Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rime posted:

From that thread:

:asoiaf:

With how balls to the wall they're going, this might be the Final Zelda. :tinfoil:

You're missing the two important images there, so we'll just have to take your word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirPenguin posted:

I thought the weapon durability system might be a pain in the rear end, but after watching it I really really dig it

This comparison might seem out there, but I get strong Hotline Miami vibes from the whole thing. They have the right level of "disposability" while still being vital and useful, and I imagine it'll encourage players to be aggressive and opportunistic - which is also a recent trend in action games

I'm concerned with how they'll handle a permanent weapons. To go back to Hotline Miami, the 'dance of weapons' was a lot less vital when you had a Tony mask and your fists were a source of permanent OHKO. Perhaps the master sword is so rusted and damaged it'll continuously break and you need to use your special Sheikah iPhone to time-magic it back together

Considering ancient technology is a big part of the game by the looks of it, I'd wager it'll escalate to keeping a decent permanent weapon but finding some ancient version that's much stronger and only good for a few hits before breaking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Astro7x posted:

I don't know how I feel about all these new aspects to Zelda. Cooking food, crafting, wearing appropriate clothing for the climate you are in. Game will be amazing, but this new stuff just seems so odd to me.

Also, these fuckers are going to make me get Twilight Princess to get wold link aren't they?

You'd best do it sooner rather than later now that everyone's seen what it unlocks, otherwise you'll probably be fighting for one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Have a wallpaper

Look, Nintendo, just give us the pretty painted artwork, don't cram a logo onto it. You did the same drat thing for the Majora's Mask ones :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm a little sad that the towns and NPCs (other than Old Man) were removed, but I can get behind preserving some secrecy.

I really can't get over how great this all looks. I'm really hoping that we get more info in the 9 months between now and the NX launch.

PS: My favorite Zelda game givin' me wolf DLC is just so good.

Towns and NPC's exist, they're just not in the e3 build.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rocketlex posted:

Watching other people's reactions to the demo, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how similar this game's opening is to the start of the new Doom.

"...Open your eyes..."

"...Now... RIP AND TEAR!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

I think it's even bigger than that as well.

It's stupidly huge.

I think it's safe to say they've been vindicated on all the delays, nevermind an NX version :eyepop:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Considering how goddamn big the game is already, it was probably so they wouldn't accidentally break poo poo in one version or the other.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inverness posted:

So many streamers passed by that one boulder that was in a perfect position to be pushed off the ledge and roll down into the explosive barrels to kill the goblins. :saddowns:

I'm not the only one that suspects this guy is Ganondorf or related to him, am I?

Pretty sure it's a version of King Daphnes Hyrule from Wind Waker.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Personally I'm thinking it simply takes place sometime after Spirit Tracks, the world kept evolving with its tech until we got these magic iORunes tablet, Demise's spirit resurrected into what is called Calamity Ganon and the world lost all the technological upgrades. Maybe the world is so vertical due to seismic activity messing up the land due to magic bs.

I dunno, a big valley area and a mention of a Calamity smells like a magic nuke to me. Especially as the Guardians at the Temple of Time all look like they got destroyed simultaneously mid-attack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Comrade Fakename posted:

Sounds good. My dream is that their plans for Zelda carry over and we get an open world Mario game.

Super Mario Maker's pretty much a nail in the coffin for new 2D mario games, for a while at least, so the next one being another 3D open-world iteration is a half-decent bet.

I just want another 3D Mario game like 64, Sunshine and the first Galaxy :sigh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

If Nintendo can do for Metroid what it looks like they're doing for Zelda it'll be the best drat thing.

I just have this image of Sakurai trying to step in to share notes with the newer programmers, only to be quietly herded out by Miyamoto.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Geostomp posted:

I want a big "No Sakamotos" sign outside the door.

Dammit, I got them mixed up :cripes:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

Watch as the NX changes nothing and we get another, even bigger and clunkier gamepad.

If the Handheld theories are true, it might even have two :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Harrow posted:

Hard to say without knowing what the NX really is. I'm leaning towards maybe getting an NX with it just for the better visuals, but I'm not sure.

Even with the usual dearth of post-launch releases (for any console), Breath of the Wild will probably keep you going for ages.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SirPenguin posted:

We'll see. This is the first article I've seen that's speculated he's talking about graphics - everything else i've heard has speculated he was answering in a "this isn't a Twilight Princess situation" sort of way

The game was looking pretty rough at spots in the demo in terms of some textures, incredibly bad pop-in, and visible chugging. I'd be shocked if there wasn't some benefit to the NX version, even if it's an indirect one like "yeah i guess we have more RAM now so maybe offload more poo poo there to minimize HDD reads"

Demos tend to be based off an older build rather than the absolute cutting-edge development version, so I'd hold judgement on things like pop-in until release. Especially when it won't be out until next year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smiles posted:

Hmmm this game looks good it will be nice to have something else to play on my Wii U other than Splatoon

(some assassins creed and splinter cell games came free with my console but they're still sealed tho haha)

AC:Black Flag and Splinter Cell Blacklist are both well worth a play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Smiles posted:

Oh cool, I've definitely got Blacklist but the other game is Assassin's Creed III?

Ooh, bummer. ACIII's pretty weak and the only good parts are in the side-content (naval missions and the town sidequests). If yoy've never touched an Assassin's Creed game before, it's not a good entry point either due to it being the climax of the original trilogy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Assassin's Creed IV is the best AC game, and the sole AC game I recommend if nothing else, because it doesn't weigh the whole gameplay on the same-old parkour, instead your pirate ship is a character in itself. You use it to free-roam and level it up to face off stronger foes. It may be a by-the-numbers sandbox game but it has a pleasant Carribean setting and by the time you unlock the diving levels halfway through the story the entire ocean is your oyster.

Money is actually useful for once because there's none of that Renovation nonsense before and after this title. Don't feel like hunting for crocodile skins to craft a bigger wallet? Just buy them from a shop. All the game systems are pretty straight-forward. Explore islands, take over forts, dig up treasure, assassinate dudes and sink enemy ships for money, buy upgrades, repeat.

The weakest parts of the game are when the modern-day meta-plot butts in ( I now loving hate French-Canadians) and there are too many tailing missions in the main campaign. There's also some online tomfoolery that gets in the way of 100% completion.

It's not on WiiU, but AC:Rogue is hands-down better than IV. It actually has an outright-good character-driven story, whereas Edward Kenway spends most of Black Flag going "ugh, fine :rolleyes:" at anything Assassin-related to the point it starts to grate a little, plus you get to go sailing your ship round the frozen north and through the Hudson river valley.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Playing Majora's Mask for the first time and I don't think there's much in videogames as satisfying as starting a cycle and re-beating the Snowfall Temple boss (which owns), getting your sword sharpened, clearing off the goron race entrance, winning it, buying another bomb to open up the ranch and then see whatever it is i'll have to do to get Epona all before noon. Videogames truly are fantasy if I can get so much poo poo done in the morning.

Try taking the gold dust from winning the Goron Races to the sword-sharpener before The Third Day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Ubi's open-world games routinely and easily exceed that number, even if you ignore the eighty thousand global subsidiaries they credit for every game, and they put out multiple large-scale games a year, so they're pretty much running at full production all of the time, unlike a project like Zelda or other longer-burn projects like GTA (which had something like 1000 people working on it by the end) which spend more time in pre-production.

300 people is nothing to sneeze at but it's more impressive that they've achieved something of such scope and quality with a comparatively small team, I think.

Ubisoft also streamlines the poo poo out of their production with standardized assets, so by the time it reaches their veritable army of coders it's probably down to "insert Building Type A here, Tree Type C here". Breath of the Wild on the other hand looks to have a whole lot of unique content.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemming posted:

Guess one way you can fish

Tossing bombs in a lake?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know what I want? Considering how big the game world is, I want to see them bring back the birds from Skyward Sword so you can actually use one as Skyward Sword implied with it's intro - adventuring round the world with your bird buddy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hedrigall posted:

I'm gonna play some fuckin Zeldas to get excited :3:

First up, the copy of TPHD I got day 1 and haven't opened yet.

Then, probably LTTP. I'll see.

Did you get the version with a Wolf Link amiibo? It'll be important later. Plus it's a REALLY pretty amiibo :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The next Zelda game will be a rhythm game where all the incarnations of Link meet up and form a band using their choice instruments.

We already had a Majora's Mask remake!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zyste posted:

That would be pretty cool actually. It would give more substance to WW's intro where the Hero of Time never showed up so a different hero had to emerge. Now OoT Link is back to kick some rear end and put Ganon in his place.

Although, I always assumed in WW that the Hero of Time never showed up because of timeline fuckery.

He was in Termina at the time :pseudo:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Knorth posted:

[X]

I love this Link already :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really don't get how people keep thinking it's "Pre-Flood" Hyrule. We know the Great Flood was around the time of Ocarina, and it involved people running for their lives to the mountain peaks while bad poo poo was still actively going down. Not to mention the Flood also froze Hyrule in time intact at the moment it occurred.

Just looking at the Temple of Time you can tell whatever happened here was over a long time ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

coffeecup posted:

Interesting detail, someone noticed the BotW Koroks seem to be lifted straight from Wind Waker, at least in appearance.

We've seen four so far, and they match four from the original crew (mask design and body shape).

I'm sure that has nothing at all to do with Wind Waker HD being built on the same engine as an early test demo, leaving them with all the assets from it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

C-Euro posted:

I'm playing OoT3D for the first time, and am I getting old or did they make Ingo way harder to race? That fucker cuts me off worse than any inner-city cab I've ever driven behind :argh:

Pace your Carrot usage, never use the last one or you'll slow down.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electromax posted:

Just finished the MM Stone dungeon for the first time, the gravity flip is a cool mechanic. It's too bad that the 4 dungeons feel pretty abbreviated to me, I assume due to the 3-day time limit. Felt like a big complex thing was about to kickoff with lots of flipping, but then I only had to do it like twice before I beat the boss and one of those was just for fairies.

I'd never done that or Great Bay water Temple, but they didn't quite exceed Water and Spirit from OoT. I'm also replaying WW at the same time, really enjoy the Deku Leaf but again after beating the Tower and realizing I only have 2 big dungeons left + the final one, it does feel short. OoT feels about right in length to me I guess, TP felt a little long but I haven't replayed since 2007 so I'm curious to see if my opinion changes. MM has some pretty fun stuff between levels though.

Majora's Mask isn't really a game about the Temples like other Zeldas, it's about the people you meet going about their daily lives in the face of impending doom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

You'll be able to revive the wolf somehow.

It's not confirmed since we don't know anything about NX yet but there's no way it won't have amiibo support with how successful they've been.

There was no way in hell the NX wasn't going to have amiibo support. Especially when the only interaction it needs is an NFC receiver.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Even Nintendo knew better than to try a digital-only console :allears:.

Hail carts, returning to fight those evil newfangled Playstation discs again after twenty years :corsair:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electromax posted:

For what it's worth I think it's just some diagram Eurogamer drew based on some general descriptions.

It also looks suspiciously like the WiiU Gamepad prototype

So I wouldn't be surprised if this is a round of the blind men and the elephant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silver Falcon posted:

Skyward Sword's biggest sin is you can't name your bird.

You're supposed to have this really deep special bond with your bird and it doesn't even have a name. I called mine Kazooie.

A real deep bond, more special than any other... that is completely irrelevant past the first hour of the game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Don't you need to hold up on the thumbstick as well?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jivjov posted:

I really think Nintendo's got a solid strategy here..wait til a project hits a 1.0 release (AM2R's been in development for years and has had a handful of playable demos), then wait a day or two, then do the copyright takedown. Everyone wins, Nintendo defends their IP as they are more or less obligated to do...but there's enough of a window for fans to get ahold of the final product. And once it's out there somewhere, it will never be truly gone.

It's probably because it didn't have major publicity until it was actually done and out the door.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

I've gotta be getting close to the end of SS now. Just finished fire temple. What a loving slog this game is.

Not even close, iirc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alec Eiffel posted:

Kakariko Village is a Western movie one horse town

No it isn't. You can't get Epona up the ledge :colbert:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Soul Glo posted:

gently caress yeah, that'd be rad.

That's pretty much exactly how it'll be - they said it's possible to avoid seeing story bits if you want to. Or you can even just beeline for the final boss right off the bat.