Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
This game looks loving beautiful.

bloodychill pointed out in another thread that the performance is poo poo, and at first I didn't know what he was on about since the trailer looked fantastic.

But if you watch the nintendo treehouse right now, its running at like 5 frames per second. It looks AWFUL.

Hopefully that's just a problem with the stream or capture...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Clockwork dungeon with a time-freeze mechanic?

Sign me up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MokBa posted:

Plot spoilers: The villain is "Calamity Ganon" who took over Hyrule Castle 100 years earlier. This is definitely feeding the idea that this game is something of a "remake" of the original LoZ. As much as I HATE to talk about the timeline in these threads, LoZ takes place in the "OoT Link failed" timeline, whereas WW is Adult Link timeline. Maybe BotW is the WW timeline version of the original game? (This theory's only other support is the appearance of a Korok though.)

Why do people even care about this stuff?

The whole point of the "Legend of Zelda" is there's always a Zelda and there's always a Hero of Time.

He's literally the dread pirate roberts. There's dozens of different Links throughout time in different scenarios. Its the perfect excuse for games to have sequels that are all similar but slightly different.

And then you guys gotta go and force some timeline into it because you just can't handle that?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Real screens from the upcoming Zelda release:

AHHH! SO TASTY!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

To be fair, Nintendo does have an official timeline. It was fanwank for a while but it's canon now. I mean, the beginning of Wind Waker basically confirms it takes place in the same universe/timeline as Ocarina of Time, so it's not too much of a stretch, y'know?

I'm aware, I'm a big enough nerd I've read all about the split timelines and which game goes into which.

But it was really something that was kinda forced on Nintendo. Miyamoto never cared about having a cohesive timeline and it wasn't until fans came up with their own timeline and kept pestering him with questions about it that they finally came out and released an "official timeline", and its massively contrived because the games clearly weren't designed with it as a strict rule in mind.

Its better to forget that even exists. Just because Ocarina of time involved time travel you don't have to go creating all these split universes, sheesh.

thexerox123 posted:

What do you mean "you guys"? The timeline was originally from a Zelda encyclopedia edited by Eiji Aonuma, so whether you like that stuff or not, it's from an official source.

Regy Rusty posted:

Nintendo did it themselves

I know, see above. But Nintendo clearly doesn't obsess about the timeline, they don't care. They just put it out there because nerds kept pestering them about it. Miyamoto has never given a poo poo about the timeline.

And by "you guys" I mean the goons I replied to, duh :colbert: People need to just let it go and not obsess about it so much. Nintendo may have released it but they just put it out there because people begged for it, they don't care like some fans do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Although I will say its pretty funny that the fanwank theories went and came up with two split timelines and fit all the games into them (and there was a great gametrailers retrospective breaking it down) and then Nintendo went and one-upped them with a three-pronged timeline.

MokBa posted:

I'm the guy that had a "no timeline discussion" rule in these threads for years, so you're preaching to the choir. But then Nintendo went and released an official timeline. I'm actually much more interested in the idea of this game as a modern remake of the original and was just approaching it from a certain angle. But sure, continue to be an rear end and assume that I can't "handle" the series without my precious timeline.

Or maybe you can contribute to the thread without insulting people.

Uh, is this not Something Awful? :cheeky:

Sorry if I upset you. really, not just like, bullshitting. But I don't think I said anything too inflammatory (The worst thing I said was "you can't handle that?" comeon)

If I really am preaching to the choir then you understand my reservations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't believe I've been watching this Zelda stream all day. It's making me want to get back to my Zelda replay too that I put down due to being burnt out.

I should finally get around to playing Skyward Sword... but I'll probably just re-play Wind Waker HD instead :)

Regy Rusty posted:

If I were just hearing about this rather than watching that would be my reaction too. But it's very much not actually a survival or minecraft type game. Everything you're cooking and finding is purely to help you in combat and exploration. It's all extremely simple and looks very non-time consuming at all. It's not the central focus of the game.

Basically Skyrim.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

thehoodie posted:

This trailer made me want to go back and play Ocarina of Time but then I remembered I'd have to go through all the child Link dungeons before getting to the interesting stuff. I have a hard time playing that game because I just find the kid link stuff so boring.

Maybe I'll play Majora's Mask instead.

If you know what to do already you can knock out kid link in like a couple hours tops.

Then when you get to the master sword, make a copy of your save and never do it again :)

(it let you copy them didn't it? or just delete? Maybe I'm wrong. Well you could always emulate on PC at high resolution and use save states...)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

youcallthatatwist posted:

My thoughts on the weapon durability is that it actually seems really fun, if implemented correctly. The whole point is that you're not holding on to your equipment forever: you need to go out and engage in combat to get enemy weapons. It's like they took the gimmick from Wind Waker and expanded it into a core mechanic. Also, they throw a TON of weapons at you if you explore a little. I don't think it'll be too annoying.

Nioh did the same thing, and it was a cool idea but also frustrating because:

dragon enthusiast posted:

Really dumb how they had to keep hot swapping weapons cause their inventory was full. Hope they figure out something less frustrating

This is what happens, plus just a lot of inventory management which gets annoying fast.

Both games are unreleased so we'll see how they tweak the systems.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rime posted:

Havok Physics is going to make this game amazing. :allears:

https://fat.gfycat.com/SharpFlamboyantImperatorangel.webm

Eat your heart out, Farcry.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That map looks super cool

Rime posted:

Also there's over 100 of those shrines, according to the livestream.

Just in case, you know, it wasn't clear how loving huge the game world is. :asoiaf:

Goddamn

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Med School posted:

When they were climbing to the shrine in the one video it reminded me of the ice cliffs in FF7.

I hope you don't have to wait till level 20 to get your mech in this game...

The first 5 hours are just Hyrule

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Nintendo Treehouse ladies are really entertaining, they're not doing the hyperactive thing youtube streamers do and they're not doing fake gamer dialogue like other E3 presentations. Dunno how much time they had to practice, probably lots, but she's actually really good at playing the game while talking about it, and they keep pointing out really cool little details.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gamer With Dignity posted:

This game is going to make a lot of money because Minecraft.

What the heck does this have to do with minecraft?! :psyduck:

You can't dig or place blocks, not the same thing at all. Its much closer to Skyrim than anything.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Found some new Zelda footage

SirPenguin posted:

Yeah, the plateau is definitely the "tutorial area" but on the Treehouse stream Bill said that you can pick whatever side you want to jump off on, and because of the sheer size of everything you'll be pretty committed to that direction for at least the start of the game

I would hope for their sake that the systems they design are fairly area agnostic. I'm actually betting on some sort of central hub that acts as your home base that you can do your business in - cash in spirit orbs, buy or repair weapons, collect 100 butterflies, whatever

Man if you can really just run off in whatever direction you want and end up starting the game in whatever order, completing different temples and shrines

:allears:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Devoyniche posted:

So this game is kinda Zelda meets Monster Hunter/baby Dark Souls, right? Because that would be my loving dream game and Im beyond hyped if it is.

Between this and Zelda Warriors, Im surprised Nintendo has been taking so many "risks" with regards to changing up their formula on such a prominent title. Both of those games are games that, when I was youger, I was like, "Man if I ran Nintendo I would make...."

Its Tony Hawk's Legend of Dark Souls: Skyrim, which is like an insane fanboy fever dream somehow made real.

I still can't believe the sheer scope of the world in this game, or the things you can do.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MokBa posted:

What gets me more than anything is that we were shown hours and hours of content yesterday, and that content only barely even scratches the surface of the game. We still don't know plot, characters, towns, items, dungeons, and many of the other Zelda elements. I think it was so focused on what's new that I'm curious as to what's coming back from more recent games. Everything that's been wrong with the series – linearity, handholding, single-use items – seems to have been solved. But what about what's right? The games have gotten phenomenal at puzzle design. And SS had some of my all-time favorite dungeons in the series.

I also wish I could go into the game knowing nothing. Man I can't wait!

Looks like they're taking the thing from Link Between Worlds where you can complete dungeons in different orders based on the items you get, and that a given dungeon won't just have one obvious item that you get at the start and use for that dungeon and boss and then never again, instead giving you dungeons with one clear item that you can use but also alternative solutions to puzzles involving items from other dungeons.

Which is great. And something zelda games have gotten both right and wrong throughout the series.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

mabels big day posted:

This is going to be the greatest game ever made.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Screenshotted since it looks like their website crashed

This is some napkin math, so probably inaccurate, but even if ballpark its pretty drat loving big

We're looking at roughly 140 square miles :siren:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

I have to imagine that they wouldn't bother with such a huge world if there wasn't going to be plenty of stuff to explore and secrets to find. (In fact, according to Eiji Aonuma, a good portion of the story will only be found if you explore for it--if you just follow the critical path, you won't get the whole story.) But I also hope they don't just copy-paste points of interest around the map Ubisoft-style. That kind of thing just gets so fatiguing.

My own concern is that I want it to be fun to traverse. I want traveling through the open world to be a fun part of the game in and of itself, not just what I do between the fun parts. So far, the demo footage has me feeling pretty optimistic--it looks like the amount of potentially fun environmental interactions, different ways you can fight random enemies you come across, all that stuff, will keep exploration fun.

Between hangliding and shield surfing, I think traversing the game world looks like one of the most fun parts of it so far :)

And don't forget Epona

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

greatn posted:

From Time magazine

I love this. It's like the young guns at Nintendo are really starting to have their voices heard and his like Aunoma are really listening.

It is absolutely shocking how rare this is in the game industry.

"Game Design" as as a discipline is still extremely young and unrefined. Basically just a few nerds who convinced other people to hire them on experience doing their best guess. There's almost nobody actually considering it as a proper discipline or trade.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

now what incentive will the speedrunners choose for the botw charity marathon run

"What outfit should I wear the whole game"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MokBa posted:

A friend of mine is completely convinced that this game will have a dual-world time travel mechanic like OoT. Personally, I'm very very tired of that in my Zelda games.

I'd love to see another season-changing mechanic, which would potentially work really well with the whole survival aspect. Having trouble getting through a cold area? Change to summer!

It's been done before in oracle but its not nearly as mined to death as time travel.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

They mentioned on the stream that you can just like eat food as you run in order to boost your stamina indefinitely and stuff like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sounds good. My dream is that their plans for Zelda carry over and we get an open world Mario game.

Like Mario 64?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I think Watch_Dogs squandered a lot of goodwill toward open world games by promising the moon, and then making GBS threads on our lawns.

Not just Watch_Dogs, basically every game Ubisoft makes is an open-world game that gains almost nothing from being Open World.

Farcry 3 and 4 are open world games that for no loving reason limit you to a small playable area for each mission you go on. Why in the gently caress...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

The thing about that shield parry is that deflecting projectiles is nothing new in the Zelda series, whether you do it with your sword or shield, but that just looks so goddamn meaty and satisfying there.

That, and the timing is really tight, it looks like. That's a really fast projectile.

Tennis with Ganondorf!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Cheez posted:

Give me Mario 64 but with seamless transitions between worlds

Yeah as much as I enjoyed Mario Galaxy, that's pretty much all I want from Mario at this point. Just Mario 64-2.

Mario 128.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

When I play I'm going to beeline for Hyrule castle and Death Mountain ASAP and get killed

I'm gonna go straight to death mountain and there better not be any stupid guard with a locked gate saying I need the King's permission to enter or anything like that

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

That meteorite must contain metal or ore of some kind the way it lit up like a beacon. That's probably one of the main sources of rare metals/minerals.

Exactly what I was just discussing with my cousin. The way it lights up definitely means for you to go find it. And I was guessing it'd drop some item you'd use.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I love how this is pretty much exactly what we saw in the earlier cinematic trailer for Zelda. Everybody makes trailers that are full of BS that don't end up in-game, but they're actually delivering with this game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

A closer look at the thing on Death Mountain

I see Midna riding on the back of Biggoron. :tinfoil:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, Link is probably a clone or something here. I mean there's been talk from the devs about discovering the origins of this Link and you wake up in a 'Resurrection chamber' that has a funky big machine in it that drains blue fluid from around you. I think its less that Link was asleep for 100 years and more that they just made a new one.

OR, and stick with me here for a minute on this ker-razy idea, you're not a clone and its just a secret time capsule chamber just like Link spent 7 years in during OOT.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Agh, I'm so split. I was gonna just get it on WiiU and get Switch much later when splatoon 2 comes out, but looking at the draw distance differences, even if the improve the framerate on wiiu with a patch, I kinda want the switch version now...

But then I may not be able to find a switch for some time. So do I hold off on playing Zelda until I can find one?

Ugh I don't wanna bother trying to rush stores at 6 AM or whatever :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rexroom posted:

Just get the Wii U version, you can buy it again for the Switch later.

yeah that sounds about right

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I have the new Zelda. I know most of you area head of me, but I have the new Zelda, and I am happy :)

Its even on WiiU and I don't even care

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

sidequest sidequest

Aaaaaaah I am so ready for this zelda

Too bad I'm still patching but SOON

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OH MAN THIS GAME loving RULES

I love how it just lets you play. There's so much to do and you can do any of it and it doesn't baby you.

Popete posted:

Just picked up my WiiU copy. How big is the patch?

Like 2.8GB, its pretty significant but I downloaded it in like 13 minutes, not too bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kirios posted:

Three hours in...

This game is special. I don't want to spoil anything so far, but....man, this is a hell of a game.

Yeah for real. I don't want to spoil anything either, but I was watching a French streamer last night, and there's a dungeon in this game unlike anything Nintendo has ever done. Unlike anything anybody has ever done, I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

How much space is needed on a WiiU (physical copy, not digital) for the game?

The game and the day-1 patch on a WiiU with physical disc takes up 2375MB on my WiiU drive right now.

It seemed like it was possible to play without installing the patch, which would then presumably require only a few MB for the save file, but I didn't actually test it, it might complain and force you to patch I don't know.

If you go digital you'll need another 9GB for the disc data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Question for the Wii U folks. I'm wondering about digital v disc versions and how noisy the console is with the disc. Some games make a ton of noise when the disc reads and make me go mad. Id rather give my money to the local mom and pop game store but if the disc makes a bunch of read noises I'm getting it digitally. Does the disc make a bunch of noise while playing? Thanks!

I noticed it spin up pretty loud once when I was interacting with a shrine, but almost seemed like... appropriate?! Like... machinery was happening at the same time.

I haven't really noticed the spin noise otherwise while playing. Maybe I'm too distracted.