Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I haven't/am not watching any live streams, it's late in this part of the world and I guess you folks will link to recordings tomorrow?

But looking at the trailer, and hearing how it's about open world survivalist and gathering food and cooking and stuff, I just hope it isn't too minecraft-y. I hope for cool dungeon designs and a good plot. It's easy to not have a plot at all except for an opening and an ending with such an open game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MNLUju3CUY

Catapult man finds something real good near the temple of time

The interesting thing is that BotW has a temple of time that doesn't seem nearly as dilapidated as the one in TP.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't know you could even do the race with any horse other than Epona. I knew you could ride them in the pen but that was about it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I like how he uses that LttP ice dungeon puzzle everyone seems to hate as an example of good dungeon design.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I will never understand how people had trouble with the SS controls.

It turns out that like 9 out of 10 times the problems with motion controls are fixed by telling people to stop pre-swinging the sword in the wrong direction, and just use clear short movements in the direction you want to swing, instead.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, I think the previous parts were linked here?

This guy on youtube is doing a dungeon design analysis for all Zelda games (starting with LttP), and it's quite interesting because he goes into actual design decisions the developers made or could've made.

Here's the latest, his OoT video that was uploaded a day ago. His conclusion? The Water Temple is the only good dungeon in OoT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LO8Z1DkDqc&list=PLc38fcMFcV_ul4D6OChdWhsNsYY3NA5B2

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

My response to his conclusion is broadly: "But what if linearity is good?"
I agree, but if people consider linearity to be a good thing, why are they so hyped about this open-world game?

Trent posted:

Personally, I always got lost in the forest temple somehow. :blush:
On my first playthrough, the forest temple freaked me out with the creepy music and wallmasters. After that, the Bottom of the Well freaked me out because of the invisible stuff. After that, the Shadow Temple was a bit of a let-down on the creepiness scale.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

News on what the NX will be like

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is the only Nintendo-related thread in Games that I got bookmarked, so I'll post this here. Feel free to spread the news.

The internet archive made a crapload of old Nintendo Power magazines available for free at https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it uses the sensor bar when aiming weapons

In other news,

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is the only Nintendo-related thread in Games that I got bookmarked, so I'll post this here. Feel free to spread the news.

The internet archive made a crapload of old Nintendo Power magazines available for free at https://archive.org/details/nintendopower

Welp, Nintendo DMCA'd them and it was taken offline. Only a few days after they DMCA'd the Metroid fangame.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It's also a remake of a Michael Crichton film from the 70s so you don't even have to wait for the show to come out!

That's what they said about 12 monkeys, but in the end the series went way further than the movie ever did. I'll check out this series, too.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes it was right there, and Ganondorf tried to grab it. But because he cares about power more than anything else, he only kept that piece, and courage and wisdom went to Link and Zelda.

IIRC child Link and Zelda do not yet have the triforce symbol on their hands.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This'll get shut down way before any new info on BotW gets released.

No, it'll get shut down about 2 days after the official release of the mod, so that it's out there, fans have their way, everyone can find it on file sharing sites - but Nintendo has done what their lawyers demand of them as well, making everyone happen.

That's exactly what happened with the last few Nintendo remake projects, so it'll probably go the same way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This has incredible animation quality for a fan production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbMQfaG6lo8

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I still find myself wondering why time stands still behind the ground level door of the clock tower.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://retrogamingmagazine.com/2016/12/09/3d-printed-legend-of-zelda-board-created-sold/

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

pre:
                                Dawn of 
                             The First Day

- 72 Hours Remain -

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

pre:
                               Dawn of 
                            The Second Day

- 48 Hours Remain -

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

With a decent set of headphones you could also cover general digital entertainment and just "regular" videogames. Sit with the VR glasses on and bam, stadium-sized screen in front of you with surround sound. Also equating motion controls with VR motion-tracking tech is just dumb. Motion controls amount to "look, you waggle and stuff happens onscreen". Motion in VR is "holy poo poo, that's my hand picking up the thing in this virtual world! :eyepop:"

I tried it once at a demo. The hand in the VR game was much hairier than mine.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

pre:
                               Dawn of 
                            The Final Day

- 24 Hours Remain -

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

LA is better than LttP.

:colbert:

I mean, yeah. It acknowledges this itself. It just won't stop telling you how the compass gained a new function.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Looked at some of the other stuff they have, as some things have reviews.

They have "Link on a Loftwing". The reviews all have 5/5 stars, but one buyer said that assembly(!) was quite difficult. Some others said that it's REALLY big, they had trouble finding a display case large enough, and you shouldn't buy it if you don't have a lot of empty room to spare.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Those Zoras are based on their Oracle of Ages design aren't they?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't really mind the motion controls in the wrong version of Twilight Princess and I think they're perfectly fine in Skyward Sword.

But I would like to use this opportunity to complain, for the first time of my life, about the Wii motion controls. It's not Zelda specific though.

Okay, so I'm a modern person who watches tv through the internet. Cable tv is for old people, right?
My old Wii, which actually has gone mostly unused for the last two years or so, was the only reason I still hadn't put my old CRT TV with the trash yet. Yes, a CRT.

But the TV was dying and I wanted to get rid of it, so I found a solution: you can buy a 3rd party 'made in china' Wii2Hdmi converter thing, you plug it in the Wii's AV port and you plug in a HDMI cable on the other side et voila. That way I can use my computer screen when I want to use my Wii again.

Except it didn't work. I kept getting a black screen with an "Out of Range" error, while audio came through fine. Some googling taught me that this error had to do with having the wrong screen setting on the Wii. Okay, alright, I hook the Wii back up to the old CRT, went into the Wii options menu, went to the screen settings page, and there were three options: 50Hz, 60Hz and HDTV. HDTV was greyed out but internet told me that switching between 50 and 60Hz should work. It didn't. I was quite sure that the HDTV option would work, so I looked up how to enable it. "The Wii can detect the type of cable you plug in. The option will be enabled only when you plug in a HD cable". gently caress.

So, what I ended up having to do was memorize the options screen, plug in the HDMI convertor, point the Wiimote at a black screen, and blindly navigate it, my only help being the slight buzzes the Wiimote gives whenever you touch a button. I had to navigate the screen blindly with my Wiimote, count the buzzes, and somehow manage to press HDTV followed by OK. And it worked!

But at times like these, it would've been really incredibly convenient if the Wii options menu could understand the d-pad. Holy crap, I hate blind motion controls.

--------

Feel free to laugh at me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Lemming posted:

I got two questions

This game out yet

What's in skull lake

A friendly Stalfos with a pumpkin farming mini game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Spoilers be damned, but Pinocchio is confirmed to be in BotW.

im the 10 eur price ticket.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, they're saying that if the player is dead inside, their game's version of Link is also dead.

Makes sense.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today in the news: Breath of the Wild will be the first Zelda game to have a complete Dutch translation since "De Toverstaf van Gamelon".

I wonder what other less-used languages they'll translate it into.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, looks like sadly my worries are valid, and this game has no big epic dungeons that get more difficult as you progress and feel like you're invading some evil place. All the puzzles are randomly strewn on the overworld instead, meaning you lose the sense of progression you get if you put in even a smidge of linearity into a game.

The big epic dungeons are what make a zelda game and without them, what's left is a stunningly beautiful, zelda-themed, sandbox overworld. And sandbox games bore me.

I mean, even though Majora's Mask was mainly about the overworld and the people, and that was, honestly, fantastic, they STILL cared enough to put in four interesting dungeons that would each unlock new places in order, giving you a clear sense of progression through the game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

We've had multiple confirmations about dungeons and the impact they have on approaching the final castle...?

There was that review someone linked a few pages ago that said the four plot dungeons are way smaller than any dungeons in previous zelda games, and much more like the BotW shrines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Originally posted over in the LP subforum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sehcIxF-_eo