Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Havok Physics is going to make this game amazing. :allears:

https://fat.gfycat.com/SharpFlamboyantImperatorangel.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's proper dungeons, towns and NPCs but they weren't shown for story reasons.

Also there's over 100 of those shrines, according to the livestream.

Just in case, you know, it wasn't clear how loving huge the game world is. :asoiaf:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It'll make a lot of money 'cause it doesn't look like microwaved garbage, unlike most of E3.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

From that thread:

quote:

Here's the area of the map they've shown this entire time.

This is where you begin, the tutorial area.
Then from there you can jump in any areas that surround it, yes any!

Here's a bit zoomed out.

Here's the entire (?) map.

:asoiaf:

With how balls to the wall they're going, this might be the Final Zelda. :tinfoil:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Yorkshire Tea posted:

OOT did this pretty well with Din's fire/fire arrows as I recall. There are at least a few points in Forest Temple, Water Temple and Spirit Temple where you can use those to bypass puzzles.

Which is a great reference, because I haven't felt this way about a Zelda game since I was staring at the OoT box in the store twenty years ago. It's refreshing.

The most enjoyable thing about the Zelda series, for me, was the sensation of melancholic vastness. Little is explained, the world feels huge beyond the borders, and you are just a moment in it. Things like Ikana Canyon in MM, where there's a deep history in the ruins but it doesn't waste time telling you all about it, leaving it up to imagination.

I hope this game brings back that feeling of being lost in a world you know nothing about. The closest thing we've gotten in recent years is Dark Souls.

Rime fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 15, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Zaphod42 posted:

Screenshotted since it looks like their website crashed

This is some napkin math, so probably inaccurate, but even if ballpark its pretty drat loving big

We're looking at roughly 140 square miles :siren:

The Witcher 3 was 52sq/mi, for comparison. :aaaaa:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

feedmyleg posted:

I can't imagine how many hours this will take me to complete. I spent like 70+ hours on Twilight Princess, and far more than that just loving around in Wind Waker. Never played any of the Skyrim or whatnot open world games so have no basis for comparison, but this could be a very, very long play experience for me.

It took me over 200 hours to beat TW3, nowhere near all the sidequests and none of the DLC. So.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

HighwireAct posted:

I'm really trying not to overhype this for myself but this really does seem like the game the whole Legend of Zelds series has been culminating in

I'm pretty sure they're going balls to the wall because this is, if not the last game in the main series, the last one we'll be seeing for a very long time. :tinfoil:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
http://i.4cdn.org/v/1466474451956.webm

Enemies display emergent weapon gathering skills.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I guess this confirms there's literally nothing you can't climb as long as you have the stamina. Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

MokBa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC4YLLkqME

Nintendo Switch presentation is going live now. Sure to be some more BotW info.

It's coming...at launch :black101: :ssh:

Also Sexy Zelda?!?

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 13, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

MokBa posted:

MARCH 3, 2017

Someone please post the trailer when it goes online! I'm going to sleep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3g3VzNB-M

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Zelda weapons have never really been about DPS stats, so if they go that route it'd be kind of lovely TBQH.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Mahoning posted:

So is the voice acting only during cutscenes? Because it seems the NPCs are the same old grunts and other noises with on screen text for dialogue.

I hope so, full voice acting is one of the most monumentally stupid decisions the games industry ever made.

I can't wait to catch every horse in Hyrule like they're Pokemon. :allears:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So apparently this Zelda actually has a real honest to god plot, like with real characterization and everything. At least that's what I'm hearing.

You say that as if Majora's Mask and Wind Waker didn't. :colbert:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Suspicious Dish posted:

But Wind Waker and Majora's Mask had not good dungeons and are good, and Twilight Princess had good dungeons and is not good

But, the dungeons in MM were some of the best in the series. :???:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dehry posted:

There's a Wii U emulator and there's a piracy app that downloads direct from the Wii U servers. The games even run on Wii U without exploits if they were on disk.

90% of games currently run like a dogs butthole on it at 10fps though, so I imagine it's going to be years before BotW is emulatable at full speed.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Dexie posted:

That was kind of common back in the day for 'fantasy' RPG franchises. Early Ultima was full of it, Might & Magic eventually went pretty hard on the sci-fi stuff, there's things like WARMECH in Final Fantasy. I think Wizardry had some sci-fi stuff here and there?

Honestly it's kind of surprising that Zelda took this long to really start dipping into it.

Pretty sure Wizardry 8 or 9 had you straight up dropping out of an alien spaceship and fighting against an alien space wizard., IIRC.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Walked into Best Buy in a mall, walked out with a neon switch, Zelda, and a leftover promo keychain from SS as a freebie. I have only watched the original trailer, read no previews and no reviews, and staunchly avoided the hype.

Now I hang off the side of a building on ropes for four hours with the anticipation threatening to kill me. :black101:

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 3, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I can't actually type out what this game is making me feel right now. Holy poo poo. There are no words.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I wandered into some wasteland and now after a long battle I have a goddamn laser sword. :black101: The stats are silly, but low durability.

This game owns hard, I won't be playing anything else for like the next year with how little I've accomplished in 6 hours. Makes Witcher 3 feel tiny.

According to some Rito this is set like 10,000 years after OoT/ TP :stare:

Nintendo knocked this one out of the fuckin' galaxy.

Rime fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Mar 4, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The density of cool and awesome poo poo to do / find in this game, given the size of the world, is off the chain insane. I'd really thought the open world formula was overdone and getting boring, based on recent releases, and Nintendo has come and kicked the door down here.

Goddamn. GODDAMN. :magical:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I chopped down all old Mellies plum trees and then skipped town before dawn. :black101:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Tried to fight a Hinox with a Broom. It ripped a tree out of the ground and ruined me.

This loving game. :stare:

Anyone notice the gigantic skulls and ripbcages and such scattered everywhere around the map?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm having an extreme amount of fun playing pokemon snap in tablet mode, and if they don't make a free-roaming next-gen Pokemon snap game in this engine they're seriously losing money. :3:

Holy gently caress. I just found the gigantic respawning lightning dragon which is a mile long and not even a boss. :asoiaf:

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 4, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thus far my only gripe with this game is that the music is quite repetitive and does nothing to differentiate the various zones. You get glimmers of the old Koji stuff in there, like that riff on Lon-Lon / Kakariko that plays in various places, but overall it's pretty drat boring.

I get that they wanted the environment to speak for itself and the atmospheric sounds to take precedence, but I really feel like they went a bit too far and it sort of shallows the atmosphere.

I need me some rippin' flamenco in my Gerudo desert, gosh darn! :argh:

E: Also I just found a campground guarded by like 15 mountain goats. There were 20+ spicy peppers in it. :haw:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 5, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Holt poo poo, has anyone else found the magical Valley full of rupee bunnies and creepy music in the mountainous region north of gerudo highlands?

E: Omfg this game is magical. :stonk:

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 5, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Take pictures and read the beast descriptions. AND USE YOUR STEALTH poo poo RIGHT NOW.

Too late, got knocked about and such. I will return again another night. What an amazing thing to stumble across with no warning however.

Protip: insects are best harvested when it is raining. Like real insects, they stay low to the ground instead of flying off.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Do overworld camps like Bokoblin camps respawn? How about the stuff in the camps like food on spits and explosive barrels?

I suspect things will respawn. What causes it? A timer?

The bloodmoon causes everything to respawn, including harvestables.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah I was trying to figure out why I'm not really engaging hard wi th this game, and it's definitely the lack of music

I just got off of the plateau and I'm kinda :geno: but I dunno if the game changes much so I'm soldierin' on

I will concede that the chill ambient makes it very, very easy to play for 4-10 hours straight without noticing the passage of time, compared to older titles where the high-energy pumpin' jams would lead to fatigue after a while.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Some of these towers are loving intense, completely unassailable until late game.

Also Skull Island is legit. Even Bokoblins will one-hit you up there, but there's some nutty stuff.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
This is the best iteration of the Lost Woods in the entire series, and the place names legit brought a tear to my eye. :3:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The shrine in the lost woods is the most obtuse puzzle i have ever, oh my god.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Y'know, a fair number of these shrines are just like "Lol, thanks for coming out, here's some loot and a sword" with no puzzle involved. :crossarms:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Zaphod42 posted:

You mean the shrines that you have to do a quest to unlock, which say "you by entering here, have already proved yourself worthy" ? I thought that was cool as gently caress :colbert:

If you're really just talking about a shrine with a sword, you missed something. They should all give you a spirit token thing when you get to the end. But there are some which just reward you with no puzzle, because they're hidden shrines you have to complete a puzzle to unlock. I thought that was really nice, so you don't have to do two puzzles just for one reward.

Nah, I mis-typed orb for sword. I've found at least four in out of the way places which just give you the goods because you paraglided in. Much trial, such sacrifice.

Now that the initial gloss has worn off I'm starting to see through the cracks a bit.

Of course, then I struggle through a thunderstorm and watch lightning blow trees apart all around me only to find MAJOR SPOILER a shrine to loving Ruto from OoT and the game goes back to :asoiaf:

Rime fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 5, 2017

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Everybody tearing out hair over Lynel, I just bought the arrows and showed up to party with Sidon. :smuggo:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

VanillaGorilla posted:

Holy fuckin' poo poo the lost woods . The trick to that area is amazing.

Best Lost Woods in the series, hands down.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Shrouded Shrine was legit one of the most white-knuckle fights I've had so far. So fun.

I do wish there was a bit more lore hanging around these places though, that's always been one of my favourite things about the series: the vague yet tantalising history behind locations like Ikana canyon and such. Here you get these vast ancient ruins, but little in the way of meat behind them. Feels shallow. :(

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

dragon enthusiast posted:

Yesterday: found armor that requires Farosh's Horn to upgrade
Today: found Farosh :stonklol:

Yeah, when I saw that floating around and realized it wasn't a boss or anything I lost my poo poo. Goddamn, what a game.

Pre' sure he respawns with the bloodmoon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Thyphlo Ruins is rife with cool trinkets.