Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Man, it looks like this game has everything.

Except gender equality. :smith:

But it has shorts!! SHORTS GODDAMNIT.

They're comfy and easy to wear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
This game is batshit fantastic in every way possible. No hand-holdy poo poo, and I super do like the story, even if the voice acting leaves a lot to be desired. I like that despite being gone for a full century there's a lot of people who remember you a lot of them not fondly because you and the princess hosed up big time. Not a fan of zora love triangle part deux. Love the recurring themes and names from other games, though. Especially around zora's domain. :3:

Honestly, this was the best birthday gift I got in a long time. :unsmith:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

GRINK HELCH posted:

I felt like this for the first few hours. I was underwhelmed. Then I had to look for some dudes maracas and I haven't looked back.

Get that good good tree boy his maracas so he can party, damnit.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Calaveron posted:

How long did it take you to realize that pretty much all the named areas are names or references to previous Zelda characters and locations

That's how they named the sages in OoT. Their names come from towns in Zelda 2.

This game goes overboard with it and I love it. There's a LOT of Zelda names they used, too.

Also I finally got to the Rito village. The music threw me for a second but when I understood it, I couldn't stop smiling.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, I should be keeping the Woodcutter's Axe, Torch, and Iron Sledgehammer right?

I'd say yes to the torch, but the one major puzzle you'd need for it, you actually don't if you pay close enough attention.

Yes yes yes to the hammer. Oh man, my life got so much better when I got ore figured out.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I dunno, I haven't had one break that way yet.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Relax Or DIE posted:

I found a cache of pretty decent stuff, with 3 weapons, a bow, and a shield. I looted it once already, but I thought to check and it's back. It's been at least 3 blood moons since I found this spot the first time so no idea if it refills after each one or what.

It's not THE BEST stuff but if you've broken all your toys you could do worse at refilling your pockets. I'll spoil the rest because details will include map and item spoilers (for the bottom left part of the map specifically.) I'm like 25+ hours in with 2 dungeons down.

It's right next to the Geurdo Tower, which is on the border between the Gerudo Highlands and the desert. It's right on the ridge to the northwest of the tower - I marked it on my map with a sword stamp just to try this out.

It's inside of this small hill on top of the ridge. I think with base stats it might be hard to make this glide and climb without food, but you're unlikely to be here with base stats so.

You'll see a small entrance block by rocks, and you'll have to use Statis on the big one and bash it enough to blast it away. There are small rocks behind it as well - so it may not move much with one statis cycle but it usually moved enough for me to slip by, at least. There is an iron rock inside for some reason, but you can't get an angle on it to use the magnet. Well, I couldn't, maybe you can.

Inside is this stuff:

[

A 25 scimitar, a 50 two handed sword, a 14 bow with zoom, a 16 spear, and a 35 shield. The shield in the picture is just a placeholder since the one that spawns there despawned. I picked it up and dropped it when I teleported around for the screenshots, so the game must have considered it discarded.

Hopefully this helps someone - I haven't had too much of a problem keeping geared up but some of the strongest enemies can work through your weapon pool. Mostly I think it's neat that stuff like this respawns.

Bookmarking this, thank you.

Also akkala is literally the worst tower and I got midway through that when a blood moon hit.

Still got it, though.

Finally got to vah ruta before I called it a night. That was the tightest poo poo I've played in a Zelda game in a long assed time. I've also ended up warming up to almost every character I've seen so far. Even Zelda. I'm all about Urbosa though💓

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Spergatory posted:

My playthrough so far in a nutshell, having completed eight shrines and the main quest through Kakariko, Hateno, and finding Zora's Domain:
  • Not realizing the machine parts are needed for upgrading runes, I harvest basically every part I need and then sell them all off to pay for Cool Ninja Clothes.
  • Because drat near everything in the game seems to one-shot me no matter what I'm wearing, I proceed to use Cool Ninja Clothes to sneak around basically every single combat encounter and feel like the world's biggest coward.
It was a gently caress-up, but it's my gently caress-up, so I'll own it, goddamn it. :ninja:

Stealthing is a legitimate form of gameplay I don't give a gently caress what anyone thinks. If it's wrong, then gently caress being right.

I do need to practice more combat, though. This isn't as frustrating as SS was, but I've just been brute forcing most enemies with huge rear end claymores.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Infinity Gaia posted:

Okay that's it I'm officially blind so I'm gonna do a slight cheat here. Can anyone tell me the general vicinity of another great fairy fountain? No need to get into specifics, even just the zone it's in will do. I've been trudging along with my +1 armor but I'm starting to really feel the hurt now that I've finished dungeon 2.

South west of the ridge land tower, I think? The one with all the fuckin' wizzrobes. Anyways, the flower bud is visible from the tower.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Not entirely sure, difficulty seems somewhat scaled to the area you're "theoretically" supposed go to next. Like kakariko's area is still lousy with red bokoblins and the occasional blue for me.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Also go find Hestu. He's right before kakariko, down the hill. Let him dance for you.

If he's not there, try the stables down the road or the lost woods. Have fun getting there, btw

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

checksin posted:

people ask this constantly and nobody answers and it's driving me mad
thread, please just tell my dumb rear end what to do with my shiny rocks

All the guardian loot is used to construct ancient items that are effective against guardians, and will boost your defense against them. Robbie runs a lab in akkala that you can get them from at one hell of a loving cost.

Horns and fangs are used in elixirs and some crafting. If the item description says "it might have another use" then it's for crafting. Elixirs can be cooked, crafting is done through great fairies once you've paid to revive them.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Zore posted:

the special prize is the ability to trigger the maracca dancing animation the big Korok does when you upgrade your poo poo at will. You only need 441 to fully upgrade all your slots

This is the best thing I've heard about this game. gently caress everything else.

Your Computer posted:

Oh yeah, I totally forgot. That reminds me, I absolutely love the design of the Great Fairy in this game. :allears: Are the rest in super dangerous, remote areas? I've been exploring a lot but haven't found any other than the first one. I imagine being able to upgrade twice and get set bonuses is a pretty big deal.

Oh, I figured it would be closer to Lanayru :v:

Someone on the design team has a thing for huge svelt women, I swear. I'm not complaining, though. There's a lot of great character variety with a few exceptions.

Great fairies tend to just be in places that are not... obvious. Two of them are within gliding distance of some of the towers if you look hard enough and one of them is wicked far out of the way.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Calaveron posted:

You need a fire rod for a quest in hatena and an ice rod for a quest I forget where

Korok forest.

Also korok forest is loving great if not for the fact that all the little dudes are just so STOKED you're there. And one of them screams about vegetarians trying to eat his face.

I also like the fact that they gave the great deku tree a complete 180 in how he views Link as being a shiftless, unworthy gently caress instead of being a helpful fatherly-type figure. Just like my real dad! :v:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

al-azad posted:

I figured he would at least be 18 or something.

Humans don't typically stop growing until about 20-21, at least for men, so.

Every link has been at least a bit shorter than the adult models on the major consoles. Except where he's obviously a kid, then very obviously shorter.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
^^^ lol, most of my coworkers and myself are shorter than 5'3". I know short.

Grabbing stuff off shelves is hard :(:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At what point can I use my 8-bit link amiibo? If I go to the amiibo menu on the main screen it tells me I'm not far enough in the game yet?

Have you gotten out of the great plateau? Afaik, you can't use amiibos at all there.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 6, 2017

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I'm just in it for the call backs, tbh. I'm a slut for Nintendo nostalgia.

Lake hylia and the bridge are real close to tp models, which is super nice as someone who faffed around that area a lot

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
Also re: the timeline, my theory is nerds ruin everything by trying to fit everything into a nice little box. The series is much more fun when you don't think about it.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Kirios posted:

Despite having a Wii U, getting a BotW for the Switch has turned out to be a fantastic decision. I cannot understate how amazing portable BotW is on a train commute.

I feel like the people that got it for Wii U kinda hosed up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFtGfyruroU

My excuse is, I recently dropped fat stacks on a new computer. I have no regrets about what I've done to myself.

Also, unpopular opinion coming through: I like Zelda in this game. I'll be honest when I say that the series has not had good female characters or has had few female characters with actual depth - granted, this Zelda is not necessarily a good person, but she's very clearly flawed. She's not like SS Zelda in that she's a pleasant person or your number 1 girlfriend-next-door-turned-avatar-of-God, but both of them have agency goddamnit and that is positively refreshing to see as a woman. :colbert:

Also she's an unrepentant nerd and I like that.

jemsy posted:

I found a lovely little cave full of great ore deposits; worth marking on your map and returning periodically.

Just east of Lurelin there's a rock monster in an alcove. Climb the wall behind it to reach a landing with a little pond and a cave. Go in the cave -> profit.

Also tons of cattle roaming in this region. Shoot and collect.
Bookmarking this, thank you.

There's also a treasure cache really early on near Dueling Peaks and the stable there. End of the river in Hickaly Woods is a small waterfall you can ascend by climbing. There's a bombable wall right there with various weapons and cooked food. There's a second bombable wall in the cave that had a flame sword for me (WHICH IS LEGIT AS HELL). Slightly northwest behind another bombable wall is a shrine. Don't forget the small spirit rupee rabbit in Hickaly. There's bears and a load of decent 'shrooms there as well.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Gaspy Conana posted:

I've had luck using just 5 of a single ingredient (the different variations of mushrooms I think?) to get mid-level.

I got a pro-tier health recipe that was literally a truffle plus four hearty radishes. Full heal plus 14 extra hearts.

Internet Kraken posted:

What does shock resistance even do? I see no clear effect from using it unlike cold and fire resistance.

Prevents you from getting stunlocked by electric weapons. I want to say it also might negate some damage from lightening, but I haven't tested that theory out yet.

Hedrigall posted:

Trying to decide if I should continue the Gerudo quest tonight (next step is tracking down the Yiga hideout) or just explore and try to unlock birb town.

Birb burg fuckin' owns. The inn has the best stat-boosting bed. You get a full extra stamina wheel, and there's a guy who will buy flint off you for 100 rupes.

And the music got me stupid nostalgic and I cried a little.

Obligatory Toast fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 8, 2017

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
See, I wear that poo poo with the Hylian hood, set bonus be damned.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Your Computer posted:

While we're on the topic of fashion, can I say how much I appreciate that they have several headpieces that are basically different hairstyles? :v: The design team definitely went unabashedly all-in on Link being a cutie and I love it.
I'm proud of my perfect son, but especially when he's cross-dressing. :allears:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Actually impossible, probably, since you can't drop the master sword from the menu (they give you an extra weapon slot with it too, thankfully).

Well gently caress that, if I can't leave it, the game shouldn't take it! <:mad:>

Escobarbarian posted:

I put every weapon etc I got for completing the Divine Beasts on the wall of my house and I'm gonna take em all into Hyrule Castle with me when I finally storm the joint :unsmith:

... It's what Urbosa would've wanted.

alf_pogs posted:

this game has the best cast of korokters
Again, those tree babies are great because they are just so loving EXCITED about you! And you're HERE! YAY! :3:

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

dragon enthusiast posted:

You don't carry any raw food? Whenever I get hungry I just mash A and watch link chow down on apples
... I make a lot of pies, okay? They heal like, 14 hearts.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I thought that was a hamfisted way to tell you that you could find that particular item in the area (which you can for that area at least). That has been done in a lot of games before as a means of cluing in a player to a particular thing in one area, Skyrim in particular.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
I've been actively buying amiibos for this game. gently caress you Nintendo, how dare you do this to my money.

I'm kidding, I love 'em, especially the Twilight Princess limited edition one. Wolf Link held his own in Keto Wawai's shrine with me. :unsmith:

VVV Is that a good place to farm ancient cores? Because if so, count me the gently caress in.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

link's supposed to be left-handed so that's like -1, maybe -2 there alone.
I was just thinking about this today and I remember what a cluster gently caress that was when SS came out. Angry times for Zelda fans.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Ciaphas posted:

And I wish I could get into iiiiit :cry:

Gonna blame the sadbrains for this one

It sucks because this is way more adventure/exploring-driven than story driven so if you don't feel something when you start playing, it's gonna be hard to get in. I had way more anxiety issues when I was playing SS so the stealth sections really drove me crazy, but the story kept me playing more or less.

Now I'm super medicated and this game has been positively soothing, especially because if I'm in a situation I don't want to be in, I can just bail. If I'm doing something I don't want to do, I can just do something else.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Pollyanna posted:

So for prepping for these trials, I wanna build up +defense and +attack stuff. What's the best way to accomplish this? Should I use one of each type of ingredient (e.g. Ironshroom + Armoranth + Armored Porgy + Fortified Pumpkin), or should I use all of one type (e.g. Ironshroom x 5)? For some reason, I've got it into my head that the former is more effective and less wasteful, but the latter is easier to pull off.

Five pumpkins makes a healing defense+++ meal, and I'm pretty sure the mix would make a tough seafood skewer that might heal more but offer less of a defense boost.

That said, this doesn't apply across the board to all ingredients, because 5x silent princesses is crap.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Escobarbarian posted:

I need ONE star fragment and then I'm ready to go to Hyrule Castle. Any way to get one right quick?

e: lol I saw one and it fell but nothing shined up. went to where it fell and I'm pretty drat sure it landed in purple Ganon goop

I think at the stable near the lost woods there's a kid who wants you to send a barrel into the air with some octorock balloons. He gives you one as a reward.

There's another in a shrine, I believe

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

TFRazorsaw posted:

Bringing mental health either undermines your point, or has you make said point in a manner utterly repugnant.

Come on. We don't need to sink this low.
Seriously I'm on the second highest therapeutic dose of Zoloft - I'm depressed, not too stupid to play a baby game made for babies. :v:

Let's be real though: its stubbornness that's the issue with reviewers like that. Sometimes you have to figure out how a game wants you to play it and depending on the tutorial design you can feel empowered enough by the game mechanics to do what you want, and I think this game does this well without being condescending and permitting a lot of leeway in terms of puzzle solving and destroying baddies. The trade off is that you have to accept the limits of what the game sets out, like the stamina meter, item durability, etc.. None of that is new to this series or pretty much any game ever, it's about how the game presents itself to the player that can be the issue. Like SS was positively overbearing with its tutorial whereas MM you're given more freedom of movement to understand what's going on and how the in game world was designed to function. I think BoTW strikes a good balance, but compared to MM it's pretty sparse.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you haven't already gotten the Ancient Shield from the Akkala Research Lab, it utterly breaks fighting Guardians completely. It'll passively reflect their eyebeams without you having to parry.

I can't wait to farm some dodongoes guardians!

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

DalaranJ posted:

The biggest problem I'm having playing this is accidentally crouching while in combat. How do I train my hand to stop doing that?

Don't push into the stick.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I am looking forward to seeing what tunes will get into/get remixed in the next Smash Bros.

The composer for BOTW previously managed to take this already chill-rear end song she did for New Leaf and make it into something even better for Smash.

Holy poo poo, yes.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Motto posted:

An "ignore rain effects" set would spur a lot of purchases.

"Increases your grip in rain!"

It's a giant yellow poncho and some wellies.

It's 1 defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Rotten Red Rod posted:

My favorite are the old men in Goron City inn who get huge creepy smiles when you agree to let them massage you. Their expressions are chilling.

The screams are pretty fitting for that, tbh.