Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Another thing I discovered today: permanent weather effects that are associated with Shrines do not go away when you find the Shrine, only when you beat it. You can still waltz in and get the treasure chests if you want.

What? I thought the storm clouds over Thundra Plateau looked cool. And the desert looks way cooler and more mysterious with all the sandstorms going on. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I completely broke that one desert shrine by just flying to it from the mountain.

Nice try throwing the sandstorms up after I already knew where it was.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Spergatory posted:

Yeah. Can't find it at the moment, but they actually manage to glide to it and 'discover it' as a location (announced with official map font and everything). Unfortunately, when they tried to land on it, they phased right through.

Rip, though I guess it makes sense since the dungeons don't actually exist in the world

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I kinda doubt future games will be exactly like Breath of the Wild, but I think the open world nature is here to stay. I would expect themed dungeons to return, as well as a relative return to linearity, but the large and contiguous world will probably remain. Hopefully that will include the dungeons.

I'd kill for a botw-style Zelda 1 and 2 remake.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing they will somehow improve the open world concept more. When Skyward Sword came out, it was promised that future Zelda games would keep suing motion controls. Luckily it was toned down into the ones we have in BOTW.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why would you sneak around interaction with the best character in the game?

But.. But talking to Riju is mandatory?? :confused:

If I had to get a fishwife/husband, Sidon would be the first choice, tho

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

MajorMarcus posted:

Just finished Thyphlo Ruins last night, and I'm so upset that my glow-in-the-dark armor won't allow me to see poo poo. Also, gently caress fighting a Hinox in the dark.

That area is legitimately the best area in the game. It feels like a proper dungeon, and I'm mildly upset they didn't do more with it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
This game needs more dungeons like Hyrule Castle, with good bosses and mini bosses. It's a shame that a Lynel fight where you are trapped in a room is tougher than any of the Divine Beasts end bosses.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I have a new patch notification. Do any of you know what it includes?

E: nevermind its because i bought the expansion pass

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Astro7x posted:

This game needs more dungeons like Hyrule Castle, with good bosses and mini bosses. It's a shame that a Lynel fight where you are trapped in a room is tougher than any of the Divine Beasts end bosses.

More stuff like Hyrule Castle would be fun but that was more for creating a environment for people to focus on fighting and less on puzzles. Hyrule castle is a great design in that it had the duel purpose of letting people gear up fairly quickly from nothing to feeling like the coming savior by destroying all the monsters before you on the way to the end.

Forcing a Lynel fight would probably turn a bunch of people off so making them completely optional (like almost everything else in the game) was the best way to go.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well, there is at least one lynel figh that is 'forced'. Theres a structure in the castle that, if you enter it either from the windows at the top or the gates it closes everything off and the only way to get out is either die or beat the lynel

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well, there is at least one lynel figh that is 'forced'. Theres a structure in the castle that, if you enter it either from the windows at the top or the gates it closes everything off and the only way to get out is either die or beat the lynel

Yeah but I mean you could just not go in there.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

You wouldn't really know it's there until you're in it though, since the lynel spawns in after you step inside

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

El Burbo posted:

You wouldn't really know it's there until you're in it though, since the lynel spawns in after you step inside

luckily there's literally no punishment if you die and respawn outside the room

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There's the shame of not being a powerful gamer :smug:

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
It is kinda dumb that as soon as you get off the plateau, you can grab a pot lid and clear out every guardian around the castle with very little risk and no resources spent.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Actually, that's cool

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Yet another thing I leaned today; if you can get behind a Hinox, it's actually pretty easy to stay there. I don't know if "Royal Halberd proctology exam" is the most humiliating way to kill a Hinox, but it's gotta be up there.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Copper Vein posted:

It is kinda dumb that as soon as you get off the plateau, you can grab a pot lid and clear out every guardian around the castle with very little risk and no resources spent.

You're assuming that everyone is gonna know that. Most people wouldn't even think to try it and will spend hours living in fear of Guardians. They're a microcosm of this entire game; scary until you know the trick. And even when you do know the trick, you still need perfect timing to do it. Mess up, and at best you'll lose a shield, at worst, your entire epidermis.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Copper Vein posted:

*Assuming 100% perfect timing.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Spergatory posted:

Most people wouldn't even think to try it and will spend hours living in fear of Guardians.

This was me. I've got a row of hearts plus 3, full food, full Guardian armor, stasis and I still get nervous. Even after the legs are off and I'm plinking away with the master sword I'm squinting toward the eye wondering if he'll find/shoot me before stasis fills back up and/or death.

It never happens but it instills fear to this day. An artifact of an amazing game. The sound chopping those legs off makes will go down as an iconic "zelda" sound in my mind for years, too. "CHOOooom CHOOoooom CHOOoooom"

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

eonwe posted:

links awakening but in breath of the wild

IMHO Wind Waker HD should have had washing up on Kohilint Island as a reward for beating the game. Even as DLC.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Copper Vein posted:

Yeah it's like the hero has to gradually relearn things he once knew in order to save hyrule wtfff???

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Spending a large portion of the game not knowing for sure whether you're strong enough to take on Guardians yet, and then finally discovering you are, very much seems to be an intended part of the game experience.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Copper Vein posted:

The very little risk is "hm if I gently caress up I am going to lose my shield and get killed repeatedly."

e; not to mention almost no one is going to know that going into it. When I first posted about a pot lid being a guardian slayer a few hundred pages ago, it was definitely not common knowledge. Hell, it still isn't.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've been spending most of my time going after all the armor and it's upgrades for some weird reason. It's fun!

Speaking of armor, is it worth it to get the ancient / guardian armor from Robbie and his robot waifu? That's a lot of ancient parts I need to grind out (mainly gears, so many gears). Money is trivial now that I know how to almost always get a strike in the bowling game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I didn't even know the game had a parry until the tutorial shrine, and I didn't exactly go straight to Kakariko.

Scaling the dueling peaks while dodging Guardians was fun as poo poo.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

seiferguy posted:

I've been spending most of my time going after all the armor and it's upgrades for some weird reason. It's fun!

Speaking of armor, is it worth it to get the ancient / guardian armor from Robbie and his robot waifu? That's a lot of ancient parts I need to grind out (mainly gears, so many gears). Money is trivial now that I know how to almost always get a strike in the bowling game.

Yup. Aside from this game's green tunic, once fully upgraded, the Ancient Armor is the strongest in the game, and has the added effect of powering up any guardian weapons. Plus, it looks really cool.

Beat the game last night, one question I still have, does Link's Triforce brand ever appear in the game? And for that matter, do they even specifically mention the Triforce? I know it appears both times Zelda uses her powers, and on architecture and whatnot, but I think that's it?

Also kind of bummed the Master Sword wasn't really a requirement for the last blow. Does whatever horse you have at the top of your list just appear in Hyrule Field at the end? I had actually ridden Epona to that exact spot, and was wondering if everyone else got a horse at that point. What happens if you don't have a horse registered at all?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 10, 2017

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

seiferguy posted:

I think it is. Go to the front (back?) whatever side of Hyrule Castle that has them crawling everywhere and you'll have enough parts in no time. And there was a ton under one of the labyrinths, can't remember which one though.

As was pointed out, all you need is a pot lid and you're good to go!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 10, 2017

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Spergatory posted:

Yet another thing I leaned today; if you can get behind a Hinox, it's actually pretty easy to stay there. I don't know if "Royal Halberd proctology exam" is the most humiliating way to kill a Hinox, but it's gotta be up there.

"Rotary Claymore-Induced rear end in a top hat Expansion" is my all-time favorite. Just spin for a few seconds.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

yamdankee posted:

I think it is. Go to the front (back?) whatever side of Hyrule Castle that has them crawling everywhere and you'll have enough parts in no time. And there was a ton under one of the labyrinths, can't remember which one though.

As was pointed out, all you need is a pot lid and you're good to go!

Yeah, I've got the timing down on the shield parry, so that shouldn't be too hard.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
I definitely avoided all the big guardians my first time through because I couldn't deal with them. Stalkers were terrifying. But as I got better, it was neat to learn how to shoot them in the eyes, and freeze them for a second with stasis, and to take them apart piece by piece. Gaining the skill to engage the stalkers in combat, and building up the offensive and defensive resources to deal with them was a satisfying progression that I enjoyed.

However, being able to parry the lasers relatively easily and infinitely, and having all the guardians bounce off of you and punch themselves out in a reliable three strikes sidesteps all those other techniques and just seems a bit much to me.

Maybe I would feel it was balanced a bit better if the reflected lasers didn't do so much damage to them and you still had to chop on em a bit.

Oh well, lynels definitely make up for the guardians in the weapon sink dept.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You're assuming a lot in regards to the whole "easily and indefinitely" thing. Perfect timing every time, a complete lack of distractions or other enemies/Guardians trying to engage you, a completely steady mindset that never changes, etc. Yes, if you're perfect, you can easily kill every Guardian in the game in your underwear. You can also do the same to Ganon. That is not a flaw. It's by design.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Copper Vein posted:

Also plenty of replacement rusty shields in the Castle Prison area, two by the korok and iirc a third one nearby or in the town, handy for not wasting good shields on guardian reflection practice

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Of course the last shrine I find is the blood moon one. Is there anything I can do to trigger one?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GobiasIndustries posted:

Of course the last shrine I find is the blood moon one. Is there anything I can do to trigger one?

do something else and wait.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Yeah it sounds mean to say but I think it's the most mentally healthy way to approach time-gated functions in a game like this. I've even needed to tell myself, "listen, there's a ton to do in this game - just come back at the next blood moon. I gotta go show that kid the weapon he's been wanting to see. I got the 55 rushrooms for that other guy, etc. I bet a blood moon will come by the time I'm done with that." Otherwise the game becomes more of a chore to play and none of us want that.

But you did say it's your last shrine, so things might be drying up for you to do. I'd suggest going to your house, sleeping, and as soon as you walk out the door look at the moon. If red you're good to go, if blue hop back in, repeat.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Man I'm pretty lucky. The first time I encountered that shrine the blood moon was already in the process of happening. Though in the process of climbing the thing up to Kass to get the quest, it struck midnight so I did have to load an earlier save to be able to unlock the shrine before talking to Kass.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

KILL. :black101:

No, seriously, go kill stuff. The more you kill things/upset the game world, the more likely the game is to want to reset things.

Personally, I like to use Hyrule Castle. When a Blood Moon is triggered in Hyrule Castle, the game does the ambience and graphical effects but doesn't actually trigger the reset. It will then try to trigger a Blood Moon every night until it sticks. So go to the castle and start laying waste to everything until you see a Blood Moon try and fail to happen, then just go to the pedestal, strip, and wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I've still got a bunch of side quests to finish, and find all the people that give some of those shrine quests just to fill out that completion, it just sucks that I didn't find it when I had like, 30 or so additional shrines left to find.

e:

Spergatory posted:

KILL. :black101:

No, seriously, go kill stuff. The more you kill things/upset the game world, the more likely the game is to want to reset things.

Personally, I like to use Hyrule Castle. When a Blood Moon is triggered in Hyrule Castle, the game does the ambience and graphical effects but doesn't actually trigger the reset. It will then try to trigger a Blood Moon every night until it sticks. So go to the castle and start laying waste to everything until you see a Blood Moon try and fail to happen, then just go to the pedestal, strip, and wait.

That's what I've been doing :) Went near the castle and slaughtered a bunch of Guardians, then stumbled upon a bunch of random small enemies and a Hinox so far.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 10, 2017