Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The WiiU Gamepad made Wind Waker so much better because it showed the map on the lower screen, so you could line up to collect treasure dramatically easier. It was also nice to be able to switch items without pausing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I played Skyward Sword on the WiiU and I liked it even though I would put it below my favorite 3D Zeldas, OoT and Wind Waker. I already preordered it. I hope the controls on the Switch feel right.

I want the new Joycons but I'm guessing they will sell out instantly if I don't see a preorder link on time.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm sure this Zelda will be good because there isn't been a completely terrible mainline Zelda (depending on your opinions of the NES ones). The trailer has so little in it that its not meaningful to make assumptions of narrative or gameplay other than 'based on Breath of the Wild'.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bust Rodd posted:

Skyward Sword was completely terrible.

Counterpoint: It wasn't.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nintendo trying out the flat progression Zeldas, either the Link Between Worlds or Breath of the Wind ways, felt like an inelegant response to the feedback that dungeon items were not useful outside of their originating dungeon. I think I still personally preferred the old way because I like dungeons slowly building up complexity of puzzles and having unique visual themes. Every single shrine in BotW being the same visuals over and over got super dull.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Breath of the Wild is by far my least liked of the 3D ones but I'm curious what a sequel can offer that might improve from the base set by it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like how Skyward Sword has a robot pirate in on a pirate ship in the robot land. Then a second robot pirate because goddamnit we need more robot pirates.

I saw tons of toys of the first robot pirate well before playing the game, which had made me assume he was a significant character. It was amusing when he turned out to just be a random, unremarked miniboss.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It turns out that BOTW2 is literally BOTW but a handful of key locations got pulled into the sky. This includes the Divine Beasts, who otherwise get no changes.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hey if you can time travel can you at least tell us if there’s a Switch Pro?

If you think a PS5 or Xbox Series X are hard to get, ooh boy.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I liked swinging the sword in TP when you were attacking boss weakpoints. It made it feel like I was more engaged and I missed it for that one reason when I played the WiiU version.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I start every open world game telling myself that I'm not going to use fast travel to really get to see the world but eventually I start wanting to just get stuff done.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The handholdy stuff seems more like Nintendo trying to make Zelda more accessible to the huge Wii audience. The swordfighting was a direct result of Twilight Princess just being waggle and 'a real swordfighting game!' being the constantly spoken of goal since the Wii was revealed.

Its two very obvious, straightforward goals that didn't work out as well as they hoped they might have. Treating a 10 year later re-release as a conspiracy is just silly instead of hindsight and feedback making it clear how those goals didn't work and an opportunity to change it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The biggest problem I remember having with motion controls when I played it on WiiU was that it registered me trying to put my hand back to a neutral position as a swipe.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I love OoT for being my first Zelda. I still find some of the dungeons to be extremely evocative in their visual, sound and gameplay design in a very special way (Forest, Shadow and Spirit). Actually playing it the last two times on 3DS is getting a little bit tired though from how many times I've gone through it. I have a lot of affection for how weird and dreamlike N64 games could be because they could just barely start to render 3d worlds but so heavily abstracted.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Of the 3D ones, BOTW is by far the one I like the least because it abandoned all of the things I really liked about the other 3D Zelda games (music, unique themed dungeons, puzzles that build up on each other). When I finally went to raid Hyrule Castle for the shield and then to fight Ganon were my favorite parts because it felt the most structured like the old ones. I know the openness and freedom worked for a lot of people but I was lukewarm on it. I'd like to see the future ones either synthesize the best parts of BOTW and the older ones or to have BOTW mark another "type" of Zelda game, alongside the 2D ones and OoT pattern 3D.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

hatty posted:

I’d pay full price for WWHD Switch

:hmmyes:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nintendo will rerelease X popular title from one of its core franchises is about the easiest rumor in the world because it'll always be true eventually.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The biggest thing that canon means for modern media franchises is what stories get continuing content. Like if you were super into where the old Star Wars EU was going, its just done now. It shouldn't take away from the old stories at all but knowing that the characters won't continue because of a business decision can be disappointing. Something like AoC is interesting because prequels are inherently about telling you about the characters or world before the main events you already knew. Which it more or less does, though instead of connecting to BotW, it swerves off.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What was the time travel in Twilight Princess? Am I forgetting a dungeon gimmick?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

TheLoneStar posted:

If I recall right, the Temple of Time dungeon exists in the past or something.

Captain Hygiene posted:

It took me a second, but the Temple of Time is in the past.

I can't believe I entirely forgot one of my absolute favorite moments in the whole game. Finding the ruins, going through the door with the music kicking in and realizing where you were was so cool. The dungeon itself only being okay and not really meaningful beyond another dungeon is a bit of a bring down for how significant the building is.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The sales of BotW would have been heavily influenced by it being The Game To Have at launch when the Switch was absolutely exploding. The sequel will probably sell worse no matter what it ends up being because it won't have the launch title boost and it won't be as fresh since a lot of other games have taken bits and pieces of BotW into themselves.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Forest Temples are the best, fire ones are the worst because they're the most samey looking. Its always a lava cave.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I remember first horse was named Murry and I later had a black one named Arthur after the Fonz.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I went up the mountains half cocked using torches and food for warmth since I hadn't gotten cold weather clothes yet but was curious if anything was up there. I did the boss fight desperately trying to not freeze to death. F- grounded in the world, A+++ dumbassing through it with video game mechanics.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hyrule Warriors is fun but also a nightmare if you are a completionist because it is Too Much Content. I enjoyed it on the WiiU, rebought it for Switch and needed to stop before I even unlocked all of the characters, much less the weapons and everything else.

Linkle is the greatest Zelda character of all time tho.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Age of Calamity is $30 at Best Buy (and Amazon if in stock) for anyone like me who was interested but hadn't gotten it yet.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Linkle is an agile crossbow wielding whirlwind of death though. She isn't like Link other than aesthetics.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like that there is a shorter scene if you replay the Moon part.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just don't vibe with games that depend on a lot of "make your own fun" in the way that the biggest fans of BotW seem to.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I keep feeling like I played Skyward Sword very recently but it was on the WiiU. Which means it was at least like 5-6 years ago.

I bought the Switch version when it released but it’s been sitting. I should play it soon so I can give Breath of the Wild a second chance.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Just wanting to do them in release order and see how I feel about Breath before the sequel. I wasn’t as into Breath as other people when it originally came out and I played it on WiiU. I’m curious if replaying it on Switch with a better understanding of what its goals are will make it work better for me.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got the special edition Joycons and it is my hope that they didn’t develop drift from playing No More Heroes before I ever get to use them with Skyward Sword.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I really liked the basic sword motion controls in Twilight Princess solely because of how every boss fight ended up with Link on top of the boss to hit their weak point. The music hitting a peak while I went to town with actual swings got me every time. I missed it in the WiiU version.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I never played the original versions but I ended up playing the entire Switch one in a single day, mostly delighted the whole time. The blur effect was annoying at first but I got over it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
LA feels very small and dense in a way that modern games aren’t unless they are specifically trying to capture the era.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I preferred the look of the on screen clock in the N64 version way more but I recognize that it would have taken up too much space on the 3DS screen.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Blaziken386 posted:

the 3ds, famously known for only having one screen

Having it overlay the main gameplay screen is really important to the effect. If it was on the lower screen, it wouldn’t be as in your face about how time is running out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I started Skyward Sword and got through the first Ghirahim fight. I’m enjoying it. Remembering more than I thought I did.

It’s interesting revisiting the sword controls. The whole dream of 1:1 sword fighting was to make you feel precise and powerful. I’m doing better than I originally did on WiiU but it still is really fiddley and inconsistent. You feel way clumsier than normal button controls. I refuse to turn off the motion controls though.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just finished the first Imprisoned fight in Skyward Sword. I'm already around 12 hours of playtime while making fairly steady progress. This game is just really loving long for a Zelda that feels very small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've played it before. When I checked my WiiU total time stats, I was shocked that the game was 40 hours because I didn't remember 40 hours of stuff. Now I understand how it took that long the first time.