enjoys the stream and good luck to everyone! :3:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/764230764196077568

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
:siren:PRIZES GO OUT MONDAY.:siren:
Gong Show playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvsRQ9bQ1QDOM4oAHh_M9Ph7F_L_s80xN

Congrats to your winners:

The Krillininthename Didn't Win Anything But Instead We Made Him Pick Someone Else to Win A Prize Award for The Game That Made Him Feel The Most Like An Actual Grandpa Award
Battle of Wits

Best UE4:
Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout

Best 3D Art:
Souvenir

Most Fun:

Best use of Theme:
Grandpa's Videogames For Knuckleheads

Best Narrative:
Story Time with Grampum Peepmpop

Best Style:
Gramp in the Shell A SeniorPunk Adventure

Game of the Jam:
Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap!

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 13, 2016

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Congrats to the winners! And with that it's now time for

:siren: Bounty Winners :siren:

Waluigi Bounty - Lotería del Adiós by Team Dogpit for being the only team to actually have a Waluigi. I mean "let the bodies hit the floor" was the text when I talked to "Juan Luigi" and it wasn't the actual music, BUT I'LL ALLOW IT! You'll be getting Putt-Putt® Goes to the Moon, Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine, Tomb Raider GOTY Edition, and Dropsy to share among the team (or whoever I send it to can keep them all to themselves idc)

Most Vlambeer-est Screenshake - Cloud Yeller by Buffi Buddies for the juicy and bouncy clouds. (Not that many vlambeeresque screenshaking this jam. Probably not appropriate for most games. I guess next time I do this bounty I'll make it the "Most Juicy Game" but I have a feeling Krillin' would win that every time.). A copy of LUFTRAUSERS will be on it's way!

Best Multiplayer - I Need Help by Team Name Subject To Change. Despite being difficult to play, I liked this twist on the "keep talking and no one explodes" format. Copies of Worms Clan Wars to share or not will be sent soon.

Best "In Progress" Twitter Gifs - I only counted those that mention @AwfulJams or use the #AwfulJams hashtag. Here's what I got:

Yeah that's the poo poo I want

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/757368217253715968

This game wasn't on the list, neither did the team post it on twitter, still I think everyone would agree this should deserve a shout out

https://twitter.com/Everdraed/status/749421289581019136

Finally, even though the glitches weren't as ridiculous as other games, I did appreciate Shoehead's gifs

https://twitter.com/Shoehead_art/status/759730807862759424

Copies of FEZ are on its way!

And the wooden spoons go to:

Worst Game With The Worst Packaging - Babes and Chess by Just Jamajk. I'm pretty sure this person isn't a member of Something Awful. Err... I'll figure something out. You win the Humble Indie Bundle #2 Desura Key

Worst Game but DIDN'T make me want to murder someone because it was easier to access than other games - Retirement Manager by And I'm Here Too! Your prize is Jazzpunk, LIMBO, and Garry's Mod.

---

I'll probably get around to sending those once I figure out what to send and who to send them to. Congrats to all!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Afal posted:

Worst Game but DIDN'T make me want to murder someone because it was easier to access than other games - Retirement Manager by And I'm Here Too! Your prize is Jazzpunk, LIMBO, and Garry's Mod.

Yay, I won? :confuoot:

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Thanks to everyone who had kind/constructive things to say about That Pokeyman Thing! And congrats to the winners - from what I can tell (pretty sure none of the winning games had stable Mac versions :smith:) those Fangamer shirt vouchers were well earned.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

WrathOfBlade posted:

Thanks to everyone who had kind/constructive things to say about That Pokeyman Thing! And congrats to the winners - from what I can tell (pretty sure none of the winning games had stable Mac versions :smith:) those Fangamer shirt vouchers were well earned.

I would like to echo these sentiments, Ennui was our first attempt and the criticism we have received has been fantastic and I mean that sincerely.

I've only recently joined the SA forums and I'm looking forward to jumping into more gamejams and poo poo :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback on my game, Grandpa's Medicine. It seemed to be very hit or miss and I wish I would have given myself more time to test and tweak it, but for my first jam game I'm satisfied with what I came up with. I've got an android build for it that I eventually want to release on Google Play but I think I want to work on it some more before I do so.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

JonTerp posted:

Gong Show playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvsRQ9bQ1QDOM4oAHh_M9Ph7F_L_s80xN

The Krillininthename Didn't Win Anything But Instead We Made Him Pick Someone Else to Win A Prize Award for The Game That Made Him Feel The Most Like An Actual Grandpa Award
Battle of Wits

Best UE4:
Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout

Best 3D Art:
Souvenir

Most Fun:

Best use of Theme:
Grandpa's Videogames For Knuckleheads

Best Narrative:
Story Time with Grampum Peepmpop

Best Style:

Game of the Jam:
Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap!

Congrats to the winners and well jammed! A LOT of really cool entries, the quality of games this year is INSANE.

Afal posted:

Best "In Progress" Twitter Gifs - I only counted those that mention @AwfulJams or use the #AwfulJams hashtag. Here's what I got:

Yeah that's the poo poo I want

https://twitter.com/bonerman_inc/status/757368217253715968

Aww hell yeah!! I didnt even realise this was a bounty !!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Oh thank god.

I appreciate everything that was said about my lovely unfinished game before now, but anyone who couldn't figure it out, I would like to urge you to give it another try to I Need Help

New Features Include:
- Instructions
- Improved UI
- Difficulty Levels

I would love feedback on the changes (almost exclusively on the Grandson side, admittedly). The whole thing should be a lot more clear now.

There are still plenty of improvements that could be made (a chat filter, for example), and it's still not gonna be lots of people's cup of tea, and let's be honest, pretty much no one is actually going to play it at this point and the extra effort I put in was totally wasted anyway, I just couldn't handle the quality of the product I put out before and this (for now) manages to barely live up to my standards enough to stop working on it.

If I got to start the Jam at the beginning instead of haflway through, this is what it would have looked like.

Thanks again everyone for an awesome jam, I had a great time building my game and playing your games. Despite See you all next Jam. :)

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 13, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Congrats to Terrible Gramphics! Like I said before, your writing, music and art were stellar and came together so nicely.

GlyphGryph posted:

I would love feedback on the changes (almost exclusively on the Grandson side, admittedly). The whole thing should be a lot more clear now.

I got to play one game tonight, (243, I'm sorry stranger!) but I chose Grandson without having played before so I didn't know what Grandpa was capable of. I noticed later that Grandpa was suggested for first time players. I'm really hoping to get another game in soon. I waited as a Grandpa for a while and forgot, realizing later that a Grandson came and went, unfortunately.

That first game though was fun, I felt we were making progress but I definitely dropped the ball a bit.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Thank you again for choosing me for best theme. Second year in a row :toot:

Going to watch the final video when I'm home from work.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

JonTerp posted:

Best Style:

:magical:

This is the first thing I've won ever ever! Wow!

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I missed the start of the going show so I watched it all once it finished! Great job with the stream. Congrats to all the winners and thanks to the organisers for another great jam.

Whoop I won a weird category!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tann posted:

I missed the start of the going show so I watched it all once it finished! Great job with the stream. Congrats to all the winners and thanks to the organisers for another great jam.

Whoop I won a weird category!

Where can I watch the whole thing? I missed the first few minutes.

Edit: nevermind, still figuring out how twitch works.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
Kudos to all. Outstanding work from everyone involved. :3: The prizes were well deserved.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

JonTerp, et al., could you give a heads up (just like 24 hours) before the Google Doc gets closed, and before the thread gets archived? I want to try to get through as many games as possible before I commit to anything.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Doom Goon posted:

JonTerp, et al., could you give a heads up (just like 24 hours) before the Google Doc gets closed, and before the thread gets archived? I want to try to get through as many games as possible before I commit to anything.

Tomorrow I'll close the voting.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Thanks!

Still haven't done the multiplayer ones I rolled, but here's another batch of impressions from myself:

Jo posted:

Sneaking Mission by Team Adorable Animals

Neat, a little stealth game! I know why they're not so popular (really hard to do and get a positive response! There's so many systems that need to be done just to get a fair result, and a lot of the intelligent work is behind the scenes and isn't obviously noticeable to the player) but I'm always glad to see an attempt! One of the things I liked was that the vision cones were visible, which reduced frustration when I messed up (I didn't assume it glitched or anything which I might have if there was just nothing, and I was more kind towards it if I got away with not triggering it when I thought I did). I felt there was a surprisingly good chance of escaping when alerting a guard, even if the game probably could've used a checkpoint system. And I also ended up enjoying the codec art and some of the narration (I liked Metal Ear, though too much was perhaps a bit too fourth-wall breaking and somewhat negative?). And because I'm a stealth guy of sorts I suppose, I have plenty of wishlists and criticisms! The alarm state could've been varied (for instance, different levels of alertness and aggression, even if it's just a clear "pause" between becoming hostile), and if it was varied it could've included a visible indicator. I would've liked to see some object obstruction work (including it effecting the cone, which if I understand correctly as a non-programmer is a really surprising pain to do and keep CPU friendly!) or lighting (I did notice shadowed tiles, but if it was there it was hard to see it in effect. And if it was implemented, it could've been highlighted with a little level segment that hits hard, but with low or non-risk, that shadows are a thing). Finally, I thought the player FOV could've used some modification; there's definitely differing schools of thought here, but part of the fun in stealth is being able to read ahead and plan a strategy beforehand, where the small FOV (and/or no radar) made it more blind (which generally, though not always, requires a fair amount of reactive gameplay elements to make non-frustrating). Reading your post mortem after writing this, it sounded like you had a robust system and hit many of these points, but I still think visually it could've been better communicated (if it's a feature, flaunt it!). Okay, done blathering! I'm actually pretty hopeful you'll play with the stealth genre in future jams, and very impressed seeing the growth from Chill Robot (which I also liked, but which was much more fundamental).

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Back In MY Day by Another Thing Named Colbert

3D infinite runner about grandpa getting to school in the snow, etc. etc. Not too shabby! Really liked the idea of upgrades, and I made sure to get them all (lizard brain). I do wish duck was some button other than Ctrl, though, as it kills my hand! Also, the carts seemed to sometimes generate so you couldn't dodge them, and it seemed to be frame-dependent (or something?) on the amount of damage it did. Probably could've used a variable jump because the snow banks seemed to run too close to other obstacles, though part of the fun was trying to differentiate ahead. On my final run, the cart killed me ("You didn't make it")... and then flung me almost half-way across the stage, giving me the win (which is a plus). Also, neat idea with the vision blocking stuff, and the graphics were weird but oddly charming (man, a full-blown puppet motif would've been great!).

Turn-based tactical game where your squad tries to escape a nursing home. I really wanted to like this one as it looks technically impressive! I thought the art was really strong (reminded me of a board game a bit!), and this in another genre that, imo, gets bonus points just for attempt. But I felt it had a lot of problems for me! Firstly, the icons are a bit small and cumbersome, so it makes trying to keep track of goals difficult. Same with the goal itself, by splitting it between grandpas it becomes a mess to build a strategy, which invariably relies on a lot of skipping turns and waiting a ton. It is really confusing to know when a guard has spotted you, and even what you can do about it (Do they lose track after awhile? How far do they move and how do they track? Do the different tiles do anything? Does the gun work more than once? Does it work upon capture, or only if you drop in on them?). And, finally, I ran into big gameplay bugs, including a grandpa that stopped being able to move (probably making it so I couldn't even finish even if I got one through), and then a guard that wouldn't take a turn so I was effectively frozen (on the latest public, btw). And, even worse, is that it's so slow (with no saving or take-backs) that, I admit, I felt a bit bitter after spending all this time on progress just to have the game mess up. I don't disparage a game with wide scope, but there's a certain risk if precautions aren't taken, and even if it is mechanically complicated it should probably still offer a good way to sample the goods and introduce the mechanics. That said, while it missed the mark of being a cohesive game, it is definitely an impressive showcase!

A weird stealth/shooter-platformer about yet another escaping grandpa, with a ton thrown into the mix. Wow, fun and funny! I really enjoyed this one. At times the puzzles were a head-scratcher (well, until you figure out jumping, which is OP), but it never attempted to overstay its welcome before adding something new. The narrative was humourous and light, and as a huge dork I enjoyed the little references I caught. Speaking of, the music was very catchy (loved that theme change!) and, while I could understand maybe wanting the graphics to be a bit more free-form at times (the look of the building at the beginning/end seemed very tiled, for instance. On the other hand, I liked the parallax!), I personally thought the cartoony style worked well to belie that the theme was overly serious or graphic. Oh, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but sometimes the intro seemed to skip (I only saw it after the end? And only the first time I beat it) and the controls were a bit obtuse. Which added a kind of interesting juggling component, actually. But, in particular, I thought opening/closing and hiding could've "snapped" a bit better. Great job!

Balloon Kid-alike. I was actually going to play Balloon Kid first (and I still want to) when I saw the early screens, but unfortunately health junk has kept me from doing much of anything recently. Aesthetics were top-notch here, really liked most of the character design, sprite-work, and music (nice touch on the olde-sound to it and reprisals). Definitely one of the "funner" gameplay-oriented games I've played so far! But I did have an issue with the feather system balance, as it seemed too often I'd get too much (even when trying to dodge them) and have the flap be way too much, and then felt I had too little when I invariably got hit once (which usually meant I felt like I didn't have much recourse afterwards, even considering suiciding before a boss). Also, the flap as an attack seemed a little inconstant, and a few times the controls seemed to stick or repeat. I appreciated the work that went into the level design (faux-tutorials!), but I do think there might have been too much slow-scrolling or areas that were a bit too "fly over", if that makes sense. About the ending: I'm not familiar with your oeuvre besides Polar Adventure, but was that Big Tex at the end??? I was half-expecting the last boss to be the Wrong Bros. (appropriately Nintendo rip-offs styled of course). Really nice game! Btw, here's the ending screen for anyone interested, as it is pretty.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

Bounty prizes should have been sent to the winners; although I'm not able to private message Scoss.

Scoss posted:

I started learning GameMaker like two weeks ago, I have no programming background whatsoever. I'm flying solo and I haven't registered yet, I wanted to see if I would actually be able to do anything before I sign up for real.

I brought this thing into existence

---

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Aww hell yeah!! I didnt even realise this was a bounty !!

The Twitter GIF Bounty was something that kind of made sense to me. I love seeing things completely glitching and going hogwild in jams when people posted their progress on twitter. The in-progress stuff, even if it doesn't end up in the submitted games in the end, are as much a part of the jam as the games themselves. I'm probably going to do a "goofy broken game gifs tweets" bounty for the next jam because it's a fun one to judge.

Shoehead didn't know there was a "twitter gif" bounty either. So if there's anything I need to add to my Bounty Post Mortem it would be "streamline the bounties so there's less random junk and more stuff that's just fun"

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
That Pokeyman Thing got a nice little write-up on Polygon. Big time!
http://www.polygon.com/pokemon-go/2016/8/15/12490622/pokemon-go-spoof-game

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

ALFbrot posted:

That Pokeyman Thing got a nice little write-up on Polygon. Big time!
http://www.polygon.com/pokemon-go/2016/8/15/12490622/pokemon-go-spoof-game

Really hopeful the website they link to is one he setup and not some rehost stealing it.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mo_Steel posted:

Really hopeful the website they link to is one he setup and not some rehost stealing it.

Whatever they linked, it's broken and not working.

Come on guys, you need to get this thing up on Kongregate or something ASAP.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

Whatever they linked, it's broken and not working.

They typoed the URL, at least they tried to link the right site.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

Speaking of, the music was very catchy (loved that theme change!)

Thanks! :glomp:

For anyone who cares, here's the full soundtrack up on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/sets/grumpy-grandpa-in-the-big-breakout

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

zeekner posted:

They typoed the URL, at least they tried to link the right site.

Ah, that's it. Hopefully it generates some hype, then, it was probably my favorite game of the jam.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

Oh god there is an article about my goofy 2-week game on the Polygon Dot Com, genuinely not sure how to process this :aaa:

quote:

I went ahead and put it up on Newgrounds (where it's doing quite well!) and Kongregate (where it is being vaguely tolerated) specifically because you suggested it! I've already made almost 12 cents in ad revenue! :v: Still want to figure out their respective APIs and see if I can give out acheivements for pokeydex completion.

Interesting wrinkle: I've noticed that since uploading to Newgrounds, there have been like ~10 new sites stealing it by just embedding the Newgrounds iframe. Not sure if that's something NG intentionally allows/endorses? In any case I'm really glad I edited in a link back to my site before that happened.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

WrathOfBlade posted:

Oh god there is an article about my goofy 2-week game on the Polygon Dot Com, genuinely not sure how to process this :aaa:

I went ahead and put it up on Newgrounds (where it's doing quite well!) and Kongregate (where it is being vaguely tolerated) specifically because you suggested it! I've already made almost 12 cents in ad revenue! :v: Still want to figure out their respective APIs and see if I can give out acheivements for pokeydex completion.

Interesting wrinkle: I've noticed that since uploading to Newgrounds, there have been like ~10 new sites stealing it by just embedding the Newgrounds iframe. Not sure if that's something NG intentionally allows/endorses? In any case I'm really glad I edited in a link back to my site before that happened.

Hurrah! I hadn't seen it on the new games lists on either site last I checked, but I'm gonna go push people to try it and hopefully with more success this time since it's on sites they already use. :D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, so I just got an email from Ben Mears from sidefx.com about a Houdini license that I won thanks to the Awful Jam. Anyone know anything about this? I mean, yay and stuff, but I don't even know if/how I'd ever use this, being an audio guy, though I'd love to be able to.

EDIT: Nevermind, my teammate is a swell guy. Thanks, Lowen Sodium! :toot:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 16, 2016

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
I finally got around to typing up a postmortem for Back In MY Day. http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/back-in-my-day-2

Thank you to the judges and everyone else who played the game and posted feedback in the thread. Also, congrats to all the winners. Maybe we will be one of you... some day.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Congradulations to the Community Choice Winner:

Grump Grandpa in The Big Breakout!

You win the admiration of all your colleagues.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Congrats, Team Nerd Bullet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

JonTerp posted:

Congradulations to the Community Choice Winner:

Grump Grandpa in The Big Breakout!

You win the admiration of all your colleagues.

Nice!

Did Dear Diary get announced on Monday, or are judges still reading the post-mortems?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread