Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

The worst are the two shrines on either side of the split peak that require you to remember wtf is going on in one to solve the other. Thank god for the screenshot button.
I thought we were supposed to use the in-game camera :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Gyro aiming CAN be far superior (See: splatoon)
Am I in the minority that I tried it for like 10 seconds and immediately turned it off in Splatoon?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I really enjoyed most of the gyro shrines but I just couldn't get a handle on gyro+stick aiming at all.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Lol that you only tried the recommended default controls for ten seconds before deciding you knew better though. Lol
Lol do you also think this about people who do/do not invert the Y-axis

Also Splatoon is the same game that inexplicably slowly turns your character when you try to strafe so lol at taking its word for what are good controls

Also also this is with a Pro Controller which does have much better sticks, that might help.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Bloop posted:

But again, I respect anyone's preference to not use it and obviously anyone with accessibility issues
You've been attempting to dunk on people for not using it for like four consecutive posts now but okay.

I'm happy for people who can use it and enjoy it but it immediately felt like rear end to me. It was imprecise and had a bit of latency and I had to sit upright and be very careful of how I oriented the controller and gently caress all of that in my console video games. That doesn't take hours to decide on.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I found the customization stuff right before I fought Ganon, with 120 shrines + DLC (except for Trial of the Sword) complete. Was inadvertently forced into facing Ganon with a purple-maned royal white horse named Ke$ha and I wouldn't have it any other way. :colbert:

Loucks posted:

Accidentally knock him off a cliff while fighting, then go figure out how to get him back.
Horse lives for the horse god :unsmigghh:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I loved the texture and model improvements that they made but man the animations, especially running, just seemed off to me somehow. Maybe it's the non-garbage framerate.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/nintendoamerica/status/1395794243868938245?s=21

I understand that having far away places look like an impressionist painting was a technical choice to overcome the Wii’s low power and inability to have good draw distance, but removing it kinda sucks because it was a big part of the game’s aesthetic… at the same time that framerate is :discourse:
For a second I thought they were jumping from Skyloft into the sky with no load and I was :aaaaa:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Too bad it clipped into the side of mountain and disappeared when scientists got near it.
:lol:

Skyward Sword was fine. I found it much more charming than most of the others, even if the sprint mechanic loving sucked and "you lost all your items and have to sneak around" has been terrible in every Zelda game it's been in. The controls are perfectly manageable once you get used to them, too.

LBW is downright delightful.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Shiroc posted:

The biggest problem I remember having with motion controls when I played it on WiiU was that it registered me trying to put my hand back to a neutral position as a swipe.
This was my issue with it, too. Boss is open on the right side, swipe left, got it. Oh, boss is exposed on the right side again, swipe... more left...

There was a button to re-center, but that doesn't fix that problem.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

The land in those refers to the area not the geography.
As an another example, like any Icelandic town lol

foss, fell, etc etc

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

A few seconds in to hearing this in-game I found a safe place to camp and listen. It’s by far my favorite track in the game (both outdoor and indoor and especially how it fades in between them) and one of my favorites of the entire franchise.
Not an emptyquote. Same exact experience.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I’m pleasantly surprised at how satisfying the motion controls with the Joy-Cons are, though the Loftwing took some getting used to (it also doesn’t help that the game literally never tells you that you can “flap” the right controller to gain altitude)
This was my exact problem when I played it on Wii, it was very frustrating. Just slowed down and sank into the clouds.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

hatty posted:

You make your own stamina fruit and keep them in your pocket
Stamina is stored in the balls

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It says flap to ascend, yes, but then in practice that's not what the loftwing seems like it's missing when you're loving up. "I don't want to ascend, I want to go faster at this altitude!"

In hindsight the basic principles of flight would dictate that I should try ascending, but I was taking the game's word for it that it would just make me go up. So the bird slowed to a crawl and dropped out of the sky. Seems like a totally reasonable thing to miss.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Zeron posted:

It's kind of amazing they didn't introduce a Swift Sail equivalent
I'd be fine with just a gentle reminder that "flying through the rock cheerios is far and away the fastest way to get where you want to go, stop overlooking them."

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

what if we made them little tiny dungeons but like a hundred and twenty of them

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I like how Kilton is a stupid crypto bro who sells items that should be illegal.
it's delightful, he even makes a Disrupt The Market joke

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The chests are always there whether you've whacked the appropriate cube or not, they change color and "activate" from specific cubes. If it's not opening and there's a badge logo thing on your map, there's a different chest nearby.

edit god dammit

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Like, I know what Zelda is all about, it's just that normally I go out to provincial parks a few times a year with Mom so we can look at birds and moths and wasps and fungi and flowers and I have cabin fever and I'm channeling that into whatever game lets me look at critters.
For what it's worth, that's what inspired Pokemon.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Edit: in case people care, Fi is pronounced like the Greek letter Phi and not like Fee.
What. The. gently caress.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I never even got the goddess walls right with the wiimote, and by god I tried.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I ran into the same issue. I found that if I delayed a half second longer before my next strike to let them set up their block, they'd be sort of locked into their new parry position and I could hit them. There might be some sort of pseudo-Ghirahim mechanic where you have to draw their attention by pointing your sword away but if that was the case I couldn't tell for certain.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bluff Buster posted:

Hey hey hey. You also got a sparkly triple jump that lets you take no fall damage, which lets you ... get down from the castle?
:stare:

I have 120-star'd that game multiple times and never knew this.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Isn't that in the Oracle games?
Yep, Subrosia, unless I'm forgetting something else.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

That's actually where I went looking for the quest that mentioned a wounded mountain or whatever, joke's on me I thought I was clever :(

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

That actually is the solution to that quest though so I'm not sure why you're saying joke's on you.
Oh, maybe I was thinking of another mountain I checked first that seemed more obvious to me from the wording.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Raposa posted:

Maybe you were thinking of dueling peaks since it was 1 mountain that was cut in half or whateva?
Oh, I remembered- the quest is worded "tall, pierced mountain" and I thought it meant the giant sword stuck in Gerudo Summit, because it's literally pierced.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Today my son found out and taught me that if you shoot a hinox in the eye with a bomb arrow it incapacitates them for like a full three seconds.
During Trials of the Sword I realized that you can stasis a hinox for just long enough to stun them with a follow-up arrow, that made things quite a bit easier

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Just wait till you try to stable a bear.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Equip lightning-proof gear and get all up in Farosh's personal space before letting it rip. :twisted:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Master Mode has increased weapon durability? This is the first I'm hearing that.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Lol the Faeries are awesome. Everybody in Highrule wants to gently caress Link, but they are the ones who accomplish those dreams
Lol. My fiancee had a somewhat different reaction to Link's interactions with the fairies. "Did... did she just assault Link? What the gently caress?"

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

BRJurgis posted:

*I

SERVE

NONE

BUT

KOROK

Lol this was a blast from the past

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Also, that’s just, like, straight up wrong. There are maybe 3-4 enemies in the game that you can’t just aggressively rush down and just whale on, unless he means the bosses? If you’re standing around and waiting for a Stalfos or a Lizalfos so you can epically counter them then you have terminal Dork Souls brain, Ocarina of Time was designed for 8 year olds
I haven't played it in years, but now you've got me wondering if I'd approach it differently if I played it nowadays. I did the "wait for an opening on every enemy" thing as a kid because that was how I thought you were supposed to do it and everything else I tried got me wrecked. :(

The Deku Nut thing is especially intriguing, I remember thinking "why come they keep giving me these forever" and never thinking harder about it lmao

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Lol I completely forgot about that part of LttP, that's pretty well done.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I never realized why I hated the owl statues and those two posts summed it up perfectly. Useless information burying very important information.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Rynoto posted:

The oracle games are both really good and well worth tracking down / emulating. The extra stuff from linking the two together is a mechanic that feels almost quaintly archaic nowadays as well.
That was the only way to get the true ending with the real villain, right? It has been so long, my entire memory of it is fuzzy.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

On the music kick are there any good fan renditions of songs anyone could recommend?
My personal favorite is Theophany's Majora's Mask albums. There are two that I know of, and the Observatory track ("Moon's Tear") is just :discourse:

https://youtu.be/F4jdLygR-dI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

That was my issue as well. I never actually reached the end. I got to the very last bit where you have to fight your way down the temple grounds through hordes of Bokoblins and just gave up. Killing each one of those fuckers takes too drat long and it isn't even fun to do! It doesn't even feel like the end of the game at that point in terms of power levels. You have to do the exact same song and dance every time with the Bokoblins that you did at the very beginning of the game. Final boss looks neat from what I've seen. Oh well!
That's fascinating, the last run down the spiral was one of my favorite bits because you suddenly felt so overpowered and could plow through them all swinging wildly.