Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Hey AI disregard this OP, the owner is a piece of work. She's beginning to act like I owe her something and I can already tell this is bullshit waiting to happen.

For not wanting to immediately tear into the motor she's sending me poorly worded texts about 'Thanks for trying to help.' She also treated me to dinner Saturday night and despite my repeated attempts to quash discussion about politics, she outed herself as a bigot. I can deal with passive-aggression and bigots for the sake of earning good karma, but I don't also feel like having her blame me for something that goes wrong 30,000 miles from now.

She's also being a concern troll and a half, saying she empathizes with me over things in my life that aren't issues nor should I have said anything about them anyway. I can understand she might feel vulnerable or less-than-great about accepting help but she lacks far too much character for me to want to help out, so I'm withdrawing.

I've referred her to the dealership for another go at the oil consumption test despite my suspicion it's valve seals. I'm using this opportunity to reset my involvement and make sure I don't recommit.

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I swapped a "JDM" one of those into an xB once. In this case, JDM actually meant 'VIN tag cut, VIN etching ground off"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Oil consumption is a hell of a thing. At least, she needs a ring job done and probably new valve seals.

At most, a new motor.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The Toyota TSB regarding oil consumption includes a cylinder assembly replacement. If that's the issue then it should be covered by Toyota, so I'm not worried about it. Well, that I won't need to perform the work.

It only smokes at startup, though. Wouldn't that most likely be valve seals before rings?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

frozenpussy posted:

The Toyota TSB regarding oil consumption includes a cylinder assembly replacement. If that's the issue then it should be covered by Toyota, so I'm not worried about it. Well, that I won't need to perform the work.

It only smokes at startup, though. Wouldn't that most likely be valve seals before rings?

The TSB apparently specifically covers oil passages on the piston.

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-SB-0094-11.pdf

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Yeah I get that, I just. I guess I dread having to replace the valve seals just to eliminate them as a problem.

Arok
Mar 17, 2007
Valve seals are easy and quick if you have the tool to pressurize the cylinders and keep the valves up so you can do it without head removal. Toyota dealerships have it as a special service tool. I think it took me less than 3 hours to replace them on the last 2AZ that I did.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha. A buddy of mine texted me the other day asking if I could help him replace the condenser in his Maxima. I told him I don't have the right tools (vacuum pump, gauges) to do the job right, and he says it should be easy just take it off and put the new one on then fill it with freon. After trying to explain to him that it's not that simple he says "it's cool man I'll figure it out".

Good luck with that :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Ha. A buddy of mine texted me the other day asking if I could help him replace the condenser in his Maxima. I told him I don't have the right tools (vacuum pump, gauges) to do the job right, and he says it should be easy just take it off and put the new one on then fill it with freon. After trying to explain to him that it's not that simple he says "it's cool man I'll figure it out".

Good luck with that :v:

Refrigerant burns are extremely cool.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Automotive Insanity: it should be easy just take it off and put the new one on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Elsa posted:

Automotive Insanity: it should be easy just take it off and put the new one on