Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Games > The Legend of Zelda: Skyrim Sword

We are pretty much being shown why this game has been taking so long. It has potentially too much stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
It is worth noting that A Link to the Past was named as such because it was a prequel to Zelda 1, so it isn't like this is a modern thing. Really the big problem for the timeline is that at some point Nintendo stopped mentioning it leading nerds to start fighting about it with the new games.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Every time they duck into a shrine just reminds me that, yes this is still a Zelda game at its core and that they are just right now focusing on all of the stuff that is new to the franchise. Really though, this game is so far looking like what I wanted after I played Skyrim. An open world RPG with an interesting world to explore, tons of little things to do, and proper Zelda style dungeons and puzzles.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All of the games have tied together in some way. LttP was the prequel to Zelda 1 + 2, and OoT was the prequel to that. Obviously MM was the direct sequel to OoT. WW featured a lot of callbacks to OoT and was implicitly a sequel set way down the line.

I only played TP once wasn't the Hero's Shade supposed to be one of the Links?

Anyway yeah the games have been interconnected for a long time now.

Yeah, the Hero's Shade is outright supposed to be OoT/MM Link. He became the best swordsman in the land after all his adventures but never ended up teaching his skills to anyone, and as a result the regret he died with ended up making him become the Hero's Shade.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 14, 2016

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So far it looks like the blade beam for this game is just throwing your sword.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
One of the really striking things about the game to me is that they are only showing off a pretty small part of the game. Like, the map has shown that for as big as the plateau feels it is actually pretty tiny compared to the rest of Hyrule. What I am now wondering about is all the stuff we aren't seeing like the dungeons and NPC interaction and what the shops are like.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Suspicious Dish posted:

wait are items not normally infinite use

You get Runes from the shrines, and those are pretty much Zelda dungeon items but they have cooldowns. Equipment like Bows, Shields and Weapons have durability and can be found on anything that uses them or just in different places in the world. Oh, also arrows, which are ammo based, can be picked up from an enemies missed shots.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Regy Rusty posted:

If I were just hearing about this rather than watching that would be my reaction too. But it's very much not actually a survival or minecraft type game. Everything you're cooking and finding is purely to help you in combat and exploration. It's all extremely simple and looks very non-time consuming at all. It's not the central focus of the game.

Yeah, the game is actually really huge in pretty much every way, so it is easy to forget/not notice the traditional Zelda things while looking at all the open world stuff. Really it makes a whole lot of sense why they are devoting a day or more of streams to this game. There a lot to cover even without getting into the traditional Zelda stuff. Also they have stated that they are limiting things to the opening area to avoid spoilers to the story.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

mabels big day posted:

The only crafting shown so far is cooking

Yeah, it looks like the survival mechanics like cooking are simple and are just there to supplement the exploration and combat with them buffing/healing you. Really all of the new mechanics actually seem pretty simplified, and are all just there to complement the core mechanics.

Also with regards to the game having a very minimalist start, they stated that the intention is to copy the tone of the original Zelda and have the story be something you have to set out to discover.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Okay, so towns and other NPC's do exist, they are just not in the E3 build for spoiler reasons.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

smell this posted:

id like to thank nintendo for releasing a game where i can change links clothes when he gets too cold and cook food for him when he’s low on health thank you for making a zelda game where i am links mother

You just made me realize that they are taking the importance of fashion from Tri-Force Heroes and putting it into this game. Also with some of the recipes increasing your defense against the elements this means you can just focus on wearing what looks good.

Games > The Legend of Zelda: Fashion Souls Edition

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Did that burning grass create an updraft for the glider? Also they are going to show off some of the non-plateau shrines next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

youcallthatatwist posted:

My thoughts on the weapon durability is that it actually seems really fun, if implemented correctly. The whole point is that you're not holding on to your equipment forever: you need to go out and engage in combat to get enemy weapons. It's like they took the gimmick from Wind Waker and expanded it into a core mechanic. Also, they throw a TON of weapons at you if you explore a little. I don't think it'll be too annoying.

It also looks like the attack that breaks the weapon also knocks down the enemy allowing you to run and grab what they just dropped, so you should not be running out of weapons to use at any time.

EDIT: The shrine gameplay is so good! Just the basic tools you are given look so fun to mess with for dungeon puzzles.

EDIT 2: Did Link partly ragdoll on death?!?

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 14, 2016