Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kind of interesting how minimalistic the game is.

You wake up in some weird pod thing, get your iPad, and then there's a big world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Regy Rusty posted:

Relatedly, he said something about "traveling instantly" so looks like fast travel will be available fairly early on, which is good in an overworld this size

I bet each shrine is a fast travel point.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I have to admit, this went completely beyond my expectations.

I was expecting a bigger Link Between Worlds.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

s.i.r.e. posted:

I just beat Mad Max on PC, which is awesome, but I just realized the worst part about a game this big: getting 100% sucks. The new Zelda looks absolutely massive and I'm wondering how they're going to do collecting because on the one hand, if you don't have enough stuff to collect you have world that's big for no reason but if you put too much stuff to fill in that world then things can easily become tedious. Zelda's always been really good about having a lot to do but not too much where you have to sink in 80 hours to do it, I always like that I can pick up a Zelda title and see the whole thing in a day or even single sitting.

I imagine this is at least partly why there are breakable weapons. So you'll always need to get new stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Happy swordhammer Goron owns.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zelda will get the Master Sword while Link uses Light Arrows to defeat Ganon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure it's the Deku Tree.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Finding hearts in rocks or grass isn't in this game. It's all potions potions and food.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I just chopped down a bunch of trees to make a bridge so I could reach a raft to cross a freeing river.

In other games you'd have a little cutscene, get a key item, and it would all come together nice and neatly.

This game you just have to think of it on your own, and it just happens organically.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK on Puffer Beach there's this lady holding on to an ancient orb right next to the obvious slot it goes in. How do I get her to let go of it? Anybody figured that out?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To pass time in the rain you should find a tree or some other shelter, light a fire under it and pass the time with that.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think torches can break if you just use them to light fires.

At least, it hasn't happened to me.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Where exactly is this deer hunting mini game people have mentioned?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Skyward sword and breath of the wild are opposites

Which is funny because a lot of BoTW's mechanics are directly descended from Skyward's Sword.

Like, the Stamina meter is the most immediate, but there also the materials system. Both cooking and upgrades were in more basic forms in that game. Dowsing developed into the Sheikah Sensor.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

If you choose the massage option at the hotel you get a sound only scene where you hear the masseur and some ruffling fabric and they she "Oh!"'s in surprise, then slyly laughs and then you get up the next day with full hearts plus and an extra stamina wheel. It's implied that she gave Link a rub & tug.

I'm calling it this is a reference to the healing ladies in Zelda 2

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hmm but you also wake up with more extra hearts than usual and an extra stamina wheel if you take the Goron massage in Goron City.

Link does not discriminate.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I basically play BoTW as a Stealth game.

Link ain't got time for chivalry he will backstab you and if he can't do that he'll pelt you with a million Bomb arrows.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You know is it just me or is it actually a lot easier to get money in Master Mode. SIlver and Gold enemies drop gemstones in addition to the usual monster bits, and with Master Mode's increased number of silver and addition of gold enemies I just am loaded with Sapphires, Topaz, and Rubies.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

A constant struggle between player and game designer is that when having the choice between the safe, boring option and the risky, fun option people will tend to pick the former.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bust Rodd posted:

I think Horses are a cool idea, but mechanically I fast travel absolutely everywhere and am constantly ditching what I’m doing to go base jumping off bridges and cliffs or climbing mountains, and my horse can’t come with me.

The whistle should’ve been a Magic Whistle that works from anywhere or there should be a magic horse that comes from any distance. I don’t think I’ve even thought about horses in like the last 30 hours of play.

If you have the Champion's Ballad DLC there is a quest to get you a bit of horse gear that let's you teleport said horse to wherever you are.

I have used it, and my horses, a lot in this Master Mode No Fast Travel run I've been doing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cattail Prophet posted:

If teleporting your horse is allowed can you really call it a No Fast Travel run? :thunk:

Link isnt fast traveling the horse is

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I mean even in Zelda 1 the required burnable bushes and bombable walls are relatively unique compared to the more obtuse optional ones.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bust Rodd posted:

I don’t understand why people make that comparison. Dark Souls games don’t look, act, play, or respond like Zelda games... at all.

Dark Souls is fairly evocative of the first two Zelda games for being very methodical games which drop you into the world and just let you go whichever way you want while being kind of indifferent to the idea of guiding the player.

It's not such much the moment to moment gameplay so much as they inspire similar emotions through their mechanics.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Because OoT was made when just getting a 3D game that worked and played well was a new and exciting thing that was groundbreaking in and of itself. Wind Waker had to be more ambitious just because by that time 3D games had been established.

Edit: OoT literally invented the idea of the lock on in a 3D action game.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 30, 2020

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I hope Zelda's Sheikah Slate moveset includes the Camera rune in some way. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

nrook posted:

A classic extra challenge is to refrain from fast traveling. Obviously this doesn't really make the game "harder" in a traditional sense, but it makes it immersive in a novel way.

No Fast travel is a very different experience.

Been doing one with Master Mode and one particularly memorable one involved the "Under a Red Moon" shrine.

See, I had marked it for later, but then a bit of time later the Blood Moon rose up in the night and I realized there was a problem.

The shrine is in Hyrule Ridge area. Where was I? Akkala. As far away from the shrine as possible.

Luckily, Blood Moons don't go into effect if you are in a shrine. So I dived into one before it could trigger. Once the time passed I exited, and I had a day or so to race across Hyrule to that shrine. It was rather intenses, rushing past on my horse as fast as possible. Not to mention that I had to stop several times to help people being attacked by monsters (What? You think a Hero's going to leave people? :colbert: ) I made it with an in game hour to spare, with the moon very red and visible in the sky.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

pentyne posted:

With any gatcha game it's not even a remotely smart idea to play it for at least 6-12 months once the whales have hit it and someone has dug into the code to see if the listed drop rates are true or if the company is lying about it and has some devil algorithm that will make sure someone gets a legendary at certain intervals based on user data for when spending starts to decline.

This is actually illegal. Like, any f2p game with gacha elements made anywhere in Asia has to be 100% honest about drop rates because all those countries have regulations stating so.

PCjr sidecar posted:

I’d read it as: at the start, not every poster in the thread is a whale or whale inclined, but the gatcha ratchet eventually drives out the non-whales, or the non whales stop posting

It helps that it's straight up not true. If a game is not-whale friendly it tends to stay that way and games that aren't don't get big threads here on SA anyways.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heran Bago posted:

The claims that the gacha can be ignored for the main game's storyline content are lies.

No it isn't. Like, not every F2P game is going to be scummy whalebait. There are good ones that don't require a new mortgage to beat.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cartoon Man posted:

Here’s Ubisoft’s take on BOTW.

https://www.pcgamer.com/immortals-fenyx-rising-is-a-fun-riff-on-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-with-a-few-cool-ideas-of-its-own/

Icarus wings instead of a paraglider, you can glide as long as you have enough stamina.

It’s supposedly a light hearted comedic take on Greek mythology.

Yes a light hearted game made by a company that shields abusers are rapists sounds fun.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I legit think (and hope) it’ll be something like this, followed by Zelda going to deal Ganon in Hyrule Castle as the final boss.

Ftfy

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Bust Rodd posted:

My favorite Zelda speed run lore is how the WW speed runs had more or less been static and gridlocked for like 2 years and then someone figured out the Sacred a water plant boss interaction 10 years after the game comes out because the ahD rerelease and suddenly there’s new life breathed into the community and people went insane trying to figure out how to make use of it.

I feel like typos and autocorrect rendered the core of this post unrecognizable. What is the trick that was discovered?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK that's pretty amusing.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That's a pretty clever way to be able to easily make the countless NPCs in the game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

JustJeff88 posted:

I genuinely want them to release a Zelda collection for Switch with Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, but called "Sensible Controls Edition"

Skyward Sword is way, way too tied to motion controls to ever use anything but (Also it is the Sensible controls. :colbert: )

Luckily the Joycons can work just as well as a Motion+ Wii Remote.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tender Bender posted:

Getting back into hyrule warriors and I know this is a nitpick but the OC's are really bothering me, especially since they're so prominent in the Legends campaign.

Why is Wizzro a wizrobe-like amalgamation instead of Agahnim (or Vaati)? Why is Lana with her moveset not Saria? Volga is basically a Dynasty Warriors character loosely inspired by Volvagia, but at least I can't think of a character that could replace him. Maybe Nabooru or a pre-Triforce, Prince of Thieves Ganondorf?

Cia's model design is obviously egregious, but after having played with her now and seeing her whip and heel-stomping attacks, I feel like I know too much about the kink behind whoever on the team created her.

Lana isn't Saira because her personality and role in the plot isn't Saria and same with every other character next question.

I don't know if you've ever played any crossover games before but typically they have some original characters made for the game to help set up and enable said crossover plot.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm not going to stand for this Volga slander, he's Volvagia and Lu Bu combined and one of the best characters in the game.

:hmmyes:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Vandar posted:

The fact that we haven't gotten a Zelda Maker in the same style as Mario Maker yet is downright criminal.

Nah a key part of Mario Maker is that making a Mario level ca be made very simple and game-like. You paint level features, put Mario down.

With Zelda you have overworlds, dungeons, tons of possible items combinations etc. You could make a Zelda Maker but it would be a much more complicated product with a steeper learning curve and I don't know if Nintendo wants that.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 27, 2021

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Zore posted:

I think there's some developer commentary that its supposed to be THE Skull Kid who stole the Ocarina of Time and did all the Termina nonsense.

I mean Saria's Song plays while interacting with him.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ogmius815 posted:

Apparently the 3D All Stars version is based on a 1997 Japanese re-release version that was itself a back-translation of the North American version of SM64 (which had mostly, extra voice acting for Mario and Peach and bug fixes). So its almost the same as the NA N64 release, but not technically "identical." One of very few differences you might have noticed is that the cannon shot star in Jolly Roger Bay is out in the open, rather than inside a ! block as in the N64 NA version.

It also fixes the glitch that lets Mario Backwards Long Jump to reach Warp Speed so it breaks most speedrun strats. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Skyward Sword was good. It took the increasing emphasis on set peices and making even the overworld a puzzle solving experience that Zelda has been building up since OoT and took it to it's ultimate conclusion. BoTW owes a ton to its existence.

Also the swordplay and setting own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kassad posted:

Pretty much, they're just changing the cosmology to fit the story of the latest game. It's like how the goddess Hylia wasn't a thing before Skyward Sword, or the three goddesses before OoT (LttP just mentioned gods without any details).

Nah the LttP manual told the same creation myth story that the Deku tree detailed in OoT. The chief difference being that OoT gave them names while the LttP manual just called them the "Goddess of Power" and so on.

And honestly it wouldn't surprise me if there was some other mostly Japanese only extra source that kind of hinted at Hiyla.