Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
I'm really hoping that the costume is treated as the plot coupon this time. Like you brave the dungeon to get your enchanted shoes, belt, and, eventually, the legendary hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure it's a version of King Daphnes Hyrule from Wind Waker.

Yeah, my money's on him being the king from the cataclysm preserved or whatever Link was.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Honestly that is on people expecting too much. I kinda knew that it'd be exactly what it was, except I did expect it to look maybe a tad better than what it did, but I wasn't hugely disappointed.

Except that I expected to play as a hacker, not an autistic uncle working part-time IT thinking he is batman and getting involved in underground like a retard.

Yeah, the crappy characters and jumbled plot sunk it more than the bland open world. It's to be expected given how many scripts were blended to make it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

I hope you continue to meet weirdos in the most remote parts of the wildernis who do their own thing, like the awesome telescope dudes in TWW, or the various NPCs from Windfall Island who had their day jobs all over the map and returned to Windfall for getting drunk at night.

Did they say how they're going to handle towns? Will those be separate areas, or are they part of the overall world map? Because if they're integrated into the overworld, by the gods, I will find a way to kite an ancient robot of mass destruction right into the middle of it

I doubt they'll go full on Bethesda and let you slaughter towns for fun or let random monsters kill them all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just have this image of Sakurai trying to step in to share notes with the newer programmers, only to be quietly herded out by Miyamoto.

I want a big "No Sakamotos" sign outside the door.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

That box art looks unfinished.

It's a shame, the vividly colored painted look of their concept art is great, wish they suck with that. Not sure what a muddy brown logo adds either.

I really hope that they don't clutter it up with more details to look more "action packed." It looks great as is.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

bman in 2288 posted:

That's silly. But you know what else is silly, but also loving rad?

This.

Many hours will be lost on just finding various ways to launch Link. I'll completely forget what the quest was supposed to be a few hours into it and have no regrets.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ozza posted:

I've just finished playing through Spirit Tracks, and though I enjoyed it I thought that the developers needed a little longer to work on the implementation of rail travel. It just takes way too long to travel between points, and the world feels smaller for not being fully explorable. I would have been happier even with a style of overworld travel that was like the boat in Phantom Hourglass / Wind Waker - the tracks could have magically just appeared under the train wherever it went. Aside from that, I did enjoy it though - especially the central role of Zelda, and the fact that she had a different personality than usual.

Spirit Tracks had some of the best personality in the series. I would love to see an enhanced remake of Spirit Tracks at some point.

Keiya posted:

Her rant in the tower when she tells you to go off and adventure while she stays behind is one of the best bits of dialogue in the entire series.

Between that, the super-girly Phantoms under her control, and generally being hilarious, Ghost Zelda is my second favorite fairy companion in the series after Midna.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

Well, there's the Great Fairy's Sword...

And in WW you at least got to pick up Darknut swords and Moblin polearms and wave them around until the next time you went through a door.

Windwaker is my favorite Zelda, but I do wish it had been given an extra year to bake so they could implement some of those cut ideas.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

If they do that nonlinear dungeon design again, I want to see challenges for items instead of just some jerk in a shop. It's nowhere near as rewarding to the way ALbW did it.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cleretic posted:

My favorite of those was the Twilight Princess Iron Boots being a tool with which to not get schooled at Goron wrestling. That worked really well as a justification for what's honestly one of the weirder Zelda staple items to justify, as well as doing really well to imply its other purposes.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing I want. That the Gorons don't seem to notice or care that you're blatantly cheating them is a plus for downplayed humor.

I kind of like the idea of dungeon items being less inexplicable boomerangs in chests and more like items or weapons improvised or stolen from enemies as well. Like the ball and chain from Twilight Princess: something taken not as a reward, but just an item kept because it looked useful. It feels a lot more organic. The spinner was kind of similar since it was implied to just be an elaborate key for the machinery in the prison Link decided to hold onto afterwards despite not being particularly useful outside the area.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Apparently she was just messing around in a stream and a random person told her that the plant looked thirsty, so she emptied the forest water before going for the final blow. The next day she decided to record this video to see if it was actually the water that did it and now we have found a new secret.

Forest Water lasts longer on the HD version, right? maybe nobody found out because it's nearly impossible to get forest water all the way over there before it reverts to regular water.

Man, I wish that this was an in-story thing. Instead of hacking the plant to death, you just fight it long enough to purify it with holy water to prevent it spreading.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh man, I just froze a moblin and his bokoblin friends started sliding him around. I love this game.

Finding new and inventive ways to torment monsters is one the greatest pleasures in this game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Anyone else loving how terrifying the Big G’s resurrection is here? He’s a gnarled corpse held with glowing corpse arm and eerie runes that give hushed whispers before he snaps back to life.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i just hope the next antagonist has a more coherent plan than

1. i'm doing bad corruption things because i'm evil
2. ???
3. PROFIT

ganon in almost every other iteration of the series has had at least some kind of coherent plan for what he was going to do once he completed the tri-force/took over hyrule/finally killed link/etc. and it was weird that in botw he's the main antagonist but doesn't seem to have any motivation beyond corrupting a bunch of robots and floating around hyrule castle as a quasi-ghost

Calamity Ganon is so deeply corrupted by age and hatred that it could barely be called sentient anymore. It’s more of a natural disaster than a character. That’s part of why most people refer to the thing as “it” instead of “he” now: there isn’t much of a mind left in the thing.

From what we saw in the trailer for the sequel, it seems that Calimity Ganon really was just some sort of emanation of the real deal. If that corpse is Dorf himself, I imagine that he’ll be more coherent and dangerous than the cyborg spider/evil cloud we faced in the original Breath of the Wild.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 12, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The various Toon Links are the only Links that have much in the way of a distinct personality.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

No he plans to enslave the world and rule the gently caress out of it. His wish is to bring Hyrule back to the surface and make it his. And he still tries to kill Link several times.

He flat out demands that the Triforce give Hyrule to him. He’s more thoughtful now, maybe a little tired of it all, but he’s still the same villain as ever.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

BotW2: Link gets really into fashion, Zelda decides 100 years squatting on a blob of condensed evil sucked rear end so she becomes the most chaotic gremlin child to ever exist. Everyone's gonna eat her frogs. For Science.

This is canon in my mind. She only got serious again right before the expedition that starts the sequel.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i tried to get excited about horses at first but they end up being so loving finnicky about even the slightest dip or lip in the ground and suddenly they're coming to a full stop or throwing you or falling themselves and then throwing you. meanwhile link can climb surfaces with negative angles in the rain while being shot at by military helicopters, so my love affair with the horses quickly died off.

plus you can get a monster saddle & bridle for the skeleton horse but you can't stable it and it dies in daytime what kind of bullshit is that. same goes for bear

This is why I never bothered with horses more than absolutely necessary. There are other ways to improve the speed of hiking across Hyrule than them that are far less difficult to deal with.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Supersonic Shine posted:

What are the odds that we get a non-canon What If ending where the Champions manage to defeat Calamity Ganon the first time around?

Just shy of 90%, I’d say. Which will only make watching their inevitable canon deaths hurt more.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

That was big but still not the same scale of the Divine Beasts. But you’re right, they could still make it work, I’m just struggling to imagine it unless the Divine Beasts get shrunken down or something.

There would have to be some funky scaling going on to avoid looking like you’re stepping on a bunch of ants the entire time.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Hell no, go darker like they did with Twilight Princess

People claim that Twilight Princess was so dark, but it honestly wasn’t that different than normal beyond aesthetics. The Twilight monsters were freakish, but beyond that, it was pretty standard Zelda fare. Hyrule was nearly taken over, but that’s normal. Link beat back the invasion and got to run through a fairly lively land with a lot of allies and a sassy sidekick/love interest(?).

Breath of the Wild was already darker than it given that we exploring the ruins of a dead Hyrule with no companionship and have to survive off whatever we can get because we failed the last time.

Ocarina of Time had Link slowly lose everything that grounded him in his old life and battled through Hyrule that endured seven years of Ganondorf’s destructive malice.

Majora’s Mask took place in a twisted mirror of Hyrule that was constantly throwing Link into surreal and disturbing situations. That’s not even getting into the constantly ticking doomsday clock and maniacally-grinning moon creating constant pressure and dread for the player.

Hell, even Windwaker’s world was bleaker than Twilight Princess’ after we leaned the backstory and that there was no hope of ever restoring the now-destroyed Hyrule of the past.

Twilight Princess was certainly edgy and weird, but is was far from the most grim setting in the franchise.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Alexander Hamilton posted:

BotW has horny characters while Hyrule Warriors has horny creators, if that makes sense.

Gotta rebuild the Hyrule population somehow, I guess.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sometime Hylia gives Link a freebie.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

It's funny how I never considered it to be a mainline game at the time of writing, I think my mind was just on the 3D platformers at the time, which does include 3D World, yes.

Which just means we are long overdue for Zelda to get her time.

She technically was in Spirit Tracks as a Phantom.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

yeah cia was great, a woman who went insane because she found out she couldnt gently caress the handsome non threatening knight

Several iterations of that knight that she viewed from outside time itself.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

big jojo beefcakes with lats, traps, and delts the size of european enclaves would be an excellent addition to any game

Still not as terrifying as the Great Fairies of the N64 era games. I had nightmares of their laughter as a child.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

who said that would be terrifying?

My bad. I didn’t read the preceding posts. I saw the word”JoJo” and immediately went to “comedy/horror” characters. Was envisioning a giant hulk doing poses with the same in-you-face madness demeanor as the N64 fairies.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 14, 2020

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Gonna need another century-long spa day to fix this one.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Something I desperately want BotW 2 to do: allow you to disable the goddamn enemy music. There's nothing I hate more than soaking in the beautiful atmosphere of the game, only to have it constantly interrupted by the obnoxious and repetitive enemy music. Half the time I could just run past the enemies, but I kill them just to shut the music up.

It’s meant to be a warning to the player that the enemy has seen you and is attacking. It also identifies who is attacking you. You notice that you don’t get the music if you sneak around the enemies? That’s why.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I think cooking should give bigger bonuses the more 'complex' a meal is, so there's actually a reason to make all those omelettes and puddings and curries.

At the very least, it shouldn’t cancel out all bonuses if more than one happens to be in the ingredients.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Junpei posted:

I wish they did more with the resistance group in Twilight Princess

I still have no idea why Link just shooed them away whenever he used the information they gave him to start the dungeon. He doesn’t even tell them anything about it all. Including the guy who dedicated his life to researching the sky city he went to.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Legit my favorite mechanic in that entire game

I still say those stones were a real missed opportunity. We only got to use them in one area and we didn’t get anyone in the civilization except for the robot workers. It would really heighten the tragedy of what was lost if some of the organics were also around.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

The Great Fairies are almost always creepy in one way or another. I just wish it wasn't quite in this way.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jan 24, 2022

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

the_american_dream posted:

Not gonna lie I dreaded a bad joke from/with/about Bolson’s sexuality anytime he was on screen

I’m happy that they don’t go entirely about that with him. Instead he’s runs a town where he installs company naming policy into his resident’s wedding vows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

DanielCross posted:

My only issue with Link's Awakening on Switch is mostly that it's...well, Link's Awakening, but again. It's a polished-up version of the original game, all of the good stuff and none of the bad, and that's great! But if you're someone who's already played the original, I don't think you'll get anything new out of the experience by playing the Switch version. Like, after finishing it, I kinda felt like, "Well, I could have just replayed the original on my 3DS and had about the same amount of fun."

That’s my big problem with a lot of remakes. New models and music don’t change the fact that the foundation is outdated. Especially here as we’re talking about a Gameboy game from 1993, but now at more than double the original price.