Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This game is just my favorite of all time, I think. Every single time I do another playthrough I find something new.

Last night I saw a big tree stump in the distance. As I got closer I saw it was in the middle of a lake with a huge bridge extended to the top of it. Fight all the monsters, clear the place out, find some weapons I have zero business getting yet (I haven't even found kakariko village yet and have 4 hearts), and then it dawns on me.

Holy poo poo. This is the tree stump dungeon from the very first Zelda. Look on the map and it's even roughly the same place.

This game. This loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Can you give an idea of where this place was? I thought that location was just off the west of the Lost Woods and that doesn't sound like you should be up that far already.

Also, you should have 3 hearts until you have put a poo poo ton in Stamina.

It's just south and a little west of the castle. The enemies were definitely above my pay grade and it was hilarious doing a shrine that rewarded me with an edge of duality that I tossed a 4 attack boku club out for.

I always get to enough hearts to get the master sword first and then get stamina after. Collecting and making stam food is pretty easy and I'm bad at video games and get hit and can't dodge.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

So uh, is it :files: to ask about NFC tags? I'm certainly interested, but don't want to get anyone (myself) in trouble.

I've never done that, but fuckabuncha tracking out of print amiibos down.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Would this work?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm getting a 25 pack of them Saturday, so I'm gonna find everything botw related and do that. I've also got card stock cards I'm gonna put the stickers on and label them.

Some people actually go so far as to print out art for them. I found a weird but kinda cool community all built around :files: ing these dumb things. It's great.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

This is literally my favorite game of all time. It is what I imagined in my head as I played the original Legend of Zelda and what I pretended it was when myself and the neighbor kids would "play" Zelda outside together.

I genuinely hope the next Zelda is just this game again, made bigger, more items, additional means of travel and traversal (hookshot would be fun), more enemies, etc. Maybe more quests. Additionally more Tarry towns! Let me rebuild all the towns. 4 more dungeons, 40 less shrines. Or just condense the 120 into 60 and offer twice the puzzles in each shrine. For a world as massive and lively as it feels, dungeons feel incredibly lonely and desolate, rather than the hive of baddies they used to.

I doubt any of that will be the case for a sequal, but if I were spouting my personal wish list, that'd be it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

If you toss on the sheika outfit for for the Banana Bro hideout, it makes it way easier. I think I raised a single question mark my entire time in there (which was like... 5 mins? Long enough to grab some random gems laying around, a horde of fruit).

It can be annoying, sure, but definitely not as bad as it gets a rap for being.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It really is the dumb tiny stuff like that that makes you fall in love with the game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ending spoilers: I think everything wrapped up nicely. Calamity Ganon is Hyrule's major problem, but most of the race's storylines end when you end the threat of their particular Divine Beast. Ganon doesn't seem to be actively doing anything but biding time and getting stronger so it doesn't feel like he's screwing with the villages which makes the Divine beasts the natural storyline endpoint. Ganon being gone means he won't end Hyrule, but his being gone doesn't really affect their storyline.

As for Zelda and Link, the "true" ending was really the perfect happily ever after for them. He keeps wandering and protecting her and she finally gets to be a giant science nerd like she always wanted to be. She's finally free of the burden of her destiny. They talk about rebuilding, too. So it's not like it just says "the end" when you shoot Ganon the last time or something.

As for Hyrule, everything is calm again. People can prosper again. Unless you just want to see Goons mining and screaming "Thanks Link!!" I can't imagine what else the ending would need that wouldn't just be unnecessary fanfare.

Also, this is 100% my own headcanon, but I'm legitimately hoping this opens the way to future LoZ games that aren't Ganon-focused. Let him be dead for a while maybe.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 18, 2019

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Chill Penguin posted:

... where do you get this quest??

This is my favorite drat thing about this game.

I have talked to a dozen people about this game and every last one of them had a cool "Oh man, did you find ___?" story that I didn't know about. Or vice versa.

Play the game however you want, but if you're checking boxes, you're probably missing out on a core gameplay experience of just being rewarded for wandering. It's also why I encourage people to ride roads on their horses. Climbing is great, but I've found so much stuff just riding around and hearing my tablet blip at me.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I feel like Rivali doesn't trivialize anything, it just speeds up a tedious thing. I love, LOVE climbing things in this game, but a lot of the time, you're just climbing something so you can jump off of it. This just cuts out that middle man. You can argue it trivializes towers or maybe parts of the castle, but really that's just more climbing.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Revali’s Gale does to climbing but Urbosa’s Fury does to combat, and climbing and combat are 2/3s of the games major mechanics. Imagine how boring the game would be if you unlocked Fury first and every single fight was just unleashing a charge attack to wipe out every mob in a half mile radius.

Urbosa is on a 12 minute cool down though? And half the time I forget to use it. And usually if I use it it doesn't auto-nuke everything.

Like, if you don't enjoy it, don't use it. No one's forcing you to. It doesn't replace your attack options. And you can just drain it before combat if it makes it that much less enjoyable.

This feels like being upset that the vanish/death combo in FF6 trivializes the game. You can just.... Not do it.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

There's a dlc item that makes enemies ignore you completely

Madpost about *trivializing content*

I started playing this for the 4th time. I STILL found things I hadn't before. Granted, I haven't 100%ed the game, but I have finished it with the good ending and gotten tons of goodies, so yeah.

Yesterday I was on the big bridge and fell off trying look out yonder and parachuted only to find a korok and a chest tucked away in two broken pillars of the bridge. Amazing.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I kinda just like to wander around in the game and see the little things I blitzed past in my three playthroughs. Even after getting 100% of the shrines and a lot of korok seeds, it's still just a very tranquil and relaxing game.

It really is. The quiet piano music, windy fields, birds and wildlife running around. Ah.

Also, for the life of me I still absolutely cannot time the laser beam party correctly. I either break my shield or take a laser blast to the face. :(

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Ancient shield from Robbie's lab autoparries lasers.

Like I was saying, on my FOURTH PLAYTHROUGH IM STILL FINDING NEW THINGS. Bloody freaking hell I had no clue.

Welp, headed there post haste I guess.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

why even bother having "classes" to begin with.

Eyy now we’re talking. If it’s a single player game, just let me do the things and play the whole game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea ultimately it depends on what kind of game you want to make. If you are making a class-based Role-playing game where the story changes based on whether you start as a warrior or a mage, then it's completely appropriate to lock-off equipment from the respective classes purely for gameplay/design reasons.

If it's an open world game like Elder Scrolls or Elden Ring or whatever, then sure let the player go nuts and eventually get 100 in all stats, mastery of all weapons, etc. no big deal.

There are legitimate cases for both decisions was my only point.

Fair point, and that was probably a bit smarmy on my part so my bad.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, I've been saying for ages that you ought to be able to pay x to add y amiibo function to z game.

But eh, Nintendo want people to buy pirated NFC cards instead that's their business.

I own every amiibo and bought them all for 20 bucks plus an app on my phone…. :tinfoil:

Also no you cannot see them.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Yeah over the ravine there's a nature preserve then futuristic cities and such. Hyrule area has the last uncontacted primitive tribes and cultures left on the planet and they pretty much leave it alone and watch from satellites.

I like this thought. Basically Hyrule is a ‘preserve’ and is just observed from afar like a science project or Petri dish.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Zelda Megathread: It’s My Stick on a Box

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Zelda Megathread: BOTW 2: Revenge of the Glues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Zelda Megathread: Fusion for a Bruisin’

Zelda Megathread: Press A to Fuse Ganon to the Master Sword