Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is going to be a video game of some quality between awful or amazing, calling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Zaphod42 posted:

AHHH! SO TASTY!

I just love how excited he looks about his sauteed mushrooms.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh well, hi random boss.

E: With Shadow of the Colossus climbing mechanics.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cake Attack posted:

have they shown any dungeon stuff and if so how does it look. I only just tuned in and open world stuff is cool but not a huge draw personally

No, they've only shown shrines which are little mini dungeons where you get infinite use items.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

wait are items not normally infinite use

You have a limit on your arrows, and your bow/sword etc break. The bombs, magnet, etc are infinite use but have to recharge.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Suspicious Dish posted:

right ok, i didn't realize that you had infinite arrows / bow in shrines

Not what I meant I don't think? I was just saying the "runes" we've seen appear to be utility items that are infinite use, unlike everything else which is all survival game-y.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Dr Pepper posted:

I bet each shrine is a fast travel point.

It looked like he was referring to those huge towers you see in the distance sometimes.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
They just mentioned that Link has been asleep for 100 years.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It would work best if you could just hold the pick up button for a second to drop your current weapon and pick up the new one as one action. Then you can just quick select the one you want to drop.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh yeah, TH is the only Zelda game I never played, since I was busy at the time it came out. Is it worth getting?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
E: er, oops

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Okay, fixed it, batch conversion messed up the file order. I took a few minutes to screencap the conversations with the old man they skipped past. Nothing too interesting:

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 15, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just fixed a file that didn't have the player dialogue options. When he says he'll give you the paraglider for getting the stones you can say:

That wasn't part of the deal!
So I need more, now?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
To me, the weapon durability and cooking looks like it's probably their attempt to answer "what am I doing minute to minute?" Like, yeah, you're travelling from shrine to town to dungeon with some vague goals, but they put those in to prevent the open world from being too empty, because you can always kill a boar or take down a camp to get a chest or whatever.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Regy Rusty posted:

I most of all like that Nintendo doesn't feel the need to do the absolute garbage fake gaming multiplayer conversations over footage like Ubisoft

Just have people playing and talking about it and sometimes they're awkward or things go wrong or they slip up but who cares

It's so much better

I think the main thing is that Nintendo sets aside these 30 minute blocks for each game (when they're not doing Zelda all day, I mean), so if something goes a little wrong they have time to react to it. The E3 demoes are super overpolished because you can't really have a "natural" multiplayer session come off well in the 3-5 minutes they give you, and if something goes wrong, it's hard to get back on track. Nintendo just has vague goals like "show off this shrine" or "show off hunting", while the other ones need to show off the "essence" of a game in 5 minutes or less. They used to have real gameplay at E3, and things often went off the rails, but it was a lot worse due to the time constraints, and always a source of mockery for viewers. It's understandable why they switched to it, but it's always executed atrociously.

There are some advantages to the press conference format too, in terms of discoverability of new games (you may not tune into a 30 minute stream of StupidGame Deluxe, but if you see it in a trailer during a 2 hour press conference then you may give it a shot), but I think that's what Nintendo's usual 30 minute "digital event" is meant to solve. A quick whizz-bang of games that they'll show off later.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rime posted:

It'll make a lot of money 'cause it doesn't look like microwaved garbage, unlike most of E3.

Sony's stuff mostly didn't look like garbage, granted they didn't exactly give us much to go on.

E: My favorite part of Microsoft's conference was the message that everything I wanted I can also buy on my PC so I don't need their lovely console.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

smell this posted:

Neat

what if

Ah, that explains why he knows about the iShiekah. He used its digital camera feature for his pictures!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
In the intro, Link's clothes are described as being a little small, as if he's grown a little. Not surprising given he's been out for 100 years (though you think he'd not grow at all, but whatever). The voice also mentions that Hyrule needs him to be its light again. This could be a reference to The Hero in general, but it makes me seriously wonder if this is a former child Link who has already saved Hyrule grown up. I'd guess WW or ST's because of Koroks, where this is Hyrule with the great sea finally drained.

E: Alternatively, it could be an AoL sequel, given the general "Zelda One-ness" of the design, Link looking sort of like ALTTP Link, and the barrenness of Hyrule. We don't really know what that timeline would look like in 3D, and Koroks could just be for fun.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 15, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The dungeons are very long and related to the towns. In fact, they're actual dungeons this time. To get into them you have to break the law.

Unfortunately, they're just normal dungeons and you have to spend literal real-life hours sitting in your cell and thinking about what you've done.

This is required for story progress.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just realized, that old, mossy, chipped, beaten up Master Sword we saw...

:ohdear:

Poor robot friend.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, my shameful secret is that I've never beat Zeldas 1 or 2. TLOZ I came drat close then real life got in the way. Zelda 2 I just can't, I always just end up grinding in the first field forever because I know from experience that if I go to the first temple without doing so I will die a horrible death and game over, and I don't think I've ever gotten past the second dungeon due to either grind burnout or sheer difficulty.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Maybe you can name your horse.

E: Granted, the speedrunners are probably going to not need a horse because there'll be some bug to paraglide at five billion miles per hour.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Rocketlex posted:

Anyone else think the ancient technology in Breath of the Wild looks a lot like it was made by the Twili?

I didn't think so, but I did note during the streams that the music that plays while fighting the guardians sounds a ton like the music when you fight twilit monsters. It's that exact frantic, discordant set of sounds.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oooh, the big shrine stones and the shiekah slate and stuff. Yeah, that did look Twilit. I was thinking the guardians which don't look so much like that to me.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'd get a Zelda NX, the only problem with Nintendo's collectible consoles is that you basically have to be online the exact second it's announced or go to eBay because they tend to have... supply issues.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Holy poo poo, this game has parries and spell parries. The slowdown also possibly means you might get a flurry rush off of parries.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
You'll have to wait for the next mainline Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda: Nonchalant Xylophone

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jellymouth posted:

So here's something that has me curious that I haven't seen many people speculate about :
In the very first gameplay demo that was shows at this year's E3, right after Link is finished talking to the old man for the first time, whoever is in control starts randomly flailing their weapon about, hitting the old man and causing him to jump back, change idle animations into a kind of fight-or-flight stance, and remark "easy there" or something like that.

Now, given the whole theme of "you can go anywhere and do anything right from the start," I took this to mean that maybe murdering some NPCs might be a mechanic, or at least murdering the old man for his sweet sweet sailcloth. It would be a HUGE and very unlikely departure from Zelda conventions, and even if its just regulated to randos in the wilderness and outside of towns it would probably require the game have a minimum of a T rating, but I can sort of see how it could be a possibility. Perhaps if you tried to attack NPCs in major towns and such, you would automatically be approached by a guard and thrown out of town/in jail as you would if you were caught sneaking about in other Zelda titles.

Am I crazy, or did anyone else get that from attacking the old man?

This would be so against the spirit of Zelda I can't see it being possible. The best you could hope for is a way (possibly including hitting him) that you can annoy the old man into not wanting to talk to you anymore, so he gives you the item just so you go away.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't think they'll allow killing but I predict dickishness like stealing and breaking down old men's doors being expanded.

I think the old man in the demo even scolds Link for taking his baked apple without speaking to him first.

I can't wait to spend the rest of the game named THIEF.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

feedmyleg posted:

Pretty sure that's Howl's Moving Castle.

The Guardians have kind of a Ghibli vibe in general.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I was going to say "Vernes? More like H.G. Wells to me", but then you had to go and correct yourself. It's kind of like War of the Worlds tripods filtered through Ghibli.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

drunk asian neighbor posted:

You can beat The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without finishing the story

I wonder how committed they are to this. Majora's Mask was awesome because most of the stories you encountered were less related to the overarching plot and more about bringing Termina to life, I wonder how well that concept would translate to major plot reveals.

e: you have to beat the 4 temple bosses in MM before you can reach the final boss, right? Which of the games lets you beat it the fastest without speedrun-style glitching?

I still have to wonder what exactly this means, and kind of wish we had the original interview text so we could get an independent translation of what he said. I have a strong feeling he meant "some of the mysteries are revealed in sidequests, we don't force all the details on you. You can just rush the story and not get all the information (and also miss a lot of Shiekah Runes/items/upgrades that make your life much easier)" instead of "if you know where he is you can beeline to Ganon's castle and murder him, roll credits" like it seems like he means.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 24, 2016

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jellymouth posted:

This game has got to take place in pre-flood Hyrule in the Wind Waker timeline, right?
- Hyrule has been mostly destroyed by Ganon.
- Hyrule castle is sealed away ftom the rest of Hyrule.
- Koroks are farting about.
- Slightly similar art styles.
- The Hyrule landscape straight-up looks like it did in Wind Waker, minus the spire-like mountains.

If this is true, will this game end with the flooding of Hyrule? Or perhaps it doesn't and we get another prong on the timeline.

A lot of people were thinking it was post-drain rather than pre-flood. My personal wild guess was that this Link was a stasis'd Windwaker Link all grown up (since the voice mentions he needs to be Hyrule's light "again" implying it's a previous hero). Though that would raise the question about what happened to New Hyrule.

Pre-flood is possible, I guess, but I'm skeptical of any Zelda ending as a tragedy. It's just not the way the series works. I guess LA was sort of a tragedy? But that game is also a weird tonally different sequel like MM.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is the "Groose wins the Skyloft Academy race" timeline.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Arcon posted:

I want this to be a real game. A Link has to pull the Master Sword to defeat what he thinks is the Big Bad, but by pulling the Master Sword he actually summons/revives/whatevers Ganon, who makes things worse. (People would probably hate it as a "super long intro/prologue" but I think the bait/switch and everything being Links fault and now he has to fix it would be cool)

Isn't that literally the intro cinematic to Four Swords (or FSA, can't recall)? Link pulls the sword and it releases Vaati?

ComposerGuy posted:

My stab at this is that it's actually the furthest along in the timeline on the path that got us the first two NES games. That this one takes place a century or two after Adventure of Link.

My justification for this is that LoZ and AoL take place in a Hyrule that is pretty clearly in serious decline. Like, on the way out as a civilization decline.

That was my other guess. Someone mentioned a while ago that Link being in stasis for 100 years mirrors Zelda being asleep for 100 years. That and while the cel shaded look (and Koroks) is superficially Wind Waker-y, they're really driving home the Zelda 1 parallels in the marketing. Not to mention Link looks like ALTTP Link with slightly lighter hair and a ponytail.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Febreeze posted:

If when link dies it creates a timeline, doesn't that still make a failure timeline in every other game? But only OoT has one? There's no logic to it. Because it wasn't thought out, it was thrown together hastily for a marketing push.

I mean, it's possible that there are a billion timelines for a myriad of possible outcomes in each game, but we only see the ones something interesting happens in.

Either way, I like the timeline, but liking Zelda in a Mad Max style way is fine too.

Zelda started off as a series with a clear timeline, it's only around WW that it started getting really confusing and murky. I appreciate them trying to tie it together, even if it was a marketing ploy. But it's also valid to just treat all the series with clear timelines between them separately and not try to connect those individual stories.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Evil Eagle posted:

There's a secret at the end of the game if you never die.

Specifically You see Marin flying as a seagull, which is a callback to some of her earlier dialogue.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It would take something massive for BOTW to suck. Like, they seriously spent hours upon hours showing the game off and it never got old. I guess it's possible this is a long con and the first area is the only good part of the game, but it would take monumental incompetence to screw up given that we've seen freeform gameplay and not scripted playthroughs of linear areas.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DalaranJ posted:

I want to know what Andre puts on his resume if he ever looks for another job.

"Slavish, disturbing, and possibly pathological devotion to decoding fine details and minutiae."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

greatn posted:

Zelda sent Link back because she thought it was sad he didn't have a childhood.

Which backfires horribly.