Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Goddamn, the game informer preview/piece of this is hyping me up badly. The horses, the difficulty, the nonlinearity, the open world you can freely and easily explore apparently everywhere, the shield snowboard :krad:, the shrines, how everything seems to affect everything else in ways I've never seen before in a game, how it seems like you can do almost anything you want, loving [I]crafting [\i] :aaaaa:, reusing enemy weapons.

Now, I am slightly disappointed that they seems to be continuing the 3ds Zelda games trend of smaller dungeons, but hopefully they aren't too small and there are more of them to explore. Also, it would be awesome if it kept the metroidva-iny element the previous Zelda games had, and also had legit sequence breaking available via a non obvious method. Also, I'm still not sure if you get items such as the bow, bombs, glider, magnet glove, etc over the course of the game (like it has been, and would allow for the aforementioned element) or if it's all given to you at the beginning (kinda like link between worlds).

At any rate, even if it has those slightly disappointing elements, the rest of it will almost certainly make up for it. Thankfully, I don't hate the Ubisoft style open world, which is something that I'm sure was an influence/inspiration. I'm glad I was able to trade in my old Wii u and games for a switch; I am definitely going to enjoy being able to take it with me wherever I go (with the power cord of course!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Man I love this game, though not as much as, say, witcher 3 (which grabs my attention more, I guess is the best way to quantify it. Its a very hard to describe sensation-- maybe because it's not as 'dense' and has less dialogue?). I'm a bit surprised that I rarely die, as a good portion of my deaths were environmental from me trying to cross an ice cold river unaided, and they combat is rather easy. I'll definitely have to replay it with the hard mode dlc later on.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

Anyone that says the combat is easy clearly hasn't fought a Lynel yet.

haha yup, i bet. The worst time I've had was against the stone titan thingie on the plateau and things in water, mostly because i had run out of arrows.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I just paid the treasure hunters in deuling peaks stable for the tip for the Misko treasure, but in the adventure log it turns out I'd already found it! Where was it? I've done a poo poo ton of exploration, though I'm a bit annoyed by how empty the world feels. They needed to add more people/ population centers and/or monsters.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh wow. I have 90+ shrines and I just found out that there's a thunder resistant suit. (also im still missing the barbarian leggings)

idk if i messed up the probability, but its almost one ten thousandths of a chance (1/8025) that I missed all three rubber pieces until now

e: i didnt know one came from a quest, so taking that out is only 1/300 or so. Also I left this region until very late since it is very useless main plot wise, so that drags up the probabilities somewhat

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

The Lobster posted:

I am sitting right around half the shrines and they are definitely getting harder to find. Any tips on finding more, Watermelon Daiquiri? Right now I'm just running and flying around and hoping my sensor goes off or I see one in the distance.

E:

I used one, once, to wallop a Guardian... But no, not since then! I bet I could go buy more, I have plenty of parts. But you piqued my interest with the multibow idea. I want to see CARNAGE.

But you're probably right.

TBH the vast majority of my time in game has been exploration. :shobon: I only have 2/4 beasts down (and I almost defeated ganon when I accidentally wandered too far into the castle before I decided to just leave it for later in case it did something with my save LOL)

Follow all of the shrine quests and mark down on the map areas you haven't been to (localized to a region) and go visit them all. You'll run into most of the shrines that way. For instance, I make all bodies of water, peaks, valleys, forests, interesting looking shapes as well as areas in between if there is a large amount of land between marks. I only have ~200 or so korok seeds (and I audibly gasped when I learned there were 900 of the drat things!)

Some of the funniest things I've come across doing this is auto-completing quests since I ran into the objective while exploring and did it already :v: One memorable one is when I finally paid the treasure hunters for the location to said treasure, only for it to turn out to be in some nook I came across and cleared out ages ago. Waste of a 100 rupees...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Here is an example of my exploration methods:

Skulls are both for shrine locations and big monsters like lynels, stars are the 'go here!!!!' thing, swords are where I left weapons in chests, and leaves are korok things i havent done

You can easily suss out where i have and haven't been based on whats starred or not ;)

e: uuuugggghhhh why the gently caress do farosh horn shards need to be used for clothes >: ( I hate trying to get enough, and thinking you got one only for it to actually be a scale. They need a way to transmute scales into horn shards. They are both chitinous, right?

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 30, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
If you look at the wall in front of the receptacle rows (e: not the incremental pillars), and then look at the far wall in front of the sign, you'll see a certain number of familiar patterns...

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Its the first? stable up from the plateau east of hyrule field (might be just ewest of the swamp. It's one of the two.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I don't know whats up with my game, but for multiple in game days (and a couple blood moons) the zoras domain shop has had zero arrows or any kind. The other stuff respawns and I don't know if the timers are different but its odd that every time I go there there are zero arrows on display.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Ahh, that's why the fairies arent there... I do have ~100 regular and ~50 shock/frost (i think one of those are whats there) but other arrow vendors are populated just fine, I think. I'll double check them all just to see...

Ha, yeah that seems to be the case, though wierdly it seems like the game lets you have 100+ shock but only like 60 frost

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 30, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Anyone else find the desert beast to be more of a PITA than anything? I feel like the rest of the beasts made some sense but I lucked into just about everything in that temple and spent more time running around and rotating things than anything else.

moldugas? (sp?) Just bomb them constantly either with arrows or power bombs

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Oh duh, 'rotate'. I'm exhausted. I will say I seirously regret selling my wii-u to fund my switch, in a way. Why I am ready for the future and I hadn't played the drat thing in over 4 months, I still had a number of games on my account I never really played and I still want to play, like wind waker. I guess that one will have to be an emulator thing for now :(

As for zelda, hopefully they can step back a bit from this and bring back the gating the series became known for. I love that type of gameplay :(

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
There's a big continuum between "Give everything at the start" and "Walk down the corridor". You can have multiple ways to get to Major Plot Points while at the same time limiting what can get to where. Hell, with how the game is I bet you could be given a new Power in each beast and not gate anything off. Like you can get one 2-3 beasts right from the start, but different things get opened up depending on when you do them, so you can leave something for later when you can easily get in or try it earlier at a higher difficulty (hmmm I wonder if they used that idea in the game already) via a different method. You can already do a ton of different things to solve the shrines, for instance, so not having one particular method wouldn't hurt you one bit and if you didnt have what you needed, you can always come back just like how they envisioned

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I found Snow Shield Surfing, but not Snow Bowling. And you will have to sell stuff you need for armor upgrades, but getting thousands of rupees is easy selling gems and meals you made using expensive monster parts. You only need maybe 30 each of topaz, opal, ruby, maybe a little more amber, and probably 20-25 diamond. As for the glowy stone, you need like 75+, but they are super common and sell for 700 a ten-pack once you don't need them and diamonds. Theres also a gerudo who buys ten amber in goron city.

I would get 8k at a time selling ~30-40 of the stones and 20-40 of the gems. After I got the final fairy fountain I just stopped caring about money lol

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Heh, I've explored so goddamn much I can hit 70 easily, and i have to specifically chose low armor pieces to get below 40. I have only 3 shrines left to find, and I still haven't gotten that drat electric chest.

Also, its funny how you get lightning resistance/immunity from the show set bonus, the thunder helm and the rubber suit. I wish the hyrule armor set had a special bonus, like maybe defense up or more defense than the other suits 'cause its amazing looking. And is there any point to the jewel head pieces other than to get stuff that needs a super loving rare star piece you cant find anywhere once you get the quest reward? They seem absolutely pointless, especially since they remove set bonuses as WELL as the spin attack for the opal one.

either wqy, im still getting everything and upgrading it lol. Those drat star fragments and horn shards are the loving worst

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 1, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

they're a lot easier to get to high level.

What the gently caress are you talking about

Is there some meteorite mine I'm missing? I have had every head piece to 4 stars for a while (for the most part), but I have all but 2 jewel pieces at like level 2 because I've only gotten 2 star fragments :psyduck:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Lynels are easy, if rather tedious given their 5k health. But you just need to equip a 30+ oh or 45+ th and whail on it, dodging as much as possible and giving the thunder special once or twice. It's just a 5 minute fight, though I do need to do it 3-5 more times for the final 5 guts I need for it. Insects are a pain, yeah, but its really just 30 minutes of exploration, and I periodically run through north hyrule and the castle to get drat shafts and cores. I have like a hundred screws and 40 gears or so but shafts really give you the 'shaft' :iamafag:

Moldugas are my favorite 'boss' enemy since you just shower them with bombs from a phrenic or similar bow and whack them with a royal broadmore or whatever. But all I need to finish up my gear is some misc plants, a few more minerals, loving lizalfos tails of various colors i'll have to get chasing dragons, some more drat fire butterflies, 5 lynel guts, a couple shards from all the dragons, and ancient gear.

I bet you all I'll get all but like 3 or 4 armor upgraded before I find another star fragment... You need like 15 or 20 overall to upgrade everything which is outrageous. Why the gently caress don't they have these are rewards in blessing shrines rather than a loving opal or arrows or some poo poo like that :argh:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

I had a run of them dropping in Hyrule Plain, so it was an easy glide from the tower with a bit of laser-dodging. The latest one dropped onto a ledge on Hylia Bridge and fell off as I approached though, which was bloody infuriating. Was I supposed to cryonis up a catcher as soon as I was in range, or was it just randomly-generated perversity?

Argh don't talk to me about loving smotherwing butterflies.

Yeah, those drat things :(

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
The funny thing is, is that I find monster hunter boring as gently caress. I admit, I hate fighting lynels and try to avoid them whenever possible, but moldugas are literally dead within 30 seconds-- they aren't annoying.

Running through the guardian haunts is a fun way to blow off steam since when I come across a fully walking big guy I cut all its legs off one by one with a couple swipes of the master sword which constantly stuns it and then cripples it :3

BTW I somehow 'hacked' a guardian to shoot its laser on command whenever i hit it with the master sword. How the gently caress did that happen? Does it only work when you sneak up on it? And is there any way to control where it aims without waiting for the eye to track where you want it?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I had that happen once before the patch, so I dunno. Have you had any issues with spontaneous Blood Moons? I once had a Blood Moon suddenly trigger at 7 in the morning, among all the other seemingly random times that it fired for me ever since I hit up the Mijah Rokee Shrine. I assume that's just the way it works after you do that? Still seems broken though.

Also, on the topic of annoying power-ups, there simply aren't enough Hinoxes in the world to get me the Hinox guts I need :colbert:

Thank goodness they aren't actually as obnoxious to take on like Lynels are (with one notable exception)

EDIT: I see the Glitch Moon thing was talked about. Consider my question answered.

You only need like 6 hynix guts i think. I have locations of 10 hyni marked on my map atm :v:

Now lyneli, on the other hand... they are a loving pain (though once I realized they go silver too like all the other monsters I stopped going after the silver ones unless I wanted their weapon...)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Isn't hylia a sun or moon goddess or something? Or am I completely misremembering things?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Where is she in the Greater Nintendo Timeline?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

ROJO posted:

And they already have the concept art for it (from Hyrule Historia):

... is she a furry

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
.... Crap there are a 120 shrines? I thought there were only 100! Looks like I'm still not done. Now where the gently caress are the rest of these

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I never noticed but the guardian weapons honk when you use them and the pitch changes depending on the size of the weapon :3:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
So, this is anecdotal, but after the patch korok forest is basically fixed for me. The fps seem a little lower than normal but its definitely not teen levels anymore

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
There should've been a set of low power 'basic' weapons that were invincible, with all of the breakable stuff as temporary higher power stuff.

Also a stash you could use to store the basic weapons if you wanted

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, i've probably sold ~30-40k worht of stuff, mostly gems and I've barely not had enough for every non-amiibo upgrade in the game (and when I was short a few gems i also had other things short so they were never the thing keeping me from upgrading)

You absolutely roll in gems and money in this game if you explore and kill taleos and big enemies. I've actually counted and you need a grand total of ~40 each of amber, sapphire, ruby for each jewel head piece and the highest level element resistance gear. Diamonds are ~20 for the circlet, and for the radiant suit (what does that even do btw???) needs like 40 for each piece, so 100+ but every cache of luminous stone veins gives you 3-8 so they aren't exactly rare

^^^^ Dont the shrines tell you outright that you use one for the other? I remember there being signs

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

First time I tried I used octo balloons, but the wind didn't blow them. So I went away until it reset and stasis snookered them off their statues with a spear.

You startle some people in the villages at night, and stals buddy up to you instead of attacking. And the set bonus is an attack boost with bone weapons.

I found it a big help in Thyphlo Ruins as well, just to be able to see myself.

omg ill have a legit hard choice between using that or the stealth set at night. i loving hate stals

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Find it. Another set of double doors. I know how to open this!

My game is paused right at those very doors :( I broke all of my snowballs trying to get them to go over the cyro pillars rather than catching on the edges and falling down

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
Is the food damage/armor buff multiplicative?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
you can crouch and sneak too, you know. And you cant find any regular arrows?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Barreft posted:

I got 20 arrows, but you hit them once and they run away and the game fades them out. Unless it's a one shot using arrows is useless. That's why I tried the fire arrow, but that just gave me a cooked boar.

Wait, what? Ive only had animals fade away after a good long while.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
oh wait, you are in an emu? yeah you should expect some issues. Just play it on the actual hardware!

you can also dodge, you know. When the boars rush you as you are locked on holding ZL, jump one way right as the boars get to you, and if it works the same as normal monsters you can hit it a bunch of times for free

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Apr 4, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
the shrine on thundra plateau where all that weather is doesnt have it. I'm missing the shirt as well with ~110 shrines (why the hell dont they have a way to see how many you have without being on a loading screen?!)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

The Lobster posted:

Goddammit. I thought I was onto something. But there IS a shrine there you say? I haven't done one there yet!

Yeah, its the one with the colored balls people were talking about a bit earlier

E: NEVERMIND somehow i missed getting this treasure chest. Go check it out!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

The Lobster posted:

I just want to have a rubber suit when I fight Thunderblight Ganon, why is this so hard?

NEVERMIND i noticed i never got all the treasure from it so i went back to clear it out and i found something. Go do it!

i would've thought armor wouldve all been in blessing shrines

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 4, 2017

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
i think the real mystery to this game is what the neighboring kingdoms are and why hyrule has a giant moat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
i could've sworn ive done one shots with the master sword. it mightve been while the guardian was already dead though which could be different...