Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Keiya posted:

Actually, that's a bit worrying. Not about Zelda itself, but it makes me wonder if NX is going to have zero backwards compatibility...

I hope it doesn't, other than emulated older titles. Nintendo constantly gimps their new consoles so they can play older games. It would be nice if they went SNES style and made something that was superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finally got around to playing SS. I just finished the first dungeon.

Controls + Fi make this the worst Zelda.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FirstAidKite posted:

Welcome to me every time someone mentions having trouble with Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

I guess we're just lucky, which is unfortunate since that means other people aren't lucky enough to be able to experience the cool and fun games :(

PH and ST had easy to use controls. SS has a serious problem with the camera.

Oh, I have to jump to this rope..well it looks like I am facing it.

Runs out, jumps, misses by inches. Has to run around again. If I take my time, I can line it up just fine. The problem is this is not a fluid movement. It's making tiny movements left and right over and over and readjusting the camera until it is right. Move left, drat it...too far. Adjust back right. Off again. Back and forth.

This is a bad control scheme.

The sword works, it's just not a very fun combat method because now in order to use the sword, you have to do two things rather than one. First you have to put the sword where you want it, then you have to swing. Rather than just pushing a button to swing. It was a failed neat idea.

But the camera really is the biggest failure.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

mabels big day posted:

Breath of the Wild is going to be the greatest game ever made.

Non "South Park" edition

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The NX is going to use a kinect like camera attached to your wrist as you mimic pushing buttons on a controller while wearing a VR headset and standing on a balance board.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DanielCross posted:

So from what I'm hearing, if these rumors are correct, the Wii U will be the more powerful system, and thus have the better version of the game?

No. It will be at least as powerful as a souped up 360/PS3. It is possible that the chips it will be using will be the newer generation. If so, it will be close to the bone/PS4.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
At least it isn't SS. Go drat, what a horrible game.

I am guessing I only have 2-3 dungeons to go. Just finished the ancient cistern.

I loving hate this game. I already know it will be ranked dead last once I do my final rankings.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"You found a monster horn, now hold A to speed up this text and then hit A again so we can load your inventory screen where you have to hit 1 to Exit"
Save game. Log out.
"You found a monster horn, now hold A to speed up this text and then hit A again so we can load your inventory screen where you have to hit 1 to Exit"
Fuuuuuuuck.
Keep playing.

The game was not QA'd. These aren't bugs, but they are awful QoL things that should have never made it into the final game.

Fi is super annoying, too...but not as bad as the repetition.

And the controls are not intuitive. They are forced. Oh, you are running around just fine using the analog stick? TOO BAD! NOW YOU HAVE TO USE THE loving WIIMOTE FOR NO REASON.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nate RFB posted:

I prefer SS to TP but I also played SS with a ton of QOL enhancements turned on via Ocarina, like instant text display and disabling the majority of Fi's interactions with the player outside of cutscenes.

Did you also have motion controls off?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BillmasterCozb posted:

I can't beat the big goron guy in Death Mountain. I put the iron boots on as he charges at me, i press A to grab when it says "Grab", and yet i still get knocked into the lava. Am I missing something?

I believe you need to be standing on a magnetized section.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've gotta be getting close to the end of SS now. Just finished fire temple. What a loving slog this game is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chieves posted:

You know you don't have to play the video game if you don't like it, right?

I liked every other Zelda game. It's the only one I haven't finished. Also, my complaints don't mean much unless I finish first.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not even close, iirc.

Sigh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I keep getting the sense that Nintendo said "hey, let's find a way to make people buy a wii motion plus, let's force them to with our big game!"

Then they created a bunch of excuses to use it in places where it was totally unnecessary. This is bad game design. Then they didn't have enough QA and left in a bunch of really lovely annoyances. More bad game design.

The positives that SS has going for it are far outweighed by the negatives. As such, it is the worst Zelda. By far.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hey, I am just making GBS threads on SS. No need to poo poo on TP, as well. Can't we agree that both are inferior Zeldas?

TP > SS, of course. This is mainly due to the HD remake, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
WW is the best 3d zelda.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the big question is why Nintendo doesn't do more QA before making these things. Zelda was gold for years. Constantly improving on the initial ones. Then they seem to have hit a wall. It's been approximately 10 years now and only 5 games. 4 of which are plagued with problems and one which is close to the best in the series. The majority of those problems could have been resolved with some simple QA and the developers listening when people said: this isn't fun, it's needless change for the sake of change.

It looks like BotW is going to get back on track, but who knows. It's possible that it will be royally hosed up, too.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The problem is they didn't do QA. It's obvious they didn't do QA because if they had, they would not have made games harder to play.

PH and ST both have worse control schemes than every other handheld Zelda. The funny thing about all those other handheld Zeldas? They used the same controls with additional buttons when they became available. They also didn't suffer from stupid overworld movement decisions. These are obviously bad design decisions that are apparent immediately.

As for SS and TP, that's even worse. They are gimmick controls. GC and Wii did not have dual analog sticks so the movement wasn't going to be perfect, of course. But forcing them on the player, rather than having them be an option, was a bad move. That's not my biggest complaint, though. It's the dialog boxes. I am guessing that those add a couple hours of nothing time to a play through. Again, obviously skimped on the QA.

My guess is they made sure there were no bugs and that was good enough. They didn't add simple QoL things that would have made the games vastly better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nate RFB posted:

I can hack

Uh....

This is not a valid justification for liking the game. If you hack it, it's not the same game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Reinanigans posted:

SS controls were good because I could do it just fine, and I play like...maybe 3 games a year, and most of them are turn-based RPGs. If a casual motherfucker like me can get the hang of the controls within minutes, there's no excuse for people who play games regularly.

It's not that we can't use the controls. It's the they are needless and less fun.

See, in SS, you have an analog stick to move around most of the time. But when you fly or swim, all of a sudden you have to use the motion control. That's stupid BS and makes the game less fun. In 99% of games, you push a button to swing the sword. In SS you have to swing the control around and it's not very precise. This makes the game less fun.

In the DS games, you could do 100% of the same things with the D pad and buttons. But they forced in stupid touch pad controls. They are usable, but it makes the game less fun.

In a different light: if you have to think about the controls, they are bad. Controls should be easy and intuitive.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mr Phillby posted:

PH and ST are hugely flawed games in a lot of ways, but the stylus control scheme let them do some really cool things with the puzzle design.

Yeah, like making a stupid flute puzzle mechanic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SeANMcBAY posted:

PH and ST are pretty good if you play the hacked versions that allow traditional controls.

Please tell us more.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Watch BOTW just be a huge sandbox with a minimal story.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Saw Symphony of the Goddess last night. I don't recommend it. They didn't even provide a program, you had to wait in line and pay $10. I have never seen a play/symphony/musical/whatever..this sort of thing that did not provide a loving program. Even the ushers were surprised.

As a show, it was okay. A couple tracks were played multiple times in different arrangements. I would have preferred the show be 30 minutes shorter instead. Also, the videos on the screen were often repeated and were basically commercials. In fact, they just showed commercials before the show started.

It seemed very much like a money grab and less like a love letter.

4/10

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Keiya posted:

WWHD is better in every way but the lack of the Tingle Tuner. Probably one of my favorites in both incarnations, though not nearly as good as LA. LA's 2d though.

LA is 2nd best 2d. LBW is #1.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Whizbang posted:

LBW is 3D.

It's a 2d Zelda w/ 3d effects.

Every handheld Zelda is 2d.
Every console Zelda from OoT on is 3d.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Actually every Zelda game has been 2d. They are all played on screens. Those only have 2 dimensions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Welp, guess it's time to close the thread.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SylvainMustach posted:

I should've mentioned that I'm playing the HD TP on the Wii u so is it somehow easier to do without the motion on? Also is there any good place to get bows or bombs with the bridges out. I couldn't find anyone in castle town

Why would you be using motion controls at all?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I finished Zelda 1 when I was 18 months old. I didn't use a guide because we were too poor to afford lights. I had the NES connected to my TI-83 because we didn't have a TV, either. If you think it is hard, then you must really be bad at video games.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I mean I think his video on the water temple is wrong because he doesn't recognise the most obnoxious part of the temple.

It isn't the floating block, although that's terrible. It's that the path to Dark Link has two key doors. The problem is that they're separated by two rooms even though that path is linear. You can easily go in, thinking you're progressing with a single key, solve two puzzle rooms only to get to the Dark Link door and realise you've missed a key. At which point you then have to backtrack through both the puzzle rooms and go and find the key, which is likely due to the floating block.

That is needlessly frustrating for a player, given that they have no advance warning that they'll need a second key. What he doesn't recognise is that sometimes backtracking is just a massive annoyance instead of a cool and new experience.

I think you miss his point. If you had got both keys, then you could go forward. And both keys were available at that time.

He constantly refers back to an earlier dungeon where you have some choice about what doors to open. If you only have one door and find a key, it's pretty obvious what to do. If you find 3 doors and one key then you have to choose a direction. At this point the dungeon is no longer linear and allows for the player to actually explore.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just replayed LoZ using a walkthrough and wow, you can get seriously OP for the first few dungeons pretty easily if you know where all the overworld stuff is to start.

Definitely in the top few most challenging LoZ games. A far cry from LoZ2, though.

Anyway.

LoZ: Death of the Child.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And there is absolutely no benefit to getting everything. No achievements. No new content. Nothing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
4/6 palaces down in Z2. Think it's time to grind out a couple levels before moving on. P4 was a lot easier than P3. I vaguely remember things getting easier up till the end game. But man, Death Mountain > P3 is just all sorts of hosed up.

For someone who is familiar with both Z2 and Dark Souls. Which is harder?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

well why not posted:

is there a trick to the second race with Ingo? I'm on 3DS and the stick keeps sliding out from under my thumb.

Wear rubber gloves.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope BotW takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Suspicious Dish posted:

oh nice it's in my city -- let me see if I can get some coworkers to go. any goons in SF want to team up?

My gf and I got tickets for night one, game 2.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No voices? Seriously? Wow.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought we might have know this already?

I haven't been watching any of the footage. So am really shocked that ... actually, I'm not surprised that Nintendo is 20 years behind the times. Oh wait, make that 25.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I replayed Z1 and 2. Then I started LttP and got bored right as I entered dark world. This further cements in my mind that this is the most overrated game in the series. It really hasn't held up well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Apparently in BotW, Link will be playing banjo. It's about time.