Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Inverness posted:

I'm not the only one that suspects this guy is Ganondorf or related to him, am I?

I've heard a number of people say this, but there's about as much support for it as there was for link being a girl. He certainly doesn't speak very positively about 'calamity ganon'. Also Aonuma implied that he's supposed to remind you of the old man from the original LoZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

That's Chiko style.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Duck Hunt one would also work in this hypothetical scenario, but I don't know how effective he'd actually be.

Now that I think of it, the trailer did have ducks in it.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Boogaleeboo posted:

The arrows we've seen are bomb, fire, ice, and lightsaber. Because like any rational person would the Hyleans took light sword technology and decided the smart thing to do was put it on the end of a stick and launch it at people really far away.

e: I look forward to finding some in a cave nine seconds into a game and using them to hunt deer.

I thought the fire arrows just exploded when they hit, but if you light a regular arrow on fire it will apply the fire effect but not explode.

Edit: Never mind, I just found a video of fire arrows, and they only project their fire explosion in a small radius, not like the one you see in the video where LInk is fighting a guardian.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 19, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Finally, canon answers for where does Link come from, and what does Link want.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I would say no, but the dog makes it worth it. Regardless if you enjoy TPHD or not get Wind Waker HD afterwards for even better Zelda adventuring.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who refers to wolf link as 'the dog'

Moose-Alini posted:

They will never stop making Zelda, and that brings me much comfort.

What effect will the brexit have on Hyrule's economy?!?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Suspicious Dish posted:

i disagree, i think they both have The Good Part and also lovely Unfixable Zelda Moment that makes me sigh but that's just my opinion.

I'm looking forward to seeing how both of these things are implemented in BOTW.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Patter Song posted:

Ways BOTW could suck:

1. It turns out that the 100 shrines are all palette swaps of four or five basic designs.
2. The four main dungeons are cryptic impossible bullshit on a grander scale than ever before.
3. The bosses are lackluster.
4. The people/towns lack the life of towns in pervious Zeldas.

I think only #1 is likely, but still. What would a Zelda game be without dicking around in a town with a windmill and horribly ugly NPCs who make bizarre noises when you talk to them?

I think I actually want 2 to be true.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

a.lo posted:

GameXplain has their BotW analysis up and it is over 2 hours long

I want to know what Andre puts on his resume if he ever looks for another job.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

s.i.r.e. posted:

Man, I'm really not digging the muddy as hell world textures when Link's using his Sheikan iPad telescope thing, I guess they didn't want to deal with pop-in but man it looks ugly.

Get ready for the most extreme mipmapping in any video game to date. Only Nintendo could bring us this breakthrough.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

JustJeff88 posted:

The above, but to the nth power. I tried to do a modest challenge run of the first quest not long ago, but I eventually became frustrated and did a completionist run. I enjoyed it and decided to move onto the second quest, and gave up fairly quickly. The difficulty of the second quest, having totally unintuitive mechanics such as using the flute on random overworld screens and the asinine placement of the main dungeon treasures made me lose interest quickly.

My favorite bullshit mechanic in the 2nd quest is walking through walls. There's a wall that you must walk through to beat the second quest, but there are no walls you can walk through at all in the first quest.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I think the thread might be interested in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdiKzCzLdpo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I like that post. I mean, yeah, I feel the cold bony hands of death grasping for my soul. But kids still like Nintendo, so something is going right.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh wait, make that 25.

That's not fair. The Phillips CD-i was ahead of it's time.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

coffeecup posted:

YES! Each Zelda game actually involves some intervention by an aged Groose, unstuck from time. From behind the veil of eyesight, he tries his best to aid the Links. Sometimes he helps right wrongs, but sometimes invites unforeseen ones.

Hoping each time that the next leap will be the leap home.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Gorgolflox posted:

Probably BS Zelda, Parallel Worlds, and Goddess of Wisdom. They are ROM hacks (except BS Zelda that is from the Satellaview) in repo carts. $80 is too high unless they come with all the packaging, you can get just the carts on ebay for like $40.

I've always found it amusing that of those the one called BS Zelda is the real one.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is this art from Nintendo Power? Those buildings really remind me of the Castlevania 2 map I saw.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Mulva posted:

And now we must fight with knives.

Knives and bucklers, Zelda 2 moves only

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

spit on my clit posted:

ubisoft: we have three hundred feathers and flags to collect in Assassin's Creed: Dawn of the Dead Series

nintendo: you are like a little baby, watch this

When you put it that way, I hope this degenerates into the world's dumbest pissing contest.

ubisoft: 3000 emails in watchdogs 3

nintendo: 9500 baby metroid genes in metroid prime 4

ubisoft: 24000 historically inaccurate diary excerpts in assassin's creed n+1

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

romanowski posted:

heck, i'm gonna buy it 900 times

There will be a different preorder bonus package for each korok seed. Now what are you gonna do ubisoft?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Lemming posted:

It's cool, I'll put the screen in my GPS holder and hold the JoyCons and the steering wheel at the same time

It's too dangerous to do two different types of activities at once. Please only do this with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Phimosissy posted:

You have to enter your name as GROOSE

smh, if you don't enter the name Chico.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Iunno, I just know they're out there.

Somewhere

You have yet to show any solid evidence of the existence of these so called spoilers, Mulder.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Somewhere at ESRB there is a document that explains which adjective to use to properly describe cleavage.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 18, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Goddamn I'm sick and tired of watching that stupid man bird laugh why is he laughing IS HE LAUGHING AT ME

They really want to win the Dark Souls crowd over. Everyone laughs now.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sam Faust posted:

At about 0:31, it looks like they shot a thrown rock with an arrow and bounced the rock back at the bokoblin.

We've already seen that you can Agnihim projectiles back at enemies with melee weapons, so I don't have any doubt this is possible.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If you had just come here first, I would have been easy to beat. But because you wasted your time finding all 900 Koroks, I now have 16 different forms. Each form is somehow more pig like than the last.

The last form is just a pig, which you have to sneak up on, pick up, and throw in a pen.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ehud posted:

This guy ran all the way from south to north. It took 28 minutes :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqRu3lwuEVY

He estimates that east to west takes 33 minutes.

That is a big world.

"I am going to begin this however by saying there will be no spoilers in this video."

*Immediately shows map with dozens of labeled locations.*

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Please tell me goons, is a new console popular?

Yes, all new consoles are popular.*

*except the Ouya

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Asking this for when the second dlc pack dungeon turns out to be related to the INVASION:

Yo there was sci-fi poo poo throughout series like Ultima right?

Not to go too off topic I'm just wondering if any of that ever seriously broke nerd immersion back in the day when the games were new and if people actually got upset about that.

The first trilogy featured a lot of sci-fi. They have space travel, time travel and spoiler alert one of the bosses of the game is an evil computer.
The second trilogy purged these elements, but there were some callbacks in the third trilogy.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Is Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 really that good???

"Whoa, have you guys played this game called Legend of Zelda: OOT? It's so good. What if we made that, but with skateboards?" - Tony Hawk

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I still can't believe there's finally an extreme sports game worthy of assuming the crown of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

LeninVS posted:

The performance of the game on WiiU is garbage. Framerates drop like crazy if you attempt to do anything but look into the distance without moving.

Nintendo, cleverly, only gave out Switch copies for reviews.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

man now i want to eat PIZZA and play ZELDA

PizZelda ?!?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

It's gonna be interesting to see how people who have spent the last decade or so saying, "You know what they should do? Go back to the beginning. Just do Zelda 1 again but make it as next-gen as you can get." handle this game.

Have people been saying this? If so, I too would like to see that.

Edit: I mean I really like the first game, and I'm pretty sure my plan is going to be
1. Start the game up.
2. Squeal with joy until I faint from lack of oxygen.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 4, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is there a tutorial for dodging and combat techniques? Maybe I missed it because I never used lock on when it was mentioned?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Kirios posted:

I think it's literally the one at Kakariko.

That's where I'm supposed to go next, which is good because my current strategy is murder everyone with bombs or arrows and if they spot me run for my life.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

Oh crap, I wish I knew that. I was trying to hold them parallel to one another like an idiot.

That's why it says to use the grip, so people don't have to confuse themselves over which joycon has which extra components.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I thought I was gonna need stamina food to get up the hateno tower, but it turns out I just needed fire arrows.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

The chest symbol appears next to a shrine once you've collected all the treasure inside right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

I kept getting load tips that said, "Bokoblins are omnivores, they like to eat meat, but also fruit."
And I said "Why are they telling me this? Every other tip is useful."

I rolled an apple down a hill. Yes, you can bait monsters with food. Does anyone have any tips on how to make that useful? Not being able to throw food seems to limit the applications.