Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

greatn posted:

Miyamoto's just had an interview where he said basically the same thing was happening over in Mario town, young developers bringing in new ideas and throwing out some old ones, that they would have something to show probably next E3

Sounds good. My dream is that their plans for Zelda carry over and we get an open world Mario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It occurred to me that it will be interesting to see how Nintendo makes an open world game like that work without a real progression system. Every other similar game has you gaining XP (of a sort at least) over the game that you can put into increasing you health and other attributes. Presumably this game still uses heart containers to increase health (although we haven't seen any), but what about other factors like speed or stamina, Will they tied into gear or items? Or are you going to go through the whole game with a fairly similar Link? I can't wait to see what they do.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

People should really hold off until the NX is revealed before they make any decisions about this game. There is an outside chance that the NX is just a souped-up handheld machine (that can maybe transmit TV signals to a dongle), so it's possible that the NX could actually look worse than the Wii U version. It's unlikely, but possible.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

SS is an insult of a Zelda. TP is just a little aesthetically lacking.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

Kakariko Village is a Western movie one horse town

In SS the entire game is a western movie one horse town. It's practically empty, and it reuses every area six times over.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Wind Waker has always had the worst dungeons in a 3D Zelda game. I mean, usually, when you get a key, the only thing you can do with it is use it in the same room you got it. It may as well just be a switch. And there's only 5 proper dungeons anyway.

And anyone who couldn't hack the Water Temple is a chump.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The first review is out: Edge magazine gave it 10/10.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I wouldn't say the Edge review contains major spoilers. What's the policy of review scans on here, anyway? Because I have a link I could post if people want it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It's as much a spoiler as "Link has to fight through eight dungeons to find the magical musical instruments that will awaken the Wind Fish" is for Link's Awakening. I.e. information you expect to find on the back of the game's box.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

axeil posted:

how does it compare to the greatest story in any zelda game: majora's mask?

being serious here, majora's mask has a really great story/world. i know nothing about botw because i'm afraid of it being like skyward sword all over again and getting hyped only to spend the whole game convincing myself i was actually enjoying it instead of it feeling tedious.

It's from Gamexplain, so take it with a grain of salt, but in their big BotW preview video they said it compared to MM very well, with big villages with a lot to do and discover in them. They even mentioned that the children in one village play different games depending on what day it is.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

(First village spoilers)
Does anyone know how to get the big glowing ball out of Impa's house? I've already found the socket for it in the forest above the town, but Impa stops me whenever I have to take it.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I loving love this game, it's everything I dreamed it would be, probably the GOAT, etc. But if I have one complaint so far (other than the frame rate) it would be that it feels like the game disincentives the player from fighting random enemies. In another open world game (say, Witcher 3) if I came upon a bandit camp, the only thing stopping me from attacking is my fear of dying, and if I go for it at the very least I'll get XP.

But in BotW, when I see a random Bokoblin camp, I worry that if I attack I'll just lose my decent weapons, lose more arrows than I gain, lose hearts that need my precious food to replace, and all for some scrub Bokoblin loot and maybe a chest with 5 arrows in it. It just feels easier to run straight past.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Eiji Aounuma has had a haircut, what can this mean?!?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I really hope the game starts on the ground and then gives an extremely open objective to reach the sky, in the same manner as "defeat Ganon". You might not get to the sky until hours into the game, and it's by one of a whole bunch of possible methods. Maybe you happen across an ability like that time manipulation that allows you to hitch a ride on a reversed-time fallen rock, or manage to find enough propellors or whatever to cobble together the flying platform in that video.

Also, I do increasingly wonder if there's going to be two separate time periods, OOT style. Normal-looking Link in one and Toga Link in the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

People realise that “Ultrahand” is a deep-cut Nintendo reference, right?

http://blog.beforemario.com/2011/03/nintendo-ultra-hand-1966.html