Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I really like how stuff far in the background blurs a bit when you're in a fight. It really helps to focus in on the immediate action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Breakable gear is a bit weird. Especially since, presumably, you'll end up getting the master sword at some point which obviously won't be breakable. Wouldn't surprise me if they make it straight up better than any of the degradable stuff.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

On a meta-level, I wonder if this is going to be the Breath of the Wild equivalent of the rented items in Link Between Worlds. Basically, you can find crappy and breakable versions of any item you want anywhere in the world, but each dungeon gives you a good, non-breakable version of one of the game's main items. It would allow you to do the dungeons in any order while still making you legitimately stronger with each one.

That would actually be really cool. If you had a sort of "legendary" version of the two handed sword, club, spear, whatever, then it wouldn't feel like 90% of the weapon types aren't worth using. And you could use the breakable items when you just feel like experimenting.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"...Open your eyes..."

"...Now... RIP AND TEAR!"

*The Sheikah Slate begins to explain the mechanics of the game to Link*

*Link punches the screen*

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I imagine Breath of the Wild's map will be similar to Wind Waker's in style. That is to say, you'll have a lot of just running around in vast expanses of nothing (although I'm sure they'll give Link tools to expedite this) but when you do spot an "area of interest" it'll almost always be worth checking out.

gently caress I am so goddamn excited for this game.

edit: aaaand I just realized somebody said almost this exact thing a page ago.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Exclusive Screenshot Proves New Zelda Takes Place Post-Windwaker:

loving lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wind waker link stabbing ganon in the forehead is the single best thing to ever come out of this series.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Have there been any detailed reports of how it runs on Wii U yet? It seems like all the review copies were for Switch.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rookersh posted:

It has framerate issues during busy moments people say.

According to those with more knowledge then I, the Switch has the same framerate issues, to the same degree, at the same times.

The Switch only performs better when it's handheld only/running at 720p.

Outside of that ( which I assume is a patchable issue, but also all console games look kind of sketchy to me/seem to have framerate issues to me since I'm used to PC gaming ) it is 1:1 in terms of all graphical options, including view distance/depth of field/AA/graphics. Nintendo has come out saying it's a 1:1 version graphically and looks/plays identically, but the Switch version comes with "enhanced environmental sounds." whatever that means.

Just get the WiiU version.

Yeah no way am I getting a Switch, at least not for a long while. I'm just glad to hear it doesn't run like complete rear end on the Wii U.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I like how the longest conversation you have with an NPC in the ENTIRE GAME is some random construction worker you've talked to for like 3 seconds up to that point and it's actually a really touching scene with way more link dialogue than makes any sort of sense.

This game is great.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Zora princesses have a bad habit of giving priceless artifacts to men they hardly know.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wait, weren't the rito in wind waker evolved from the Zora as a result of the water not being hospitable any longer? How does it make sense for a game to have both rito and Zora.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Holy poo poo, the basement of the labyrinth to the north of akkala

"Hello player, here's a pendant for you, isn't that nice? PSYCH, TIME TO FIGHT A HALF DOZEN GUARDIANS"

Thank you, dark souls zelda

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Okay this is driving me nuts. How do you avoid lightning in the storms? I can't move around at all, I start getting little shocks and then about five seconds later instant death. I tried removing everything metal but that hasn't helped.

You're missing something. Go through bows, shields, weapons. Anything metal will be electrified in your inventory.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One time I went to hunt an elk and accidentally used a x3 bow with bomb arrows instead. Carpet bombed a family of deer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Mipha's whole story could've been cooler if there had been any real explanation of why she and link were close instead of just a cutscene where she basically says verbatim "I like playing support <3" while link stares blankly back.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

My assumption was that it was somehow very clear that link and zelda were THE link and zelda from an early age and link was basically being preened to be the hero by training with the various races. Also explains why zelda was so bitter that link took to the whole destiny stuff so much easier than she did.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's pretty much the crux of Zelda's story. Instead of just being a spiritual priestess of a princess like her prior incarnations, she's a clever and well--read scholar studying everything she can. The problem being when she gets forced into playing Princess Zelda against her will she can sit at the shrines, praying all she can and knowing something should happen but she doesn't have that absolute divine belief necessary to call upon Hylia.

Oh yeah the memories are pretty clear on that. I was more just trying to explain why link may have had experience with the Zora as a child.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

That Sidon dialogue is unfortunate because goons are always one step away from getting super weird about stuff like that and that was clearly a tipping point.

Biggest complaint about BotW is no heart pieces. The shrines are fine I guess but now that I've got 14 hearts grinding shrines is mostly busy work. They do negate this to some extent though by having some shrines be mini puzzles to get to like the mazes though.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

Stuck trying to rescue the Goron trapped in the vault; I think you need to use a cannon to blast open the cave-in but none of the ones near him seem aimed at it

Also is there a better fireproof recipe that doesn't cause me to get owned by the abandoned mine area

This took me way longer than it should have to figure out. You can trigger the canons in the middle of moving them between positions.

Oh I guess I should also clarify you can move the cannons by hitting the switch with a weapon.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Right next to the cannons, there's a metal lever.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

How did I just notice the little fist pump link does when you solve a puzzle :3:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I beat the game already and somehow JUST discovered an entire village.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

One of the greatest parts of this game (that I think a lot of open world games could learn from) is that nearly every time you decide to detour, you're rewarded. Like, I just decided to climb the giant fish overlooking Zora's Domain and, when I reached the top, there was a Korok waiting for me. Because of course there was. Breath of the Wild is so incredible at predicting what players will be interested in and where their curiosity will take them and making sure there's something there at the end of the journey.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I do think game reviews are going to come down to the individual reviewer but I also think giving BotW a 7/10 is ludicrous. I'm not entirely sure whether Jim purposefully scored it low to stir poo poo (and I'll admit I think the dude is repulsive so this may be personal bias) but even if he didn't do it on purpose it wouldn't surprise me if he subconsciously scored it lower than it deserves because he feeds off drama.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bloodly posted:

7/10=Bad review. The equivalent of a '70%' score and people are angry. I remember reviews things could 'earn' 50%, or less. There weren't many stinkers that foul, but they did happen.

I think something's happened in terms of reviewing. And I'm not sure exactly what. Has quality really, truly gone up? Or is it that people aren't willing to mark down? Or a mix?

I don't think it's a terrible score but what it means to me is "this game is decent but doesn't do anything that impressive" and I think you're kind of an idiot if you play through Breath of the Wild and don't recognize that it's an incredible impressive game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is there any way to get the snow boots back after you complete the quest for the sand boots?

Kashuno posted:

It's one person's review get over it.

It's something related to the game that people are interested in talking about.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

I certainly realize that. I am awful at video games, readily recognize that I will never truly finish this game*, and yet I realize that it is one of the most impressive pieces of work I've seen from Nintendo in a long, long time.

*I realized this after dying 10 times on the first Stone Talus boss because I am apparently incapable of throwing bombs at that stupid weak point of his

You can just climb him and slap it. He can't hit you when you're on his back

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I think I'm finally about ready to move on from Breath of the Wild. At this point I'm mostly just checking off side quests while I watch tv and I think I've found the last interesting area on the world map (Thyplho Ruins).

That said, if hard mode ends up being half decent I'll definitely be coming back for that.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Is there anything on those huge cliff walls on the edge of the map? I figured it might be sort of entertaining to bring a bunch of stam potions and try to climb one but if there's nothing up there I might not bother.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

On the shrine puzzle with the ball you have to move through the maze did anyone else try turning the entire platform over? It gives you a completely flat surface which makes it so much easier, but you have to hold the controller upside-down.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah an invisible barrier that says "You cannot go any further". That's it.

:/ Lame.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

snoremac posted:

Twilight Princess is better than Wind Waker.

Fight me.

I'm not mad, just disappointed.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Wind Waker had amazing combat, somehow despite being significantly more intricate I still find BotW to have inferior combat.

It also had the best music in the series and the best towns. Windfall Island is top notch Zelda village.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

When I saw the shield parry and the dodge mechanics way back when I thought "awesome, BotW is gonna have Wind Waker combat!"

It's a shame they didn't deliver on that. Flurry is cool the first few times and after that is just a way to make your damage numbers bigger.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Alright time for some serious zelda lore discussion.

I think if all the Links got in a big fight, Breath of the Wild Link would probably win. Dude gets crazy swole over the course of the game and has really strong gadgets.

edit: scratch that, Fierce Deity Link is basically the most hardcore motherfucker ever born, but I'm ok with disqualifying him.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 15, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised to see them add more/tougher variants of enemies to the overworld for hard mode. Really force the player to approach enemy camps with strategy. If you don't want to burn through your gear, you better make sure you use the right armor, buffs, and the environment to give you every advantage possibly. Or, for camps that don't have locked chests, just sneak in while they sleep and steal their poo poo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I've been playing some Horizon Zero Dawn and, while it's VERY pretty, it really makes me appreciate the very clean art style of Breath of the Wild. Harvestable items in Horizon have to have little pop ups so that you can spot them, whereas in Zelda they don't need to do that because all the resources are very noticeable from a distance. Of course, it helps that Zelda has significantly less stuff on screen at once, so this isn't so much a knock on HZD as it is just me continuing to be impressed with the lengths BotW goes to to have as few HUD elements as possible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

BotW has a pretty cluttered HUD though. I mean all the info it provides is useful but it doesn't need to be present constantly. I wish I could turn off everything but the health bar and minimap since that is the only thing I really miss when playing in pro mode.

Uh, does it? It's got a few things in the bottom right corner, a few things in the top left. I mean, I guess once you've got a ton of hearts they take up a decent amount of real estate but other than that I think it's extremely clean.

Compare it to something like this:

You've got icons all over the place and they move around the screen. It's much harder for your brain to ignore them. (and I think this is a less intensive HUD option too because it doesn't show the health bar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Maybe it changes the window for parries?