Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I dig the old guy aping the nes old guy esthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Now I hope you get a flying mech partway through the game to ease exploration.
Would make perfect sense, make it interface with your phablet

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm getting an NX on release day and I'm super excited to see how Nintendo placates early adopters after it invariably fucks up the launch

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I miss seeing hours of early game footage as played by a blood-thirsty asian woman.
Can't wait for 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
gently caress it, give us app the items that ever appeared in any Zelda. Roc cape, the seasons harp, the hookshot that switches you with blocks, cane of byrnia or whatever, all of them give us all of them

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Skyward Sword and Wind Waker both had the perfect Zelda aesthetic and I'm glad breasts of the wind is combining them together

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
That rune that lets you accumulate momentum on frozen items is so clever I can't believe it's not something incredibly common in physics phuckery games

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I can't believe this beautiful game isn't out yet

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm actually replaying SS right now and I'll be damned if Tentalus isn't the stupidest looking boss ever

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

the dungeon itself owns but then it just has to go with a boss that keeps making dreamworks faces at you

The dungeon also sucks because it's so small and it's the same five rooms and even with the time travelling mechanic it's repetitive as hell.

And gently caress tentalus that boring Mike Wazowski looking mother fucker

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Ice Fist posted:

Since I haven't played that version what did they fix about this from the N64 version?

They make the shot of the block floating up to reveal a new passage super obvious, short of putting a giant neon sign that reads go here you dingus

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8hDuCeG1xg

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Isn't that the end of the fiscal year? Would make sense as a "failsafe we don't actually know when it's coming out if it's even coming out this year" date

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man remember that first Christmas you remember when you opened gifts under the tree and you get super Mario Bros 2 and yo-noid

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Harrow posted:

For once I kinda dig the US box art for something more than the alternative. The blue-and-orange thing is way played out but I dunno, I'm into the whole stare-out-over-the-horizon deal.

Also the English logo for the game is way better than the Japanese one just because it includes the rusted-out Master Sword.

On the other hand the Japanese logo is super retro in a very primal way

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I pre-ordered the $99 edition without knowing what it contains because the guy told me there was only one left.
What's in it

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think it's silly to draw that line of delineation when characters have had extensive dialogue since the SNES era just because, but to each their own.

Now I will forever wonder what Ghirahim's "SICK WITH ANGER" rant would have sounded like with actual inflection. Alas.

I always assumed Ghirahim sounded like the pantsless devil guy from Cow and Chicken

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The voiced bit makes me wonder if they're talking about "the Calamity Ganon" or "the calamity, Ganon" the latter which I prefer because it makes Ganon sound more like a natural disaster and plague rolled into one at that point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So is Ganon's name in this Calamity Ganon then? Because when they came to that line the latin american dub said "the cataclysm known as Ganon"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Ganon the Gerudo Typhoon.

Maybe this is supposed to secretly be a Western-themed game. I hope all those important NPCs/sages you meet get cool nicknames as well.

If TP pulled it off, I don't see why this game can't

Ol' Zelda "Eyebrows" McHyrule.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Yeah and the old man refers to him as Calamity Ganon in bold and red in-dialogue so I guess that's his name now

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Blue seems to be a major color choice. Wonder if it's an aesthetic reason.

I read that it's so Link would pop out more against the super verdant areas

Willing to bet that the kokiri tunic will incorporate a blue scarf too

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 15, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I hope Calamity Ganon is drunk all the time and we fight him when he's so hammered he can't even walk properly.

Now I'm imagining the lead up to Ganon's Tower and Ganondorf being completely smashed unable to stand up without leaning on something and he stumbles to his pipe organ and instead of Ganon's theme he starts playing a mistimed crappy version of The Entertainer

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MokBa posted:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nintendo-explains-differences-between-switch-wii-u-versions-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild

The only information that seems new is about the sound. I wonder if the difference will actually be noticeable.

Someone also translated text from the map. It gives a rough backstory, the details of which most of us have already figured out. But I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case:

“Hylians pass stories of a destined time long past, where multiple races lived and worked together in harmony. The Sheikah Tribe’s blue aura breathed through the land, and this mutual prosperity continued, until a cataclysmic disaster struck. The hero and the princess attempted in vain to seal the terror, which became known as the Calamity Ganon. Divine Beasts awoke from four directions, and deployed a mechanical army which made the king and his people fearful. They fractured Ganon’s power and sealed him… But the Sheikah were banished from the land ever since.”

So I'm interpreting this as the hero and the princess's inability to stop Ganon essentially caused the goddesses to act by awakening these divine beasts and their robo army to defeat him. This somehow pissed off the king or the goddesses who banished the sheikah in retaliation and I'm going to infer the enemies we've seen with the upside down masks are a pissed off splinter group of sheikah that are trying to return to Hyrule?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Would be cool if there was a hard mode that included a hunger meter, not in a green ranger need food badly survival game way, but in a you can't eat anymore to heal because Link's hunger meter is full, and he recovers his hearts slowly while the hunger meter is full

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The trailer literally has the king (presumably) asking Link to rescue his daughter so I wouldn't hold out a ton of hope there.

Please daughter, rescue our goofy neighbor who is your lifelong best friend and probable love interest but will never be confirmed definitely

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Each of the four giant mechanical divine beasts is totally a dungeon

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The shrine music in this game is totally the cave theme from Link's Awakening right

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Not every item is going to be a massive game changer, some shrines will probably contain the usual quiver/etc upgrades or unique weapons/armor/equipment.

Now I want a series of rewards based on the hero's tunic in pretty much every color

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I hope there's a way to actually upgrade Link and friends' physical attributes. Make him climb faster, give him better stamina, improve your horses' running speed, stuff like that.

EDIT: Gliders that glide better, bombs and magnesis with more power/range, so on and so forth.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Evil Eagle posted:

The game awards footage had a second stamina wheel around the first one. Link is definitely getting upgraded somehow.

Yeah, I saw that too, and yeah maybe it's tied to equipment or food but would be nice to make it a reward

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wouldn't a horse need a veterinarian though? No mechanical parts and all

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
The green tunic will totally be the reward for doing everything you need to do before taking on the final dungeon/calamity Ganon

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
They said the item description box only pops up the first time you pick up a new item and won't any subsequent times you pick up the same item, but is that like, forever and ever or just until you shut off and turn the game back on?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I hope there's a hookshot and pegasus boots

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
It's not like they're making the wii u version lovely on purpose, it's just a less powerful system

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is this the first Nintendo with a Zelda game as a launch game? (Twilight Princess came out a couple of weeks after the wii came out right)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Ah, color me educated then

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I unfortunately bought Red Steel and Twilight Princess.

Hey man the first game I bought with my Wii like five months after it came out was Spider-Man 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm playing twilight princess HD and I had forgotten how clunkily Link moved. Like, you gotta do really wide turns and stuff. Very awkward.